Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,778 members, 7,820,719 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:12 PM

Why Did God Put The Tree Of Knowledge In The Garden Of Eden - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Did God Put The Tree Of Knowledge In The Garden Of Eden (3000 Views)

Why Did God Create The Tree Of Good and evil If He Didn't Want Man To Sin / Christians:What Fruit Did Adam And Eve Eat Inside The Garden Of Eden? / Why Did God Put The Tree Of Good And Evil In The Garden Of Eden? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Did God Put The Tree Of Knowledge In The Garden Of Eden by Atheists: 6:39am On Oct 26, 2009
Why was that tree in the garden of eden in the first place ? Isn't this the equivalent of keeping a 9mm pistol a toddlers crib ?
Re: Why Did God Put The Tree Of Knowledge In The Garden Of Eden by ttalks(m): 8:40am On Oct 26, 2009
It was put there so what happened could happen.

Finito! Ok?
Re: Why Did God Put The Tree Of Knowledge In The Garden Of Eden by PastorAIO: 10:29am On Oct 26, 2009
O Felix Culpa!
Re: Why Did God Put The Tree Of Knowledge In The Garden Of Eden by Recognise: 12:03pm On Oct 26, 2009
Atheists:

Why was that tree in the garden of eden in the first place ?

Isn't this the equivalent of keeping a 9mm pistol a toddlers crib ?

@Post

"Why was that tree in the garden of eden in the first place ?

Isn't this the equivalent of keeping a 9mm pistol a toddlers crib ?
" you asked

On the contrary, no it isnt equivalent to keeping a 9mm pistol in a toddler’s crib.

These tenants were grown and capable of making decisions to comply with an expressed command or to wilfully flout it.

They were advised (i.e. warned) not to be irresponsible and were made to understand there will be consequences if the instruction was ignored.

The  tree was in the garden in as much as the Tree of Life was there alongside it too.

It was there to test  faith, loyalty and belief in God and His word

The garden of Eden had all sorts of tree you can possibly imagine; the Tree of Life and the Tree of the knowledge of Good and Evil inclusive

The Tree of Life along with the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil were strategically positioned in the middle (i.e. centre)  of the garden.

So there isnt any excuse of accidentally bumping into it.

The tenants were allowed access to all the trees in the Garden but were given an expressed instruction not to eat of the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil (i.e.one might say look touch but dont eat else you die)

What beats me is how can one choose a Tree of Doom (i.e. Death) over a Tree of Life

Ambition? Running before crawling?
Re: Why Did God Put The Tree Of Knowledge In The Garden Of Eden by Tonyet1(m): 1:01pm On Oct 26, 2009
Also to add,

TLB bible version puts it this way

>>>Gen 2:9: The Lord God planted all sorts of beautiful trees there in the garden, trees producing the choicest of fruit. At the center of the garden he placed the Tree of Life, and also the Tree of Conscience, giving knowledge of Good and Bad.
TLB

I personally believe amongst those trees were SPIRITUAL ones and PHYSICAL ones, and not all physical as some may think, Adam and Eve could be likened as Little babies who have the seed of conscience in them from birth but should use it when they are matured, which was what God had in mind, but not what happened
Re: Why Did God Put The Tree Of Knowledge In The Garden Of Eden by Atheists: 1:18pm On Oct 26, 2009

No it isnt equivalent to keeping a 9mm pistol in a toddler’s crib.

The tenants were grown and capable of making decisions to comply with an expressed command or to wilfully flout it.

They were advised (i.e. warned) not to be irresponsible and were made to understand there will be consequences if the instruction was ignored.

How would Adam and Eve  be capable of knowing  right from wrong if they haven't eaten from the  tree of knowledge of right and wrong ? Why would god warn people who are incapable of knowing right and wrong about the consequences of certain actions ? If Adam and Eve were the first people on earth did they even know what death is in the first place ?

The  tree was in the garden in as much as the Tree of Life was there alongside it too.

It was there to test  faith, loyalty and belief in God and His word

An all knowing god who is always testing faith and loyalty of his subjects  has an insecurity disorder and needs psychological help ASAP. Whats the use of his omniscience if he is always testing the faith and loyalty for his subjects ?

What beats me is how can one choose a Tree of Doom (i.e. Death) over a Tree of Life

Ambition? Running before crawling?

