Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,235 members, 7,818,786 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:26 AM

Which Smartphone Brand Is The Most Popular in Nigeria For 2016? - Phones (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Which Smartphone Brand Is The Most Popular in Nigeria For 2016? (20314 Views)

Poll: Which Smartphone Brand Are You Using? / Huawei Overtakes Apple As World’s Second Smartphone Brand / Which Is The Highest Selling Smartphone Brand In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Which Smartphone Brand Is The Most Popular in Nigeria For 2016? by Nobody: 9:58am On Nov 18, 2016
Uchihaitaci:

Another lame thread opened by Tecno paid marketers for Tecno...

Popular rubbish, after all everyone knows bokoharam, but doesn't mean event though they are popular that they are loved !!

HIV is popular for being a deadly disease doesnt mean people want it

Tecno remains a low standard rubbish product for the poor ...

The truth is bitter.
Re: Which Smartphone Brand Is The Most Popular in Nigeria For 2016? by Nobody: 10:02am On Nov 18, 2016
asuustrike2009:

The truth is bitter.

Which truth ? grin
Re: Which Smartphone Brand Is The Most Popular in Nigeria For 2016? by daryl750(m): 10:26am On Nov 18, 2016
Hmmm, common question, Una no fit answer, issokay,, by the way, hope you all know that infinix, techno and itel are produced by the same company, one person owns them.. shocked
Re: Which Smartphone Brand Is The Most Popular in Nigeria For 2016? by Techm8: 10:45am On Nov 18, 2016
FANE4Naija:
A lot of people are getting it wrong here. Tecno may be the most used phone in Nigeria, but the question was about the most popular phone in 2016.
Have we all forgotten the buzz Infinix created with their Hot Notes?
I was opening this thread expecting to see Infinix, disappointed to see Tecno mentioned here and there.
In 2016, every young lady wanted a Hot Note.

You were disappointed to see Tecno mentioned as the most popular and yet you agreed that it's the most used brand.
Doesn't the Most used translate to most popular?

Simple Definition of POPULAR

liked, enjoyed, accepted, followed, USED, or done by many people.
Re: Which Smartphone Brand Is The Most Popular in Nigeria For 2016? by Techm8: 10:46am On Nov 18, 2016
daryl750:
Hmmm, common question, Una no fit answer, issokay,, by the way, hope you all know that infinix, techno and itel are produced by the same company, one person owns them.. shocked
Proof
Re: Which Smartphone Brand Is The Most Popular in Nigeria For 2016? by Nobody: 11:56am On Nov 18, 2016
Uchihaitaci:

Which truth ? grin
Before nkor, how many pipo dey use Samsung for Naija? Dem plenty at all ; angry angry angry
Re: Which Smartphone Brand Is The Most Popular in Nigeria For 2016? by MichaelUweh(m): 12:22pm On Nov 18, 2016
Bros na Almighty INFINIX top the league. gbam
Re: Which Smartphone Brand Is The Most Popular in Nigeria For 2016? by oribi(m): 12:44pm On Nov 18, 2016
samyomz:
the main reason why I'm scared is that there is no warranty on the phone and most phones on jumia are usually on warranty.. ..

fear not bro...believe me u go love the phone
Re: Which Smartphone Brand Is The Most Popular in Nigeria For 2016? by donbenie(m): 1:10pm On Nov 18, 2016
srrrr:
In terms of popularity

Tecno

Infinix

Apple

Samsung

BlackBerry

Gionee

Itel
In which country is Apple more popular than Samsung,certainly not in this Naija!
Re: Which Smartphone Brand Is The Most Popular in Nigeria For 2016? by Nobody: 1:14pm On Nov 18, 2016
oribi:

fear not bro...believe me u go love the phone
aii thanks
Re: Which Smartphone Brand Is The Most Popular in Nigeria For 2016? by donbenie(m): 1:15pm On Nov 18, 2016
Sphilip1:
Hey missKiffy.

You re not wrong on this one. But personally, i see popular in two ways.

