Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,907 members, 7,824,801 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 05:43 PM

Your First Day On A Plane - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Your First Day On A Plane (8880 Views)

Poll: How many times have you been on a flying plane?

More than once.: 79% (141 votes)
Once.: 8% (15 votes)
Never!: 11% (21 votes)
This poll has ended

Lagos Plane Crash: List Of Passengers & Survivors / Boarding A Plane For The First Time (Your Experience) / Your First Day On A Plane (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Your First Day On A Plane by niceuzor: 3:06pm On Jan 03, 2007
Do u have anything to say on That

Your first day in plane how was is like?

Do share your experience.
Re: Your First Day On A Plane by Gamine(f): 1:13pm On Jan 06, 2007
i was six years old, cnt really remember, i luved the take off tho, still luv it,its the best part grin
Re: Your First Day On A Plane by 1forall: 2:22am On Jan 07, 2007
Big deal! do u remember your first day in a car?
Re: Your First Day On A Plane by eslynera(f): 11:56am On Jan 10, 2007
@Gamine, you cant' remember while you were six??
i cant remember, coz my furst flight was when i was only three, i remember the one when i was seven tho,
@1forol. nOw that's such a head bang. cheesy grin
Re: Your First Day On A Plane by iice(f): 4:48am On Jan 11, 2007
I was a baby my first flight, barely 1yr so i dont remember anything. But i love flying so anytime i can fly, i fly.
Re: Your First Day On A Plane by Gamine(f): 3:48pm On Jan 11, 2007
As in, i cnt really remember evrything, tht happened, i remember the take off part Which remains my best part and the food.
ive flown so many times,
Re: Your First Day On A Plane by niceuzor: 2:04pm On Jan 15, 2007
interesting
Re: Your First Day On A Plane by Busta(f): 4:16pm On Jan 15, 2007
I believe i was like 6-7 years old.

flew from abuja to lagos and as soon as the plane landed, I puked all over the place.

Pretty sure it was air sickness as the plane travelled under 30mins.

Very Scary

I believe the correct english should be;

"YOUR FIRST TIME ON A PLANE"
Re: Your First Day On A Plane by niceuzor: 12:56pm On Jan 16, 2007
@busta thanks 4 your correction,
i thought i want right by saying "In Plane" instead of "On A Plane"

But don't u think both of us are wrong.

"Your First Time In Plane"

Cheers.
Re: Your First Day On A Plane by English1(f): 4:26pm On Jan 16, 2007
'Your first time on a plane'

I was 13 years old and very excited about it. I still love flying and I always want a window seat for a good view. grin
Re: Your First Day On A Plane by dblock(m): 6:19am On Jan 19, 2007
My first flight was from Jos to lagos, there was pretty good food served on board wink
I think i was three or four
Re: Your First Day On A Plane by Frankies(m): 2:57pm On Jan 24, 2007
Believe it or not,I entered my first flight at the age of 26yrs. That day was so memorable.I even entered helicopter first before the actual plane. Though now i am a regular flier.But the experience was so lovely. I even had a headache that day due to over excitement.

Well, there must be a first time for every thing.
Re: Your First Day On A Plane by niceuzor: 4:20pm On Jan 24, 2007
@Frankies

Same xperience.
Re: Your First Day On A Plane by my2cents(m): 5:26pm On Jan 24, 2007
I can't remember my first day on a plane, but I do remember my first day on an int'l-bound plane (as an adult. The reason I say this will be apparent shortly) grin

I thought the protocol was different b/w domestic and int'l flights. It was October 1993. Still warm in Nigeria but without CNN, Internet, or any idea of what different temperatures felt like, etc, wetin man sabi? All I cared about was that I was going to represent naija to the fullest. I was wearing full-time agbada cool. I decided that, in order not to look dumb, I would do whatever the guy sitting next to me would do. In other words, if he didn't eat (not that I knew how to remove the food tray LOL), I would eat. If he didn't sleep, I would sleep. If he didn't use cutlery set, I wouldn't either. U shd hopefully b getting the picture here grin

