Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,238 members, 7,818,811 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:11 AM

Working In Ribaa Banks. - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Working In Ribaa Banks. (1642 Views)

Borrowing Money From One Of Those Microfinance Banks / Ruling On Muslim Working In An Interest-based Bank / Opening An Account With Riba Based Banks (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Working In Ribaa Banks. by Newnas(m): 10:27pm On Oct 25, 2016
BismiLLaah AlhamduliLlah, Solah and Salam upon RosuliLLaah.

My brother, it's not permissible to engage or assist in any form of ribaa because ribaa is a most detested act to Allah, anyone who gives it or receives it or serves as a witness or accountant/secretary in a ribaa transaction is cursed by the Messenger of Allah alyhissolaat wassalaam.

Allah says:

[b]Surah Al-Baqara, Verse 275:
الَّذِينَ يَأْكُلُونَ الرِّبَا لَا يَقُومُونَ إِلَّا كَمَا يَقُومُ الَّذِي يَتَخَبَّطُهُ الشَّيْطَانُ مِنَ الْمَسِّ ذَٰلِكَ بِأَنَّهُمْ قَالُوا إِنَّمَا الْبَيْعُ مِثْلُ الرِّبَا وَأَحَلَّ اللَّهُ الْبَيْعَ وَحَرَّمَ الرِّبَا فَمَن جَاءَهُ مَوْعِظَةٌ مِّن رَّبِّهِ فَانتَهَىٰ فَلَهُ مَا سَلَفَ وَأَمْرُهُ إِلَى اللَّهِ وَمَنْ عَادَ فَأُولَٰئِكَ أَصْحَابُ النَّارِ هُمْ فِيهَا خَالِدُونَ

Those who eat Riba (usury) will not stand (on the Day of Resurrection) except like the standing of a person beaten by Shaitan (Satan) leading him to insanity. That is because they say: "Trading is only like Riba (usury)," whereas Allah has permitted trading and forbidden Riba (usury). So whosoever receives an admonition from his Lord and stops eating Riba (usury) shall not be punished for the past; his case is for Allah (to judge); but whoever returns [to Riba (usury)], such are the dwellers of the Fire - they will abide therein.
(English - Mohsin Khan)

via iQuran

And He also says:

Surah Al-Baqara, Verse 275:
الَّذِينَ يَأْكُلُونَ الرِّبَا لَا يَقُومُونَ إِلَّا كَمَا يَقُومُ الَّذِي يَتَخَبَّطُهُ الشَّيْطَانُ مِنَ الْمَسِّ ذَٰلِكَ بِأَنَّهُمْ قَالُوا إِنَّمَا الْبَيْعُ مِثْلُ الرِّبَا وَأَحَلَّ اللَّهُ الْبَيْعَ وَحَرَّمَ الرِّبَا فَمَن جَاءَهُ مَوْعِظَةٌ مِّن رَّبِّهِ فَانتَهَىٰ فَلَهُ مَا سَلَفَ وَأَمْرُهُ إِلَى اللَّهِ وَمَنْ عَادَ فَأُولَٰئِكَ أَصْحَابُ النَّارِ هُمْ فِيهَا خَالِدُونَ

Those who eat Riba (usury) will not stand (on the Day of Resurrection) except like the standing of a person beaten by Shaitan (Satan) leading him to insanity. That is because they say: "Trading is only like Riba (usury)," whereas Allah has permitted trading and forbidden Riba (usury). So whosoever receives an admonition from his Lord and stops eating Riba (usury) shall not be punished for the past; his case is for Allah (to judge); but whoever returns [to Riba (usury)], such are the dwellers of the Fire - they will abide therein.
(English - Mohsin Khan)

via iQuran
[/b]

And the Messenger of Allah alyhissolaat wassalaam cursed the giver and receiver of ribaa (usury)

In the hadith compiled by Imam Bukharee, Book of Divorce,

Chapter:
The prices of prostitutes and invalid marriage

Hadith no :5206

Narrated Abu Juhaifa:

The Prophet cursed the lady who practices tattooing and the one who gets herself tattooed, *and one who eats (takes) Riba'''' (usury) and the one who gives it.* And he prohibited taking the price of a dog, and the money earned by prostitution, and cursed the makers of pictures.

Imam Muslim also recorded in his Soheeh.
Book of Musaaqaat

ChaptersadThe messenger alyhissolaat wassalaam) cursed the eater and giver of ribaa.