1. Everybody knows you and only few owns you. e.g. Iphone 7

2. Every body has you. (Techno)

Although Techno did storm the market with most of it's 2016 devices, when it comes to being famous. iPhone is king grin grin shocked shocked

My grand Ma knows iPhone but she doesn't know techno c9. lo cheesy cheesy cheesy
If your grandma knows of iPhones then she's certainly not the average Naija grandma and Tecno C9 is a phone not a brand,not everyone is expected to know it..

1 Like

Re: Which Smartphone Brand Is The Most Popular in Nigeria For 2016? by Ryocaj(m): 1:44pm On Nov 18, 2016
Infinix Hot 2.. 6 in every 10 ppl own it...
Re: Which Smartphone Brand Is The Most Popular in Nigeria For 2016? by Nobody: 1:50pm On Nov 18, 2016
asuustrike2009:

Before nkor, how many pipo dey use Samsung for Naija? Dem plenty at all ; angry angry angry

It depends on your perspective oh, if you live in Ajegunle and ask this question the answer you would get is zero, now if you leave in a middle class neighborhood you would find enough people using it, now if you live in a highbrow area your guess is as good as mine.. Same with Tecno, Infinix and Itel, if you live in a lowly Ghetto dont be surprised everyone is using Tecno and Infinix there and they will probably tell you how Iphone is a useless phone and how Tecno will be the Next big thing to save the planet. Now if you live in a highbrow / Middleclass area you would be hard pressed to find dedicated Tecno and Infinix users who will say rubbish because thats all they can afford. So my bro if Tecno is King in Ghettos in Ibadan doesnt mean every one in Ibadan likes Tecno or Infinix

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Which Smartphone Brand Is The Most Popular in Nigeria For 2016? by Nobody: 2:29pm On Nov 18, 2016
Uchihaitaci:

It depends on your perspective oh, if you live in Ajegunle and ask this question the answer you would get is zero, now if you leave in a middle class neighborhood you would find enough people using it, now if you live in a highbrow area your guess is as good as mine.. Same with Tecno, Infinix and Itel, if you live in a lowly Ghetto dont be surprised everyone is using Tecno and Infinix there and they will probably tell you how Iphone is a useless phone and how Tecno will be the Next big thing to save the planet. Now if you live in a highbrow / Middleclass area you would be hard pressed to find dedicated Tecno and Infinix users who will say rubbish because thats all they can afford. So my bro if Tecno is King in Ghettos in Ibadan doesnt mean every one in Ibadan likes Tecno or Infinix
Am not saying tecno is best or that everyone likes it. What am saying is tecno is seen in virtually all residents in Nigeria. At least for every 10 persons using android 1 person is a tecno user. Unlike Samsung and others that doesn't care about us here.
Re: Which Smartphone Brand Is The Most Popular in Nigeria For 2016? by Nobody: 2:38pm On Nov 18, 2016
asuustrike2009:

Am not saying tecno is best or that everyone likes it. What am saying is tecno is seen in virtually all residents in Nigeria. At least for every 10 persons using android 1 person is a tecno user. Unlike Samsung and others that doesn't care about us here.

AND I SAID YOUR CLAIM IS WRONG...THAT MAY APPLY IN THE gHETTOS, BUT NOT EVERYWHERE...I CAN SHOW YOU A NEIGHBOURHIID IN EVERY STATE WHERE OUT OF 10 PEOPLE USING ANDROID YOU WONT FIND TECNO...INFACT I CAN SHOW YOU SOME SCHOOLS WHERE YOU WONT FIND TECNO, INFACT I CAN SHOW YOU SECONDARY SCHOOLS EVEN..
SO STOP HYPING TECNO AND INFINIX THEY ARE POPULAR YES, BUT MAINLY AMONGST PEOPLE STRUGGLING FINANCIALLY..

