Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,825 members, 7,851,780 topics. Date: Thursday, 06 June 2024 at 07:58 AM

Should Elected Leader's Immediate Family Be Allowed To Live Outside Nigeria? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Should Elected Leader's Immediate Family Be Allowed To Live Outside Nigeria? (2868 Views)

100,000 Nigerians Live Outside Nigeria As Refugees — US / ‘enough Of Igbo Disruption In Lagos’ - Yorubas Outside Nigeria Speak / How Many Nigerians Live Outside Of Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should Elected Leader's Immediate Family Be Allowed To Live Outside Nigeria? by Afam(m): 6:55pm On Jan 03, 2007
Big B1:

Unbelievable and Amazing.

It is sad that we can't discuss and share ideas like brothers without getting personal.

@ AFAM and @ McKren respectively, that was uncalled- for.

I'm not related to IBB, it's not even close and I don't work for him; but he has my 100% support because at this point in Nigeria, he's the only one that can bring changes effectively, efficiently and unitedly.

Is that a crime?

See, if you want us to discuss as brothers then you must demonstrate a certain level of objectivity.

It seems strange that on one hand you clamour for a better Nigeria and on the other you either dismiss or ignore any valid comments against IBB when infact you should defend them if you believe the accusations are out of place.

The way you react when IBB is mention versus people like OBJ leave s one thinking that your motive is far from objective.

This is an open forum and no one gains anything by quarelling with anyone but we should try to be fair in our discussions and at all times if possible.

Nothing personal, I will rather say my mind than pretend about what I think.

Take care.
Re: Should Elected Leader's Immediate Family Be Allowed To Live Outside Nigeria? by BigB11(m): 6:59pm On Jan 03, 2007
@ OLadi

Excellent state of mind.
It feels so good to know that at least one person is alive around here.

Count me in.
Re: Should Elected Leader's Immediate Family Be Allowed To Live Outside Nigeria? by Afam(m): 7:02pm On Jan 03, 2007
OLadi:

@ AFAM

IBB did it back then, now imagine all LG chairmen, Governors, Senators, Legislators, doing it. only if you guys will see the state Nigeria is, not even to talk security wise, or healthcare or the sorry states of the schools. we don't have anything to lose with this. For once lets all work together and make something work

@Oladi,

I live and work in Nigeria, I feel the pain the average man feels in Nigeria.

I believe forcing people to change their life styles isn't right because it will ultimately mean that some Nigerians (read the children) will be deprived of their freedom of choice as regards schooling or working especially if their parents can afford the bills.

What we need is a system that checks and balances what elected or selected officials do while in office.

Many people criticize Nzeribe today but so far he remains the only senator that had suggested the best way to rid Nigeria of corruption as far back as the 1999- 2003 administration.

His suggestion? Ask any Nigerian the source of his wealth for example Mr A has a mansion, all that he needs to explain is how he came about the money to build the mansion, Mr B buys a private jet, he should tell us where the money came from, simple and practical ways of fighting this monster called corruption.
Re: Should Elected Leader's Immediate Family Be Allowed To Live Outside Nigeria? by BigB11(m): 7:18pm On Jan 03, 2007
@AFAM:
First, the purpose of this topic is not to solve corruption problem in Nigeria; The purpose of this topic is finding a better way to empower the standard of living in Nigeria.
By enforcing the leaders and their families to live in Nigeria and utilize our resources will indirectly bring major improvement.

Second, do you really believe that you and Mr Nzeribe's proposal will solve corruption in Nigeria?
Quote by AFAM:
His suggestion? Ask any Nigerian the source of his wealth for example Mr A has a mansion, all that he needs to explain is how he came about the money to build the mansion, Mr B buys a private jet, he should tell us where the money came from, simple and practical ways of fighting this monster called corruption.

Go and study more; believe me, this will never solve anything. Big boys already figured out a way to beat this strategy.

