Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,829 members, 7,837,956 topics. Date: Thursday, 23 May 2024 at 01:04 PM

The Story Of Henry "Box" Brown - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Story Of Henry "Box" Brown (426 Views)

Patrick Henry Edet Dedicates His Child / Patrick Henry Edet Celebrates 1st Wedding Anniversary & 50th Birthday (Photos) / Wedding Of Patrick Henry Edet And Inyene Sampson Akpan (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The Story Of Henry "Box" Brown by SYLVESTER777: 12:17pm On Oct 30, 2016
Henry “Box” Brown was born as a slave in Virginia about 1815. He worked for years in a tobacco factory in Richmond. But when his owner suddenly sold Henry’s wife and three children to a new owner in another state, Henry determined to escape. In 1848 he persuaded a couple friends to build him a wooden box three feet long and two feet wide. After writing “This Side Up” on the outside of the box, Henry squeezed inside and had two friends mail the box from North Carolina to abolitionists in Philadelphia through the Adams Express Company for $86.

Brown’s box traveled by wagon, then railroad, steamboat, wagon again, another railroad, ferry, railroad, and finally delivery wagon. The journey lasted over 27 hours. Henry had a little water and ventilation holes, but despite the box’s label, workers handled it roughly, and several time he was put upside down. Nevertheless Henry always remained still and gave no indication that he was inside the box. After the long, cramped journey Henry Brown made it to freedom. One of those present when the box was opened remembered his first words: “How do you do,
gentlemen?” He then sang a psalm from the Bible chosen for this moment of liberation.

Henry dedicated the rest of his life to helping liberate other slaves and became a well-known speaker for the Anti-Slavery Society. He published two versions of his autobiography and later toured Britain for 10 years conducting a performance on slavery in America. At one time he was criticized by the abolitionist Fredrick Douglass, who wished Brown hadn’t shared so many details about his escape that may have helped others escape.

Did you know the Bible speaks of someone else who escaped slavery in a small container? “Jesus answered them, ‘Most assuredly, I say to you, whoever commits sin is a slave of sin’” (John 8:34). But was Christ a slave of sin? “For He made Him who knew no sin to be sin for us, that we might become the righteousness of God in Him” (2 Corinthians 5:21). Jesus took sin upon Himself and received the penalty of death. But the grave “box” could not hold Him. “I am He who lives, and was dead, and behold, I am alive forevermore. Amen. And I have the keys of Hades and
of Death” (Revelation 1:18).

If you are locked in the box of sin, Christ can set you free.

KEY BIBLE TEXTS
If the Son therefore shall make you free, ye shall be free indeed. John 8:36

(1) (Reply)

Is It A Sin To Pay Your Vows Instalmentally? / Complete Restoration! Redeemed Christian Church Of God Annual Congress. Dec 5-10 / The Person That Used My Picture For Wrong Prophecy Must Pay For It - Prophet

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.