Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,834 members, 7,828,051 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 10:47 PM

Amendment Of CCB/CCT Act By National Assembly Is Null & Void - Olatunde Bakare - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Amendment Of CCB/CCT Act By National Assembly Is Null & Void - Olatunde Bakare (18474 Views)

Senate Suspends Amendment Of CCB Act (screenshot) / Division In Senate Over Amendment Of CCB Act / Senate Rushes Passage Of CCB Act Amendment (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Amendment Of CCB/CCT Act By National Assembly Is Null & Void - Olatunde Bakare by kcnwaigbo: 6:30pm On Oct 29, 2016
greenpasture:

Oh dear!

To amend a constitutional provision you need the additional votes of 2/3 of 36 state Assemblies.
My dear we have already passed that stage,the amendment is already before the president awaiting his assent,should he fail to do that 2/3 of the NASS will pass it into law
Re: Amendment Of CCB/CCT Act By National Assembly Is Null & Void - Olatunde Bakare by Nobody: 6:41pm On Oct 29, 2016
kcnwaigbo:

My dear we have already passed that stage,the amendment is already before the president awaiting his assent,should he fail to do that 2/3 of the NASS will pass it into law

You don't seem to get the difference between 2/3 of the votes of NASS members and a majority of votes in 2/3 of STATE HOUSES OF ASSEMBLY. State Houses of Assembly is NOT the same as NASS. To change the Constitution or an office related to the Constitution you have to win at NASS AND 2/3 of State Assemblies. The people who wrote the constitution made it clear that only a national majority of states could change it and not just a few elected senators and representatives.

Under the Federal system the states join the FRN by consent and any constitutional matters referring to them must be approved by a majority of them.

The attempt to change the CCT / CCB is dead on arrival.

2 Likes

Re: Amendment Of CCB/CCT Act By National Assembly Is Null & Void - Olatunde Bakare by kcnwaigbo: 6:44pm On Oct 29, 2016
greenpasture:

You don't seem to get the difference between 2/3 of the votes of NASS members and a majority of votes in 2/3 of STATE HOUSES OF ASSEMBLY. State Houses of Assembly is NOT the same as NASS. To change the Constitution or an office related to the Constitution you have to win at NASS AND 2/3 of State Assemblies. The people who wrote the constitution made it clear that only a national majority of states could change it and not just a few elected senators and representatives.

Under the Federal system the states join the FRN by consent and any constitutional matters referring to them must be approved by a majority of them.

The attempt to change the CCT / CCB is dead on arrival.
You are the one making noise on Nairaland when the NASS has already amended the act!!! When they pass it into law come to Nairaland and stop them
Re: Amendment Of CCB/CCT Act By National Assembly Is Null & Void - Olatunde Bakare by Nobody: 7:01pm On Oct 29, 2016
kcnwaigbo:

You are the one making noise on Nairaland when the NASS has already amended the act!!! When they pass it into law come to Nairaland and stop them

A constitutional amendment does not happen simply because NASS has passed an amendment. It happens when in ADDITION to that 2/3 of State Houses of Assembly agree with NASS. Considering the number of states controlled by the APC this is a statistical impossibility.

Your failure to understand the difference between NASS and say the Katsina or Borno House of Assembly is embarrassing. The fact you keep restating your error again and again with such vehemence in spite of efforts to correct it is frightening.

I am not going to bother trying to educate you on this topic any more. Hopefully one of your friends will send you a private message so you stop embarrassing yourself and them.

1 Like

Re: Amendment Of CCB/CCT Act By National Assembly Is Null & Void - Olatunde Bakare by kcnwaigbo: 7:44pm On Oct 29, 2016
greenpasture:

A constitutional amendment does not happen simply because NASS has passed an amendment. It happens when in ADDITION to that 2/3 of State Houses of Assembly agree with NASS. Considering the number of states controlled by the APC this is a statistical impossibility.

Your failure to understand the difference between NASS and say the Katsina or Borno House of Assembly is embarrassing. The fact you keep restating your error again and again with such vehemence in spite of efforts to correct it is frightening.

I am not going to bother trying to educate you on this topic any more. Hopefully one of your friends will send you a private message so you stop embarrassing yourself and them.
My dear stop arguing with me I am not a the one carrying out the amendments!!! The NASS has already done it,you are crying over spilled milk.It is done already
Re: Amendment Of CCB/CCT Act By National Assembly Is Null & Void - Olatunde Bakare by Doyin2(m): 8:13pm On Oct 29, 2016
kcnwaigbo:

My dear stop arguing with me I am not a the one carrying out the amendments!!! The NASS has already done it,you are crying over spilled milk.It is done already

For lack of knowledge,my people perished!

It is even more annoying that what you are supporting are legislooters.