Finally, stay focused and no need to get personal.
Re: Should Elected Leader's Immediate Family Be Allowed To Live Outside Nigeria? by Mamajama(m): 7:49pm On Jan 03, 2007
I don't care what any one says. if you've worked hard for your money and you are doing good in private sector, you should be able to enjoy the fruit of your labor. But as a public official that becomes rich over night that is another story. people like IBB, ADENUGA and co family should stay in Ajegunle and see what ordinary Nigerians are going through. What we have in Nigeria is a situation where the rich and powerful people do not care about regular 9-5 hard working people. corruption, poverty and lawlessness is every day life. But there is hope
Re: Should Elected Leader's Immediate Family Be Allowed To Live Outside Nigeria? by BigB11(m): 8:08pm On Jan 03, 2007
@MAMAJAMA

Why do people love to twist and change topic from blue to purple?

What does this topic have to do with Adenuga?

Is Adenuga a government official or elected leader? No.

MAMAJAMA, no disrespect, but let's stay focused on one topic.
Re: Should Elected Leader's Immediate Family Be Allowed To Live Outside Nigeria? by OLadi(m): 8:10pm On Jan 03, 2007
@ Mamajama

If you work in the private sector, stay there keep making your money, we encourage that, but if you want to be in the public sector you have to be ready for what it takes.

IBB, Adenuga, their day is still coming, unfortunately it seems like IBB might be after the good of the country, but with his history noone is ready to take the chance, and also enough of old military guys
Re: Should Elected Leader's Immediate Family Be Allowed To Live Outside Nigeria? by OLadi(m): 8:13pm On Jan 03, 2007
Big B1
to include the clause in the condition of office will take effort, i can see people fighting against it. but i believe its worth a try
Re: Should Elected Leader's Immediate Family Be Allowed To Live Outside Nigeria? by BigB11(m): 8:32pm On Jan 03, 2007
@MAMAJAMA

By any chance, are you related to ODEKU?
Re: Should Elected Leader's Immediate Family Be Allowed To Live Outside Nigeria? by Afam(m): 9:08pm On Jan 03, 2007
Big B1:

@AFAM:
First, the purpose of this topic is not to solve corruption problem in Nigeria; The purpose of this topic is finding a better way to empower the standard of living in Nigeria.
By enforcing the leaders and their families to live in Nigeria and utilize our resources will indirectly bring major improvement.

You are being evasive here and it does not make any sense, the bottomline remains the issue of corruption unless you are discussing another thread entirely.

Big B1:

Second, do you really believe that you and Mr Nzeribe's proposal will solve corruption in Nigeria?
Quote by AFAM:
Go and study more; believe me, this will never solve anything. Big boys already figured out a way to beat this strategy.

I believe Nzeribe's proposal would have a lot of corrupt officials like IBB stripped of any ill gotten wealth in no time and he would not be living in a mansion on the hilltop unless he shows Nigeria how his salary and all entitlements could have built it for him.

Go and study more? Thanks, no need for that, I do not believe in the idea of making simple tasks complex.

Big B1:

Finally, stay focused and no need to get personal.

I am focused, I am worried that any comments that have anything to do with IBB or any of his fronts like Adenuga gets you really worked up and yet you claim you do not have anything to do with him.

I do not need to get personal as there are a lot of information in the public domain that anyone can lay his/her hands on to know that IBB was corrupt and hugely responsible for institutionalising corruption in Nigeria.

That you can campaign for a better Nigeria and yet not see any single wrong doing by IBB is the strangest position I have seen a Nigerian take for over 10 years.
Re: Should Elected Leader's Immediate Family Be Allowed To Live Outside Nigeria? by McKren(m): 9:37pm On Jan 03, 2007
Afam I support most of what you say on this blog but this latest talk about Nzeribe makes nonsense of all of them. It will do my heart a great pleasure if you could please retract your statement. Because I enjoy your views a lot.

Nzeribe, Ubas, Chukwumerije, Orji can only be remembered in Igbo hall of shame. People are celebrating the fact that Nzeribe has lost his Senatorial seat.
Re: Should Elected Leader's Immediate Family Be Allowed To Live Outside Nigeria? by OLadi(m): 10:07pm On Jan 03, 2007
lol, i remember a one time Minister of Education having his kids schooling abroad, what incentive does he have to make sure the school systems are working intact.

@ Big B1
we might need to write editors of newspapers and see if they can publish an article concerning this, if this is passed we might start seeing people withdrawing from the race.

You know any other method to make this reach the National Assembly floor and considering it will affect them also

but i believe its our future this people are playing with, maybe a rally
Re: Should Elected Leader's Immediate Family Be Allowed To Live Outside Nigeria? by McKren(m): 10:23pm On Jan 03, 2007
You know any other method to make this reach the National Assembly floor?

