Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,810 members, 7,810,113 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:56 PM

Help! My Front Tyre Rim Gets Very Hot - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Help! My Front Tyre Rim Gets Very Hot (3318 Views)

Please Suggest A Tyre RIM For My Corolla 2005CE / Watch:Jeep Cherokee's Front Tyre Pops Off And Smashes Into Oncoming Nissan / Beautify Your Car Rim With This FINE RIM DECORATOR (4000: red,blue,white,black.) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help! My Front Tyre Rim Gets Very Hot by qwertygeni: 12:10am On Oct 30, 2016
I drive a 2002 ford escape. I have been battling with a case of excessive hotness of my front right rim to a point that I feel a forcel drag affecting my acceleration and smell of a burning brake pad. My mechanic has checked the calipers and the hub, saying they are OK. He suspected the abs system, to which we temporary disconnected the abs wire but the front wheel still heats up with the drag and burning brake pad odour. We afterwards changed the brake bad to which the wheel still heats up and not as terrible as it was before the pad was replaced. Also, the drag is close to nil but the smell of the burning brake pad still persists. My mechanic is still suspecting the abs system.

Your opinions and advices are welcome sirs!

PS: No check engine light showed when the problem started till now except when we temporarily disconnected the abs when abs and hand brake light showed up. Also, after the brake pad replacement on both front wheels, the left side heats up to but not as excessive as that of the right wheel where the problem has been.
Re: Help! My Front Tyre Rim Gets Very Hot by GAZZUZZ(m): 3:57am On Oct 30, 2016
qwertygeni:
I drive a 2002 ford escape. I have been battling with a case of excessive hotness of my front right rim to a point that I feel a forcel drag affecting my acceleration and smell of a burning brake pad. My mechanic has checked the calipers and the hub, saying they are OK. He suspected the abs system, to which we temporary disconnected the abs wire but the front wheel still heats up with the drag and burning brake pad odour. We afterwards changed the brake bad to which the wheel still heats up and not as terrible as it was before the pad was replaced. Also, the drag is close to nil but the smell of the burning brake pad still persists. My mechanic is still suspecting the abs system.

PS: No check engine light showed when the problem started till now except when we temporarily disconnected the abs when abs and hand brake light showed up. Also, after the brake pad replacement on both front wheels, the left side heats up to but not as excessive as that of the right wheel where the problem has been.

there's a reason brake oil should be flushed every 100,000km and replaced with fresh oil. When brake oil gets old it corrodes metal and rubber wears quicker. Your mechanic is on the right path.
Re: Help! My Front Tyre Rim Gets Very Hot by ZIMDRILL(m): 7:54am On Oct 30, 2016
qwertygeni:

those are signs of a caliper binding i.e when you press the brakes the caliper pushes the brakes pads against the disc and when you take off your foot from brakes the caliper stops to press but when its binding even after releasing your foot the caliper keeps on press the piston inside the caliper doesnt retract back therefore the car drags and abnormal heat is released

3 Likes

Re: Help! My Front Tyre Rim Gets Very Hot by Emekayoung(m): 7:58am On Oct 30, 2016
I have had same problem wit my former toyota,tell ur mechanic to check ur front calipars to see if they are still functional. Faulty calipars are usually the main cause of dis dilemma... If u depress ur brake pedals it locks d calipars plus brake pads and d disk together. Once u remove ur leg d calipars frees d brake pads and d disk immediatley. So if ur calipar is bad it will hold on for a while b4 it releases itself frm d brake pads and disk,and hence d reason why it gets very hot. Let dem check ur calipars den come back and giv me my recharge card..

1 Like

Re: Help! My Front Tyre Rim Gets Very Hot by Emekayoung(m): 8:02am On Oct 30, 2016
ZIMDRILL:

those are signs of a caliper binding i.e when you press the brakes the caliper pushes the brakes pads against the disc and when you take off your foot from brakes the caliper stops to press but when its binding even after releasing your foot the caliper keeps on press the piston inside the caliper doesnt retract back therefore the car drags and abnormal heat is released
How come we wrote d same thing? Though the calipars are the culprit.
It's something i have experienced. Nobody told me about it.