Again did Adam and Eve know what death was ? This is the equivalent of trying to punish a toddler with jail time when they don't even know what is a crime and what are the consequences of going to jail.
Re: Why Did God Put The Tree Of Knowledge In The Garden Of Eden by Recognise: 1:45pm On Oct 26, 2009
Atheists:

. . .  Again did Adam and Eve know what death was?

This is the equivalent of trying to punish a toddler with jail time when they don't even know what is a crime and what are the consequences of going to jail.

"Adam and Eve didnt know what death was?" it is remarked

Beg to diifer. If they didnt, they would have asked,

Of course they didnt ask because they understood what death was

"This is the equivalent of trying to punish a toddler with jail time when they don't even know what is a crime" another remark

These werent toddlers but growns.

Toddlers dont give reasons for their actions, these chaps gave explanations for the actions about to be taken and tried to justify it

Not a case of trying to punish but rather the aftermath of a cause and effect.

They knew what they were doing, at least Adam if not Eve.
Re: Why Did God Put The Tree Of Knowledge In The Garden Of Eden by Atheists: 2:33pm On Oct 26, 2009
"Adam and Eve didnt know what death was?" it is remarked

"This is the equivalent of trying to punish a toddler with jail time when they don't even know what is a crime" another remark

These werent toddlers but growns.

Toddlers dont give reasons for their actions, these chaps gave explanations for the actions about to be taken and tried to justify it

Not a case of trying to punish but rather the aftermath of a cause and effect.

They knew what they were doing, at least Adam if not Eve.

How did they know that what they were doing was wrong when they had not yet lost their innocence i.e. they had not yet eaten the tree of knowledge of right and wrong.
Re: Why Did God Put The Tree Of Knowledge In The Garden Of Eden by Recognise: 3:18pm On Oct 26, 2009
Atheists:

How did they know that what they were doing was wrong when they had not yet lost their innocence

i.e. they had not yet eaten the tree of knowledge of right and wrong.

"How did they know that what they were doing was wrong . . . " you asked

Right or wrong isnt on trial here.

They were explicitly (i.e. clearly) instructed not to eat of the tree and informed that if they should they would surely die.

Instead of remaining dependent on GOD and trust His judgment (i.e. word) until when they come off age, they opted for independence

and decided to eat of the one and only tree they werent permitted to eat.

Oh dear!. Ignorance is no excuse for breaking the law even in secular societies
Re: Why Did God Put The Tree Of Knowledge In The Garden Of Eden by DeepSight(m): 3:41pm On Oct 26, 2009
Has it occurred to you that the Garden of Eden was not a physical place on this planet?
Re: Why Did God Put The Tree Of Knowledge In The Garden Of Eden by Recognise: 3:47pm On Oct 26, 2009
Deep Sight:

Has it occurred to you that the Garden of Eden was not a physical place on this planet?

. . . and who was this meant for?
Re: Why Did God Put The Tree Of Knowledge In The Garden Of Eden by DeepSight(m): 3:49pm On Oct 26, 2009
^^^ The Opener of the thread
Re: Why Did God Put The Tree Of Knowledge In The Garden Of Eden by Recognise: 3:55pm On Oct 26, 2009
Some things are kept hidden, for the same reasons matches are kept from children's sight and/or reach.
Re: Why Did God Put The Tree Of Knowledge In The Garden Of Eden by Maykelly(f): 4:18pm On Oct 26, 2009
Atheists:

Why was that tree in the garden of eden in the first place ? Isn't this the equivalent of keeping a 9mm pistol a toddlers crib ?

To Whom It May Concern

My Holy Bible has an ANSWER for everything question; stupid or wise

[size=14pt]For who has known the mind of the Lord? or who has been His counselor? Romans 11 V 34[/size]
Re: Why Did God Put The Tree Of Knowledge In The Garden Of Eden by Atheists: 5:03pm On Oct 26, 2009

Where is the garden of eden then ?
Re: Why Did God Put The Tree Of Knowledge In The Garden Of Eden by DeepSight(m): 6:36pm On Oct 26, 2009
^^^ It was in the Spiritual. Not in the world of matter at all.
Re: Why Did God Put The Tree Of Knowledge In The Garden Of Eden by KunleOshob(m): 6:59pm On Oct 26, 2009
Deep Sight:

