Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,581 members, 7,812,898 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 09:40 PM

North East Development Commission Bill: An Unpatriotic And Unfortunate Bill - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / North East Development Commission Bill: An Unpatriotic And Unfortunate Bill (26057 Views)

South East Development Commission Bill Excites Lawmakers (Photos) / Bill To Create South East Development Commission Fails / There’s A Gang-up To Kill South-east Commission Bill – Deputy Minority Leader (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

North East Development Commission Bill: An Unpatriotic And Unfortunate Bill by TonyeBarcanista(m): 6:44pm On Oct 23, 2016
Few days ago, the Nigeria Senate passed a bill establishing the North-East Development Commission (NEDC). The proposed NEDC was meant to be an intervention agency that will facilitate the rebuilding of the North-eastern part of the country that was revaged by Boko Haram. While, I am not against rebuilding of the region, I am against the establishment of a commission to be funded by the people of Nigeria.

I am in shock that forty-seven Senators from the seventeen states in the southern part of Nigeria would assent to such unpatriotic bill that only favors the elite of a section of the country. I am also at loss with words that these same Senators joined their northern counterparts to oppose and reject the bill to grant Lagos a special status but saw nothing amiss in the so-called North East development commission.

NEDC Bill, An Unpatriotic Bill
The NEDC bill is the most unpatriotic bill since the advent of our democracy. Why should 3% of the Nation's VAT revenue be channeled to just Northeast alone? Is the Northeast the only part of Nigeria that has witnessed insurrection and destruction in this country? Was there Eastern Development Commission (or South East Development Commission) after the civil war to rebuild the region that hosted the bloody confrontation between the separatist led by Ikemba Ojukwu and Nigeria State that lasted for three years and destroyed several infrastructures? Why is there no North-Central Development Commission to rebuild the region ravaged by those terrorists hiding as Fulani herdsmen?

Is it not ridiculous that the Senate is telling the Nigeria State and Nigerians to bear the responsibility of fending for the Northeast when the so-called Boko Haram could be traced to failure of the elites from the Northeast region to instill social responsibility on their young ones? Why should the South not enjoy special privileges considering that they are the people that chun out most of our revenue? Why should the Northeast, whose contribution to the federal purse is almost non-existent still enjoy 3% of VAT from the South as well as their regular allocation?

This proposed NEDC is the height of irresponsibility and unpatriotism.

Who Allowed Boko Haram Activities To Fester?
I believe Nigerians must be informed on what transpired with respect to the efforts of the past administration to curb Boko-Haram. When the Army led by Gen Ihejirika confronted the terrorists in Baga, in April 2013, the Northeastern elders and elite came out to "condemn the army" for killing their people, and even petitioned Amnesty International, crying genocide. In May 2013 when President Goodluck Jonathan declared State of Emergency (SOE) on the areas affected by Boko Haram, the same Northeastern elite condemned the declaration. The next month, June 2013 when the government of Jonathan proscribed Boko Haram, and officially declared it a terrorist organisation, the North, faulted the move. Specifically, the Arewa Consultative Forum, Northern Youth Consultative Forum, and Northern Elders Forum faulted it. In July 2013, when the United Kingdom officially proscribed Boko Haram, non of these Northern elite were happy with the move. When the USA in November 2013 followed the step of the UK, the same Northern elite were nowhere to hail the move. So who allowed the BH activities to linger and cause so much damage? If they had cooperated perhaps Boko Haram would have been decimated before causing much damage.

I Am Not Against Northeast Development But...
If the Northeast in their wisdom believe that it is time to rebuild their region, why can't they pull resources together to do so just like the governors of the then southeast did in rebuilding their region after the "uncivil" war? Why should they still expect 3% of our lean resources to take care of a problem that they (Northern elite) encouraged? Money that isn't enough to take care of the needs of the people bringing the resources.

I am not against rebuilding the Northeast, but I am against robbing Peter to pay Ibrahim. You can't continue to reject Lagos bid for 1% revenue despite being the highest contributor to our VAT; Niger Delta bid for resource control and increment in oil derivative, despite being the producer of the revenue, and then turn around to reward Northeast with 3% of our VAT despite the fact that their problem was self-inflicted and they contribute nothing significant to the national purse.

