Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,167,032 members, 7,866,904 topics. Date: Friday, 21 June 2024 at 07:53 AM

Nigerians Are Sheep! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerians Are Sheep! (1432 Views)

Dele Momodu Writes Buhari, Says Nigerians Are Lamenting / How Nigerians Are Coping With Fuel Scarcity (Photos) / Nigerians Are Determined To Remain One – Buhari (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerians Are Sheep! by texazzpete(m): 6:49pm On Oct 25, 2009

The above images show protesters in the US marching against the decision by AIG to reward their top management with bonuses even after the credit crunch and after tax payers' monies were issued out to the company as bailout.
The pictures depict outraged Americans marching to protest this issue. It is pertinent to note that the bonuses were not illegal in any way, but were construed by the American public as being entirely immoral.

Now let's look at Nigeria. We have bank CEOs who have been involved in shady activities that are not only immoral (such as handing out hefty loans without collateral) but sometimes illegal (like giving out loans to shadow companies, loans to fronts and companies with vested interest).
Due to the reckless and foolish handling of the banks and a reckless and stupid over-exposure to the fortunes of the stock market, millions of ordinary, hardworking Nigerian bank shareholders have lost billions of Naira both in share value and in terms of unpaid dividends.

Given this scenario, one would think Nigerians would be up in arms about this, eagerly in the vanguard of those calling for the heads of the bank CEOs. Instead the vast majority of Nigerians i've spoken to - seemingly unconcerned with their real losses in the market and the threat to the Nigerian economy - are more interested in accusing Sanusi of pursuing an 'ethnic agenda'.

Some even go as far as lauding the bank CEOs for 'providing jobs' and 'making the banks the way they are', as if competent bank work and honesty are mutually exclusive!

But that's Nigeria and Nigerians for you. Shafted 24/7 by people we should hold accountable, yet we focus on irrelevant matters.

Truly, i think Nigerians are sheep! Meek, mild and always joyful to the slaughter slab.
Re: Nigerians Are Sheep! by Rebarobyn: 7:05pm On Oct 25, 2009
I think I understand your point on the voicing out part, Nigerians need to be more vocal and question our leaders. However, when people say that these bank executives have created jobs and diverse opportunities in our economy I think what they are implying is that sanusi should be more sensitive in managing the crisis so as not to ruin the entire banking industry which would eventually lead to serious job losses and totally cripple the stock market.

Also, you cannot compare USA to Nigeria. USA is more developed and they have a long standing democratic system that has zero tolerance for corruption, the "American freedom of speech" thing is for real and people can say how they feel and not get victimized. you cannot say the same for Nigeria. If you stand up to fight today you will just become a sacrificial lamb, kudirat abiola, bola ige and even MKO himself will testify. I mean if it was that simple I think even you would have organized a protest but societies differ.
Re: Nigerians Are Sheep! by rethink: 7:14pm On Oct 25, 2009
@texazzpete

The intelligence of a few loud typical nigerian is Summative. This Loud Core Nigerians of a 20 year bracket from 1980 to 2000 have what i call simplified mindset, it is not a bad thing it is a good thing but the application is the problem.

If you read you post you will see it in application where you said we are Sheep. Categorization is a lazy way of communicating to people. Somethimes I think it is a wicked way to speak.

If you looked yesterday in the U17 worldcup where people just walked out before half time when nigeria was down you will that it just took one person to get up for others to follow.

We need to have a militant core that would counter this loud dissillusioned core The optmistic patriotic militant core must identify the selfless elite and aline themselves with them so that they can counter the parasitic elite and the Loud disillusioned few.

God Bless Nigeria
Re: Nigerians Are Sheep! by rethink: 7:26pm On Oct 25, 2009
@rebarobyn

The Elite have the media and the real men need to stand up and lead the militant few if you can lead them you can Educate them. There are so many Elite here some are here to maintain a stranglehold on the mind of nigerians.

texazzpete is correct in his observations.