I don't agree with this your repeated assertion in my opinion, i believe the true story of the garden of eden has been distorted through centuries of oral tradition. The bible made it clear it was a physical location on earth by describing it as a place where four rivers meet. Three of this rivers are still in existence today and are in present day iraq. I am also of the opinion that the eden story might not necessarily be that of creation alone but that of civilization. A time God revealed himself to mankind.
Re: Why Did God Put The Tree Of Knowledge In The Garden Of Eden by DeepSight(m): 7:22pm On Oct 26, 2009
^^^ Fair enough. . . but be warned that the mere fact that earthly rivers are mentioned does not mean it was on earth. This is because earthly landmarks such as mountains, rivers, etc often have spiritual counterparts, much in the same way as physical man has a spirit.
Re: Why Did God Put The Tree Of Knowledge In The Garden Of Eden by Recognise: 7:33pm On Oct 26, 2009
Deep Sight:

Recognise:

Some things are kept hidden, for the same reasons matches are kept from children's sight and/or reach.

Atheists:

Where is the garden of eden then ?

Deep Sight:

KunleOshob:

I don't agree with this your repeated assertion in my opinion,

I believe the true story of the garden of Eden has been distorted through centuries of oral tradition.

The bible made it clear it was a physical location on earth by describing it as a place where four rivers meet.

Three of this rivers are still in existence today and are in present day Iraq.

I am also of the opinion that the eden story might not necessarily be that of creation alone but that of civilization. A time God revealed himself to mankind.

Deep Sight:

^^^ Fair enough . . .

but be warned that the mere fact that earthly rivers are mentioned does not mean it was on earth.

This is because earthly landmarks such as mountains, rivers, etc often have spiritual counterparts, much in the same way as physical man has a spirit.

@^

The Bible has its own fair share of allegories and metaphors . . .
Re: Why Did God Put The Tree Of Knowledge In The Garden Of Eden by Recognise: 8:49pm On Oct 26, 2009
Atheists:

Do you have empirical evidence to show us that  the spiritual world actually exists?

Do you even have empirical evidence to show that humans have a spirit ?

@^

The absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence.
Re: Why Did God Put The Tree Of Knowledge In The Garden Of Eden by Atheists: 12:07am On Oct 27, 2009
@^

The absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence.

What a fallacious argument ! Always remember that the burden of proof is with the one making the positive claim !
Re: Why Did God Put The Tree Of Knowledge In The Garden Of Eden by Maykelly(f): 1:27pm On Oct 27, 2009
May kelly:

[size=14pt]For who has known the mind of the Lord? or who has been His counselor? Romans 11 V 34[/size]
Re: Why Did God Put The Tree Of Knowledge In The Garden Of Eden by ilosiwaju: 4:24pm On Oct 30, 2009
@poster
If there was actually a garden of eden, think of the pilgrimage-generated revenue israel will be enjoying(not that people aren't flocking to jerusalem oo). I mean, we will all want to see mankind's cradle.

even when we are sure life started before then.
Re: Why Did God Put The Tree Of Knowledge In The Garden Of Eden by agathamari(f): 5:42pm On Oct 30, 2009
Recognise:

do you know what a Quark is? no? then why didnt you ever ask anyone? maybe cause you didnt know it existed? same can be said about death to adam and eve
Re: Why Did God Put The Tree Of Knowledge In The Garden Of Eden by Recognise: 6:23pm On Oct 30, 2009
Recognise on October 26, 2009, 01:45 PM Post #6:

. . . Beg to differ. If they didn't, they would have asked,

Of course they didn't ask because they understood what death was . . .

Agathamari responding to Recognise Today at 05:42:05 PM:

Do you know what a Quark is?  No?  Then why dididn'tou ever ask anyone?  Maybe cause you didnt know it existed? 

Same can be said about death to Adam and Eve

@Agathamari

So you reckon Adam & Eve never knew death existed? How did you arrive and settle for that conclusion.

I will reiterate they both knew death existed because they were informed of it by God.

Adam was infomed of death directly by God whereas Eve was made aware of death by her husband Adam.

