Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,741 members, 7,817,047 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:56 AM

Nigeria And Microsoft Look To Halt Internet Crime - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Nigeria And Microsoft Look To Halt Internet Crime (2455 Views)

Ucbrowser Web Version And Microsoft Edge, Which Is Faster / Simpleserver, Is It A Crime To Use It / Personal Trainer On Cisco And Microsoft - Ccna, Ccnp, Mcitp (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria And Microsoft Look To Halt Internet Crime by timbuktu1: 3:34pm On Oct 25, 2009
Nigeria's anti-corruption police is working with Microsoft to halt thousands of fraudulent emails in a crackdown on internet crime in Africa's most populous country, an agency spokesman said.

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) said on Thursday its new project "Eagle Claw", expected to become fully operational within six months, is aimed at improving Nigeria's tarnished image as one of the world's top countries for internet crime.

"The EFCC is fine tuning security modalities with Microsoft and upon full deployment, the capacity to take down fraudulent emails will increase to 5,000 monthly," said Farida Waziri, the agency's chairwoman, in a statement.

The agency said it has already shut down 800 scam websites and arrested 18 people.

The project is the latest effort by the government to shrug off its image as an epicentre of corruption, epitomised by "419" email fraudsters named after the article in Nigeria's penal code that deals with advance fee fraud.

The government in March launched a rebranding campaign with the slogan: "Nigeria: Good People, Great Nation". It has also started a nationwide initiative to promote "Made In Nigeria" products over foreign imports.

But Nigerians, most of whom live on less than $2 a day, say the government needs to do more to address the everyday problems of the oil-rich, but impoverished country.

Nigeria and Microsoft look to halt Internet crime
Re: Nigeria And Microsoft Look To Halt Internet Crime by MrCrackles(m): 3:37pm On Oct 25, 2009
Good move. . .
Time to put those fraudulent bastards and scamming vagabonds out of business for good!
Re: Nigeria And Microsoft Look To Halt Internet Crime by PCbusayo(f): 4:05pm On Oct 25, 2009
I am happy with this development
Re: Nigeria And Microsoft Look To Halt Internet Crime by POSAKOSA1(m): 6:37pm On Oct 25, 2009
Fraudulent Nigerians are NOT stupid. There will always BE a WAY, a loophole. grin grin grin grin
Re: Nigeria And Microsoft Look To Halt Internet Crime by Nobody: 6:41pm On Oct 25, 2009
I am happy for this. I would like to go scammers busted for good.
Re: Nigeria And Microsoft Look To Halt Internet Crime by efepro(m): 6:56pm On Oct 25, 2009
Cybercrime is & has come 2 stay, Nothin they can do 2 stop it.The anonymity of cyber criminals & the unfathomibility of d human mind have made the sole task of eliminating it from cyberworld possible.the best i think the govt. can do is to check and curb the upsurge.
Re: Nigeria And Microsoft Look To Halt Internet Crime by Mbeki: 7:06pm On Oct 25, 2009
What EFCC has to do is to arrest this cyber criminals and rehabilitate them positively for IT development in Nigeria, if and only if they can provide energy and power.
These collabo with Microsoft is just to waste money
I believe some of these guys posses some talents they not putting to good use.
The first internet hacker. Kelvin Polsen was employed by US government to provide computer security.
Re: Nigeria And Microsoft Look To Halt Internet Crime by POSAKOSA1(m): 7:22pm On Oct 25, 2009
^^^^^^ good point there mate! good point. Nepotism has stolen Nigeria.
Re: Nigeria And Microsoft Look To Halt Internet Crime by palaze: 7:38pm On Oct 25, 2009
nice move
Re: Nigeria And Microsoft Look To Halt Internet Crime by oge4real(f): 8:29pm On Oct 25, 2009
efepro:

Cybercrime is & has come 2 stay, Nothin they can do 2 stop it.The anonymity of cyber criminals & the unfathomibility of d human mind have made the sole task of eliminating it from cyberworld possible.the best i think the govt. can do is to check and curb the upsurge.
So, what do u suggest the govt should do?
Re: Nigeria And Microsoft Look To Halt Internet Crime by enekwizu14(m): 8:44pm On Oct 25, 2009
since theres's still internet in this world,there is no stopin cyber-crime.if i had my way me self go join them do am,but the thing no just dey my blood.i get 24/7 internet(broadband),but me wan go legit.no mago mago.
Re: Nigeria And Microsoft Look To Halt Internet Crime by weboptions: 9:00pm On Oct 25, 2009
Though the idea is a good one, in the Nigerian context its actually like shooting a water pistol at a ferocious attacking lion! The Government of the day needs to address the core socio-economic problems which are the root cause of this issue. Infrastructure is a nightmare, joblessness keeps on setting rib cracking records yearly and at the same time you have a clique of a few God fathers & political ingrates partying continously with the funds required to make a change in this great Nation. Its a great dilema we find ourselves in, but all the same its not an excuse for justifying what these fraudsters get up to! They are what they are , THEIVES.
Re: Nigeria And Microsoft Look To Halt Internet Crime by semid4lyfe(m): 9:04pm On Oct 25, 2009
Efe, the governmment is not out to eliminate cybercrime. This would be unrealistic and virtually impossible. I think the government is simply trying to do what u suggested - which is check and curb the upsurge. IMO, this is a good move by the government.
Re: Nigeria And Microsoft Look To Halt Internet Crime by PAININASS: 9:09pm On Oct 25, 2009
Microsoft should halt internet crime in EUROPE AND AMERICAN FIRST BEFORE THEY WILL COME TO NIGERIA,scammers are not stupid they will always find a way,if this happens i will die abroad because someone told me that,arm robbers are not rampant in nigeria again unlike before,that they are now yahoo boys and if government now stop them that mean they will return to their old job
Re: Nigeria And Microsoft Look To Halt Internet Crime by weboptions: 9:21pm On Oct 25, 2009
for clarification @paininass whats the difference btw fraudsters and robbers?
Re: Nigeria And Microsoft Look To Halt Internet Crime by sunnybobo1(m): 9:28pm On Oct 25, 2009
UNA GIVE THEM JOB, sad sad sad
Re: Nigeria And Microsoft Look To Halt Internet Crime by PAININASS: 9:33pm On Oct 25, 2009
weboptions:

for clarification @paininass whats the difference btw fraudsters and robbers?
VERY SIMPLE DUDE,according to what OKONJO IWEALA TOLD THE PARIS club, fraudsters attacks greedy people while robbers attacks innocent people, if you are not greedy you will never be a victim
Re: Nigeria And Microsoft Look To Halt Internet Crime by weboptions: 9:41pm On Oct 25, 2009
someday, when somehow your fianancial data gets into the wrong hand due to no fault of yours , then you'll realise that definition is not true dude.
Re: Nigeria And Microsoft Look To Halt Internet Crime by POSAKOSA1(m): 9:43pm On Oct 25, 2009
weboptions:

someday, when somehow your fianancial data gets into the wrong hand due to no fault of yours , then you'll realise that definition is not true dude.

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

crook is a crook no matter who they steal from. Even if you steal from Obasanjo, a thief is a thief.
Re: Nigeria And Microsoft Look To Halt Internet Crime by Nobody: 11:26pm On Oct 25, 2009
welcome move
Re: Nigeria And Microsoft Look To Halt Internet Crime by scorpio1(m): 12:40am On Oct 26, 2009
Government should setup ICT development centers where these boys/men/women can develop professionally on each of their personal skills,with a mandatory lesson on Cyber Ethics, !
Go to India,they have a Village where all you do there is write programs,which they export to different countries.
All you need is a desk,chair and Computer and the world of ideas and creativity is yours, Why can't EFCC provide their bosses(FEDERAL GOVERNMENT) with feedback on corrective measures to eliminate cyber crime instead of going about witch hunting them and jailing them,do they brazenly pilfer more money than the elected politicians?, ?, ?, even when they are smarter than most of the so-called leaders.
Microsoft should embark on Massive investment and Positive development of our Technology infrastructure to enhance good cyber attitude rather than aiding these warped officials that are trying to distract our mind from their running down of this nation.
Better to leave the mouse in their hands while they bring foreign currency into the country than to put the Ak47's and Pump actions into their hands to maim and harass helpless fellow Nigerians,

Sorry i was blunt,but that's a piece of ma mind, LOVE U NAIJA!!!
Re: Nigeria And Microsoft Look To Halt Internet Crime by UNLEASHED(m): 2:09am On Oct 26, 2009
Stupid people, yahoo boys na mumu? pstcheww!
Re: Nigeria And Microsoft Look To Halt Internet Crime by bawomolo(m): 2:48am On Oct 26, 2009
PAININASS:

VERY SIMPLE DUDE,according to what OKONJO IWEALA TOLD THE PARIS club, fraudsters attacks greedy people while robbers attacks innocent people, if you are not greedy you will never be a victim

are you saying the sellers on ebay and paypal were greedy?

get real
Re: Nigeria And Microsoft Look To Halt Internet Crime by Nobody: 2:50am On Oct 26, 2009
Mbeki:

What EFCC has to do is to arrest this cyber criminals and rehabilitate them positively for IT development in Nigeria, if and only if they can provide energy and power.
These collabo with Microsoft is just to waste money
I believe some of these guys posses some talents they not putting to good use.
The first internet hacker. Kelvin Polsen was employed by US government to provide computer security.

correct

weboptions:

Though the idea is a good one, in the Nigerian context its actually like shooting a water pistol at a ferocious attacking lion! The Government of the day needs to address the core socio-economic problems which are the root cause of this issue. Infrastructure is a nightmare, joblessness keeps on setting rib cracking records yearly and at the same time you have a clique of a few God fathers & political ingrates partying continously with the funds required to make a change in this great Nation. Its a great dilema we find ourselves in, but all the same its not an excuse for justifying what these fraudsters get up to! They are what they are , THEIVES.
so true
Re: Nigeria And Microsoft Look To Halt Internet Crime by efepro(m): 8:05am On Oct 26, 2009
@oge. Good questn.d reason 4 our vulnerability is due 2 'lack' of international cooperatn & regulation of laws.As we can c,cybercrimes r problems that r nt just peculiar 2 Nig alone,but d entire globe.that's y countries(Nig+Microsoft) nids 2 work 2gether in combating these crimes.ppl shud b aware of their rights & duties to report crime as a collectiv duty 2wards d society & further makin d application of d laws more stringent to check crime.
Re: Nigeria And Microsoft Look To Halt Internet Crime by ojofu(m): 8:06am On Oct 26, 2009
Between Internet scammers and Corrupt Government official, Who do you think is tarnishing nigeria's image the most?.
Re: Nigeria And Microsoft Look To Halt Internet Crime by mikesleek(m): 9:11am On Oct 26, 2009
efepro:

@oge. Good questn.d reason 4 our vulnerability is due 2 'lack' of international cooperatn & regulation of laws.As we can c,cybercrimes r problems that r nt just peculiar 2 Nig alone,but d entire globe.that's y countries(Nig+Microsoft) nids 2 work 2gether in combating these crimes.ppl shud b aware of their rights & duties to report crime as a collectiv duty 2wards d society & further makin d application of d laws more stringent to check crime.

well, there can be no international corporation when there is no action by the people who are supposed to be assisted.
Re: Nigeria And Microsoft Look To Halt Internet Crime by ichommy(m): 9:32am On Oct 26, 2009
@ sunnybobo1 god bless you i dont support YAHOO YAHOO BUT, lipsrsealed
Re: Nigeria And Microsoft Look To Halt Internet Crime by baekdoosan(m): 9:47am On Oct 26, 2009
IMPOSSIBLE!!! I was watching Click on BBC and they claimed the only way to stop fraudulent emails is to shut down the internet all over the world completeley shocked, and this is impossible. grin
Re: Nigeria And Microsoft Look To Halt Internet Crime by nethacker(m): 9:52am On Oct 26, 2009
ojofu:

Between Internet scammers and Corrupt Government official, Who do you think is tarnishing nigeria's image the most?.
both grin but one is a subset of the other grin grin
look @ wat dey do all because of money  grin grin
This one MAGAS MUST pay  grin grin

Re: Nigeria And Microsoft Look To Halt Internet Crime by POSAKOSA1(m): 10:03am On Oct 26, 2009
^^^^^ look at the way the dudes eyes have rolled back into his head. grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Nigeria And Microsoft Look To Halt Internet Crime by Nobody: 10:16am On Oct 26, 2009
This picture don reach here again na waoooooooooooo  grin  grin

See as picture dey waka!!! shocked

(1) (2) (Reply)

Can I Get A Laptop With ''ram : 2gb Memory'' Less Than 30k? / Hp 250 (corei3, 500gb Hdd, 4gb Ram) / Which HP Laptop Will You Advise A Student With About #95,000 To Buy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.