I know four friends whose dads are senators studying in Britain do you think they will support your idea? the best bet for you is the media.
Re: Should Elected Leader's Immediate Family Be Allowed To Live Outside Nigeria? by Mamajama(m): 10:27pm On Jan 03, 2007
Maybe. in other words are you guys saying rich people should not contest for public office?
It will be nice to have their immediate family in Nigeria but i still think if you have money and have a justifiable income, you should be able to send your family any where you so choose.
Re: Should Elected Leader's Immediate Family Be Allowed To Live Outside Nigeria? by OLadi(m): 10:38pm On Jan 03, 2007
I agree with you Mckren the media might be the only means, considering it will affect the lower and upper house. Or unless we can get EFCC to twist their arm

@mamajamma
what we are proposing is temporary, it should come with a condition say till we get off the top 50 most corrupt countries list, and should serve as a check for us that each time we fall back in that category it becomes effective again.
Re: Should Elected Leader's Immediate Family Be Allowed To Live Outside Nigeria? by Mamajama(m): 10:59pm On Jan 03, 2007
Please all public officials and agencies are corrupt to the bone in Nigeria, we have custom officers turning the left cheeks while petrol tankers are going to Kutonu, and we have traders that will inflate price over night, what we need is checks and balances and a good leader, not a military vagabonds
Re: Should Elected Leader's Immediate Family Be Allowed To Live Outside Nigeria? by lewa(m): 11:25pm On Jan 04, 2007
Interesting!
For me public officials must send their kids to public /state funded schools, visit public general hospitals/clinics!Not until they do so can we move forward!Do you know how many Ministers of Education sent their kids away to study when they were in office. Right now almost all public office holders have kids abroad studying with the public till providing the funds. When they fall ill they are flown to SA, Germany or the UK with government funds,whereas the populace have to resort to derelict and decrepit underfunded, understaffed archaic antediluvian hospitals for care!Imagine. Aren't they public officials what sets them apart?Until this can be righted the polity is obviously going to continue on its downward spiral!It's rather sad that this happens and for it to be rigorously defended beggars belief!
Re: Should Elected Leader's Immediate Family Be Allowed To Live Outside Nigeria? by Afam(m): 8:40am On Jan 05, 2007
McKren:

Afam I support most of what you say on this blog but this latest talk about Nzeribe makes nonsense of all of them. It will do my heart a great pleasure if you could please retract your statement. Because I enjoy your views a lot.

Nzeribe, Ubas, Chukwumerije, Orji can only be remembered in Igbo hall of shame. People are celebrating the fact that Nzeribe has lost his Senatorial seat.

I do not believe in blanket condemnation or commendation of anyone regardless of the person involved.

Nzeribe drew up a list and circulated same to other senators and suggested this simple and yet effective method be used to catch corrupt officials, what he did matters to me not who he is.

Same way Chukwumerije presented one of the most compelling cases against the 3rd term on the floor of the senate.

We must tackle issues raised and leave the personalities involved otherwise we may lose out as regards suggestions or recommendations simply because certain people are not liked for any reasons whatsoever.

This is similar to the problem we have today as regards ethnicity where certain good recommendations are thrown to the trash can simply because the people making such recommendations come from a particular part of the country, this is bad and it does no one any good.

Meanwhile, thanks for enjoying my views, it is the same level of openness and objectivity that I have brought to bear on the Nzeribe issue.

Take care.
Re: Should Elected Leader's Immediate Family Be Allowed To Live Outside Nigeria? by McKren(m): 12:54pm On Jan 05, 2007
The point is that some Nigerian politicians are not worth listening to, the same Nzeribe who called for OBJ's impeachment at one time supported third term for OBJ to continue in power.
The same Chukwumerije who as Information minister in IBB's regime preached for support for IBB and destroyed the clamour for return to democratic rule is now one of the so called renowned democrats.
My brother what does that tell you? they should not be taken seriously because they only talk about what favours them at the time.
Re: Should Elected Leader's Immediate Family Be Allowed To Live Outside Nigeria? by BigB11(m): 2:33pm On Jan 05, 2007
Look guys, this topic is simple and straight forward; there is absolutely no reason to make it bigger than what it is.

