Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,185 members, 7,818,595 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:29 PM

Yoruba Community Alleges Marginalisation In Enugu - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Yoruba Community Alleges Marginalisation In Enugu (29633 Views)

Igbo Marginalisation is a Big lie and just a Propaganda. / Yoruba, Hausa In Enugu Decry Marginalisation / Yoruba Community Alleges Marginalisation In Enugu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (19) (Reply) (Go Down)

Yoruba Community Alleges Marginalisation In Enugu by yommyuk: 12:34am On Oct 27, 2009
I am led to believe that as a Citizen of Nigeria, technically I can reside in any State of My choice with equal rights and access to all
the amenties I may require. If these needs are denied, how will I feel.

What are ur views.
Re: Yoruba Community Alleges Marginalisation In Enugu by MrCrackles(m): 12:35am On Oct 27, 2009
yommyuk:

I am led to believe that as a Citizen of Nigeria, technically I can reside in any State of My choice with equal rights and access to all

What are your views.
Absolutely. . . . .
Re: Yoruba Community Alleges Marginalisation In Enugu by Eziachi: 1:12am On Oct 27, 2009
yommyuk:

What are your views.

You made a very bold titled statement without telling any tales to back your headline. Who was marginalised? Over what? and by who? It's too late now for your explaination because you will just make up a story now.
Wisdom is an asset, which you haven't see to got at all.

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Community Alleges Marginalisation In Enugu by yommyuk: 1:52am On Oct 27, 2009
Wisdom is an asset, which you haven't see to got at all.

I will ignore the above statement which is a typical response from people who are bad mannered.
Just stumbled on the headline on www.nigeriaworld.com - check link below

http://odili.net/news/source/2009/oct/26/410.html
Re: Yoruba Community Alleges Marginalisation In Enugu by AloyEmeka6: 3:05am On Oct 27, 2009
Yoruba community alleges marginalisation in Enugu
By Emmanuel Nzomiwu, Reporter, Enugu

Yoruba community in Enugu State has cried out over what it described as total neglect and marginalisation by the present Enugu State government led by Sullivan Chime.

The aggrieved members of Yoruba community, who made their feelings public through their leader, Mr. Ade Johnson Adeyelu, regretted that the group which was formed in 1990 and registered under then Anambra State Government had never before now experienced marginalisation in the state.

Adeyelu said that his people voted for state government during the last general election and wondered why Chime’s government has since inception not cared for their welfare.

His words: “We have passed through series of military governors and military administrators down the line to the civilian governo[/b]rs.

[b]“Over these years, we have enjoyed some sort of patronage from the government, patronage in the sense that some Yorubas then were given the opportunity to be members of the Muslim Welfare Board. As a result of that they were given one or two slots to participate in Hajj Operations in Medina. From that 1990, down to when Chimaroke became governor, we still enjoyed the slots that were given to the Yoruba community in Enugu.

“There is no doubt we are facing a lot of problems in this state. We have not benefited anything from the present administration in Enugu State. We as a community we have participated in almost all the activities of the state. The last straw that broke the camel’s back was the present Hajj operation, which we recommended people to participate. But up till now, there is no single Yoruba man that belongs to the Yoruba community that was given any slot to participate in the Hajj operation.”

Adeyelu recalled that since governor Chime came on board, he had written about five letters seeking for audience with him, to let his government know the problems of the Yoruba community but unfortunately none of the letters was replied.

He also expressed disappointment that Chime does not care and had not asked leaders of non-indigenes in his state the problems their various groups are facing in the state, just as he regretted that the immediate past administration cancelled the allocation of land given to the Yoruba community to build its secretariat by the former military governor of the state, Navy Captain Mike Agbaje.

The secretariat, he said, would have served as a centre where the Yoruba cultural heritage would have been sold to the people, adding that all the promises of re-allocation of another land to the community made by the past administration, did not yield fruitful dividend until its tenure expired in 2007.