«4177» حدثنا محمد بن الصباح وزهير بن حرب وعثمان بن أبي شيبة قالوا حدثنا هشيم أخبرنا أبو الزبير عن جابر قال لعن رسول الله صلى الله عليه وسلم آكل الربا وموكله وكاتبه وشاهديه وقال هم سواء.

The messenger of Allah alyhissolaat wassalaam cursed the eater of ribaa, it's giver and it's writer (accountant/witness/secretary) and said: "they are all the same".

Allah enjoins us to assist one another in goodness and piety and not assist one another in sins and transgressions.
Allah says:

Surah Al-Maeda, Verse 2:
يَا أَيُّهَا الَّذِينَ آمَنُوا لَا تُحِلُّوا شَعَائِرَ اللَّهِ وَلَا الشَّهْرَ الْحَرَامَ وَلَا الْهَدْيَ وَلَا الْقَلَائِدَ وَلَا آمِّينَ الْبَيْتَ الْحَرَامَ يَبْتَغُونَ فَضْلًا مِّن رَّبِّهِمْ وَرِضْوَانًا وَإِذَا حَلَلْتُمْ فَاصْطَادُوا وَلَا يَجْرِمَنَّكُمْ شَنَآنُ قَوْمٍ أَن صَدُّوكُمْ عَنِ الْمَسْجِدِ الْحَرَامِ أَن تَعْتَدُوا وَتَعَاوَنُوا عَلَى الْبِرِّ وَالتَّقْوَىٰ وَلَا تَعَاوَنُوا عَلَى الْإِثْمِ وَالْعُدْوَانِ وَاتَّقُوا اللَّهَ إِنَّ اللَّهَ شَدِيدُ الْعِقَابِ

O you who believe! Violate not the sanctity of the Symbols of Allah, nor of the Sacred Month, nor of the animals brought for sacrifice, nor the garlanded people or animals, etc. [Marked by the garlands on their necks made from the outer part of the tree-stems (of Makkah) for their security], nor the people coming to the Sacred House (Makkah), seeking the bounty and good pleasure of their Lord. But when you finish the Ihram (of Hajj or 'Umrah), you may hunt, and let not the hatred of some people in (once) stopping you from Al-Masjid-al-Haram (at Makkah) lead you to transgression (and hostility on your part). *Help you one another in Al-Birr and At-Taqwa (virtue, righteousness and piety); but do not help one another in sin and transgression.* And fear Allah. Verily, Allah is Severe in punishment.
(English - Mohsin Khan)

via iQuran

We shouldn't let shaitan deceive us by making us think that we can't be independent of Haram earnings. Allah has promised to assist those who are pious.

Allah says (interpretation of the meaning)
Surah Talaq 2~3:

Then when they are about to fulfil their term appointed, either take them back in a good manner or part with them in a good manner. And take for witness two just persons from among you (Muslims). And establish the witness for Allah. That will be an admonition given to him who believes in Allah and the Last Day. *And whosoever fears Allah and keeps his duty to Him, He will make a way for him to get out (from every difficulty).*

*And He will provide him from (sources) he never could imagine. And whosoever puts his trust in Allah, then He will suffice him. Verily, Allah will accomplish his purpose. Indeed Allah has set a measure for all things.*
(English - Mohsin Khan)

via iQuran

We ask Allah to provide halal and abundant provision for us all.

1 Like

Re: Working In Ribaa Banks. by Nobody: 7:24pm On Oct 26, 2016
JazakAllaah khayra!

I even hate banking job to begin with,

Those that borrow airtime from network providers are also engaging in riba without knowing, people should flee from that!

3 Likes

Re: Working In Ribaa Banks. by OLAJADON: 3:47pm On Oct 27, 2016
lexiconkabir:
JazakAllaah khayra!

I even hate banking job to begin with,

Those that borrow airtime from network providers are also engaging in riba without knowing, people should flee from that!
In a situation where u are out of cash and u want to make an urgent call, wat do u do?
Also I want to ask, are there not situations where u have no other choice but to facilitate riba.
Re: Working In Ribaa Banks. by Nobody: 4:24pm On Oct 27, 2016
OLAJADON:

In a situation where u are out of cash and u want to make an urgent call, wat do u do?

I don't think that call is a must and even if it is, there are many alternatives, you can ask from someone that has, you can send "call me back", you can send a text, I mean so many alternatives.

Also I want to ask, are there not situations where u have no other choice but to facilitate riba.

I don't think so, especially when all countries(that I know) has non interest banking in their system.