Anyways, I was so naive that it got to the point where if the guy didn't put food in his mouth, I wouldn't either LOL. I didn't exactly stare at him, but was looking at him via peripheral vision. About midway through the flight, I guess the guy noticed me cos he just blurted out "I take it this is your first on an int'l flight?" The question's timing cdnt hv been more perfect cos at that moment, all the tension eased and I was back to my normal self LOL

Scene 2: Landing in europe, u cd imagine how cold and odd-looking I was, being the only one with basically cotton on, when others had heavy clothing/coats. I was rushing to the bathroom every 5 mins or so to splash hot water on my face. At first I cdnt even operate the tap. This was when the sensor thing was en vogue. So while trying to find out, I noticed that if I rubbed the tap a certain way, water would flow. You should have seen the look on my face when an oyibo came in and asked how to operate it. I told him proudly, "just rub the tap right here and the water will flow" LMAO. I was just telling myself "I don show oyibo today for im own country" LOL Upon arrival at my destination, I fell sick for the first 3 days.

Anyways, I will not bore you further. Needless to say, my first int'l trip as an adult is a story I will tell my kids/grandkids, etc etc.
Re: Your First Day On A Plane by neelsel(f): 8:28pm On Jan 24, 2007
I was too young to remember anything but my mom told me I was more relaxed than many adults.
Re: Your First Day On A Plane by Nobody: 8:43pm On Jan 24, 2007
roflmao,  grin, my first day on a plane? geez, y'all don't wanna knw, i was pretty old, not like folks who were barely a yr, 6 rs n all of that (n dn't even ask how old i was), suffice 2 say its been in recent times, and wait 4 it!was travelin wt this 'big boy' n was so nervous cuz i thot perchance he amongst other co-travellers would notice I was a first timer!!!Kept watching every body do d baggage check thing, even take the steps up the plane, hahaha, I was careful not to make any mistake that'l point to the fact i was a 'jjc' whr plane flights were concerned.Lol,

Anyway, i 'maintained' (using naija parlance) n twas fun, thanx 2 d 'big boy',  i did enjoy so many more plane flights that its bcum quite a way of life now, Lol.
Re: Your First Day On A Plane by doubletree(f): 8:53pm On Jan 24, 2007
I was 24.very old. hated take off and landing.
and still pray hard during take off and landing grin

went to naija from uk by ship in the 70's.was only 3.still remember seeing water,water,water,water,water everywhere-, scary

come to think of it I'm in my 30's and still learning to swim!( anyone know who I can sue for post traumatic stress disorder grin
Re: Your First Day On A Plane by software(m): 11:05pm On Jan 24, 2007
I cant rememeber my first day on a plane. All i can rememeber well is when the place crash occurrence got to a high level in Nigeria. I prayed seriously before i boarded. and while i was in the plane, i prayed and made sure i didnt commit any sin even inside the plane. Make Gos dey protect those wey dey enter plane like motor. its kinda scary these days.
Re: Your First Day On A Plane by Digiman(m): 12:33am On Jan 25, 2007
I don't memember much of my fist flight I was 6 or 7 back then, it was a 6 or 7 hour night flight from London to Lagos so I sept most of the time I do remember that when I woke up I there was a wet patch on my seat I must have pissed myself in my sleep grin, any way I also remember we stopped over in Ghana and I remember someone came on board with an oversized bucket and went to the back of the plane , then on his way back he passed me and there was this horribble stench , no prizes for guessing what was in the bucket , I must add those were the days when BA used to be known as BOAC, I'm showing my age here wink.

Anyway I have lost count of the number of flights since then but I love flying so much I have decided to get my PPL (Private Pilots license), I just need to find the time and 5K
Re: Your First Day On A Plane by Nobody: 2:29am On Jan 25, 2007
First flight was 5 yrs ago. Pretty cool and uneventful, i felt like i'd been flying for ages. Most intriguing part was seeing the aerial map as we flew all the way over Africa and into Europe and seeing the beautiful landscapes. The Mediteranean sea is huge!!!!!
And Mali must be one of the driest countries in the world!!! shocked For miles nothing but sand!