Besides, Adeyelu advised all members of the Yoruba community in the state to remain calm, law abiding and loyal not only to their host state but to the Federal Government as there is still hope for a better tomorrow for them.

http://odili.net/news/source/2009/oct/26/410.html
Re: Yoruba Community Alleges Marginalisation In Enugu by AloyEmeka6: 3:06am On Oct 27, 2009
Nigerian states really should stop using government money for religious purposes. Nonsense.
Re: Yoruba Community Alleges Marginalisation In Enugu by Nobody: 3:07am On Oct 27, 2009
i hope they havent forgotten where their home villages are?

and are they Yorubas or Igbo?

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Community Alleges Marginalisation In Enugu by sjeezy8: 3:11am On Oct 27, 2009
they should forgett^^^^
Re: Yoruba Community Alleges Marginalisation In Enugu by AloyEmeka6: 3:12am On Oct 27, 2009
tpia.:

and are they Yorubas or Igbo?

Why should they forget their home villages? I mean, what made you make this comment in the first place? 

And, why should they be igbo?. The guys name is in the article; he mentioned that Yorubas are the ones marginalized yet you are asking whether they are igbo?.  How many igbos are muslim?.  Are you igbo frenzy?. Why should govt use state money to finance religious functions when their are other things to do. These people now believes its their right. This sort of nonsense is prevalent in the north and its sickening.

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Community Alleges Marginalisation In Enugu by Nchara: 3:30am On Oct 27, 2009
Aloy~Emeka:

This sort of nonsense is prevalent in the north and its sickening.

Actually, the once respectable Yoruba race have gradually graduated into beggars as a culture. Na so so babi anla, almajiri na him dey dey produce these days. They should not come here to beg; Igbos in Lagos work hard and do not beg for free things. If they do not have money for land, they should get some from their brother Bode George. He still has billions of our money.

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Community Alleges Marginalisation In Enugu by yommyuk: 3:51am On Oct 27, 2009
If they do not have money for land, they should get some from their brother Bode George. He still has billions of our money

Why should govt use state money to finance religious functions when their are other things to do

The main reason I posted this topic on NL is because a few days ago I was asking some friends of mine about which tribe that is more accomodating in Nigeria and We all agreed the Yoruba, then the Hausa. We also ageed that the Ibos are the least hospitable.

Why? Personally, I still haven't come accross any Yoruba who resides in the east part of the country except PH which is mostly work related.
So when I came across this article on www.nigeriaworld.com, it immediately arouse my initial suspicions.

So I thought lets me hear some opinions from my fellow NL crew. and what do I get. THE ABOVE STATEMENTS

Just goes to confirm my already confirmed opinion of the IBOs "They are just a selfish Lot".
All the replies are from the IBOs sad

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Community Alleges Marginalisation In Enugu by sjeezy8: 4:00am On Oct 27, 2009
Its all cool though when free education was in the West only, yorubas welcomed EVERYONE.
Re: Yoruba Community Alleges Marginalisation In Enugu by Nchara: 4:02am On Oct 27, 2009
yommyuk:

If they do not have money for land, they should get some from their brother Bode George. He still has billions of our money

Why should govt use state money to finance religious functions when their are other things to do

The main reason I posted this topic on NL is because a few days ago I was asking some friends of mine about which tribe that is more accomodating in Nigeria and We all agreed the Yoruba, then the Hausa. We also ageed that the Ibos are the least hospitable.

Why? Personally, I still haven't come accross any Yoruba who resides in the east part of the country except PH which is mostly work related.
So when I came across this article on www.nigeriaworld.com, it immediately arouse my initial suspicions.

So I thought lets me hear some opinions from my fellow NL crew. and what do I get. THE ABOVE STATEMENTS

Just goes to confirm my already confirmed opinion of the IBOs "They are just a selfish Lot".
All the replies are from the IBOs sad

You are an ignoramus? There are hundreds of thousands of Yoruba in Onitsha, Umuahia, Enugu, Aba and other Igbo cities. They are doing their businesses unharassed. They should not look for free land which is not given to Igbos in Lagos. Igbos are being killed in Lagos and the north. Their shops are been looted by area boys and alayes OPC men. Fasola is demolishing Igbo shops every day. These things do not happen to Yoruba in Aba and Onitsha and other Igbo cities.