I truly do not see any reason why anyone will want to object a pure bright idea like this one.

It is so sad that it feels like pulling a tooth to apply a constitution that will eventually benefit all, just because folks are purely greedy to their bones.

Greediness in Nigeria is a disease that needs a very very strong medication to cure.
Re: Should Elected Leader's Immediate Family Be Allowed To Live Outside Nigeria? by BigB11(m): 2:45pm On Jan 05, 2007
I hope the dedicated serious politicians are reading.

My man, Oladi, I can assure you that this idea will be implemented very soon.
Re: Should Elected Leader's Immediate Family Be Allowed To Live Outside Nigeria? by Afam(m): 3:49pm On Jan 05, 2007
@Mckren,

Exactly my point, we must learn to separate the issues from the personalities.

Agreeing with a sound recommendation from a "bad" person is not the same as supporting the person.

@Big B1,

Honestly, you are boxing yourself in unnecessarily. Why do you push for a 'positive change' with so much passion on one hand and avoid or dismiss any comment that does not support IBB or even Adenuga completely?

It calls into question what your real motives are. It puts you in a situation where you cannot comfortably contribute to issues without one asking what is he up to this time?

While you believe the recommendation will do wonders, I have asked two questions that require answers[b] - Did IBB and even Abacha not do the same thing? Can these men be absolved of corruption based on their decisions to implement what you are advocating for today?[/b]
Re: Should Elected Leader's Immediate Family Be Allowed To Live Outside Nigeria? by Mamajama(m): 4:35pm On Jan 05, 2007
Afam Good point, Oya BIGB1 we are waiting for your response on the question.

Can someone name one public elected official that has not a beneficiary of shady deals, contracts award in Nigeria?
Re: Should Elected Leader's Immediate Family Be Allowed To Live Outside Nigeria? by BigB11(m): 6:09pm On Jan 05, 2007
@ AFAM, @ MAMAJAMA and @ ALL:

My reason and my side

Please do not get it twisted folks, my support for IBB remains incompressible.

The man is smart, well respected by many, has incredible style, he's focused, has the capability to chain things down effectively and efficiently in Nigeria, has the stamina to put stop into corruption among all government officials and mercifully craves for a successful system in Nigeria.

Believe me, he recognizes his mistakes and he also deserves to be given a chance to redeem himself.

Believe me, currently things are very very fragile in Nigeria and if we are not careful, Nigeria will be turned into Iraq or Somali very soon; and guess who will suffer?

We must look forward to move forward; it's time to let go the past and allow the most competent and respected individual to rectify things in Nigeria.

Adenuga on the other hand is a wonderful man, a serious business man that is totally determined to develop his father's land by sharing and giving incredible opportunities to common Nigerians.

The Green Eagles of Nigeria are currently more attractive just because of this man.

Telecommunication industries continue to improve vigorously in Nigeria today because of this man.

Employment opportunities in Nigeria today have become a dream come true again because of this man.

As we all know, no one is perfect, especially operating in Nigeria, but we must be-careful, fair, bright and appreciate folks who are willing and dedicated in investing heavily in Nigeria.
By the way, Adenuga could have relocated to other attractive and more developed countries; and invest his money in more attractive/ stable economy with-out any problem. Believe me, he has several options, but he has selected to be involved in moving his country forward. Hence do not get it twisted, Adenuga doesn't need Nigeria, we need him.

You can go ahead and criticize me if you want, it is very easy for you to hide in another country and speak fire, but you do not know what I know.
These folks are nothing but major assets to our lovely country and it is time for all of us to recognize this fact and embrace it before it's too late.

Yaradua, Jonathan, Buhari, Atiku, Kalu and even OBJ are alright, but at this point in time in Nigeria they can not and will not move our country forward effectively, efficiently and unitedly.
It is very important to understand what these 3 terms (effectively, efficiently and unitedly) stand for, I use them a-lot. It takes a genius to know and understand what is needed to accomplished all 3 points.
It is clear that we need all 3 in Nigeria and believe me, most current leaders in Nigeria can not achieve all 3 points, but I can assure you that IBB will knock out all 3 within the first 8 months in power.

