Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,621 members, 7,827,322 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 10:34 AM

Nigerian's In South Africa What Are They Doing For A Living? - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerian's In South Africa What Are They Doing For A Living? (56850 Views)

SUV Carrying US Holiday Makers Plunges Into River In South Africa (Photos) / How To Make It As A Nigerian In America In 2014 / Any Nigerian In Georgia? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian's In South Africa What Are They Doing For A Living? by richman3: 4:18pm On Oct 24, 2009
The worst place in south africa can be compared to the best place in Nigeria in terms of eviroment. but the isue that baffles me is that i went to south africa, about 90 per cent of Nigerians that migrate to south africa are living worser than they were in Nigeria. my aim of going there was to stay. but when intracted with people i met there i was disapointed. cos almost all of them told me you cant survive in south africa wihout dealing with drug or engage in arm robery, whereby risking 20 years inprisoment and you must go to home affairs four times a year to collect refugee paper to enable you walk on street, whereby you promise them not go back to your country. if you go to one area called hilbrow were there is a concetration of Nigerians you share tears cos many nigeians that cant rob or sell drugs are dying of hunger, sleeping in club wherbeby 4am in the morning the club will close and drive them away. and they stand in cold till morning. the worst is that you cannot deport yourself for you need to pay 1500 rand TC to enable them deport you while you dont have 10 rand to eat. o boy when i study all the situation there i use my return ticket enter naija b4 i turn street boy, o

7 Likes

Re: Nigerian's In South Africa What Are They Doing For A Living? by Rebarobyn: 4:32pm On Oct 24, 2009
lol, good for you, its not just south africa o, even in the UK and USA and Europe, many people would rather stay there in the name of "I am abroad" than work harder and honestly at home, there is no place in this world where there is no hardship, but if you tell our naija people they will think you are an enemy of progress,

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian's In South Africa What Are They Doing For A Living? by Nobody: 4:35pm On Oct 24, 2009
rich man:

The worst place in south africa can be compared to the best place in Nigeria in terms of eviroment. but the isue that baffles me is that i went to south africa, about 90 per cent of Nigerians that migrate to south africa are living worser than they were in Nigeria. my aim of going there was to stay. but when intracted with people i met there i was disapointed. cos almost all of them told me you cant survive in south africa wihout dealing with drug or engage in arm robery, whereby risking 20 years inprisoment and you must go to home affairs four times a year to collect refugee paper to enable you walk on street, whereby you promise them not go back to your country. if you go to one area called hilbrow were there is a concetration of Nigerians you share tears cos many nigeians that cant rob or sell drugs are dying of hunger, sleeping in club  wherbeby 4am in the morning the club will close and drive them away. and they stand in cold till morning. the worst is that you cannot deport yourself for you need to pay 1500 rand TC to enable them deport you while you dont have 10 rand to eat. o[b] boy when i study all the situation there i use my return ticket enter naija b4 i turn street boy, o[/b]

undecided
Re: Nigerian's In South Africa What Are They Doing For A Living? by justwise(m): 4:36pm On Oct 24, 2009
@rich man.

U maybe rich man by name but u are a poor minded man. If u had only visited worst area in South Africa and met up with 419ners and armed robbers how then can u generalise what Nigerians in other part of South Africa does? Who even told u that the worst part of South Africa is to be compared to the best place in Nigeria? Where is Nigeria do u live? Are u learning how to talk?

12 Likes

Re: Nigerian's In South Africa What Are They Doing For A Living? by dinggle: 6:15pm On Oct 25, 2009
I wish there was a way to expand this topic, so that Nigerians in the villages will know that when most people return home with glitter, they probably did some bad. I rather join MEND to fight and die for a purpose at home or become a basic farmer than die on the street abroad without a purpose or waiting endlessly for luck to change my life abroad. I'm sure that many people dont understand how cold, cold really is, know matter how u protect ur self and how much warm clothes you put on, it will start from ur feet and go all the way.

Poster thnks for posting ur experience, I haven't been to SA but I readily identify with ur post.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian's In South Africa What Are They Doing For A Living? by RSA(m): 11:32am On Oct 26, 2009
At poster,you've hit it in the nail.

Four years ago me and my wife met Jonah(who was from Nigeria,I am a South African) at our church,he just happen to visit our church that sunday.We introduced ourself and invited him for lunch at our home.he told us how he ended in South Africa,and how his 'brother' lied to him and took his money and other sad stories about his ordeal.I asked him what can we do to help,he said he just needed a place to stay,and if we could help him for couple of days he will find a job and a place.We had a room on our compound that was used by our babysitter and we told him he can stay there until he's OK,he was a qualified mechanic's and because I had and old car he use to fix it for me and I would pay for his services,even though he tried to refuse to take my money but I insisted.

