Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,150 members, 7,818,467 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:25 PM

Windows Experience Index: Show Off Your Scores - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Windows Experience Index: Show Off Your Scores (46623 Views)

Upgrade Your Utme Scores Genuinely Within 7 Days. / Post Your Windows User Experience Index / Google Has Revived Its Oldest Search Index To Mark Its Tenth Anniversary (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Windows Experience Index: Show Off Your Scores by moonraker(m): 11:26am On Oct 25, 2009
For Vista and Win7 users,  Pls post your WEI scores here,

Re: Windows Experience Index: Show Off Your Scores by lytone(m): 11:53am On Oct 25, 2009
ok, u get mouth
Re: Windows Experience Index: Show Off Your Scores by PCbusayo(f): 3:59pm On Oct 25, 2009
Mine is 2.5
Re: Windows Experience Index: Show Off Your Scores by mikesleek(m): 6:16am On Oct 26, 2009
@moonraker, you've got a MACHINE there!

Re: Windows Experience Index: Show Off Your Scores by Nobody: 10:00am On Oct 26, 2009
this is my config today

i am thinking of stickying this thread so i can do shakara - all things being equal, thre weeks from now, i will get my new laptop, a thinkpad w700 with a 2.8ghz core2duo, a solidstae 80gb hard drive and a 7200rpm 500gb drive - and i will add a third 500gb 5400rpm drive to the ultra bay, a 1gb nvidia quadro fx3700M card, 4gb ddr3 ram

Re: Windows Experience Index: Show Off Your Scores by moonraker(m): 11:01am On Oct 26, 2009
@ oyb

niceeee

@ mikesleek

thanks, you shd upgrade to win7, you did probably get more performance from yur rig
Re: Windows Experience Index: Show Off Your Scores by mikesleek(m): 12:29pm On Oct 26, 2009
yea, i am thinking of upgrading the machine to windows7. Just that my work schedule is so tight to permit it.
Re: Windows Experience Index: Show Off Your Scores by texazzpete(m): 7:55am On Oct 28, 2009
oyb:

this is my config today

i am thinking of stickying this thread so i can do shakara - all things being equal, thre weeks from now, i will get my new laptop, a thinkpad w700 with a 2.8ghz core2duo, a solidstae 80gb hard drive and a 7200rpm 500gb drive - and i will add a third 500gb 5400rpm drive to the ultra bay, a 1gb nvidia quadro fx3700M card, 4gb ddr3 ram

My 2 cents
Spring for a core i7 processor instead if you haven't ordered the lappie, cut down a bit on the expenditures on the HDD and up the RAM count instead.

still a monster rig at the moment, though cheesy
Re: Windows Experience Index: Show Off Your Scores by Nobody: 8:28am On Oct 28, 2009
texazzpete:

My 2 cents
Spring for a core i7 processor instead if you haven't ordered the lappie, cut down a bit on the expenditures on the HDD and up the RAM count instead.

still a monster rig at the moment, though cheesy

i know - big grr - core i7 was not available as a spec when i ordered

it seems there are now directx11 capable cards for that matter

on the plus side, it appears that with modern mobile workstations , you can actually swap graphics cards , and processors - though its a little more difficult than your regular ram/hard disk swap/upgrade
Re: Windows Experience Index: Show Off Your Scores by texazzpete(m): 10:17pm On Oct 28, 2009
oyb:

i know - big grr - core i7 was not available as a spec when i ordered

it seems there are now directx11 capable cards for that matter

on the plus side, it appears that with modern mobile workstations , you can actually swap graphics cards , and processors - though its a little more difficult than your regular ram/hard disk swap/upgrade

lol. Ok, i see.
No Dx 11 mobile GPUs out at the moment until next year.

I'm tempted to spring for the HP Envy 15, but the lack of internal optical drive is making the decision harder for me. I mean i hardly ever use the one in my laptop, but it may just be a good thing to have it there.
Re: Windows Experience Index: Show Off Your Scores by moonraker(m): 10:47pm On Oct 28, 2009
@ tex

bros how far,  where is yur WEI score??

@ oyb

actually tex is right. direct x11 gpus are not due till next year

although i hear a rumor about an ati gpu Radeon 5000 series

which is direct x11 compartiable

just looked at yur specs now, you are not running a 64bit OS, how come?? a full bros like you
Re: Windows Experience Index: Show Off Your Scores by texazzpete(m): 12:15am On Oct 29, 2009
moonraker:

@ tex

@ oyb

just looked at yur specs now, you are not running a 64bit OS, how come?? a full bros like you

my WEI? On my ancient VAIO FE 21m 1.66 Ghz Core Duo and the ancient Geforce Go 7600?
I think not. It was cutting edge way back in 2006 when i bought it (i even bragged about it on NL) but not anymore

I keep holding off on a new laptop because i always keep waiting for something just around the corner. For example i waited 3 months now for the Core i7 and Windows 7. I'll get a new lappie next month and then come out swinging!

