Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,718 members, 7,816,963 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:24 PM

Nigeria 'may be' Ranked As 'high Risk' By Uk Biorder Agency. - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigeria 'may be' Ranked As 'high Risk' By Uk Biorder Agency. (8894 Views)

Deported Nigerians Paid £3000 By UK Boarder Agency But Money Was Seized / REFUSAL Of Visa And Seizure Of Passport By UK Embassy / Nigeria, Ghana, South Africa, China, India And Others Regarded As 'high Risk' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria 'may be' Ranked As 'high Risk' By Uk Biorder Agency. by justwise(m): 3:13pm On Feb 07, 2011
UK Border Agency is proposing to rank Nigeria and country like India as a 'higher risk' countries in terms of student visa.

Which this clip, start watching from 2.22.41, you can start from beginning if you like.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00yjw5n/Select_Committees_Student_Visas_and_Counter_Terrorism_Committee/
Re: Nigeria 'may be' Ranked As 'high Risk' By Uk Biorder Agency. by omega25red(m): 4:39pm On Feb 07, 2011
chai show don spoil be that all those trying to enter as student better get their papers in quick before that ranking happens
Re: Nigeria 'may be' Ranked As 'high Risk' By Uk Biorder Agency. by oyewolejos(m): 5:19pm On Feb 07, 2011
Good.
Nobody like them anyway so no big deal even if they close their embassy in Nigeria. They have turned the embassy into a business venture which is tax free. People who want quality education will have to look elsewhere.
UK aint all that
Re: Nigeria 'may be' Ranked As 'high Risk' By Uk Biorder Agency. by justwise(m): 6:00pm On Feb 07, 2011
oyewolejos:

Good.
Nobody like them anyway so no big deal even if they close their embassy in Nigeria. They have turned the embassy into a business venture which is tax free. People who want quality education will have to look elsewhere.
UK aint all that

I'm not sure about that, we Nigerians caused the whole thing, i'm worried that decent students might be affected if that proposal goes ahead.
Re: Nigeria 'may be' Ranked As 'high Risk' By Uk Biorder Agency. by justwise(m): 6:01pm On Feb 07, 2011
omega25red:

chai show don spoil be that all those trying to enter as student better get their papers in quick before that ranking happens

There will be a mad rush b4 i think the changes will come in b4 next admission season.
Re: Nigeria 'may be' Ranked As 'high Risk' By Uk Biorder Agency. by JeSoul(f): 6:04pm On Feb 07, 2011
I couldn't see the video. It says "unavailable in your area"  sad  wetin we do them for Boston now? lol.

Anyways,
justwise:

I'm not sure about that, we Nigerians caused the whole thing, i'm worried that decent students might be affected if that proposal goes ahead.
Decent students (and immigrants in general) are constantly suffering from the bad reputation the bad eggs are putting on everyone. That unfortunately is a harsh reality prospects have to deal with. We brought it on ourselves.
Re: Nigeria 'may be' Ranked As 'high Risk' By Uk Biorder Agency. by justwise(m): 6:10pm On Feb 07, 2011
JeSoul:

I couldn't see the video. It says "unavailable in your area" sad wetin we do them for Boston now? lol.

Anyways, Decent students (and immigrants in general) are constantly suffering from the bad reputation the bad eggs are putting on everyone. That unfortunately is a harsh reality prospects have to deal with. We brought it on ourselves.

Oh ok! that happens with many BBC video clips.

The UK Border Agency is proposing to rank Nigeria some other countries 'higher risk' as a result of abuse of student visa, in 2007 for example, many Nigerian students who were issued a student visa did not attend any course and some other immigration offences they mentioned
Re: Nigeria 'may be' Ranked As 'high Risk' By Uk Biorder Agency. by yommyuk: 5:16am On Feb 08, 2011
The term "COMPLIANCE" is not in the nigerian dictionary.
Re: Nigeria 'may be' Ranked As 'high Risk' By Uk Biorder Agency. by scopusng(m): 12:06pm On Feb 08, 2011
Is Uk better than Nigeria? see me see trouble, u cares.
Re: Nigeria 'may be' Ranked As 'high Risk' By Uk Biorder Agency. by hbrednic: 12:16pm On Feb 08, 2011
who bloody cares the UK education na for free
Re: Nigeria 'may be' Ranked As 'high Risk' By Uk Biorder Agency. by debosky(m): 12:21pm On Feb 08, 2011
There is no reason to be alarmed. Nigerians are already deemed high risk in practice so there will be little or no change to the actual processes you need to go through.