LISTEN IF NIGERIA SUDDENLY GOT A GOOD PRESIDENT AND THE ECONOMY START MASSIVE GROWTH TILL THE POINT OF IT BEING $60 TO 1 NAIRA DO YOU THINK ANYONE WOULD BUY TECNO OR INFINIX? IF THE NAIRA BECAME SO STRONG TRHAT IPPHONE 7 COULD BE BOUGHT HERE FOR 40K DO YOU THINK ANY NIGERIAN WOULD THINK TWICE AND BUY TECNO INSTEAD? I CAN TELL YOU FOR A FACT THAT NO ONE WOULD BUT TECNO OR INFINIX.

WHY DO YOU THINK THESE PHONES ARE ONLY SOLD IN COUNTRIES WITH HIGH POVERTY RATES EXAMPLE: NIGERIA, KENYA, ETHIOPIA AND INDIA? WHY ISNT INFINIX OR TECNO SOLD IN SOUTH AFRICA, EGYPT, MOROCCO, TUNISIA? ONLY IN VERY POOR COUNTRIES?

IF NIGERIAS ECONOMY BECAME GOOD YOU WOULD REALIUZE THA TPEOPLE KNOW TECNO IS RUBBISH... SO I LAUGH WHEN I SEE YOU GUYS COMOARE TECNO TO THE IPHONE? HOW DARE YOU? APPLE BUILT A BRAND OVER QUALITY..DO YOU WANT TO KNOW HOW TO IDENTIFY A SUCCESSFUL BRAND? ITS WHEN EVEN IN A RECESSION AND SCARCITY YET PEOPLE STRUGGLE TO GATHER MONEY TO BUY YOUR PRODUCT.. YES THATS WHEN YOU KNOW YOU ARE SUCCESSFUL..NOY BUY HOW MANY POOR HUNGRY PEOPLE ARE USING YOUR PHONE BECAUSE THEY HAVE NO OTHER CHOICE
Re: Which Smartphone Brand Is The Most Popular in Nigeria For 2016? by Stevez32(m): 3:21pm On Nov 18, 2016
dumie:
Apparently, u must be living under a rock
Apparently you have no sense at all, let alone having a sense of humour.
Re: Which Smartphone Brand Is The Most Popular in Nigeria For 2016? by Nobody: 3:29pm On Nov 18, 2016
Uchihaitaci:

AND I SAID YOUR CLAIM IS WRONG...THAT MAY APPLY IN THE gHETTOS, BUT NOT EVERYWHERE...I CAN SHOW YOU A NEIGHBOURHIID IN EVERY STATE WHERE OUT OF 10 PEOPLE USING ANDROID YOU WONT FIND TECNO...INFACT I CAN SHOW YOU SOME SCHOOLS WHERE YOU WONT FIND TECNO, INFACT I CAN SHOW YOU SECONDARY SCHOOLS EVEN..
SO STOP HYPING TECNO AND INFINIX THEY ARE POPULAR YES, BUT MAINLY AMONGST PEOPLE STRUGGLING FINANCIALLY..

LISTEN IF NIGERIA SUDDENLY GOT A GOOD PRESIDENT AND THE ECONOMY START MASSIVE GROWTH TILL THE POINT OF IT BEING $60 TO 1 NAIRA DO YOU THINK ANYONE WOULD BUY TECNO OR INFINIX? IF THE NAIRA BECAME SO STRONG TRHAT IPPHONE 7 COULD BE BOUGHT HERE FOR 40K DO YOU THINK ANY NIGERIAN WOULD THINK TWICE AND BUY TECNO INSTEAD? I CAN TELL YOU FOR A FACT THAT NO ONE WOULD BUT TECNO OR INFINIX.

WHY DO YOU THINK THESE PHONES ARE ONLY SOLD IN COUNTRIES WITH HIGH POVERTY RATES EXAMPLE: NIGERIA, KENYA, ETHIOPIA AND INDIA? WHY ISNT INFINIX OR TECNO SOLD IN SOUTH AFRICA, EGYPT, MOROCCO, TUNISIA? ONLY IN VERY POOR COUNTRIES?

