Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,069 members, 7,859,866 topics. Date: Thursday, 13 June 2024 at 08:26 PM

Nigerians Are Sheep! - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerians Are Sheep! (1429 Views)

Dele Momodu Writes Buhari, Says Nigerians Are Lamenting / How Nigerians Are Coping With Fuel Scarcity (Photos) / Nigerians Are Determined To Remain One – Buhari (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians Are Sheep! by Kobojunkie: 3:01am On Oct 26, 2009
The Sly:

Where there's life. . . . .There's hope.
Killing oneself under any circumstances is an act of gross stupidity.
Nothing under the sun is worth killing oneself over. wink

Killing oneself if suicide! Dying fighting for what you believe in, is not. When you stand your ground, funny thing that happens is that without you knowing, you plant another seed for change; a seed that is bound to, over time grow and grow till that change becomes a reality. Ken Saro Wiwa died that kind of death. Remember he died fighting for what he believed in. Years later, look where the country is today? All because one man caused his people to believe it is the right thing to stand, and not back down. Though we may not like the current method being used, the fact is ken saro wiwa planted the seed for change in the delta with his life and today; the whole country has to deal with the pangs of the birth of that dream.

By the way, how many of the “where there is life” believers are alive and well today? Many of them are dead and so many died without even leaving a legacy. Is that really life? We are all going to die someday. Why not die doing something worthy? I mean many of those who were here on nairaland last year, are no more. Many died crossing the road. Others died in their sleeps. Why live in fear of dying if you stand up for what is right?
Re: Nigerians Are Sheep! by TheSly: 3:01am On Oct 26, 2009
ezeagu:

Why die when you can just move country?  grin
Abi, When you can just follow Becomrich to Benin Republic. cheesy
Re: Nigerians Are Sheep! by TheSly: 3:05am On Oct 26, 2009
Kobojunkie:

Killing oneself if suicide! Dying fighting for what you believe in, is not. When you stand your ground, funny thing that happens is that without you knowing, you plant another seed for change; a seed that is bound to, over time grow and grow till that change becomes a reality. Ken Saro Wiwa died that kind of death. Remember he died fighting for what he believed in. Years later, look where the country is today? All because one man caused his people to believe it is the right thing to stand, and not back down. Though we may not like the current method being used, the fact is ken saro wiwa planted the seed for change in the delta with his life and today; the whole country has to deal with the pangs of the birth of that dream.

By the way, how many of the “where there is life” believers are alive and well today? Many of them are dead and so many died without even leaving a legacy. Is that really life?

The $67,000 question is,
Is this the only method? must people die for things to get better??
Re: Nigerians Are Sheep! by Kobojunkie: 3:10am On Oct 26, 2009
The Sly:

The $67,000 question is,
Is this the only method? must people die for things to get better??

I bet you Ken Saro Wiwa did not go out there, believing he would have to die. He knew it was a possibility, but it is clear the man never really expected it to happen, especially the way it did. But it did.
My point is choosing each day, to sit and live as a sheep because you are afraid that if you stand up you will be killed is NO LIFE at all. You don't say that because there is the possibility that if you walked out of your door, you might get hit by a bus and that you would rather sit indoors all your life. No, you take a risk each day you walk out of your door to go to work, to school, to the market etc. So why not go a step further and take risks that will help you and those around you live better and more fulfilled lives?
Re: Nigerians Are Sheep! by bawomolo(m): 3:18am On Oct 26, 2009
The Sly:

Abi, When you can just follow Becomrich to Benin Republic. cheesy

that one na suffer head o. becomerich is not my moses grin
Re: Nigerians Are Sheep! by puskin: 3:36am On Oct 26, 2009
Hmmm. . .
So much on dying for one's country.
Re: Nigerians Are Sheep! by puskin: 3:48am On Oct 26, 2009
Nigeria needs a revolution.
A revolution needs revolutionaries. At present, we have none. What we have are mostly "paper-tigers".
But there is no greater urgency 2day than 2find among Nigerians, as among the inhabitants of Sodom & Gomorrah, just one vìrtuous leader for whom history will spare the impending consequence of our historal mistakes.
Re: Nigerians Are Sheep! by texazzpete(m): 8:32am On Oct 26, 2009
No one said anything about 'dying' before you can show you're patriotic enough to fight for your country and what you believe to be just. As i said before, the people who trooped out in the streets of Thailand, Iran and Ukraine, did they have two heads? Is their democracy even more free than ours?