I knew this other guy who had a workshop and I arrange for Jonah to meet him,and he got a job.And after a while because of his honest and hardwork people started to ask him to fix their cars on his sparetime,and my yard became a workshop of some sort,we registered a company and where lucky that an old couple where selling their workshop premises with all the equipment.

Today Jonah's workshop has 10 employees,four of them are Naijas and five Zimbabweans and two SA-cans,we have a turnover of 2 million rand,yes I am minority shareholder because I sold some of my shares to him,it's his baby.

The moral of the story is it's not easy out there but sometime you go through difficult time before you hit the good time.There is a better chance of you succeeding in the foreign land than in your own.Because when you're on your own survival instinct kicks in,you cant fail,failure is not an option.

Jonah visit Naija whenever he fill like it,he attends wedding,funerals and other family functions,he visits his brother in US whenever he can.I guess at this moment he doesn't regred ever coming to SA.

26 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian's In South Africa What Are They Doing For A Living? by Nobody: 11:43am On Oct 26, 2009
RSA:

At poster,you've hit it in the nail.

Four years ago me and my wife met Jonah(who was from Nigeria,I am a South African) at our church,he just happen to visit our church that sunday.We introduced ourself and invited him for lunch at our home.he told us how he ended in South Africa,and how his 'brother' lied to him and took his money and other sad stories about his ordeal.I asked him what can we do to help,he said he just needed a place to stay,and if we could help him for couple of days he will find a job and a place.We had a room on our compound that was used by our babysitter and we told him he can stay there until he's OK,he was a qualified mechanic's and because I had and old car he use to fix it for me and I would pay for his services,even though he tried to refuse to take my money but I insisted.

I knew this other guy who had a workshop and I arrange for Jonah to meet him,and he got a job.And after a while because of his honest and hardwork people started to ask him to fix their cars on his sparetime,and my yard became a workshop of some sort,we registered a company and where lucky that an old couple where selling their workshop premises with all the equipment.

Today Jonah's workshop has 10 employees,four of them are Naijas and five Zimbabweans and two SA-cans,we have a turnover of 2 million rand,yes I am minority shareholder because I sold some of my shares to him,it's his baby.

The moral of the story is it's not easy out there but sometime you go through difficult time before you hit the good time.There is a better chance of you succeeding in the foreign land than in your own.Because when you're on your own survival instinct kicks in,you cant fail,failure is not an option.

Jonah visit Naija whenever he fill like it,he attends wedding,funerals and other family functions,he visits his brother in US whenever he can.I guess at this moment he doesn't regred ever coming to SA.

hmm, I feel you bro, Nice one

He is really lucky and because he was also talented & skillful, I believe he met God intervention cool

Everybody with his own destiny

Jonah case was different:::

This situation doesn't apply to everybody ooo,
Re: Nigerian's In South Africa What Are They Doing For A Living? by ichommy(m): 11:52am On Oct 26, 2009
hmmmmmm great story thanks RSA wink
Re: Nigerian's In South Africa What Are They Doing For A Living? by dinggle: 8:02pm On Oct 26, 2009
Thanks RSA for the tale!

Pls naijas dont use that story to conclude ur decision in going to SA what RSA didnt say was what Jonah went through before he met him, how he slept and fed etc and how many yrs he endured?? how long it took for Jonah to stay with him before he got a job and initial sacrifices they both made before the became high earners! how they arranged the money to buy the work shop??, pls how skillful was skillful to have allowed Jonah much recognition.

This story happens to 1 of 10,000 Nigerians so the odd of it happening to you is near impossible but not impossible.
Yes, I agree with RSA about survival instinct thing kicking in, but u have to be Godly with good intentions to allow your survival instinct take you places. Plus u equally need a partner with a Godly heart. If RSA was greedy he would have felt more superior to Jonah know that he is just and foreigner without any backbone and could have taken serious advantage of him including using and killing him. We have not heard stories from that angle cos those it happened to never lived to tell their tales.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian's In South Africa What Are They Doing For A Living? by backspade(m): 8:13pm On Oct 26, 2009
@ RSA