There is no difference in USA and Nigeria. There are theives in the USA so there are thieves in Nigeria. Our security service dont have any reason to die for Nigeria because the people they protect steal money and sleep with their wives and future wives to be and so they must also show to them that they are men by condoning crime.

If you give Nigeria free 400 years of men hours of work alone we would surpass america by a millenium.
Re: Nigerians Are Sheep! by Rebarobyn: 7:38pm On Oct 25, 2009
@rethink
I want change in Nigeria and I want things to be done properly and honestly, but you see corruption is not just about our leaders, it has eaten deep into our society. we as a people need to change. An average Nigerian would rather sulk up to the rich rather than say the truth and you know why? its because if you decide to fight you are on your own, our society needs change, we are in bondage we worship money and we revere rich people without questioning their sources of their money, that is the source of our problems.

so the million dollar question- are u willing and ready to lead the "militant few"?
Re: Nigerians Are Sheep! by ono(m): 8:09pm On Oct 25, 2009
@Rebarobyn,
But we have got to start from somewhere. We cannot and should not continue to watch, fold our arms in despair while these dissilusioned few ruin our lives and future! A journey of a thousand miles must start with one BOLD step.

That's why I like the MEND guys approach. Take it or leave it, they've been able to BEND the corrupt government of the day to listen to what everyone (imho) thinks is right. The language corruption understands is FORCE AND VIOLENCE. Well, some might say there are better and civilised ways of getting attention and channelling grievances. I await contributions from everyone as to how effective these civilised ways have been over the years in Nigeria in particular.
Re: Nigerians Are Sheep! by POSAKOSA1(m): 8:12pm On Oct 25, 2009
Don't they have the delta millitant boys ?    grin grin grin
Re: Nigerians Are Sheep! by POSAKOSA1(m): 8:16pm On Oct 25, 2009
I think that what change means to various Nigerians differs

We need to figure out a commonality of what change means to ALL Nigerians regardless of religion, tribe, eithnic group, and class.

That might be the first step
Re: Nigerians Are Sheep! by Rebarobyn: 8:19pm On Oct 25, 2009
I say we start from the grassroots! from the villages and the families where rich sons and daughters are treated with respect irrespective of where they got their money, if people's mindsets dont change we cannot so much about corrupt leaders because it all starts from there!

I also think Nigeria has made some progress in terms of corruption from the military days, its not like we've been stagnant, I think its progressive and we'll get there. All these banking saga and investigations etc, nothing like that even 5-10yrs ago so the civilised approach works but its slow, a radical move will work faster but it will cost lives and we don't want Nigeria in anarchy especially with all these religious and tribal tensions, there are two sides to everything
Re: Nigerians Are Sheep! by POSAKOSA1(m): 8:25pm On Oct 25, 2009
What change means to villagers is DIFFERENT from what change means to leaders
Re: Nigerians Are Sheep! by POSAKOSA1(m): 8:26pm On Oct 25, 2009
What is change and how can we create commonality of what change means to various groups in Nigeria ?

Meaning of change must be the same even though results of what is benefited may differ to the various groups.
Re: Nigerians Are Sheep! by Nobody: 11:15pm On Oct 25, 2009
First impression you created about nigerians being sheep,i think its insultive.,but nevertheless,i would say the type of democracy we run here is different from what is obtainable in the usa.,here,it takes time to really know what your rights are since everything appears as a privilege.,no one will carry placards because the police will not give them permit or they may arrest protesters.We always talk about revolution.,who will champion the cause??,nobody wants jail cuz life is sweet.,until our democracy improves,nothing will happen.,ask yourself,deregulation will soon commence,but do you hear of any protest against it except on the pages of newspaper.,abeg free me jare
Re: Nigerians Are Sheep! by texazzpete(m): 11:46pm On Oct 25, 2009
~Bluetooth:

First impression you created about nigerians being sheep,i think its insultive.,but nevertheless,i would say the type of democracy we run here is different from what is obtainable in the usa.,here,it takes time to really know what your rights are since everything appears as a privilege.,no one will carry placards because the police will not give them permit or they may arrest protesters.We always talk about revolution.,who will champion the cause??,nobody wants jail cuz life is sweet.,until our democracy improves,nothing will happen.,ask yourself,deregulation will soon commence,but do you hear of any protest against it except on the pages of newspaper.,abeg free me jare

And where exactly did i insist that Nigerians had to carry around placards?
My use of the US AIG bonus protest was merely to show how sensible human beings react when they are being taken for a ride. And that's a far cry from leaving the burning issues to dwell on a rumoured 'Northern Agenda'.

You reinforce my point inadvertently. It should not take time for you to know your rights, especially if you're an educated person. And shying away from any potentially tense situation and refusing to protest even in the face of hostile legislation marks us out as sheep.

Funny you speak about our democracy being less free than that of the US. There is no democracy in Iran, where the mullahs hold sway and the extremely powerful Revolutionary Guard crush all opposition. Did that stop hundreds of thousands of ordinary Iranians from taking to the streets when they felt their vote was threatened?
Aren't your words more in support of my original point?
Re: Nigerians Are Sheep! by bawomolo(m): 12:30am On Oct 26, 2009
I agree with the message of this thread. 

This obsequious attitude could be seen in the alao akala thread.  Nigerians have no problem settling for less.
Re: Nigerians Are Sheep! by puskin: 1:28am On Oct 26, 2009
I agree with the poster.
Nigerians are SHEEP, myself included.
The truth is, for this country of OURS to progress and move forward, people must DIE. shocked
This death must be in oneness and togetherness with all believing in one cause and must cut across all tribal, class, gender, ethnic, religious and language strata.

Taking a closer look @some countries in the world which had a semblance to what present-day Nigeria is facing e.g. Phillipines, South Africa, Liberia, Russia, Ghana, U.S.A, Mozambìque. . .the list is endless, they all have one thing in common. People died for their country's progress of 2day.
So the REAL question is. . . Inorder not 2be a SHEEP, are U advertently/inadvertently prepared 2die shocked for the progress of ur country??
Think about IT. lipsrsealed
Re: Nigerians Are Sheep! by TheSly: 2:02am On Oct 26, 2009

Oh No. . . .Not again,
Nigerians are no sheep, They just dont have a fucking choice!!
Re: Nigerians Are Sheep! by Kobojunkie: 2:05am On Oct 26, 2009
The Sly:

Oh No. . . .Not again,

Oh brother!! undecided
Re: Nigerians Are Sheep! by TheSly: 2:13am On Oct 26, 2009
Kobojunkie:

Oh brother!! undecided
Yes. . . .Death is the end of the road,
Heck!. . . Why would any sane person wanna die trying to make things right?
Can YOU do it??
Re: Nigerians Are Sheep! by ezeagu(m): 2:14am On Oct 26, 2009
puskin:

I agree with the poster.
The truth is, for this country of OURS to progress and move forward, people must DIE. shocked
This death must be in oneness and togetherness with all believing in one cause and must cut across all tribal, class, gender, ethnic, religious and language strata.

Taking a closer look @some countries in the world which had a semblance to what present-day Nigeria is facing e.g. Phillipines, South Africa, Liberia, Russia, Ghana, U.S.A, Mozambìque. . .the list is endless, they all have one thing in common. People died for their country's progress of 2day.
So the REAL question is. . . Inorder not 2be a SHEEP, are U advertently/inadvertently prepared 2die shocked for the progress of your country??
Think about IT. lipsrsealed

Who's going to die for something some white guys made up?
Re: Nigerians Are Sheep! by TheSly: 2:16am On Oct 26, 2009
puskin:

I agree with the poster.

Great, Mr Sheep.
Re: Nigerians Are Sheep! by Kobojunkie: 2:20am On Oct 26, 2009
The Sly:

Yes. . . .Death is the end of the road,
Heck!. . . Why would any sane person wanna die trying to make things right?
Can YOU do it??