In fact, the northeast should rather be grateful to their southern counterpart for helping them fund the resources to prosecute the insurgency at the expense of capital development, as well as the continuous allocation they receive every month. They should not bother to get more than these.

The House Must Kill The Bill...
While it is unfortunate that the Senate threw patriotism out of the window to pass the NEDC bill with our own representatives down south playing the unfortunate role of willing tool. Thank God that the House of Representative is yet to decide on the proposed bill.

I believe that for the sake of patriotism and National interest, the House, specifically the contingents from the South must stand against this bill in its entirety. Doing otherwise will be interpreted as a complete sellout and betrayal of trust by our representatives.

If the northeast want to be rebuilt, they should by themselves pay the sacrifice by using their own resources to fix their mistake or they should seek funds elsewhere.

May God Bless Us All And Bless Nigeria

227 Likes 34 Shares

Re: North East Development Commission Bill: An Unpatriotic And Unfortunate Bill by oduastates: 6:46pm On Oct 23, 2016
47 senators from the south did not. Lagos state senators definitely didn't and I doubt Ekiti and Ondo did.
What you see is the dying breath of a failed state.

49 Likes 2 Shares

Re: North East Development Commission Bill: An Unpatriotic And Unfortunate Bill by Nobody: 6:46pm On Oct 23, 2016
First, have you been to the Northeast to have firsthand experience of the destruction wrought by Boko Haram?

Second, why are you against this patriotic act of lending a hand in rebuilding the Northeast? Shouldn't we be our brothers' keeper?

Third, the bill will definitely sail through in the lower house. The honourable members are guided by facts, not hatred and tribalism.

The Southern senators who voted in favour of the bill are citizens who identify with the dire situation the people of the Northeast find themselves. Whether the armed group was allowed to fester by the elite or not won't rebuild schools, fight the scourge of war nor provide nutrient to highly malnourished children. The people of the Northeast have suffered enough. They need empathy, Tonye, not scorn and sneer.

By the way, other regions can agitate for a development commission if they have the political weight to pull it through.

51 Likes 8 Shares

Re: North East Development Commission Bill: An Unpatriotic And Unfortunate Bill by TonyeBarcanista(m): 6:47pm On Oct 23, 2016
oduastates:
47 senators from the south did not. Lagos state senators definitely didn't and I doubt Ekiti and Ondo did.
They will still bear the backlash irrespective angry
Re: North East Development Commission Bill: An Unpatriotic And Unfortunate Bill by lacasera14(m): 6:49pm On Oct 23, 2016
Ummm is this nairaland?
Re: North East Development Commission Bill: An Unpatriotic And Unfortunate Bill by ezechueze(m): 6:50pm On Oct 23, 2016
OK
Re: North East Development Commission Bill: An Unpatriotic And Unfortunate Bill by sarrki(m): 6:52pm On Oct 23, 2016
I agree with you 100%

Southern politician are only concerned about self alone

While the northern part think of there immediate

environment and the north at large

Another problem the southern part of the country is

facing is the rivalry among different ethnic group

37 Likes 1 Share

Re: North East Development Commission Bill: An Unpatriotic And Unfortunate Bill by TonyeBarcanista(m): 7:00pm On Oct 23, 2016
sarrki:
I agree with you 100%

Southern politician are only concerned about self alone

While the northern part think of there immediate

environment and the north at large

Another problem the southern part of the country is

facing is the rivalry among different ethnic group

That so called NEDC is an aberration and a fraud to further give more to the north at the expense of the south.

73 Likes 2 Shares

Re: North East Development Commission Bill: An Unpatriotic And Unfortunate Bill by dEastActivist: 7:04pm On Oct 23, 2016
There is nothing wrong with this bill.

The SE and SS mostly Igbos are in full support.

The northern senators should in matter of patriotism lender same support for the similar SE development commission bill to be created, sponsored and passed that will foresee the implementation of the 3Rs that was recommended by the FG.

Pls Somebody should stop getting jealous and hating.
Lagos didn't suffer any crises to warrant any monetary intervention of any sort from the FG thats why the bill failed, even the op didn't support it but to score cheap political points has made him seems he is in support. Yorubas should beware.