The Radeon 5xxx series should hit next year on mobile.
Re: Windows Experience Index: Show Off Your Scores by Nobody: 3:02am On Oct 29, 2009
texazzpete:

lol. Ok, i see.
No Dx 11 mobile GPUs out at the moment until next year.

I'm tempted to spring for the HP Envy 15, but the lack of internal optical drive is making the decision harder for me. I mean i hardly ever use the one in my laptop, but it may just be a good thing to have it there.

i know that feeling. its just in a very blue moon that i use my dvd drive, and thats just when i have to burn some music . i guess one still needs it as per recovery disc issues , though if its about full installs, there are now like 3 or so utilities on the web that allow you to turn your flash drive into windows 7 installer. who knows, maybe someone has figured out how to do it with the windows 7 recovery disc.

reminds me of when i wanted to first test windows 7. i decided to install it on my old laptop, which has a half dead optical drive. eventually i copied the iso, installed alcohol, mounted, started the install from within windows, and crossed my fingers (if it had failed - the laptop would essentially have bricked - no way to install an Os on it from disc, and no way to get ino windows, which would have nbeen deleted by the setup files cheesy cheesy

moonraker:

@ tex

@ oyb

just looked at yur specs now,  you are not running a 64bit OS,  how come?? a full bros like you

@ moonraker,

no mind me o, na the fear of compatibility gragra

while there is a lot more 64 bit support than before,

the issues for me are

1) no native vba support. apparently anything vba will run through an emulation layer. which will lead to slow downs. not good for me , because i use visual basic alot -i have downloaded vbscripts on my system that  i use to create restore points, switch windows, hide/unhide hidden files, i have vba addons i use in microsoft office and autocad. alot of developers are actually migrating to vb.net, and that may be one of the reasons. apparently powershell may be able to do some of the stuff i use those vbscripts for, but i havent gotten round to exploring it.

2) ditto for the fact that some apps/addons  i use have no 64 bit versions - and running them may be hit and miss - never mind what ms says to the contrary. migration often means giving up some stuff, though.

3) the usual - migration will be a BITCH. i have seriously been contemplating moving to 64 bit, but i cannot begin to calculate the amount of stuff i will have to download - 64 bit drivers, 64 bit versions of so much of the software i use which may easily come to 30 to 40gb  undecided

the other thing i'm contemplating is trying something i read about and actually posted a topic on. it appears that 32 bit is not physically limited form 4gb and above, but by licensing. i have downloaded the tools that are supposed to make it work. na kernal patch sha. theres another way it has been run, but that is er . . .you copy some files from server 2008 and replace the equivalenst in windows. you must have a server 2008 key to do this. i will just try it for like a week after i get my system. if there are any major issues i will reinstall sharp sharp.
Re: Windows Experience Index: Show Off Your Scores by moonraker(m): 5:39am On Oct 29, 2009
@ oyb

haaa, now i understand where your coming from,

it is true that 64bit has some compartiability issues.

inshort if a driver is not signed by MS, its cant be installed, (something i miss soo much)

But speaking of slow down when yu run 32bit emulator mode, i think if you upgrade your processor (i mean buy a nu Lappie)

i dont think you will experience too much slow downs, plus most programs now have 64bit versions visual basic beening an exception
Re: Windows Experience Index: Show Off Your Scores by semid4lyfe(m): 2:18pm On Oct 30, 2009
The WEI on my Hp dv6000 special edition laptop is 3.4. I'll be posting screenshots l8r.

Gurus, Is the WEI on a pc permanent or does it increase when u update your windows?
Re: Windows Experience Index: Show Off Your Scores by semid4lyfe(m): 2:19pm On Oct 30, 2009
The WEI on my Hp dv6000 special edition laptop is 3.4. I'll be posting screenshots l8r.