I have long realized from my Aluta days in UNIBEN that Nigerians are not prepared for any action that may expose them to the possibility of physical harm. But when you consider other non-violent ways to register protest that Nigerians refuse to participate in, you cannot but agree with the 'sheep' designation. Here are a few points.

1. Over 70% of the people commenting here did not vote in the last elections, and many will not vote in the next elections. Some for trivial reasons like refusal to enter the hot sun, to those who have been convinced that their vote will not count - forgetting that only valid votes can be used in an electoral dispute.
Question: If ordinary Nigerians who were disatisfied with PDP's rule in Edo and Ondo state did not troop out to vote, would there have been enough votes to pass in Oshiomhole and Mimiko after all the illegal votes were discounted?

2. Within 3 days of any NLC strike, the news media is awash with Nigerians pleading with NLC to call off the strike so as to enable them resume their daily lives. Are we genetically inferior to the Ukrainians that sat down for a whole month in protest during the Orange Revolution?

Most of these posters here were the first to eulogize Gani for all his actions for democracy and Justice. Yet here they are saying that resistance is futile. Did Gani take up arms? Is it impossible to find a million Ganis who can fight for justice?

And therein lies the problem. Apart from being sheepish cowards, most Nigerians subscribe to the messianic culture - a system where we all sit back and wait hopefully for a champion who we can cheer on while we do nothing. This explains the Ribadu worship in Nigeria, where ordinary Nigerians were perfectly content to do nothing to fight corruption while lustily praising Ribadu for his every move.
No one is willing to fix anything in his own sphere of influence, preferring instead to wait for someone to rise up, take the heat and then to slink away in subdued and sullen silence when their hero gets it in the neck.

That sums up what Nairaland's politics section is made up of. The same generic posts and threads calling for a revolution and the same sullen, whiny people muttering about 'Rawlings solution' and the same ethnic bigots who cannot see beyond their noses.

That is all.

PS: I often criticize people heavily for generalization, and i sincerely apologize to anyone who finds the 'sheep' tag offensive. It was the best i could come up with at the moment lipsrsealed
Re: Nigerians Are Sheep! by SkyBlue1: 10:00am On Oct 26, 2009
texazzpete:

No one said anything about 'dying' before you can show you're patriotic enough to fight for your country and what you believe to be just. As i said before, the people who trooped out in the streets of Thailand, Iran and Ukraine, did they have two heads? Is their democracy even more free than ours?

I have long realized from my Aluta days in UNIBEN that Nigerians are not prepared for any action that may expose them to the possibility of physical harm. But when you consider other non-violent ways to register protest that Nigerians refuse to participate in, you cannot but agree with the 'sheep' designation. Here are a few points.

1. Over 70% of the people commenting here did not vote in the last elections, and many will not vote in the next elections. Some for trivial reasons like refusal to enter the hot sun, to those who have been convinced that their vote will not count - forgetting that only valid votes can be used in an electoral dispute.
Question: If ordinary Nigerians who were disatisfied with PDP's rule in Edo and Ondo state did not troop out to vote, would there have been enough votes to pass in Oshiomhole and Mimiko after all the illegal votes were discounted?

2. Within 3 days of any NLC strike, the news media is awash with Nigerians pleading with NLC to call off the strike so as to enable them resume their daily lives. Are we genetically inferior to the Ukrainians that sat down for a whole month in protest during the Orange Revolution?

Most of these posters here were the first to eulogize Gani for all his actions for democracy and Justice. Yet here they are saying that resistance is futile. Did Gani take up arms? Is it impossible to find a million Ganis who can fight for justice?

And therein lies the problem. Apart from being sheepish cowards, most Nigerians subscribe to the messianic culture - a system where we all sit back and wait hopefully for a champion who we can cheer on while we do nothing. This explains the Ribadu worship in Nigeria, where ordinary Nigerians were perfectly content to do nothing to fight corruption while lustily praising Ribadu for his every move.
No one is willing to fix anything in his own sphere of influence, preferring instead to wait for someone to rise up, take the heat and then to slink away in subdued and sullen silence when their hero gets it in the neck.

That sums up what Nairaland's politics section is made up of. The same generic posts and threads calling for a revolution and the same sullen, whiny people muttering about 'Rawlings solution' and the same ethnic bigots who cannot see beyond their noses.

That is all.