May the lord continue to bless you and your family. You are a good man.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian's In South Africa What Are They Doing For A Living? by Akaraiwe(m): 11:04pm On Oct 26, 2009
U are a good man ke?, Thats is RSA side of the story,una know Jonah,if the story is real make im(jonah) yarn una im own partof the story,
Re: Nigerian's In South Africa What Are They Doing For A Living? by ichommy(m): 10:34am On Oct 27, 2009
hmmmm no wonder AKARAIWE MAN mind your speech here ok why are you talk like that rubbish abajo new member grin
Re: Nigerian's In South Africa What Are They Doing For A Living? by hadexman(m): 8:26pm On Oct 27, 2009
rich man:

The worst place in south africa can be compared to the best place in Nigeria in terms of eviroment. but the isue that baffles me is that i went to south africa, about 90 per cent of Nigerians that migrate to south africa are living worser than they were in Nigeria. my aim of going there was to stay. but when intracted with people i met there i was disapointed. cos almost all of them told me you cant survive in south africa wihout dealing with drug or engage in arm robery, whereby risking 20 years inprisoment and you must go to home affairs four times a year to collect refugee paper to enable you walk on street, whereby you promise them not go back to your country. if you go to one area called hilbrow were there is a concetration of Nigerians you share tears cos many nigeians that cant rob or sell drugs are dying of hunger, sleeping in club wherbeby 4am in the morning the club will close and drive them away. and they stand in cold till morning. the worst is that you cannot deport yourself for you need to pay 1500 rand TC to enable them deport you while you dont have 10 rand to eat. o boy when i study all the situation there i use my return ticket enter naija b4 i turn street boy, o

I think Justwise said it all, It's a pity you only saw the most dangerous place in SA, if you visited other cities, you might not even recongnise a Nigerian except they speak their language, Igbo boizs, LOL
Re: Nigerian's In South Africa What Are They Doing For A Living? by morpheus24: 8:41pm On Oct 27, 2009
rich man:

What kind of stupidity is that. I challenge you richman to go spend a week in the cape flats compared to Hilbroe. If you come out without your eyes shinning red from smoking too much "tick"you will rephrase that statement concerning worst place vs best place

Can you imagine !!!
Re: Nigerian's In South Africa What Are They Doing For A Living? by Akaraiwe(m): 7:46am On Oct 28, 2009
@ichommy, nna i just dey yarn u the truth,na RSA yarn the story, 'were u there?', abt being new, check well well, anyway na u get ur mouth sha, if u like take am chop garlic
Re: Nigerian's In South Africa What Are They Doing For A Living? by RSA(m): 9:23am On Oct 28, 2009
backspade:

@ RSA

May the lord continue to bless you and your family. You are a good man.

Thank you for your wishes,well I was not looking for self glory,and when we invited Jonah at our home I wasn't expecting anything back.But Jonah became a blessing in our family,I was a young small businessman with a new family and a baby and after we bought the workshop I was able to grow my other business and ventured in new ones.All this because of that Sunday.
Jonah introduced me to Naija,and since then I have made lots of friends from Naija,that is why I'm on nairaland.

Akaraiwe:

U are a good man ke?, Thats is RSA side of the story,una know Jonah,if the story is real make im(jonah) yarn una im own partof the story,

Yes you're right,this could easily be a made up story,but its not about whether you believe it or not,its about me telling you my experience.Maybe Jonah did the same on other forums,I'm addicted to nairaland and it's my corner.I have said some nasty things about Naija and its peeps on this forum and wont want my friends to know I can say all this about their country grin(Morpheus knows the story)
Point I was trying to make is, there are good people in this world with good hearts and intentions.I am where I am today because of my friend Jonah,I'm thirty and could not have wished for a better life.Now when we look back we realised that it was destiny.

@Diggle you're right,my freind went through a lot before he landed at our church,about sleeping at clubs,he went through that and he doesn't drink nor smoke.He went through some very difficult time,but he was always telling me about the Naijaman spirit,he used to say impossible is not Nigerian.I learned a lot from him.Like I've learned to comment on everything even if I know very little about grin as long as I could be heard grin

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian's In South Africa What Are They Doing For A Living? by dreamplus(f): 10:57pm On Oct 30, 2009
South Africa? 2 ppl i know there are trying to find their way back to Nigeria, south africa is not the only place where there are hardships, even in developed countries,
Re: Nigerian's In South Africa What Are They Doing For A Living? by mevisbleek: 6:22pm On Nov 01, 2009
@all, i am jonah and i stay in SA, the story that was told about me is tue, i am now a big boy, i thank baba God, i am now chilling

4 Likes

Re: Nigerian's In South Africa What Are They Doing For A Living? by RSA(m): 8:07am On Nov 02, 2009
mevisbleek:

@all, i am jonah and i stay in SA, the story that was told about me is tue, i am now a big boy, i thank baba God, i am now chilling

grin grin grin grin

my friend that was a true story.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian's In South Africa What Are They Doing For A Living? by Nobody: 8:18am On Nov 02, 2009
rich man:

o boy when i study all the situation there i use my return ticket enter naija b4 i turn street boy, o

grin
Re: Nigerian's In South Africa What Are They Doing For A Living? by FEMARY(m): 9:25pm On Nov 21, 2009
RSA
THANKS RSA.YOUR NARRATION IS I AN INSIPIRATION.GOD BLESS YOU.THATS THE NIGERIAN SPIRIT-EVERY IS POSSIBLE SPIRIT.PLS HOW MUCH IS A ROOM SELF-CONTAIN.I AT BELIEVE ANYMAN CAN SURVIVE ANYWHERE IF HE IS DETERMINED.

PLS I NEED THIS IFORMATION FROM YOU.
1.IF AM ON A THREE MONTH VISA,CAN I GET A JOB AS AN IT SUPPORT ON SA.
2.WHATS THE COST OF RENTING AN APARTMENT?
3.AND BESIDES DO THEY RENT APARTMENT FOR LIKE 2-3MONTH
Re: Nigerian's In South Africa What Are They Doing For A Living? by buffnaija: 12:31pm On Nov 22, 2009
its a waste of time telling Nigerians to look inward. they always think outside Nigeria is paradise. Well NOOOOOO. These countries are build with sweat and hard labor. so if you expect to come here and live high life , you are just deceiving yourself. there are lots of people that are doing well in Naija. Nigerian Government , just needs to invest massively in Infrastructure.
Re: Nigerian's In South Africa What Are They Doing For A Living? by richman3: 3:57pm On Nov 22, 2009
you that is looking for self contain in south Africa. self contain goes for R2400/ MONTH which N48000 per month. so you share with three other pple. one person N12000.
remember no matter your certificate you cant get a job in south africa until 5 years when they will isue you job permit. and no menial job there. so you are left with two options. (1) selling drugs) (2) arm robery. may be three 419 =yahoo.
so choose one.

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigerian's In South Africa What Are They Doing For A Living? by hadexman(m): 4:28pm On Nov 22, 2009
rich man:

you that is looking for self contain in south Africa. self contain goes for R2400/ MONTH which N48000 per month. so you share with three other pple.  one person N12000.
remember no matter your certificate you cant get a job in south africa until 5 years when they will isue you job permit. and no menial job there. so you are left with two options. (1) selling drugs) (2) arm robery. may be three  419 =yahoo.
so choose one.

You are right, but am sorry i don't agree to this: remember no matter your certificate you cant get a job in south africa until 5 years when they will isue you job permit.

That is very wrong, you can be issued a work permit only if you applied for it, I have a study and work permit, even now am planning to apply for a business permit because I have families in Nigeria which i wanna bring in.

Its not like as if there is no job in SA, but they don't want to give jobs to a Nigerian due to the bad image we have in the country. Other african counties get jobs easily.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian's In South Africa What Are They Doing For A Living? by hadexman(m): 4:34pm On Nov 22, 2009
FEMARY:

RSA
THANKS RSA.YOUR NARRATION IS I AN INSIPIRATION.GOD BLESS YOU.THATS THE NIGERIAN SPIRIT-EVERY IS POSSIBLE SPIRIT.PLS HOW MUCH IS A ROOM SELF-CONTAIN.I AT BELIEVE ANYMAN CAN SURVIVE ANYWHERE IF HE IS DETERMINED.

PLS I NEED THIS IFORMATION FROM YOU.
1.IF AM ON A THREE MONTH VISA,CAN I GET A JOB AS AN IT SUPPORT ON SA.
2.WHATS THE COST OF RENTING AN APARTMENT?
3.AND BESIDES DO THEY RENT APARTMENT FOR LIKE 2-3MONTH

I have answered your post in so many thread, Apartment/flat is expensive depending on where you wanna stay and what you looking for. I pay R3,000 for a one and half bed room flat, I live in the city center of durban.