As for the Former Gov Agbaje man who gave his Yoruba people  free land , he should be charged to court. Yoruba are always looking for free things to steal. They never want to work hard like others and pay their bills Useless people.
Re: Yoruba Community Alleges Marginalisation In Enugu by sjeezy8: 4:05am On Oct 27, 2009
^^^ as long as our di/cks work its cool come to Lagos just bring your daughters ohhhhh
Re: Yoruba Community Alleges Marginalisation In Enugu by Nchara: 4:07am On Oct 27, 2009
This is for YommyUK,

Yoruba community in Anambra State condemns kidnap of 21 Igbo traders
By Okey Maduforo, Correspondent, Awka

Yoruba community in Anambra State, under the umbrella of Egbe Omo Oduduwa has condemned the alleged kidnap of 21 Igbo traders in Owo, Ondo State, warning that it is a threat on the unity and peaceful coexistence of Nigeria as a nation.

The traders were allegedly kidnapped last Friday by three militant groups known as Palace Boys, Eyin Ogbe Boys and Iloro Youths, who demanded millions of naira as ransom before they would be released.

The militants had last year kidnapped 16 Igbo traders before the latest incident which led to a petition to the state Commissioner of Police Mr. Charles Dawodu, by Ndigbo in the community.

Speaking with Daily Independent in Awka, Anambra State, the chairman of **Egbe Omo Oduduwa** in the area Baba Tunde Adegbenjo, said the incident sends danger signals, adding that there is no state in the country that do not have militants.

"We want to condemn the action and attitude of these militants. We have militants all over the federation and they should consider the fact that if they continue with this other people will revenge and when they do, it becomes crisis everywhere.

"So we are not happy with the attitude of our people back home who gather themselves together and call themselves militants.

"The relation of any of those victims would look for people around to kidnap and those of us outside the Yoruba land or non-indigenes generally would become victims. If this type of thing continues we will have no option but to point to the residence of part of Yoruba land where these activities are taking place.

"The place where it happened is Owo community, so instead of allowing them to go and revenge on Ogwoko man or Akure or Ondo town, we will now point to the residence of the Owo people among us; so that they will go and pick them. This is because things like this spread like wild fire and we will not allow that to happen."

Adegbenjo further noted that security is very important in business interaction and such a thing can affect business between visitors and owners of the land.

"If an Igboman do not feel safe to do business in Yoruba land they will not go there and those of us in Igbo land will not be comfortable and these are the type of incident we experienced some time ago, when the Hausa people had problems with the Igbos and many lives were lost.

"We do not want this type of thing and this is how it starts. So we have to tell our people to stop all these nonsense they are doing. It will not discourage economic development and sound interpersonal relationship in the country."

He urged the Ondo State government to take action quickly to protect the interest of the Igbo in the area as Yoruba and other ethnic groups are being protected in the South East zone; adding that the people at the zone and their respective governments have been friendly and displayed the spirit of brotherhood among visitors and settlers in Igbo land.
Re: Yoruba Community Alleges Marginalisation In Enugu by Nchara: 4:09am On Oct 27, 2009
As shown by the article above, there are hundreds of thousands of Yoruba in Igboland, just like there are Igbos in Yorubaland. The difference is that while one group works hard and pay their bills, the other looks for free hajj and free land.

2 Likes

Re: Yoruba Community Alleges Marginalisation In Enugu by sjeezy8: 4:10am On Oct 27, 2009
^^^ guy stop yabbing we need igbos in yorubalnd for them to bare extra babes for yoruba guys.
Re: Yoruba Community Alleges Marginalisation In Enugu by Nobody: 4:14am On Oct 27, 2009
Nchara:

As shown by the article above, there are hundreds of thousands of Yoruba in Igboland, just like there are Igbos in Yorubaland. The difference is that while one group works hard and pay their bills, the other looks for free hajj and free land.

can you plz pinpoint the exact phrase saying there are hundreds of thousands of Yorubas in Igboland.

