Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,969 members, 7,817,843 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:03 PM

Nigerian Pidgin On Wikipedia - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Nigerian Pidgin On Wikipedia (4905 Views)

How Does One Gets His/her Biography On Wikipedia ? / Nigerian Pidgin English Becoming More Popular And Spoken In African Countries / Nairaland Not On Wikipedia: Why? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Pidgin On Wikipedia by naijacutee(f): 6:28pm On Jan 01, 2007
This is why I love wiki!! Check out this article, people!:

Nigerian Pidgin is a dialect of English spoken as a kind of lingua franca across Nigeria that is referred to simply as "Pidgin", "Broken English" or "Brokan". It is not considered a creole language since there are no "native" speakers, although children do learn it early. Its superstrate is English with Hausa, Yorùbá and Igbo as the main substrate languages. Nigerian Pidgin is also spoken across West Africa, in countries such as Ghana, and Cameroon.

Each of the 250, or more, ethnic groups in Nigeria can converse in this language, they usually have their own additional words. For example, the Yorùbás added the words 'Şe' and 'Abi' to the language. These are often used at the start or end of an intonated sentence or question. For example, "You are coming, right?" becomes "Şe you dey come?" or "You dey come abi?" Another example the Igbos added the word, "Nna" also used at the beginning of some sentences to add effect to the meaning of their sentence. For example, "that test was hard" becomes "Nna men, that test hard no be small".

Nigerian Pidgin also varies from place to place. Dialects of Nigerian Pidgin may include the Lagos, Onitsha, Benin City, and Ibadan dialects. Sometimes the language may vary even in different parts of the same city.

Nigerian Pidgin, along with the various pidgin and creole languages of West Africa, displays a remarkable similarity to the various dialects of English found in the Caribbean. Linguists hypothesize that this stems from the fact that the majority of slaves taken to the New World were of West African origin, and many words and phrases in Nigerian Pidgin can be found in Jamaican Creole (also known as Jamaican Patois or simply Patois) and the other creole languages of the West Indies. The pronunciation and accents often differ a great deal, mainly due to the extremely heterogeneous mix of African languages present in the West Indies, but if written on paper or spoken slowly, the creole languages of West Africa are for the most part mutually intelligible with the creole languages of the Caribbean. The presence of repetitious phrases in Jamaican Creole such as "su-su" (gossip) and "pyaa-pyaa" (sickly) mirror the presence of such phrases in West African languages such as "bam-bam", which means "complete" in the Yoruba language. Repetitious phrases are also present in Nigerian Pidgin, such as, "koro-koro", meaning "clear vision", "mede-mede", meaning "salad", and "dorti-dorti", meaning "garbage". Furthermore, the use of the words of West African origin in Jamaican Patois, such as "boasie" (meaning proud, a word that comes from the Yoruba word "bosi" also meaning "proud"wink and "Unu" - Jamaican Patois or "Una" - West African Pidgin ( (meaning "you people", a word that comes from the Ibo word "unu" also meaning "you people" display some of the interesting similarities between the English pidgins and creoles of West Africa and the English pidgins and creoles of the West Indies, as does the presence of words and phrases that are identical in the languages on both sides of the Atlantic, such as "Me a go tell dem" (I'm going to tell them) and "make we" (let us). Use of the word "deh" or "dey" is found in both Jamaican Patois and Nigerian Pidgin English, and is used in place of the English word "is" or "are". The phrase "We dey in London" would be understood by both a speaker of Patois and a speaker of Nigerian Pidgin to mean "We are in London". Other similarities, such as "pikin" (Nigerian Pidgin for "child"wink and "pikney" (or "pikiny"--Jamaican Patois for "child"wink further demonstrate the linguistic relationship.

The most important differences to other types of English is that there are only some consonants, vowels (6) and diphthongs (3) used. This produces a lot of homophones (words sound the same with different meanings), like thin, thing and tin which are all three pronounced like /tin/. This circumstance gives a high importance to the context, the tone, the body speech and any other ways of communication for the distinction of the homophones.

Some examples include,

Wetin dey happen means What is happening?

I no no, I no know, Me no no or Me no know means I don't know

Come chop means Come & eat
Re: Nigerian Pidgin On Wikipedia by candylips(m): 7:33pm On Jan 01, 2007
hmmmm never knew that undecided
Re: Nigerian Pidgin On Wikipedia by sakish(f): 7:43pm On Jan 01, 2007
wow
Re: Nigerian Pidgin On Wikipedia by akindayor(m): 5:33am On Jan 02, 2007
@naijacutee
u're not only cute u re also a brainiac
i was just amazed what prompted your search of pidgin in wiki
i was discussing wit friends recently y nigeria needs a common language to unite us
my friends think its impossible because of our ethnic plurality this article supports the possibility of dat hapnin
Re: Nigerian Pidgin On Wikipedia by iice(f): 5:39am On Jan 02, 2007
Wicked kewl cheesy
Re: Nigerian Pidgin On Wikipedia by Ibukun2(f): 4:09pm On Jan 04, 2007
I was also searching for pidgin on the Internet cos I'm really amazed by this language and one day I want to speak it well well wink So as I was searching, I came across this site :

http://www.ngex.com/personalities/babawilly/dictionary/default.htm

Check it out!!! Una go love it!!!!! grin
Re: Nigerian Pidgin On Wikipedia by iice(f): 4:13pm On Jan 04, 2007
Awesome! lol. Ibukun, give it time, you will speak it like a pro wink
Re: Nigerian Pidgin On Wikipedia by Ibukun2(f): 4:27pm On Jan 04, 2007
Thanks iice. My baby dey teach me small small sha.
Re: Nigerian Pidgin On Wikipedia by dafman(m): 8:02pm On Jan 05, 2007
Interesting. I always thought the jamaican patois sounded like pidgin, never knew our nna's and aburo's contributed to it.
Re: Nigerian Pidgin On Wikipedia by Nobody: 6:39am On Feb 23, 2010
funny you all act suprised lol we Jamaicans came from somewhere you know lol.

(1) (Reply)

What Would Make Your Clubbing Experience More Fun? / How Come You Have Never Posted on Nairaland? / Quotes About Life To Inspire And Motivate You (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.