It seems comprehension is your major challenge and I just wonder why you are still arguing very blindly.

The points are very clear:

1. The amendment of the act contradicts the provisions of the Constitution.The constitution which is superior, is different from an act of parliament.

Normally,Acts are suppose to explain or give further details about the provisions of a constitution.But where the ''explanation'' or'' details'' of an Act ,contradicts the constitution it was ab initio meant to interpret,then it becomes null and void to the extent of that contradiction.

The contradiction can only be amended by amending the constitution itself.

What the legislooters have done is an aqmendment of an ACT and not the CONSTITUTION.

If you are a Christian,the bible is like the CONSTITUTION whilst the seven books of Moses,is like an ACT!

If you are a Muslim,The Quran is like the CONSTITUTION, whilst the Hadiths of Mohammed,is like an ACT!

2.Amending the CONSTITUTION, no be beans ooooooo........

This has been explained to you.I just hope you can eat the humble pie and accept correction.

Amending an ACT in contravention of the CONSTITUTION,is absolutely illegal and a total embarrassment to law abiding citizenry.

Anyway it is no surprise, if legislooters could be engaged in illegality.

3 Likes

Re: Amendment Of CCB/CCT Act By National Assembly Is Null & Void - Olatunde Bakare by Nobody: 8:44pm On Oct 29, 2016
kcnwaigbo:

I can't speak highly enough of your ignorance. To put it down on the Internet where you can't delete it is double jeopardy. Iam simply amazed. Let me try to understand your fixation with NASS

OK NASS has amended it but...

It is NOT the law of Nigeria and it will not be until 2/3 of State Houses of Assembly approve it. Until it is so approved the CCT /CCB will continue as it is are and all actions taken by them will stand.

Maybe when put in those terms you will be able to understand simple constitutional law.

And if not...all the best.

1 Like

Re: Amendment Of CCB/CCT Act By National Assembly Is Null & Void - Olatunde Bakare by Nobody: 8:48pm On Oct 29, 2016
Doyin2:

For lack of knowledge,my people perished!

It is even more annoying that what you are supporting are legislooters.

It seems comprehension is your major challenge and I just wonder why you are still arguing very blindly.

The points are very clear:

1. The amendment of the act contradicts the provisions of the Constitution.The constitution which is superior, is different from an act of parliament.

Normally,Acts are suppose to explain or give further details about the provisions of a constitution.But where the ''explanation'' or'' details'' of an Act ,contradicts the constitution it was ab initio meant to interpret,then it becomes null and void to the extent of that contradiction.

The contradiction can only be amended by amending the constitution itself.

What the legislooters have done is an aqmendment of an ACT and not the CONSTITUTION.

If you are a Christian,the bible is like the CONSTITUTION whilst the seven books of Moses,is like an ACT!

If you are a Muslim,The Quran is like the CONSTITUTION, whilst the Hadiths of Mohammed,is like an ACT!

2.Amending the CONSTITUTION, no be beans ooooooo........

This has been explained to you.I just hope you can eat the humble pie and accept correction.

Amending an ACT in contravention of the CONSTITUTION,is absolutely illegal and a total embarrassment to law abiding citizenry.

Anyway it is no surprise, if legislooters could be engaged in illegality.

I honestly wouldn't bother with this guy. He doesn't understand anything other than his mantra " NASS has amended it."It's anchoring bias, the inability to accept new information that changes a cognitive error. It's not his fault. It's his mental processing.

1 Like

Re: Amendment Of CCB/CCT Act By National Assembly Is Null & Void - Olatunde Bakare by Pennywise(m): 9:19pm On Oct 29, 2016
MadamExcellency:
INEC did not just come into existence by virtue of the INEC Act but by the provisions of the 1999 Constitution.

Why is INEC operating with amended Electoral laws passed by NASS without endorsement from 2/3 of Nigerian States before implementation?

Because no one has challenged it.

If they attempt to push through this illegality, it will be the end of the Senate and HOR as we know it.
Re: Amendment Of CCB/CCT Act By National Assembly Is Null & Void - Olatunde Bakare by MadamExcellency: 9:37pm On Oct 29, 2016
Pennywise:

If they attempt to push through this illegality, it will be the end of the Senate and HOR as we know it.

Download the attached file from the link and read this Act to understand that the CCT is partly a creation of NASS and then reconcile it with what the op's half truth explains.

http://eie.ng/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/Code-of-Conduct-Bureau-and-Tribunal-Act.pdf
Re: Amendment Of CCB/CCT Act By National Assembly Is Null & Void - Olatunde Bakare by Oluwabusobomi(f): 9:38pm On Oct 29, 2016
Mynd44:
Lmaoooooo.