IF NIGERIAS ECONOMY BECAME GOOD YOU WOULD REALIUZE THA TPEOPLE KNOW TECNO IS RUBBISH... SO I LAUGH WHEN I SEE YOU GUYS COMOARE TECNO TO THE IPHONE? HOW DARE YOU? APPLE BUILT A BRAND OVER QUALITY..DO YOU WANT TO KNOW HOW TO IDENTIFY A SUCCESSFUL BRAND? ITS WHEN EVEN IN A RECESSION AND SCARCITY YET PEOPLE STRUGGLE TO GATHER MONEY TO BUY YOUR PRODUCT.. YES THATS WHEN YOU KNOW YOU ARE SUCCESSFUL..NOY BUY HOW MANY POOR HUNGRY PEOPLE ARE USING YOUR PHONE BECAUSE THEY HAVE NO OTHER CHOICE

If 10 out of 100 persons use tecno,infinix or itel then there must be reason. why arent other brands like Samsung, apple and Nokia striving in Nigeria market? . Go to mobile phones shops and ask them which phones are on high demand in Nigeria?
Do you think tecno and others were fools before penetrating Nigeria market?
Perhaps Google PESTEL analysis of firm and various strategies of businesses then you would understand reasons why tecno is dominating the market.
For now other brands can't sell in Nigeria and other countries as mentioned because they don't strategize well
Re: Which Smartphone Brand Is The Most Popular in Nigeria For 2016? by afezy110(m): 3:38pm On Nov 18, 2016
skywalker240:
mah talk truth, na Tecno, but the problem i get with them na OTA updates, my freinds use J8 and C9 awesome machines but no OTA.

Dem don finish Nokia life,...chai, i rem those good old days, of 3310 and rock with me grin
tecno c9 receives ota updates. my sister uses ut. I'm using tecno w3 . it also receives ota updates.

Re: Which Smartphone Brand Is The Most Popular in Nigeria For 2016? by Nobody: 4:15pm On Nov 18, 2016
asuustrike2009:

If 10 out of 100 persons use tecno,infinix or itel then there must be reason. why arent other brands like Samsung, apple and Nokia striving in Nigeria market? . Go to mobile phones shops and ask them which phones are on high demand in Nigeria?
Do you think tecno and others were fools before penetrating Nigeria market?
Perhaps Google PESTEL analysis of firm and various strategies of businesses then you would understand reasons why tecno is dominating the market.
For now other brands can't sell in Nigeria and other countries as mentioned because they don't strategize well

What are you saying? where did you learn your economics from? Ebute meta? grin
According to your analysis a large corporation like Sony whose Playstation 3 & 4 , that has sold 49 million units world wide excluding Nigeria, dont know how to strategize? because they dont care about sales in Nigeria? why? because majority of people here are poor?
Are you kidding me? so according to your own law of economics its better to sell well in a poor economy than to sell well in world class economies where millions can buy your product?
Are you kidding me? Tecno , Infinix and Itel are devices for poor refugess period!!!! Do you think if tecno could afford to compete in developed societies like Canada, France, Germany, Southh Africa, America, Japan, even in CHina where Xioami dominates Tecno would hjave loved to selll their devises there, but all transsion devices are so substandard they arent even sold in China!!! deny this now!!!!
M,y point is this is an aargument you will loose, what you paid Tecno marketers are doing by hyping this garbage is the samething as a one eyed man paying for Ggoolge ads, and Facebook ads telling people to pluck out and eye that life is so much better with only one eye... when we all know in reality he would have loved to have both eyes biut the delusional man goe on ranting about how life is better using one eye, even going as far as comparing his single eye with VR head sets like Oculus rift....
My dear never compare Teecno or infinix with apple or Samsung, you are not their mate, all you guys should do is say what Transsion devices are" the poor mans alternative to better phones" simple thats all Yecno, Infinix and Itel will ever only be, simply the poor alternative to better phones like, One plus three, Iphone, Nexus, Moto, Samsung, Xperia and such..Tecno can never ever ver be on the same level as these.
If second hand clothes sell better than 2017 Levi slim edition jeans thats only because alot of people cant afford the new Levis jeans NOT BECAUSE THEY PREFER IT OR IT IS BETTER...OGA DONT CONFUSE NOT HAVING A CHOICE WITH PREFERENCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Which Smartphone Brand Is The Most Popular in Nigeria For 2016? by Nobody: 5:06pm On Nov 18, 2016
oribi:

i use a xiaomi redmi2 and also used mi4 for a while sold it due to recression grin....