And Allaah knows best.
Re: Working In Ribaa Banks. by OLAJADON: 8:24pm On Oct 27, 2016
lexiconkabir:

I don't think that call is a must and even if it is, there are many alternatives, you can ask from someone that has, you can send "call me back", you can send a text, I mean so many alternatives.
What if where you are, you easy get access to someone that would let you money and you also don't know how to send call me back using your network provider(eg I don't know the code for Etisalat call me back)

I don't think so, especially when all countries(that I know) has non interest banking in their system.

And Allaah knows best.
Let take d Nigeria banking sector as an example since they use interest, if we have a Muslim brother that works with them with no other ends to feed his wife and children, do u expect him to resign?
I think taking or giving riba depend on the situation you find yourself although Islam does not support it so I have to try as much as possible also to avoid it but their are situation whereby you have no other choice but to get involve in it
Wallah Allah
Re: Working In Ribaa Banks. by OLAJADON: 8:26pm On Oct 27, 2016
[quote author=lexiconkabir post=50555948]

What if where you are, you easy get access to someone that would let you money and you also don't know how to send call me back using your network provider(eg I don't know the code for Etisalat call me back)
Wallah Allah
Re: Working In Ribaa Banks. by OLAJADON: 8:27pm On Oct 27, 2016
[quote author=OLAJADON post=50561518][/quote]
@lexiconkabir
Re: Working In Ribaa Banks. by Nobody: 8:32pm On Oct 27, 2016
OLAJADON:

Let take d Nigeria banking sector as an example since they use interest, if we have a Muslim brother that works with them with no other ends to feed his wife and children, do u expect him to resign?
I think taking or giving riba depend on the situation you find yourself although Islam does not support it so I have to try as much as possible also to avoid it but their are situation whereby you have no other choice but to get involve in it
Wallah A'lam

Scholars have ruled out that working in such institution even as a driver is haraam, this might help;

https://islamqa.info/en/21113

By the way, Nigeria also have Non interest banks too.
Re: Working In Ribaa Banks. by Nobody: 8:35pm On Oct 27, 2016
lexiconkabir:

Scholars have ruled out that working in such institution even as a driver is haraam, this might help;

This is the first time I am hearing this. Do you know the name of any?
Re: Working In Ribaa Banks. by OLAJADON: 8:39pm On Oct 27, 2016
lexiconkabir:

Can u name one or two for me.
Re: Working In Ribaa Banks. by OLAJADON: 8:42pm On Oct 27, 2016
lexiconkabir:

Have read your link jazakumllah aikran
Re: Working In Ribaa Banks. by Nobody: 8:43pm On Oct 27, 2016
[quote author=OLAJADON post=50561518][/quote]

I'm honestly hesitant in discussing deeply about ribaa, well there is what is called "necessity" and there are conditions to be met before that case can be called a necessity, read this up https://islamqa.info/en/21113
Re: Working In Ribaa Banks. by Nobody: 8:45pm On Oct 27, 2016
OLAJADON:

Contact17:

Stambic ibtc bank and jaiz bank.
Re: Working In Ribaa Banks. by Nobody: 8:51pm On Oct 27, 2016
lexiconkabir:

Jazakallahu Khiran
Re: Working In Ribaa Banks. by Nobody: 9:08pm On Oct 27, 2016
OLAJADON:

Sorry this is the correct link for the conditions of necessity https://islamqa.info/en/130815
Re: Working In Ribaa Banks. by OLAJADON: 9:12pm On Oct 27, 2016
lexiconkabir:

When I want to open account for non profit which type of account will I demand for? Also loan access in this banks you mentioned is their interest
Tnkz again, you very resourceful.
Re: Working In Ribaa Banks. by Nobody: 9:24pm On Oct 27, 2016
OLAJADON:

When I want to open account for non profit which type of account will I demand for? Also loan access in this banks you mentioned is their interest

As per opening of account, I don't know much about that, as I don't have an account with any of them, maybe you can go to any of these banks and make enquiry.

I only got to know about jaiz by an economics lecturer which happens to be the first NIB that came to Nigeria around 2003/2004 and stanbic ibtc through their advert on TV.
Re: Working In Ribaa Banks. by OLAJADON: 9:33pm On Oct 27, 2016
lexiconkabir:

As per opening of account, I don't know much about that, as I don't have an account with any of them, maybe you can go to any of these banks and make enquiry.