Eve's awareness is substantiated by the fact that she was so sure of death to the point of debating about it with the devil

Adam went for the overkill by exaggerating to Eve that ordinarily touching the tree's fruit would cause death

Genesis 3:2-3 Amplified Bible (AMP)

2And the woman said to the serpent, We may eat the fruit from the trees of the garden,

3Except the fruit from the tree which is in the middle of the garden.
    God has said, You shall not eat of it, neither shall you touch it, lest you die.

They were informed of death, and were aware of it,

They believed satan's word over God's . . .

Satan got the better of them.
Re: Why Did God Put The Tree Of Knowledge In The Garden Of Eden by Nobody: 6:25pm On Oct 30, 2009
because it was necessary for the garden
Re: Why Did God Put The Tree Of Knowledge In The Garden Of Eden by Obalende: 7:45pm On Oct 30, 2009
So that we could make rockets and laptops - that tree must have had so much knowledge - THANK GOD!!!
Re: Why Did God Put The Tree Of Knowledge In The Garden Of Eden by agathamari(f): 3:00am On Oct 31, 2009
Recognise:

@Agathamari
So you reckon Adam & Eve never knew death existed? How did you arrive and settle for that conclusion.
I will reiterate they both knew death existed because they were informed of it by God.
Adam was infomed of death directly by God whereas Eve was made aware of death by her husband Adam.
Eve's awareness is substantiated by the fact that she was so sure of death to the point of debating about it with the devil
Adam went for the overkill by exaggerating to Eve that ordinarily touching the tree's fruit would cause death
Genesis 3:2-3 Amplified Bible (AMP)
2And the woman said to the serpent, We may eat the fruit from the trees of the garden,
3Except the fruit from the tree which is in the middle of the garden.
God has said, You shall not eat of it, neither shall you touch it, lest you die.

They were informed of death, and were aware of it,
They believed satan's word over God's . . .
Satan got the better of them.
so because god said there was death they automaticaly understood? has you ever tried to explain death to someone who has never experienced it? (in modern times that would only be small children and people who have lived in exile thier whole lives) it is extremly difficult and they usualy dont get it until after someone has passed on and even then it can take weeks before they really get it.
Re: Why Did God Put The Tree Of Knowledge In The Garden Of Eden by Atheists: 3:24am On Oct 31, 2009
because it was necessary for the garden

Your god is an callous and capricious . He knew the consequences of putting the tree in the garden but did nothing about it.
Re: Why Did God Put The Tree Of Knowledge In The Garden Of Eden by Nobody: 3:25am On Oct 31, 2009
^^yeah, whatever.

I know you started the thread but maybe someone else should have.
Re: Why Did God Put The Tree Of Knowledge In The Garden Of Eden by Recognise: 5:34pm On Oct 31, 2009
Agathamari:

So because God said there was death they automaticaly understood? 

Have you ever tried to explain death to someone who has never experienced it? 
(in modern times that would only be small children and people who have lived in exile thier whole lives)

It is extremly difficult and they usualy dont get it until after someone has passed on and even then it can take weeks before they really get it.

@Agathamari

This is death concerning Adam and Eve and not about "explaining death to someone who has never experienced it"

Recall the question God asked Adam was "Had you eaten of the tree that I had commanded you not to eat"

Adam's reply was "The woman that thou gave to me, she gave it to me and I did eat"

Notice Adam's admission didnt go like "Yeah I did eat of the tree but hey I did not know what death is/was nor had I experiened it"

Unlike the "small children and people who had lived in exile their whole lives" in your submission

Adam and Eve were made grown with a fair substantial amount of knowledge

one might say they had a privilege headstart of information and knowledge (i.e ready made with knowlege of death etc)

When God said "If thou eat of the tree, thou shall surely die, Adam understood God and believed the statement

Adam understood the seriousness of not eating of the fruit of the tree

that in order to prevent them been put at risk of death,  in addition to stopping Eve getting any bright ideas in her head concerning the tree

he informed her that ordinarily touching the tree would make one die (i.e. literally dont even think about going near that tree)

Importantly recognise that eating of the Tree of Life is associated with perpetual existence

and eating of the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil is associated with or leads to death (i.e. separation of man from God)

All parties were OK with the deal without any questions arising

until moment the seed of doubt was sown and personal ambition subsequently got the better of them.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Dua For The Last 10 Days Of Ramadan / Do We Have Free Choice Or Is Everything Predetermined? / Religious Facts About Marijuana

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.