PS: I often criticize people heavily for generalization, and i sincerely apologize to anyone who finds the 'sheep' tag offensive. It was the best i could come up with at the moment lipsrsealed

smiley smiley smiley
Re: Nigerians Are Sheep! by ow11(m): 10:14am On Oct 26, 2009
@Tex

Peaceful protests or silent disapproval like what Nigerians did to the super eagles last month are capable by Nigerians but the propensity for such disapprovals to turn violent is well established by all. Our law enforcement agents have shown to be overzealous and this post of yours should be directed at them.

The Ivorians insisted that Robert Guei should go and the soldiers didn't open live rounds on any one at the sit in. Imagine what happened at Bundu some days ago when soldiers opened fire at people who stood infront of the bulldozers. The news we heard is that militants are engaging soldiers in a gun battle.

You usually call for people to spare a thought for unfortunate servicemen and I think the sheep tag is more for the cowardly foot soldiers in the Police and Army who earn peanuts and yet are quick to unleash violence on civilians whose efforts would improve their conditions of service.

Nigerians have shown to be able to voice their opinions from the colonial era (Aba women's riot and the coal miners) and the regular university riots/protests in the 80's and early 90s. Today we have seen that these efforts are usually put down by violence no matter how civil.People are willing to give their blood if they know their blood won't be spilt in vain.

I will gladly toss the sheep tag at the mid-level servicemen and 'influential' men of God who have the wherewithal to ensure that average joe on the street gets the desired respect a human being elsewhere in the world would.

About the elections, If you live in PH, I dare you to go to Borokiri or Bundu wards in 2011 to vote and see if you would be allowed into the polling station. cool
Re: Nigerians Are Sheep! by back2back(f): 10:34am On Oct 26, 2009
Nigerians Are Sheep!

This is not NEW.

OBJ stole $16billion just from power sector, what did Nigerians do?

OBJ daughter stolen $10mi from same power sector, what did Nigerians do?

This is sectors that AFFECTS them DAILY!!

So dont expect anything from Nigerians about the Banks Wahala, afterall, how many have money to put in a bank?
Re: Nigerians Are Sheep! by Twy: 10:49am On Oct 26, 2009
I don't know whether you can categorize Nigerians as sheepish when many say we are individually aggressive. I think part of the problem is alack of passion for collective mass action and also another issue is the lack of will power to prosecute another fellow Nigerian who is corrupt. I think deep down many feel that this fellows are Nigerians typical ones at that. And removing them will lead to another bunch to come and eat. You have to understand there is growing cynicism among Nigerians especially towards the political class. Even the average Nigerian in danfos or joints believe Fashola is trying but also stealing, mimiko is stealing and Adams is partially useless or may not be better than Osunbor. So to them what merit is there to protest when the system is inherently corrupt and may enthrone another fat belly cat.

The last issue is the law enforcement. They are not well educated and are brutish.
Re: Nigerians Are Sheep! by rethink: 1:53pm On Oct 26, 2009
@posakosa1
so the million dollar question- are u willing and ready to lead the "militant few"?

No need Mallam Sanusi is already leading the fight of the millitant few. I know how much it takes me to reply post and read articles(though very insignificant)

We are not talking about armed struggle. There is core of nigerians that are dissillusioned (Loud pessimistic few) the Parasitic Elite did not need to take arms and shoot them to bring to the state of pessimism they are now.
Re: Nigerians Are Sheep! by rethink: 3:20pm On Oct 26, 2009
If you look back at the posts you will see alot of the Loud pessimistic few firing and in your heart you would want to agree with them.

WELL IT IS A CHOICE THEY DID NOT BECOME SO OVERNIGHT. THEY ARE SO PERFECT AT MOCKING AND THROWING STONES AT NIGERIA.

The choice is yours.
Re: Nigerians Are Sheep! by CrudeOil2(m): 3:40pm On Oct 26, 2009
90 percent of Nigerians are unpatriotic.
Re: Nigerians Are Sheep! by Kobojunkie: 3:49pm On Oct 26, 2009
Crude Oil:

90 percent of Nigerians are unpatriotic.

You better do your numbers again. If 10% of Nigerians were really as patriotic as you claim, that country would not be deep in doodoo today. 10% is about 14 million and that is a lot, in fact enough to turn Nigeria into a semi-developed country, if not developed.
Re: Nigerians Are Sheep! by rethink: 4:26pm On Oct 26, 2009
10 percent of nigeria are the core unpatriotic ones. the remaining are may be 88 nigerians the MAY BE regarded as the sheep component. The remainder are the very silent undefiled mature Nigerians positive optimistic in heart.