xiaomi is a premium phone in china and was number one in sales in china but beaten by OPPO now..

now to your question............note 3 by xiaomi would be a blast based on my present phone n the one used in the past...my only advise buy a European edition with that you don't have does Chinese apps

there is an OTA update 24/7
thanks a lot bro. U just cleared my mind
Re: Which Smartphone Brand Is The Most Popular in Nigeria For 2016? by oribi(m): 6:43pm On Nov 18, 2016
Ebuka2016:
thanks a lot bro. U just cleared my mind
my bro any time
Re: Which Smartphone Brand Is The Most Popular in Nigeria For 2016? by dumie(f): 7:01pm On Nov 18, 2016
Stevez32:
Apparently you have no sense at all, let alone having a sense of humour.
Clearly this just smacks of painment lol.. Kindly crawl back to the pit of oblivion you crawled out from... grin

2 Likes

Re: Which Smartphone Brand Is The Most Popular in Nigeria For 2016? by Nobody: 8:00pm On Nov 18, 2016
Uchihaitaci:

What are you saying? where did you learn your economics from? Ebute meta? grin
According to your analysis a large corporation like Sony whose Playstation 3 & 4 , that has sold 49 million units world wide excluding Nigeria, dont know how to strategize? because they dont care about sales in Nigeria? why? because majority of people here are poor?
Are you kidding me? so according to your own law of economics its better to sell well in a poor economy than to sell well in world class economies where millions can buy your product?
Are you kidding me? Tecno , Infinix and Itel are devices for poor refugess period!!!! Do you think if tecno could afford to compete in developed societies like Canada, France, Germany, Southh Africa, America, Japan, even in CHina where Xioami dominates Tecno would hjave loved to selll their devises there, but all transsion devices are so substandard they arent even sold in China!!! deny this now!!!!
M,y point is this is an aargument you will loose, what you paid Tecno marketers are doing by hyping this garbage is the samething as a one eyed man paying for Ggoolge ads, and Facebook ads telling people to pluck out and eye that life is so much better with only one eye... when we all know in reality he would have loved to have both eyes biut the delusional man goe on ranting about how life is better using one eye, even going as far as comparing his single eye with VR head sets like Oculus rift....
My dear never compare Teecno or infinix with apple or Samsung, you are not their mate, all you guys should do is say what Transsion devices are" the poor mans alternative to better phones" simple thats all Yecno, Infinix and Itel will ever only be, simply the poor alternative to better phones like, One plus three, Iphone, Nexus, Moto, Samsung, Xperia and such..Tecno can never ever ver be on the same level as these.
If second hand clothes sell better than 2017 Levi slim edition jeans thats only because alot of people cant afford the new Levis jeans NOT BECAUSE THEY PREFER IT OR IT IS BETTER...OGA DONT CONFUSE NOT HAVING A CHOICE WITH PREFERENCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

One of the ways tecno penetrated Nigeria market was through price. We had Samsung and others in the market but they couldn't penetrate that much because they don't care about Nigeria market until they started loosing their grip that was when low end android started springing up from them. To worsen it the so called low end phones can't match the specification tecno and others have apart from picture quality. Most Samsung users carry extra battery or power bank everywhere they go Isn't shameful. Samsung makers didn't consider the epileptic power situation in Nigeria to design what will suit us before dishing out their phones . this is why fast business men adopt SWOT analysis to win the market .Infinix phones an offshoot of tecno are doing well in that regards that most persons are buying their products because of battery life, and picture quality even though Samsung and others picture quality are better off.
Nobody is comparing Samsung with tecno but you have to put your pride and admit that tecno is a household name be it android,tablet and torch light phone. Visit most shops and ask which torch light phone is selling more. Samsung is a good phone no doubt about it but they're too pompous in their strategy that's why tecno knock them in Nigeria. Tell Samsung to swallow their pride and come up with affordable phones like tecno and see whether most Nigerians wouldn't dump tecno for their product

1 Like

Re: Which Smartphone Brand Is The Most Popular in Nigeria For 2016? by Nobody: 8:20pm On Nov 18, 2016
dapsonlou:

Black berry is the most durable. Lots of people are still using curve 1, I have ev remember what iphone 4 look like.