39 Likes 2 Shares

Re: North East Development Commission Bill: An Unpatriotic And Unfortunate Bill by richidinho(m): 7:04pm On Oct 23, 2016
Nigeria expired since 2015

Give abokii all the govt allocation, almajiri will still be roaming about in the region

80 Likes 2 Shares

Re: North East Development Commission Bill: An Unpatriotic And Unfortunate Bill by Sweetguy25: 7:05pm On Oct 23, 2016
Its a patriotic bill. The bill to grant Lagos a special status was pointless and unreasonable, the NEDC bill isn't.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: North East Development Commission Bill: An Unpatriotic And Unfortunate Bill by sarrki(m): 7:06pm On Oct 23, 2016
TonyeBarcanista:
That so called NEDC is an aberration and a fraud to further give more to the north at the expense of the south.

Very correct

We keep fighting online

We claimed to be exposed

We acquire all the degrees of this world

Yet our region lacks all the basic infrastructure

When it comes to politics give it to the north

They use our weakness as their strength

Divide and rule

I pray we can make ammend by 2019

31 Likes 2 Shares

Re: North East Development Commission Bill: An Unpatriotic And Unfortunate Bill by TonyeBarcanista(m): 7:06pm On Oct 23, 2016
Sweetguy25:
Its a patriotic bill.
What makes it a patriotic bill? How does it serve the interest of the entire country?

10 Likes

Re: North East Development Commission Bill: An Unpatriotic And Unfortunate Bill by dEastActivist: 7:09pm On Oct 23, 2016
Sweetguy25:
Its a patriotic bill.

Spot on...
Don't mind the delusional minded folks that thinks everything is all about being partisan in expense of unity and patriotism.

7 Likes

Re: North East Development Commission Bill: An Unpatriotic And Unfortunate Bill by TonyeBarcanista(m): 7:10pm On Oct 23, 2016
sarrki:

Very correct

We keep fighting online

We claimed to be exposed

We acquire all the degrees of this world

Yet our region lacks all the basic infrastructure

When it comes to politics give it to the north

They use our weakness as their strength

Divide and rule

I pray we can make ammend by 2019
The reason Kwankwaso added "Plateau state" was simply to give legitimacy to his Kano state. It is all about the Northern elite ploy to get more from the Nigeria State.

They are good politically because they only empower puppets and dummies from our region(South) into positions that will strictly adhere to their bidding.

This NEDC must not be allowed to see the light of day.

50 Likes 7 Shares

Re: North East Development Commission Bill: An Unpatriotic And Unfortunate Bill by Sibrah: 7:10pm On Oct 23, 2016
Like Biafra, BH tried to break Nigeria. Why the national donation?

28 Likes 1 Share

Re: North East Development Commission Bill: An Unpatriotic And Unfortunate Bill by sarrki(m): 7:13pm On Oct 23, 2016
Sibrah:

A sane question

20 Likes

Re: North East Development Commission Bill: An Unpatriotic And Unfortunate Bill by Sibrah: 7:14pm On Oct 23, 2016
TonyeBarcanista:

The reason Kwankwaso added "Plateau state" was simply to give legitimacy to his Kano state. It is all about the Northern elite ploy to get more from the Nigeria State.

They are good politically because they only empower puppets and dummies from our region(South) into positions that will strictly adhere to their bidding.

This NEDC must not be allowed to see the light of day.
In addition, why use VAT to fund re-construction? Did the people of Nigeria destroy the North East? The injustice in this country is just too much.

51 Likes

Re: North East Development Commission Bill: An Unpatriotic And Unfortunate Bill by Sealeddeal(m): 7:14pm On Oct 23, 2016
Wailing Zombies.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: North East Development Commission Bill: An Unpatriotic And Unfortunate Bill by Young03(m): 7:15pm On Oct 23, 2016
Barcanista why are u wailing?
don't u know seat house?
here is Nairaland, go to senate and stop speaking from both mouth.
its now that ur realising that the north is marginalizing the south.?
your brothers from SS/SW will continue being slaves to the north..

walks out of thread majestically

22 Likes

Re: North East Development Commission Bill: An Unpatriotic And Unfortunate Bill by TonyeBarcanista(m): 7:16pm On Oct 23, 2016
Sibrah:
Exactly the question. Why should we pay for something that is entirely their fault? why can't they rebuild it themselves or seek alternative source?