Is this life you are willing to protect even in misery really worth living in slavery?
Re: Nigerians Are Sheep! by manmustwac(m): 2:39am On Oct 26, 2009
Nigerians are Sheep, very cheap for that matter. If we protested like they did in Iran we'd see some solid changes by now.
Re: Nigerians Are Sheep! by puskin: 2:42am On Oct 26, 2009
@kobojunkie
Please, sound it in Sly's ears very well.
Re: Nigerians Are Sheep! by vanitty: 2:42am On Oct 26, 2009
The Sly:

Oh No. . . .Not again,

There u go,  Nigerians are not all sheep . .  . . . shame that protest had to happen in a civilised country though.
Police brutality, night in a mosquito-infested cell, actual death are some of the reasons I can come up with that stop lots of protest from happening in Nigeria
Bluetooth said it all really, until democracy improves  . . . . . . .
Re: Nigerians Are Sheep! by bawomolo(m): 2:46am On Oct 26, 2009
Kobojunkie:

Is this life you are willing to protect even in misery really worth living in slavery?

can u die for your country?
Re: Nigerians Are Sheep! by Kobojunkie: 2:47am On Oct 26, 2009
bawomolo:

can u die for your country?

If I told you I would, how would you know if I was telling you the truth or lying?
Re: Nigerians Are Sheep! by bawomolo(m): 2:48am On Oct 26, 2009
Kobojunkie:

If I told you I would, how would you know if I was telling you the truth or lying?

just asking.
Re: Nigerians Are Sheep! by Kobojunkie: 2:51am On Oct 26, 2009
I would be willing to die fighting for what I believe in.
Re: Nigerians Are Sheep! by TheSly: 2:55am On Oct 26, 2009
manmustwac:

Nigerians are Sheep, very cheap for that matter. If we protested like they did in Iran we'd see some solid changes by now.
What changes did you see in Iran?
Oh I remember, Some activist got sentenced to death after the protest,
Now that's what i called a change!! . . . .SMH

Kobojunkie:

Where there's life. . . . .There's hope.
Killing oneself under any circumstances is an act of gross stupidity.
Nothing under the sun is worth killing oneself over. wink
Re: Nigerians Are Sheep! by vanitty: 2:55am On Oct 26, 2009
Kobojunkie:

I would be willing to die fighting for what I believe in.

awwwwwww we need more people like u in Nigeria. Brave people very brave!!!
I believe we have a martyr in our midst ladies and gents
let just hope your death is not in vain eh
Re: Nigerians Are Sheep! by Nobody: 2:58am On Oct 26, 2009
vanitty:

awwwwwww we need more people like u in Nigeria. Brave people very brave!!!
I believe we have a martyr in our midst ladies and gents
let just hope your death is not in vain eh

She never said she believed in Nigeria, hence may not be willing to die for her.
With this, why would you need more of her in Nigeria?

@poster

Nigerians are not only sheeps but bloody cowards and hypocrites!
However, these traits cannot be said to be what is is holding some Nigerians back from supporting Sanusi's agenda as you would expect. Take it or leave it, it has more to do with ethnicity and religion.
The Nigerian project has been so manipulated, raped and basterdized up to the extent that an average Nigerian would not want to trust anybody from another ethnic group or religion even if they seem to be doing a great job. In the past and even present, trust like that have been betrayed countless times.

This doubts, mistrust and pessimism is going to hang around for a long time until Nigerians decide what actually is the best for them.
Re: Nigerians Are Sheep! by ezeagu(m): 3:00am On Oct 26, 2009
Why die when you can just move country? grin

(1) (2) (Reply)

Beaf Bibiking Join nigeriaone.com . I Want To Send You Private Information / My Thought On Ibb, Atiku And Buhari Bid And Next Generation Of Northerner / Udenwa, Ararume Defect To Acn, As Tinubu, Others Storm Imo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.