Regardless of who happens to be the next Nigerian president (If it's not IBB), IBB will never be touched negatively by this individual or anyone and he will be involved heavily in contributing toward making Nigeria the Giant of Africa once again.

May God bless Nigeria.
Re: Should Elected Leader's Immediate Family Be Allowed To Live Outside Nigeria? by Afam(m): 6:26pm On Jan 05, 2007
For your information I live and work in Nigeria so you are on your own as regards your comment on hiding in foreign lands.

As for your response proper, it failed to address, let alone answer any of the 2 questions asked, maybe it is an oversight or a mistake.

It seems you know everything about IBB and his being sorry for his past mistakes but the onus lies with IBB himself to tell Nigerians that (even though he squandered a good opportunity at the Oputa Panel) and not you.

So, answer the 2 questions so we can move ahead and let us leave the campaign style responses as these won't sell.

A better approach would be to face the issues, make amends and move on but if you imagine that Nigerians would be hoodwinked into forgetting everything that happened in the past without any apologies by the man responsible for so many sufferings then you better think again.

Money is not everything and I believe you ought to know this by now.
Re: Should Elected Leader's Immediate Family Be Allowed To Live Outside Nigeria? by BigB11(m): 7:01pm On Jan 05, 2007
@AFAM

Trust me, I've answered all your questions.

Two or three words are just enough for a smart man to get the message.

And my man, what does money got to do with my comment?

I do not get it.
Re: Should Elected Leader's Immediate Family Be Allowed To Live Outside Nigeria? by Mamajama(m): 7:13pm On Jan 05, 2007
Big B1:

@ AFAM, @ MAMAJAMA and @ ALL:

My reason and my side

Please do not get it twisted folks, my support for IBB remains incompressible.

The man is smart, well respected by many, has incredible style, he's focused, has the capability to chain things down effectively and efficiently in Nigeria, has the stamina to put stop into corruption among all government officials and mercifully craves for a successful system in Nigeria.

In what nation is the toothless general IBB respected, are you in disillusion BIGB1? THis man can't even step a foot on USA Soil for fear of prosecution.
this same maradona said he drop out of the presidential race because of his relationship and friendship with Yar Adua?

and In contradiction he killed his best man Vertsa, and Betrayed his friend Abiola. can't you see we Nigerians of today are more educated and equipped with informations

INFORMATION = KNOWLEDGE
All his atrocities are on the web for anyone that cares to read and decide for themself, so BIGB1 STOP looking like a fool preaching this IBB slogan, its old NEWS, HE will never get to ASO ROCK.

Now lets get back to the topic at hand.
Re: Should Elected Leader's Immediate Family Be Allowed To Live Outside Nigeria? by BigB11(m): 7:17pm On Jan 05, 2007
ODEKU, simmer down.

It's my reason and my side, you don't have to see it the same way as I do.
Re: Should Elected Leader's Immediate Family Be Allowed To Live Outside Nigeria? by BigB11(m): 7:19pm On Jan 05, 2007
People FYI: MAMAJAMA is also known as ODEKU.

ODEKU, believe me, you can't hide; I know what you smell like.

One love.
Re: Should Elected Leader's Immediate Family Be Allowed To Live Outside Nigeria? by OLadi(m): 7:52pm On Jan 05, 2007
People i think we should be finding ways to make this idea possible, if we are hoping for a better Country, its not the ultimate solution, but its a step

Lets think about a way to get this going
Re: Should Elected Leader's Immediate Family Be Allowed To Live Outside Nigeria? by OLadi(m): 8:01pm On Jan 05, 2007
Its time we starting thinking outside the box and create a check and balance system for our leaders,

@Big B1 and ever1
We can make it happen
Re: Should Elected Leader's Immediate Family Be Allowed To Live Outside Nigeria? by Mamajama(m): 8:26pm On Jan 05, 2007
I am not hidding ask you senseless and dictatorial admin how much IBB camp paid him to ban me? and for your ifo, there is a website in development that will compete with the nairaland, be on the look out
I was in Nigeria making sure the tootles general never come close to Aso Rock

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Nigerian, Miss Mma Okafor, 19, At Northern Illinois University, Wins Internship / 8,000 Security Personnel Mobilised In Sokoto For Saturday’s Guber Elections / Nairaland Mentioned In The Punch Newspapers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.