I need new contact lens, because I just dont see it.
Re: Yoruba Community Alleges Marginalisation In Enugu by AloyEmeka6: 4:16am On Oct 27, 2009
yommyuk:

All the replies are from the IBOs  sad

You Nigerians really should get out of this tribal mentality. What does welcoming people mean?.  Do Yorubas line up along Lagos Ibadan exp way to welcome people from other parts of the country into their fold or what?.  Many Yorubas reside in London, did the British line up at the airport to welcome them?. It's this mob mentality that brews tribal butchery in the North every 6 months. Wake up, nobody welcomes anybody anywhere. All you need to do is to move there and look for possible opportunities for you to survive.

If its govt job, then you can lay out your case but I really don't see why I should worry  about Ghanaians welcoming me if I decide to move to Accra tomorrow. Everybody in Nigeria cries marginalization, Igbos cry marginalization; Yorubas cry marginalization; hausa cries marginalization and even within the ethnic groups, they also cry marginalization. Wasn't there a thread some weeks ago about aworis crying marginalization in Ogun state. Will you now claim that Egbas do not welcome people because a group of citizens with an agenda are crying wolf?.

Mr Agbaje is like any average Nigerian politician looking for attention and I bet you, if he gets the Hajj slots from the govt, he will choose himself and another tight friend of his' or even sell the second spot. He also wants a free land so there will be opportunity for him to tax hard working Yorubas and other well wishers for the project. In the end, it may take 40 years to finish the project even though the money contributed for it every year is enough to complete it in 5 years.
Re: Yoruba Community Alleges Marginalisation In Enugu by Nchara: 4:19am On Oct 27, 2009
People have failed to read the article with some understanding. In that article, the Yoruba people in Enugu did acknowledge that Enugu has been treating them well until the current Gov came in. Perhaps the Gov's land was taken away by Yoruba people and now he is revenging.
Re: Yoruba Community Alleges Marginalisation In Enugu by AloyEmeka6: 4:19am On Oct 27, 2009
Nchara:

Actually, the once respectable Yoruba race have gradually graduated into beggars as a culture. Na so so babi anla, almajiri na him dey dey produce these days. They should not come here to beg; Igbos in Lagos work hard and do not beg for free things. If they do not have money for land, they should get some from their brother Bode George. He still has billions of our money.

Don't they have almajiris in igboland. Because they are not plenty or known as almajiris doesn't mean they are not there. Many Yorubas work hard for a living, the increase in number of alayes among the Yoruba lately  probably came from polygamy. Nothing good comes from polygamy.
Re: Yoruba Community Alleges Marginalisation In Enugu by sjeezy8: 4:20am On Oct 27, 2009
[size=15pt]ONLY LOSERS CRY MARGINALIZATION NO MATTER  THE TRIBE.

NOW BACK TO WHAT I WAS SAYING, WE YORUBA GUYS NEED EXTRA BABES IN THE WEST, SO PLEASE ALL IGBOS WHEN YOU COME BRING YOUR FEMALE KIN ASWELL.
[/size]
Re: Yoruba Community Alleges Marginalisation In Enugu by Nchara: 4:22am On Oct 27, 2009
Tpia,

All Igbo states have Yoruba residents and their number amounts to hundreds of thousands. If you do not like it, please go and join another of your brother Bode George in prison. Your arse will serve him well there.
Re: Yoruba Community Alleges Marginalisation In Enugu by Nobody: 4:23am On Oct 27, 2009
Nchara:

Tpia,

All Igbo states have Yoruba residents and their number amounts to hundreds of thousands. If you do not like it, please go and join another of your brother Bode George in prison. Your arse will serve him well there.

you have a vivid imagination my brother.