That's because they are very cheap (lots of used blackberries on the market) and BIS subscription is cheap too. It ha anything to do with durability.
Re: Which Smartphone Brand Is The Most Popular in Nigeria For 2016? by Stevez32(m): 9:23pm On Nov 18, 2016
dumie:
Clearly this just smacks of painment lol.. Kindly crawl back to the pit of oblivion you crawled out from... grin

I have noticed you! Go elsewhere and revel in your banal anti-intellectual philistinism.
Re: Which Smartphone Brand Is The Most Popular in Nigeria For 2016? by Sphilip1(m): 11:15pm On Nov 18, 2016
donbenie:
If your grandma knows of iPhones then she's certainly not the average Naija grandma and Tecno C9 is a phone not a brand,not everyone is expected to know it..

You've said it all.
Re: Which Smartphone Brand Is The Most Popular in Nigeria For 2016? by Sulaymanmeek(m): 11:24pm On Nov 18, 2016
You just want to create a never ending argument abi?

Even when we all know say na Tecno!
Re: Which Smartphone Brand Is The Most Popular in Nigeria For 2016? by dapsonlou(m): 2:54am On Nov 19, 2016
greenhulk:

That's because they are very cheap (lots of used blackberries on the market) and BIS subscription is cheap too. It ha anything to do with durability.

Curve 1 came out over 10yrs ago and it's still plenty in the market. No other phone enjoy that kind of market play. Pure water nokia don't even last that long.
Re: Which Smartphone Brand Is The Most Popular in Nigeria For 2016? by scarycuteface(m): 9:49am On Nov 19, 2016
shiftback:

yes they have. As per usual, their marketing game have been A1.
Yeah, they've explored every marketing opportunity as well as dropping interesting phones too. That makes them very relevant.
Re: Which Smartphone Brand Is The Most Popular in Nigeria For 2016? by scarycuteface(m): 9:51am On Nov 19, 2016
asuustrike2009:

One of the ways tecno penetrated Nigeria market was through price. We had Samsung and others in the market but they couldn't penetrate that much because they don't care about Nigeria market until they started loosing their grip that was when low end android started springing up from them. To worsen it the so called low end phones can't match the specification tecno and others have apart from picture quality. Most Samsung users carry extra battery or power bank everywhere they go Isn't shameful. Samsung makers didn't consider the epileptic power situation in Nigeria to design what will suit us before dishing out their phones . this is why fast business men adopt SWOT analysis to win the market .Infinix phones an offshoot of tecno are doing well in that regards that most persons are buying their products because of battery life, and picture quality even though Samsung and others picture quality are better off.
Nobody is comparing Samsung with tecno but you have to put your pride and admit that tecno is a household name be it android,tablet and torch light phone. Visit most shops and ask which torch light phone is selling more. Samsung is a good phone no doubt about it but they're too pompous in their strategy that's why tecno knock them in Nigeria. Tell Samsung to swallow their pride and come up with affordable phones like tecno and see whether most Nigerians wouldn't dump tecno for their product
You've said it all. Tecno is a household name now. They understood the market and grabbed it heads on.
Re: Which Smartphone Brand Is The Most Popular in Nigeria For 2016? by FrozeBABE: 5:39pm On Nov 28, 2016
Sinciddy:
Samsung and iPhone then Gionee no doubt.
What of Tecno?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

9 People On Social Media We All Hate / How To Use Your MTN Blackberry Subscription On TECNO And Then On PC / Why're Telcos Converting Foreign Phone Numbers To 080 Without Users' Consent?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 96
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.