13 Likes

Re: North East Development Commission Bill: An Unpatriotic And Unfortunate Bill by Nobody: 7:16pm On Oct 23, 2016
TonyeBarcanista:

Thank God you just made your true intention known. I didn't bother reading your write up cos its always littered with trash. Meanwhile when the NDDC was formed, ba kwome, when they handed SS Ministry of Niger Delta Affairs, ba kwome, Derivation fumd, no problem. Now the Federal government is trying to rebuild a war ravaged region and your here talking. Now using lagos as your guinea pig you blaady hypocrite. Keep hating, the North will always be at the Summit. Deal with it or escape to cameroun

24 Likes 4 Shares

Re: North East Development Commission Bill: An Unpatriotic And Unfortunate Bill by dEastActivist: 7:17pm On Oct 23, 2016
Sibrah:

BH was nothing like Biafra.

BH is a terrorist group. But I don't think a sane mind will utter this rubbish you posted.

51 Likes 4 Shares

Re: North East Development Commission Bill: An Unpatriotic And Unfortunate Bill by Intrepid01(m): 7:18pm On Oct 23, 2016
You see this enmity and rivalry between the southerners will continue to hunt us for a long time to come. Northerners are always united while southerners; Yorubas, Igbos and NDeltans never unite on anything. How could you open your eyes and agree that the bulk of money made from the south (VAT) should be used to specially develop north. Do not forget that cummulatively the north takes the larger portion of monthly Federal Allocation even though the money comes from the south. I think Yorubas and Igbos most especially need to sheath their swords and fight a common enemy that is benefiting from their stupidity for a long time. I mean aw could we allow the north to take 3pct of VAT but disagreed on Lagos taking 1pct. We southerners are just fools, we pride in our education, literacy and exposure yet we are alwats taken to the cleaners by the northerners when is time to make policy and strategies. We are just fools.

29 Likes 1 Share

Re: North East Development Commission Bill: An Unpatriotic And Unfortunate Bill by TonyeBarcanista(m): 7:18pm On Oct 23, 2016
Sibrah:
In addition, why use VAT to fund re-construction? Did the people of Nigeria destroy the North East? The injustice in this country is just too much.
It is just too much and painful

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: North East Development Commission Bill: An Unpatriotic And Unfortunate Bill by Sweetguy25: 7:20pm On Oct 23, 2016
TonyeBarcanista:
What makes it a patriotic bill? How does it serve the interest of the entire country?
The north easterners are Nigerians, if your mind and mentality wasn't biased because of ethnic sentiments, you wouldn't see anything with it.
A section of Nigeria has been severely ravaged by terrorism and violence, it is the duty of every patriotic Nigerian to ensure that part of Nigeria be rebuilt and the Nigerians living resume their normal lives with stability.
Is anything wrrong with that?

17 Likes 3 Shares

Re: North East Development Commission Bill: An Unpatriotic And Unfortunate Bill by Sibrah: 7:21pm On Oct 23, 2016
Young03:
Barcanista why are u wailing?

don't u know seat house?

here is Nairaland, go to senate and stop speaking from both mouth.

its now that ur realising that the north is marginalizing the south.?

your brothers from SS/SW will continue being slaves to the north..

walks out of thread majestically
You prefer to leave issues and attack people you can't win or shake an inch. I pity you.

7 Likes

Re: North East Development Commission Bill: An Unpatriotic And Unfortunate Bill by Sibrah: 7:23pm On Oct 23, 2016
Sweetguy25:

The north easterners are Nigerians, if your mind and mentality wasn't biased because of ethnic sentiments, you wouldn't see anything with it.
A section of Nigeria has been severely ravaged by terrorism and violence, it is the duty of every patriotic Nigerian to ensure that part of Nigeria be rebuilt and the Nigerians living resume their normal lives with stability.
Is anything wrrong with that?
Stop feigning stúpidíty. Did Nigerians destroy NE? You talk like the BH has changed mentality about Western system. SE deserves a develnpment commission 10,000,000 times more than the NE.

43 Likes 1 Share

Re: North East Development Commission Bill: An Unpatriotic And Unfortunate Bill by WINNERMENTALITY: 7:25pm On Oct 23, 2016
dEastActivist:

BH was nothing like Biafra.