When we have a Senate that is filled with politicians who are moved more by corruption, things like this is what happens

APShit moderator, see ur grammar undecided

Seun this guy need to be sacked!
Re: Amendment Of CCB/CCT Act By National Assembly Is Null & Void - Olatunde Bakare by Nobody: 10:04pm On Oct 29, 2016
MadamExcellency:
INEC did not just come into existence by virtue of the INEC Act but by the provisions of the 1999 Constitution.

Why is INEC operating with amended Electoral laws passed by NASS without endorsement from 2/3 of Nigerian States before implementation?

The Electoral Act only governs the conduct of elections. It doesn't amend the relevant constitutional provisions that establish INEC as a body.

1 Like

Re: Amendment Of CCB/CCT Act By National Assembly Is Null & Void - Olatunde Bakare by kcnwaigbo: 10:06pm On Oct 29, 2016
Pennywise:

Lol end of Senate lwkmd
Re: Amendment Of CCB/CCT Act By National Assembly Is Null & Void - Olatunde Bakare by MadamExcellency: 10:09pm On Oct 29, 2016
CFCman:

The Electoral Act only governs the conduct of elections. It doesn't amend the relevant constitutional provisions that establish INEC as a body.

Download and read, then let's discuss

http://eie.ng/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/Code-of-Conduct-Bureau-and-Tribunal-Act.pdf
Re: Amendment Of CCB/CCT Act By National Assembly Is Null & Void - Olatunde Bakare by kcnwaigbo: 10:10pm On Oct 29, 2016
greenpasture:

I can't speak highly enough of your ignorance. To put it down on the Internet where you can't delete it is double jeopardy. Iam simply amazed. Let me try to understand your fixation with NASS

OK NASS has amended it but...

It is NOT the law of Nigeria and it will not be until 2/3 of State Houses of Assembly approve it. Until it is so approved the CCT /CCB will continue as it is are and all actions taken by them will stand.

Maybe when put in those terms you will be able to understand simple constitutional law.

And if not...all the best.
My dear you are not a court of law,the once 2/3 of the NASS passes it into law,it automatically comes into effect unless it is voided by a court of law!!! As of today there is no one challenging the amendment in court. If after 30 days,2/3 of the NASS votes to pass the amendment, it will automatically become law
Re: Amendment Of CCB/CCT Act By National Assembly Is Null & Void - Olatunde Bakare by Nobody: 1:06am On Oct 30, 2016
MadamExcellency:

Download and read, then let's discuss

The Pdf contains the CCB Act. But what the senators passed was a purported amendment to the constitutional provisions that established the CCB/CCT.

Like I posted earlier, the federal courts would eventually have to wade into the issue via a case or controversy.
Re: Amendment Of CCB/CCT Act By National Assembly Is Null & Void - Olatunde Bakare by agitator: 11:20am On Oct 30, 2016
CFCman:

The Pdf contains the CCB Act. But what the senators passed was a purported amendment to the constitutional provisions that established the CCB/CCT.

Like I posted earlier, the federal courts would eventually have to wade into the issue via a case or controversy.

The CCB/CCT was established by an Act of the NA and signed into law. It is not part of the constitution as the learned lawyer is insinuating.

One thing most APC supporters are ignorant of is that the President is not as powerful as is being perceived, maybe because they were born and grew up during military rule where the Head of State has absolute powers.

The president can send a bill to the NA and it can be rejected; that is the end of the bill. Whereas the NA can present a bill, debate and vote and send the bill to the president for assent and if the president vetoes it, i.e. refusing to sign the bill into law, the bill goes back to the NA. Once the NA gets 2/3 majority votes in favour of the bill, it is an ACT of parliament and becomes law.

It is only when such Act contravenes any section of the constitution that it can be declared void by the Supreme Court, and that is after a case is instituted against the ACT.

Please, can you quote the section(s) of the constitution that was amended?
Re: Amendment Of CCB/CCT Act By National Assembly Is Null & Void - Olatunde Bakare by seanswitch(m): 1:35pm On Oct 30, 2016
kcnwaigbo:

The NASS does not need the president to pass it into law
There are two things involved in a bill becoming an act. 1. Either the president assents after both chambers have concurred on the bill or the NASS decide to override the presidents power of assent by vetoing it. What I'm sure of is that this NASS will not thread the path of the latter. Not on a controversial bill such as amendment of CCT Act. So, the bill is DOA just like the NABRO bill. The op has discussed the legality of the bill. Thanks sir

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Foreign Reserves Rise To $30.5B As CBN Targets $40B Before Year End / Peter Obi Wins Politician Of The Year At Ongoing Leadership Awards / Governors’ Forum Congratulates Buhari, Thanks Jonathan For Concession

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.