There are the 13 year old to the 16year olds you would have about 40million this should be the core of the new nigerian. We need to restart with this people.
Re: Nigerians Are Sheep! by Nobody: 7:10pm On Oct 26, 2009
I could give the Author of this thread a very hot kiss
Re: Nigerians Are Sheep! by texazzpete(m): 11:11pm On Oct 26, 2009
aisha2:

I could give the Author of this thread a very hot kiss

LOL.
Didn't know you were a united fan too. grin
Re: Nigerians Are Sheep! by Nobody: 6:31am On Oct 27, 2009
^^^^

aisha 2 na hot woman o grin

no er fumbling
Re: Nigerians Are Sheep! by ProAnti: 7:54am On Oct 27, 2009
Abeg una with the name of all una believe in.
Nobody should think of dying for 9ja.

We can change things without dying.
Re: Nigerians Are Sheep! by lawrence83: 8:55am On Oct 27, 2009
Dying for this country, aint a very good idea, even if u bliv in that course

As for me, i will just play my own part in my closet, not dying for a country that do not care about me.

bt if u want to b a martyr, go ahead and be one, while the guys up there make away with millions of dollar.

They keep laughing at us from the comfort of their home.
Re: Nigerians Are Sheep! by Rebarobyn: 10:58am On Oct 27, 2009
many people have died in this country and nothing came out of it. when they die people make noise and after a while people move on. my point is there are many ways you can impact positively on the state of Nigeria without dying.

A less radical approach will move us forward, though it may be slow but we'll make progress in due time. we cannot deny the fact that corruption in Nigeria has reduced from what it used to be 10yrs ago when people stole and collected bribes without hiding it. at least now people are making effort to hide their crimes and EFCC is arresting and prosecuting high profile citizens, I think this is peaceful progress and I'd rather have that slow progress than see Nigeria in a state of anarchy!!
Re: Nigerians Are Sheep! by Nobody: 11:18am On Oct 27, 2009
texazzpete:

LOL.
Didn't know you were a united fan too. grin
So when are you coming to get your hot kiss?
Re: Nigerians Are Sheep! by ono(m): 4:35pm On Oct 27, 2009
Rebarobyn:

We cannot deny the fact that corruption in Nigeria has reduced from what it used to be 10yrs ago when people stole and collected bribes without hiding it. at least now people are making effort to hide their crimes and EFCC is arresting and prosecuting high profile citizens, I think this is peaceful progress and I'd rather have that slow progress than see Nigeria in a state of anarchy!!

I want to agree with you but I have my reservations. Bode George stole 84 Billion naira from NPA. Today, you can say what you like, he's a free man.

OBJ is living large at his Hiltop mansion at Ibara, Abeokuta. No one has done anything to bring him out and prosecute him. It was this same OBJ who set up EFCC to arrest and prosecute thieves and hardline criminals. In his days as President, OBJ shielded Bode George from the long arms of the law. George was called several names - Garrison Commander of PDP in Lagos, OBJ's man, etc.  Today, instead of the government of the day snuffing the life out of the old thief, they gave him only two years! And I heard he's already served 15 months out of the 24 months. So many governors, all over the country (except a few number of them) are practically doing nothing other than going bowl in hand to collect federal allocation at Abuja and keep same in their overseas account!

When you replied my first entry, I relaxed a little bit. Tex also brought up the polls stuff and I agree 100% with his line of thought. But I later realised that people actually died at the polls that brought both Adams and Mimiko into office. . . . .for without the shedding of blood, there will be no peace! A lot of people perished with those polls because they fought for what they believe in and also to silence the voice of the oppressors by all means possible. What that implies is that we can only win this war via violence for what is just and right.

And so now, I have resolved that it's through violence that we all can be free from the grip of the dissilussioned few amongst us and from the doldrums that we find ourselves in this country. Any other means will amount to nothing, or nothing much.
Re: Nigerians Are Sheep! by Ibime(m): 4:58pm On Oct 27, 2009
This is why I liked the National Students Union during Babangida days.

That was when we used to see real riot anytime government phuck up.

During those days, you always keep a green bushel of leaves in the boot of ya car, just incase those mothaphockas start a riot.  grin
Re: Nigerians Are Sheep! by ifele(m): 9:11pm On Oct 27, 2009
mODAFOKA stop calling Nigerians sheep. Its the criminals and parasites that are making us live in fears.

Kon she ejo awa naa. Abunu!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Scandal! State Governor Sleeps With Daughter! / Politicians Jostle For Ojukwu's Wife / Is Ojukwu Still Alive?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.