Ok worst day in flight was this month, pls NEVER fly if you have a bad cold with blocked sinuses! Landing is a huge horror especially with cabin decompression. My ear drums felt they were going to burst, the pain was so severe and i had blocked ears for a week. I couldnt even hear myself the first 2 days after that flight!

1 Like

Re: Your First Day On A Plane by showbobo(m): 6:44am On Jan 25, 2007
What about those that have never flown
Re: Your First Day On A Plane by showbobo(m): 6:50am On Jan 25, 2007
When i was in primary school we went to the airport on an excursion and we entered a plane.it seems it was a faulty plane cos it was just there in the hangar.we entered it and we were showed everywhere,pilot sit and so on and we were later told to sit down and use our sit belts that we were going to fly.We were all excited and curiuos after a while our teacher that was pretending to be the pilot came back to us and told us the plane had no more fuel, Gosh, We were all heartbroken grin grin grin
Re: Your First Day On A Plane by Nobody: 7:47am On Jan 25, 2007
showbobo:

we were later told to sit down and use our sit belts that we were going to fly.We were all excited and curiuos after a while our teacher that was pretending to be the pilot came back to us and told us the plane had no more fuel, Gosh, We were all heartbroken grin grin grin

grin grin grin grin grin grin that one pass disappointment!
Re: Your First Day On A Plane by Ndipe(m): 8:10am On Jan 25, 2007
I was a toddler, so I cant recall exactly what happened.

Travelling to Nigeria from the UK on a ship? How long did that last?
Re: Your First Day On A Plane by Ameriefan(f): 9:03am On Jan 25, 2007
been on it manytime but my fristtime
i want that scared cos people told me your fristtme is very scared
but i wasnt and it was just OK
Re: Your First Day On A Plane by gidig(m): 9:50am On Jan 25, 2007
The very first time, I was an adult. And was humble enough to tell the person I was taveling with that i was my first. she put me through everything.And really, you wouldnt have beenable to tell the difference between me and others who were regular fliers.

Besides, with air crashes every now and then in Naija, I am sure all of us had other things on our mind thousands on feet in the air at that speed.looking foward to my first international flight this year!
Re: Your First Day On A Plane by tukur2002n(m): 9:56am On Jan 25, 2007
i was just like anyother regular flyer's  cool but still have to think about plane crashes here and there u know. wink wink
Re: Your First Day On A Plane by choco4life(m): 10:18am On Jan 25, 2007
was adream come true.
Re: Your First Day On A Plane by SirKay3(m): 11:54am On Jan 25, 2007
Mine was a month after my wedding in 1996. Was on official duty to Escravos, my company's operational base in Delta State.

It was an AERO Contractor Dash 5 plane. It was prayer galore o. Had a window seat, though had to shut off my eyes cos of fear, inflight. The plane was so noisy, that when we finally landed, I disembarked with blocked ear.

Flown several times after that, each time it's still the usual prayer galore (had encountered storm inflight once WARRI-LAGOS route, it's traumatic). May God help us sha.

It's fun o, but na God
Re: Your First Day On A Plane by koinde(f): 12:13pm On Jan 25, 2007
cant remember my first tym.still not okay with taking off n landing so i make sure am chewing gum .
Re: Your First Day On A Plane by software(m): 2:26pm On Jan 25, 2007
re: koinde
can't remember my first time.still not okay with taking off n landing so i make sure am chewing gum .

Abeg my sister, na prayer make u dey fire o, during take off and landing. chewing gum will do nothing. Trust in God.

take care.
Safe!
Re: Your First Day On A Plane by Grouppoint(m): 3:45pm On Jan 25, 2007
I often wonder why people pray before take off and Landing.

Why dont you pray at the start of the year for all the flights you may take during the course of this year?
That way you'll not need to panic before or after take off.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

F1 Students In The USA Tips Guide Advice And Caution Thread / Difficulties Paying For 2years UK VISA Fees. / My Journey Across West Africa...from A Ghanaian Traveler

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.