You should write fantasy.
Re: Yoruba Community Alleges Marginalisation In Enugu by Nchara: 4:25am On Oct 27, 2009
This is the article. Please read and know the truth

Yoruba Community Alleges Marginalisation In Enugu
By Emmanuel Nzomiwu,Reporter, Enugu

Yoruba community in Enugu State has cried out over what it described as total neglect and marginalisation by the present Enugu State government led by Sullivan Chime.
The aggrieved members of Yoruba community, who made their feelings public through their leader, Mr. Ade Johnson Adeyelu, regretted that the group which was formed in 1990 and registered under then Anambra State Government had never before now experienced marginalisation in the state.
Adeyelu said that his people voted for state government during the last general election and wondered why Chime’s government has since inception not cared for their welfare.
His words: “We have passed through series of military governors and military administrators down the line to the civilian governors.
“Over these years, we have enjoyed some sort of patronage from the government, patronage in the sense that some Yorubas then were given the opportunity to be members of the Muslim Welfare Board. As a result of that they were given one or two slots to participate in Hajj Operations in Medina. From that 1990, down to when Chimaroke became governor, we still enjoyed the slots that were given to the Yoruba community in Enugu.
“There is no doubt we are facing a lot of problems in this state. We have not benefited anything from the present administration in Enugu State. We as a community we have participated in almost all the activities of the state. The last straw that broke the camel’s back was the present Hajj operation, which we recommended people to participate. But up till now, there is no single Yoruba man that belongs to the Yoruba community that was given any slot to participate in the Hajj operation.”
Adeyelu recalled that since governor Chime came on board, he had written about five letters seeking for audience with him, to let his government know the problems of the Yoruba community but unfortunately none of the letters was replied.
He also expressed disappointment that Chime does not care and had not asked leaders of non-indigenes in his state the problems their various groups are facing in the state, just as he regretted that the immediate past administration cancelled the allocation of land given to the Yoruba community to build its secretariat by the former military governor of the state, Navy Captain Mike Agbaje.
The secretariat, he said, would have served as a centre where the Yoruba cultural heritage would have been sold to the people, adding that all the promises of re-allocation of another land to the community made by the past administration, did not yield fruitful dividend until its tenure expired in 2007.
Besides, Adeyelu advised all members of the Yoruba community in the state to remain calm, law abiding and loyal not only to their host state but to the Federal Government as there is still hope for a better tomorrow for them.
Re: Yoruba Community Alleges Marginalisation In Enugu by AloyEmeka6: 4:28am On Oct 27, 2009
Nchara:

This is for YommyUK,

Yoruba community in Anambra State condemns kidnap of 21 Igbo traders
By Okey Maduforo, Correspondent, Awka

Yoruba community in Anambra State, under the umbrella of Egbe Omo Oduduwa has condemned the alleged kidnap of 21 Igbo traders in Owo, Ondo State, warning that it is a threat on the unity and peaceful coexistence of Nigeria as a nation.

The traders were allegedly kidnapped last Friday by three militant groups known as Palace Boys, Eyin Ogbe Boys and Iloro Youths, who demanded millions of naira as ransom before they would be released.

The militants had last year kidnapped 16 Igbo traders before the latest incident which led to a petition to the state Commissioner of Police Mr. Charles Dawodu, by Ndigbo in the community.

Speaking with Daily Independent in Awka, Anambra State, the chairman of **Egbe Omo Oduduwa** in the area Baba Tunde Adegbenjo, said the incident sends danger signals, adding that there is no state in the country that do not have militants.

"We want to condemn the action and attitude of these militants. We have militants all over the federation and they should consider the fact that if they continue with this other people will revenge and when they do, it becomes crisis everywhere.

"So we are not happy with the attitude of our people back home who gather themselves together and call themselves militants.

"The relation of any of those victims would look for people around to kidnap and those of us outside the Yoruba land or non-indigenes generally would become victims. If this type of thing continues we will have no option but to point to the residence of part of Yoruba land where these activities are taking place.

"The place where it happened is Owo community, so instead of allowing them to go and revenge on Ogwoko man or Akure or Ondo town, we will now point to the residence of the Owo people among us; so that they will go and pick them. This is because things like this spread like wild fire and we will not allow that to happen."

Adegbenjo further noted that security is very important in business interaction and such a thing can affect business between visitors and owners of the land.

"If an Igboman do not feel safe to do business in Yoruba land they will not go there and those of us in Igbo land will not be comfortable and these are the type of incident we experienced some time ago, when the Hausa people had problems with the Igbos and many lives were lost.