I only got to know about jaiz by an economics lecturer which happens to be the first NIB that came to Nigeria around 2003/2004 and stanbic ibtc through their advert on TV.
OK, but what about the loan question does it operate on interest.... Because if it does then their is no different between it and other Nigerian banks(they also don't operate on interest just by depositing with them).
Re: Working In Ribaa Banks. by Nobody: 9:36pm On Oct 27, 2016
OLAJADON:

OK, but what about the loan question does it operate on interest.... Because if it does then their is no different between it and other Nigerian banks(they also don't operate on interest just by depositing with them).

Oh! The loan has no interest, that's why it's called non interest banking in the first place, just go to the bank first sha(preferably jaiz first).
Re: Working In Ribaa Banks. by OLAJADON: 9:44pm On Oct 27, 2016
lexiconkabir:

Oh! The loan has no interest, that's why it's called non interest banking in the first place, just go to the bank first sha(preferably jaiz first).
OK, will try tnkz
Re: Working In Ribaa Banks. by Nobody: 9:48pm On Oct 28, 2016
Contact17:

Jaiz bank dey na..almost in 11 state in Nigeria sef! One dey Ilorin o..HQ dey Abuja..!

2 Likes

Re: Working In Ribaa Banks. by Nobody: 10:04pm On Oct 28, 2016
OLAJADON:

There is difference of opinion on this issue of credit borrowing or not. But frm the hadith of Abu Muhammad Hassan Ibn Ali ibn Abi Talib, leaving doubtful matters is a way of muslims, so one doesn't fall into error, wallaahu allaam.
Re: Working In Ribaa Banks. by Nobody: 10:06pm On Oct 28, 2016
OLAJADON:

Wallah Allah

Akhee, must you work in a riba based b4 one can feed his family? There are other jobs to do asides that, the problem is the western mentality that a whole meee, graduate working in a pure water company, for instance..igberaga oshi dat is doin us ni. Also you forget that only Allaah provides sustenance not ur working o, if one can seat down and think, and calculate his/her expense in a month and check with his salary, u wil be suprised aw allaah has been merciful! Also, he myt be working in this so called riba based bank and still not be able to feed his wife and kids, this wan na CONFIRM .

Yes he should resign, according to the sharia. Also, majority of muslims do not know the harms of riba, to the extent that Allaah proclaimed war on those who engage in riba; ie the one collecting(cashier, guarantor(ee), etc), one witnessing, one giving, one writing for them, even the one guarding dem(gateman) etc! Did you know riba is worse than zina for like 36 times more, in d sight of Allaah?! Also, did you know eating haram also cause duas not to be answered? Did u know eating haram leads to Allaahs anger? Did you know riba is the major cause of the worlds problem, wen it comes to the millions on the streets esp in the west( US, UK etc) ie buy a aws wif a loan of 50k, and dey say b4 the end of 3 years u wil be paying 80k..and u will first pay the 30k first ooo..and if one is unfortunate, he's not able to pay afta 3 yrs, more interest dey climb am, until, u won't be able to keep up wif d house and sell it to dem..dat is aw de do wif billions of ppl wif dem, No matter wat dem no fit lose!!! This issue of riba is an extensive one oo! Also, the current fitnah we r facing in Nigeria now, majority of it is caused by riba!

#culled
In a nutshell, Riba is forbidden because of the harmful
effects that result from it, such as:
Economic effects, e.g., keeping money idle
and unproductive, and swelling the ranks of
the poor;
Social effects, e.g., cutting ties, creating
enmity and hatred between the poor and
the rich, and spreading corruption and
promiscuity caused by need;
Psychological and spiritual effects, e.g.,
arrogance, looking down on others, hard-
heartedness and exploiting the needs of the
poor.
The above describes the effects of Riba on
the individual level. On the state level,
countries are weakened, their resources fall
under the control of others, they end up
following their enemies’ desires, they are
robbed of their natural wealth and their
problems get even worse. This is what we
see happening in reality. We ask Allaah to
keep us safe and sound..

Allaahu musta'an.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Working In Ribaa Banks. by Nobody: 10:16pm On Oct 28, 2016
The people you see, especially Africans(black mentality) are the ones shouting, leave interest alone. Even in the UK, they have. IBB there(Islamic Bank of Britain) it has been there for the past 40 years, and most people wey dey rush go there, na non-muslims, wen dey know, their money will be there as they left it, even this Jaiz bank in Nigeria now, you will see the number of muslims and non-muslim as customers will be more in time to come. I think Africans need to start reading, research on history of things(issues), not just sit down wif 2-10MegaBytes, and start behaving like an educated illiterate!!