Gurus, Is the WEI on a pc permanent or does it increase when u update your windows?
Re: Windows Experience Index: Show Off Your Scores by Nobody: 3:15pm On Oct 30, 2009
^^^^

it will only increase when you update your hardware - and thats just a maybe
Re: Windows Experience Index: Show Off Your Scores by semid4lyfe(m): 10:04pm On Oct 30, 2009
Oyb, are u sure? The reason I ask is becos the original WEI that came with my lapy was 3.4 but after some time with constant updating of my windows, it went up to 3.5. I was surprised cos I thought it was a function of the hardware. Now, my WEI is back to 3.4 cos I used my recovery manager to reset my pc back to the factory setting and I updated it with the offline 'chunk' installers of vista service pack 1 and 2 and now it's service pack 2 but it still shows a 3.4 WEI as against when it wasn't even up to sp 1 and I had a WEI of 3.5.
Re: Windows Experience Index: Show Off Your Scores by mikesleek(m): 7:54am On Oct 31, 2009
oyb:

^^^^

that is 90% true. The WEI is determined by how eaisily your operating system can communicate with the particular hardware in question. That is the reason why i would agree with this also because an update may just increase the ease of communication. You may wish to view http://runitecomputer..com/2009/10/introduction-windows-experience-index.htm for more details
semid4lyfe:

Oyb, are u sure? The reason I ask is becos the original WEI that came with my lapy was 3.4 but after some time with constant updating of my windows, it went up to 3.5. I was surprised cos I thought it was a function of the hardware. Now, my WEI is back to 3.4 cos I used my recovery manager to reset my pc back to the factory setting and I updated it with the offline 'chunk' installers of vista service pack 1 and 2 and now it's service pack 2 but it still shows a 3.4 WEI as against when it wasn't even up to sp 1 and I had a WEI of 3.5.
Re: Windows Experience Index: Show Off Your Scores by texazzpete(m): 10:59pm On Oct 31, 2009
oyb:

^^^^

Could also increase when you update drivers.
Re: Windows Experience Index: Show Off Your Scores by moonraker(m): 12:09am On Nov 01, 2009
@ tex

was just abt to state that,
Re: Windows Experience Index: Show Off Your Scores by hayprof(m): 10:19pm On Nov 01, 2009
=mute=

Re: Windows Experience Index: Show Off Your Scores by Nobody: 10:33pm On Nov 01, 2009
^^^^^^

grin grin grin grin grin grin

er the thread title is 'show off your scores'
Re: Windows Experience Index: Show Off Your Scores by Nobody: 11:21pm On Nov 01, 2009
texazzpete:

Could also increase when you update drivers.

i suspect though, that only graphics drivers will show an increase - and that it will be one of those .1 increases overall

offtopic -

i wasted a significant part of yesterday trying out hacks based on of geoff chappells 4gb for 32 bit windows article

google readyfor4gb if you have over 4gb of ram and want to run 32 bit windows and have access to all your installed ram

i successfully installed - but it doesn't work because the 700mb or so is 'reserved for my system' from the bios . so unless i get like 6gb of ram. . .

offtopic - apparently windows xp sp1 supported 4gb of ram natively.
Re: Windows Experience Index: Show Off Your Scores by hayprof(m): 1:00pm On Nov 02, 2009
oyb:

^^^^^^

grin grin grin grin grin grin

er the thread title is 'show off your scores'

. . .and thats my Score grin
Re: Windows Experience Index: Show Off Your Scores by moonraker(m): 2:13pm On Nov 02, 2009
@ hayprof

i throway salute,
Re: Windows Experience Index: Show Off Your Scores by hayprof(m): 5:39pm On Nov 02, 2009
Yes, I get Mouth ! grin
Re: Windows Experience Index: Show Off Your Scores by texazzpete(m): 5:41pm On Nov 02, 2009
He's running basic - No aero. Why is that? Even a GMA 900 can run Win 7 Aero.
Hayprof, have you done windows update after the Win 7 install?
Re: Windows Experience Index: Show Off Your Scores by hayprof(m): 5:49pm On Nov 02, 2009
NOPE,

The shot wat taken second after the WIN7 complete Installation . grin

So, wat are u guys talking !?
Re: Windows Experience Index: Show Off Your Scores by Nobody: 5:55pm On Nov 02, 2009
u don install ur graphics and chipset drivers

not update - install
Re: Windows Experience Index: Show Off Your Scores by hayprof(m): 6:17pm On Nov 02, 2009
Guess Windows Update will do dat ?
Re: Windows Experience Index: Show Off Your Scores by Nobody: 6:49pm On Nov 02, 2009
yep

or you can get your vista drivers

they will work

note that starcomms software won't work - you'll have to configure your modem settings manually

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Help: Need To Merge My Unallocated Harddisk Space Back / Uk Used Fairly Strong Laptops At Cheap Prices / Don't Pay An Installer For Your Free To Air Dish Installation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.