1 Like

Re: Help! My Front Tyre Rim Gets Very Hot by mayor2013: 8:20am On Oct 30, 2016
Binding brakes.
Re: Help! My Front Tyre Rim Gets Very Hot by cardoctor(m): 6:32am On Oct 31, 2016
The fault is not your brake caliper being stuck but your caliper carrier pins. They also get rusted in and may get stuck thus restricting the movement of the calipers on the carrier and locking the brakes. If they are stiff, free them by twisting them out with a pair of pliers. Lubricate them with grease and plunge them back into their holes.

2 Likes

Re: Help! My Front Tyre Rim Gets Very Hot by qwertygeni: 11:43am On Nov 01, 2016
I appreciate you all for your advices. I will see into them, but, I have a question for Gazzuzz. From the reason you gave on my mechanic being right, how come only one wheel is the culprit.? May God increase you all in knowledge. Thank you
Re: Help! My Front Tyre Rim Gets Very Hot by GAZZUZZ(m): 11:59am On Nov 01, 2016
qwertygeni:

if your mechanic truly knows how to check for defects, the only culprit left is the abs pump

1 Like

Re: Help! My Front Tyre Rim Gets Very Hot by ZIMDRILL(m): 4:58pm On Nov 01, 2016
GAZZUZZ:

if your mechanic truly knows how to check for defects, the only culprit left is the abs pump

i doubt the abs pump why becoz it should affect two opposite wheels

i still insist of the caliper remember someone replaced the brake pads so he pushed back the piston to put the new pads and he drove the car the caliper never retracted back as it should
Re: Help! My Front Tyre Rim Gets Very Hot by erico2k2(m): 10:06pm On Nov 01, 2016
ZIMDRILL:

i doubt the abs pump why becoz it should affect two opposite wheels

i still insist of the caliper remember someone replaced the brake pads so he pushed back the piston to put the new pads and he drove the car the caliper never retracted back as it should
I recon the piston and sliding Pins are the culprits,Also some people grease these with the wrong kind of grease
Re: Help! My Front Tyre Rim Gets Very Hot by sultaan(m): 4:51am On Nov 02, 2016
erico2k2:

I recon the piston and sliding Pins are the culprits,Also some people grease these with the wrong kind of grease

We have a winner

1 Like

Re: Help! My Front Tyre Rim Gets Very Hot by aluta2: 6:39pm On Nov 02, 2016
T
Re: Help! My Front Tyre Rim Gets Very Hot by Nobody: 8:26pm On Nov 02, 2016
Your brake callipers ain't retracting when the brake pedal is released, the car won't even be as agile as it should.
Work on the brake callipers
Re: Help! My Front Tyre Rim Gets Very Hot by blestman: 7:01pm On Nov 03, 2016
i experienced a similar issue but with a toyota, not too sure of ur brake system. there are usually two v- shaped pins hooked from the inner to the outer brake pads. they normally separate the two brake pads from themselves and the rotor when you are not applying the brakes. your calipers pushes the brake pads together and against the rotor to effect braking while those two pins return them back passively.most mechanic just remove and discard these pins. quality brake pads alway comes with those pin. check if those pins are in place, they are small but work wonder.
Re: Help! My Front Tyre Rim Gets Very Hot by Emekayoung(m): 7:16pm On Nov 07, 2016
Go back to ur mechanic and tell him to service the calipars or replace dem. Unless ur brake disc will wear out b4 u know it.
Or ur brake disc will wear out before u know it.

(1) (Reply)

Kia Sorento 2004 Giving Me Headache / Smart Fortwo Car Repairs / My Toyota Camry Pencil Light V6 Revving Itself

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.