Don't be deceive, you are issued 3months visa but you are expected to stay 1 month. If you stay long more than that, you become illegal. So your best option is to quickly apply for a permit.
Re: Nigerian's In South Africa What Are They Doing For A Living? by richman3: 7:14pm On Nov 22, 2009
i am not in doubt if they isue job permit or not. how long does it take to get it and what are the proceses involved?. remember your visa expires in a month. and as a hustler you might not have more than $1000 as bta.in my opinion south africa is not made for a Nigerian hustler. is better for the rich so the person can invest. you know what it entails to invest in a forign country ? another option is that if you are working with a multynational company in Nigria and you are sent to south by the company you dont have problem. south Africa is not good for a hustler. no matter what, unless the person is ready to risk 20 years jail term by indulging in ilegal business.
Re: Nigerian's In South Africa What Are They Doing For A Living? by hadexman(m): 9:10pm On Nov 22, 2009
rich man:

i am not in doubt if they isue job permit or not. how long does it take to get it and what are the proceses involved?. remember your visa expires in a month. and as a hustler you might not have more than $1000 as bta.in my opinion south africa is not made for a Nigerian hustler. is better for the rich so the person can invest. you know what it entails to invest in a forign country ? another option is that if you are working with a multynational company in Nigria and you are sent to south by the company you dont have problem. south Africa is not good for a hustler. no matter what, unless the person is ready to risk 20 years jail term by indulging in ilegal business.

Yeah true, SA is not good for hustlers. Most Nigerians engage in business, am running an internet cafe business also. Well, as for me, I don't think a work permit is hard, all you need is to do the arrange marriage with a South African citizen and then you will be given a work permit for 2 years.

The process takes 3-5 working days.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian's In South Africa What Are They Doing For A Living? by Nobody: 10:45pm On Nov 22, 2009
remember no matter your certificate you cant get a job in south africa until 5 years when they will isue you job permit. and no menial job there. so you are left with two options. (1) selling drugs) (2) arm robery. may be three 419 =yahoo.
so choose one.

Re: Nigerian's In South Africa What Are They Doing For A Living? by richman3: 12:49pm On Nov 23, 2009
you wen choose yahoozee! hope you know say them nor they collect bribe. if you are cut 20yrs jail no option of fine.

you when say them they use 3-5 workings days marry for south, ask well if e dey like that b4 nor be now.oo them go collect your money R4000, WHICH IS N80,000 them GO DEY PROMISE you everyday say ur paper go come out soon until you tire. and you nor fit call police for them. abeg make research very well!
Re: Nigerian's In South Africa What Are They Doing For A Living? by hadexman(m): 1:13pm On Nov 23, 2009
rich man:

you wen choose yahoozee! hope you know say them nor they collect bribe. if you are cut 20yrs jail no option of fine.

you when say them they use 3-5 workings days marry for south, ask well if e dey like that b4 nor be now.oo them go collect your money R4000, WHICH IS N80,000 them GO DEY PROMISE you everyday say your paper go come out soon until you tire. and you nor fit call police for them. abeg make research very well!

Wethin be your problem guy? I am telling you something you dey argue, that's the normal processing, I did it and have assist 3 friends also.
Re: Nigerian's In South Africa What Are They Doing For A Living? by karanne: 2:44pm On Jul 19, 2010
hey Richman

im doing research on Nigerians living in SA and nigerians experiences in South Africa in general. so could you pls email me so we can discuss your experience. researchers88@hotmail.com
Re: Nigerian's In South Africa What Are They Doing For A Living? by olubunmi80: 10:07am On Jul 20, 2010
i think the poster is an igbo man (lol).they the ones spoiling Nigerians in south Africa. i was there for 3 wks last year on vacation and truthfully i didnt want to come back. i stayed in jo'burg and Capetown. the poster should have visited place s like sandton and he he wil see Nigerians working and living fine at malls like sandton mall and village walk, in Capetown Nigerians are also there living well and doing good.
infact my friend that i went to visit in capetown stays in a lovely estate where there are only two blackfamilies and they re Nigerians. the husband was transffered from the company he works for here and they live comfortably there.i asked her if i can relocate there , and she explained to me thats its not easy for you to just ease in there and start working, u will ave to first pay your dues just loke anywhere else in the world.
and after a while yur hard work will pay off . every Nigerian there is not a robber , a thief or 419. its only those who migrate for the wrong reasons that suffer.
if you are insightful, u will see that SouthAfrica has good stores where u can buy things and come and ressell in nigeria . it will shock you that you can buy alot wt just $1000 in southafrica and you will make profit.
at least thats wht i did. Nigerians should learn to do the right things to avoid sufferring in another mans land.

5 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Odonla Ilaje, Ondo: A Village That Lives On Water But Can Barely Get Water / Canada Desperate To Stop Nigerians From Coming To The Country-SR / Intimacy gadget Found In A Passenger's Luggage While Search Was Going On.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.