"We do not want this type of thing and this is how it starts. So we have to tell our people to stop all these nonsense they are doing. It will not discourage economic development and sound interpersonal relationship in the country."

He urged the Ondo State government to take action quickly to protect the interest of the Igbo in the area as Yoruba and other ethnic groups are being protected in the South East zone; adding that the people at the zone and their respective governments have been friendly and displayed the spirit of brotherhood among visitors and settlers in Igbo land.

I don't know whether it was Awolowo that gave Yorubas this mentality of we against them. Billymuse once mentioned here that Igbos do not allow others to trade inside Onitsha main market. I asked him whether he has tried before and he has no answer. What the fool doesn't understand is that shops are more expensive at Onitsha than anywhere in Nigeria.  A 12 by 12 foot store in mainmarket Onitsha can lease for about N2m a year and even the igbos that want a space there could not afford it. Some end up moving to other cities so they can get a space for business. Bottom line is, if you don't try, how can you get it?.

If Obama did not attempt the presidency, will he become one?. I remember many reports about elderly black folks who advised him not to disgrace himself but he ignored them. That is what life is all about. Yoruba youths lack that drive; the ability to venture into unknown territories and make a statement and I think the older ones who survived under harsh circumstances in UK ought to come home, hold seminars and let their youths know they can do the same even in Nigeria.

There are many igbos in the remotest part of Chad[there are no Yorubas there too] and they ply their trade daily when some of his mates in Nigeria are busy whining about how other tribes treats them bad. Its getting boring.
Re: Yoruba Community Alleges Marginalisation In Enugu by AloyEmeka6: 4:30am On Oct 27, 2009
Nchara:

Tpia,

Even remote Nsukka has over 5k Yorubas how much less cities. Many NL's grew up in their respective villages sha, that is why they know nothing about Nigeria except their village and may be Lagos.
Re: Yoruba Community Alleges Marginalisation In Enugu by yommyuk: 4:31am On Oct 27, 2009
All Igbo states have Yoruba residents and their number amounts to hundreds of thousands

1st time I have heard this.
Yorubas in Iboland!!!
Just like water in hell

One thing I have noticed on NL is that whenever there is a new post that puts the IBOs in the spot light
They all come out gun blazing like dogs on the lose grin grin grin
What a bunch!
Re: Yoruba Community Alleges Marginalisation In Enugu by Nobody: 4:33am On Oct 27, 2009
Aloy~Emeka:

There are many igbos in the remotest part of Chad

did your group plant them there?

and who told you there are no Yorubas in the region?

You sniffed for info and was told Yorubas are absent, right?
Re: Yoruba Community Alleges Marginalisation In Enugu by Nchara: 4:35am On Oct 27, 2009
YommyUK,

Did you read the article about Igbos in Onitsha (I know some of you guys are very ignorant, so let me immediately explain that Onitsha is in Anambra and not Enugu- the topic of this discussion)? I just posted it so you know that Yorubas are everywhere too.
Plus, did you at all read the ariticle which led to your original post? If so, what did the Yoruba in Enugu say about Enugu people/govt, minus their present complaints?
Re: Yoruba Community Alleges Marginalisation In Enugu by sjeezy8: 4:36am On Oct 27, 2009
Zik even said hell no to the east lol

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Community Alleges Marginalisation In Enugu by Nobody: 4:37am On Oct 27, 2009
Aloy~Emeka:

Even remote Nsukka has over 5k Yorubas how much less cities. Many NL's grew up in their respective villages sha, that is why they know nothing about Nigeria except their village and may be Lagos.

Nsukka, the home of the University of Nigeria, UNN, is now suddenly remote because you want to explain the presence of a few hundred Yorubas there.

undecided undecided undecided

am I surprised? No be you?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (19) (Reply)

The Ghost Town Of Bama Reawakened As Reconstruction Begins. PIXS / Peter Obi Speaks On Petrol Subsidy / Makinde Orders Contractor Handling Over N65billion Ibadan Circular Road To Stop

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 104
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.