BH is a terrorist group. But I don think a sane mind will utter this rubbish you posted.
.... U tramp... Come to south east around Oji river and see that South East were given nothing to rebuild their land.. I can see Boko haram was a conspiracy from the North to draw sympathy around Nigeria and the world... Everything is becoming clear to me... Boko haram did not do 1/4 of what Nigeria army did in South East and till today.. The 3r by Gowon has not been implemented.... I smell conspiracy... God pass them....

My Pray is for God to elevate Boko haram to Al-queada and Isis.. Whatever Bigger than Boko haram... Let them Bomb the whole North .. Demons

22 Likes

Re: North East Development Commission Bill: An Unpatriotic And Unfortunate Bill by dEastActivist: 7:25pm On Oct 23, 2016
Intrepid01:
You see this enmity and rivalry between the southerners will continue to hunt us for a long time to come. Northerners are always united while southerners; Yorubas, Igbos and NDeltans never unite on anything. How could you open your eyes and agree that the bulk of money made from the south (VAT) should be used to specially develop north. Do not forget that cummulatively the north takes the larger portion of monthly Federal Allocation even though the money comes from the south. I think Yorubas and Igbos most especially need to sheath their swords and fight a common enemy that is benefiting from their stupidity for a long time. I mean aw could we allow the north to take 3pct of VAT but disagreed on Lagos taking 1pct. We southerners are just fools, we pride in our education, literacy and exposure yet we are alwats taken to the cleaners by the northerners when is time to make policy and strategies. We are just fools.

Bro, is not the southerners fault.
We have different goals and objective.

And if I may ask, what's the purpose of the unification?
To fight the north? OK after fighting the north, what next? We fight ourselves right? Just like APC??

Sire, it won't work. If the unification is to fight the north. Let those who finds them offensive take the lead and fight them. Count the Igbos out cos we have better things to do whether as Nigerians or not.

29 Likes 1 Share

Re: North East Development Commission Bill: An Unpatriotic And Unfortunate Bill by TonyeBarcanista(m): 7:27pm On Oct 23, 2016
Justdulla:

Thank God you just made your true intention known. I didn't bother reading your write up cos its always littered with trash. Meanwhile when the NDDC was formed, ba kwome, when they handed SS Ministry of Niger Delta Affairs, ba kwome, Derivation fumd, no problem. Now the Federal government is trying to rebuild a war ravaged region and your here talking. Now using lagos as your guinea pig you blaady hypocrite. Keep hating, the North will always be at the Summit. Deal with it or escape to cameroun
You are hypocritical and maybe uninformed.

NDDC is the successor agency of OMPADEC with mandate to, among many take care of the complaints of the region especially taking care of the oil spillage and environmental degradation. These were effect of OIL EXPLORATION by Oil companies and FG. The NDDC is funded with OIL MONEY from the region and not cassava money from Kano.

Secondly, we have consistently maintained that NDDC is a fraud, instead we want review of the sharing formula and be able to be self sufficient. The NDDC is in fact a favor we are doing to Nigeria and not the other way round.

On Ministry of Niger Delta, honestly, I don't think any Niger Felt an has felt their impact. it is an aberration like NDDC. Scrap it.

W will have no problem IF NEDC is to be funded by 3% VAT from the Northern states.

PS: I don't hate the north but I won't tolerate oppression and fraud.

44 Likes 7 Shares

Re: North East Development Commission Bill: An Unpatriotic And Unfortunate Bill by Nobody: 7:28pm On Oct 23, 2016
I respect Nothern Senators. They understand thier Job as lawmaker which is to bring development to thier constituency.

Southern Senators dominated by PDP are big Joke. All our southern senators know how to do is to defend criminals and looters. All our sounthern PDP dominated senators are good at is to act as Saraki bodyguards during CCT trial.

The funny thing is dat many nothern senators are just OND and BSC holders. While among southern senators u have PhD,Msc,SAN, MBBS etc.

@Tonye Barcanista i think your post should rather praise and commend Northern Senators 4 thier ability to lobby our stupid sounthern senator to approve and support the bill.

38 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

"Recession Ends When Nigerians Can Eat 3 Times Daily" - Atiku Abubakar / Lamido: How Akpabio, Obanikoro Were Forced To Leave PDP For APC / Light Rail: Prepare For Gridlock In Oyo, Amaechi Alerts Incoming Govt

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.