By to the way, riba is loss transfering, non riba is loss sharing, Oh islaam is beautiful!!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Working In Ribaa Banks. by Nobody: 3:44am On Oct 29, 2016
RABIUSHILE04:

Jaiz bank dey na..almost in 11 state in Nigeria sef! One dey Ilorin o..HQ dey Abuja..!

Wow! I didn't know that.

Jazakallahu Khyran
Re: Working In Ribaa Banks. by OLAJADON: 10:11am On Oct 29, 2016
RABIUSHILE04:

Akhee, must you work in a riba based b4 one can feed his family? There are other jobs to do asides that, the problem is the western mentality that a whole meee, graduate working in a pure water company, for instance..igberaga oshi dat is doin us ni. Also you forget that only Allaah provides sustenance not ur working o, if one can seat down and think, and calculate his/her expense in a month and check with his salary, u wil be suprised aw allaah has been merciful! Also, he myt be working in this so called riba based bank and still not be able to feed his wife and kids, this wan na CONFIRM .

Yes he should resign, according to the sharia. Also, majority of muslims do not know the harms of riba, to the extent that Allaah proclaimed war on those who engage in riba; ie the one collecting(cashier, guarantor(ee), etc), one witnessing, one giving, one writing for them, even the one guarding dem(gateman) etc! Did you know riba is worse than zina for like 36 times more, in d sight of Allaah?! Also, did you know eating haram also cause duas not to be answered? Did u know eating haram leads to Allaahs anger? Did you know riba is the major cause of the worlds problem, wen it comes to the millions on the streets esp in the west( US, UK etc) ie buy a aws wif a loan of 50k, and dey say b4 the end of 3 years u wil be paying 80k..and u will first pay the 30k first ooo..and if one is unfortunate, he's not able to pay afta 3 yrs, more interest dey climb am, until, u won't be able to keep up wif d house and sell it to dem..dat is aw de do wif billions of ppl wif dem, No matter wat dem no fit lose!!! This issue of riba is an extensive one oo! Also, the current fitnah we r facing in Nigeria now, majority of it is caused by riba!

#culled
In a nutshell, Riba is forbidden because of the harmful
effects that result from it, such as:
Economic effects, e.g., keeping money idle
and unproductive, and swelling the ranks of
the poor;
Social effects, e.g., cutting ties, creating
enmity and hatred between the poor and
the rich, and spreading corruption and
promiscuity caused by need;
Psychological and spiritual effects, e.g.,
arrogance, looking down on others, hard-
heartedness and exploiting the needs of the
poor.
The above describes the effects of Riba on
the individual level. On the state level,
countries are weakened, their resources fall
under the control of others, they end up
following their enemies’ desires, they are
robbed of their natural wealth and their
problems get even worse. This is what we
see happening in reality. We ask Allaah to
keep us safe and sound..

Allaahu musta'an.
OK then but what about MMM
Re: Working In Ribaa Banks. by Demmzy15(m): 10:50am On Oct 29, 2016
lexiconkabir:

I opened with both and I'm considering collecting an ATM. My dad is even considering transferring his salary there.
Re: Working In Ribaa Banks. by Demmzy15(m): 10:51am On Oct 29, 2016
OLAJADON:

For Stanbic you ask for Iman Banking, all your borrowing and stuffs is treated here.
Re: Working In Ribaa Banks. by Nobody: 10:52am On Oct 29, 2016
Demmzy15:
I opened with both and I'm considering collecting an ATM. My dad is even considering transferring his salary there.

Oh! Really?! What's the procedure? How much is needed to open an account?
Re: Working In Ribaa Banks. by Demmzy15(m): 10:53am On Oct 29, 2016
RABIUSHILE04:

It's not in Ekiti where I school, but that of Abuja is located at Wuse, just opposite Wuse Market.
Re: Working In Ribaa Banks. by Demmzy15(m): 11:00am On Oct 29, 2016
lexiconkabir:

Oh! Really?! What's the procedure? How much is needed to open an account?
It's just like normal bank procedures, I used 5k. It was late before I went back to school.
Re: Working In Ribaa Banks. by Nobody: 11:02am On Oct 29, 2016
RABIUSHILE04:

Yeah. For Kano I see 3 beaches.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Do Not Call A Believer Munafiq Except With Clear Proof / One Of The Founders Of Hamas Say's Islam Will Collapse In Ten Years / Why Muslim's?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.