The difference will be felt by those countries deemed low risk, as the need to demonstrate you have funding for the intended course may be waived/relaxed. This relaxed regime will be primarily based on the history of other students from that country, majority of who have completed their studies and returned, unlike Nigerians.

Rushing through your student application will not make any difference - you will still be treated as high risk anyways. Anyone who has visited a British embassy outside of Nigeria will clearly see that the treatment in Nigeria is very different due to the high risk perception.
Re: Nigeria 'may be' Ranked As 'high Risk' By Uk Biorder Agency. by DonOsita(m): 12:31pm On Feb 08, 2011
If they think dat is the only way dem no sabi  grin
Re: Nigeria 'may be' Ranked As 'high Risk' By Uk Biorder Agency. by DGreatMan(m): 12:54pm On Feb 08, 2011
why?
Re: Nigeria 'may be' Ranked As 'high Risk' By Uk Biorder Agency. by beknown(m): 1:00pm On Feb 08, 2011
There is no need to panic about this.

If the UK carry out their threat, they will be shooting themselves in the foot.

Foreign students in the UK today are mostly Africans and Asians. Nigeria takes the greater share of student numbers from Africa. India takes the greater share of student numbers from Asia.

If the UK authorities cut visas to Nigerians and Indians, it will have knock-on effect on some colleges. Some colleges and even Universities may closedown.

The fees for foreign students keep increasing without control. Nigerian and Indian students are helping the UK with huge money pot for studies.

Time will tell because when Nigeria gets better, UK will not see many students from Nigeria anymore.
Re: Nigeria 'may be' Ranked As 'high Risk' By Uk Biorder Agency. by rasputinn(m): 1:02pm On Feb 08, 2011
DonOsita:

If they think dat is the only way dem no sabi grin

How do you mean??
Re: Nigeria 'may be' Ranked As 'high Risk' By Uk Biorder Agency. by Nobody: 1:03pm On Feb 08, 2011
Who wan go the country self? Poor people, stole my country money, come they use am proud, if no be our government, na you go wan come NIGERIA, with time sha
Re: Nigeria 'may be' Ranked As 'high Risk' By Uk Biorder Agency. by babaowo: 1:10pm On Feb 08, 2011
afterall they had increase the school fees,there are many better schools all over the world,we should start thinking for alternative now.
Re: Nigeria 'may be' Ranked As 'high Risk' By Uk Biorder Agency. by FBS: 1:11pm On Feb 08, 2011
Reducing net migration from 215000 to 100000 by 2015
Cutting students visa to what? zero?

What can I say? They are just not serious. People will look for alternatives wella.
Re: Nigeria 'may be' Ranked As 'high Risk' By Uk Biorder Agency. by debosky(m): 1:13pm On Feb 08, 2011
No need to cut to zero - even a 50,000 cut (and add on the dependants) will make a difference to their stats.
Re: Nigeria 'may be' Ranked As 'high Risk' By Uk Biorder Agency. by dremoney(m): 3:04pm On Feb 08, 2011
Now this thread is more like hyping UK to me.

It should have read, Good news - Nigerians can think of a better alternative.

Why people still flock here's because they dont believe when we tell them Uk is as good as been in Nigeria save constant power n security (but na dat one go build me solid crib for island?)

In the boom years,people lounge mainly on credit. House, furniture, car, school, phone, travel, even food na on credit card.

Now they are in recession, where the job?

screw them, who cares, mshew!!
Re: Nigeria 'may be' Ranked As 'high Risk' By Uk Biorder Agency. by segunjowo(m): 3:21pm On Feb 08, 2011
Na wa oooo
Re: Nigeria 'may be' Ranked As 'high Risk' By Uk Biorder Agency. by dremoney(m): 3:45pm On Feb 08, 2011
segunjowo:

Na wa oooo

hahahaha, abeg i fit put ur profile picture on my facebook page?

funny.
Re: Nigeria 'may be' Ranked As 'high Risk' By Uk Biorder Agency. by OJNSols: 4:18pm On Feb 08, 2011
beknown:

There is no need to panic about this.

If the UK carry out their threat, they will be shooting themselves in the foot.

Foreign students in the UK today are mostly Africans and Asians. Nigeria takes the greater share of student numbers from Africa. India takes the greater share of student numbers from Asia.

If the UK authorities cut visas to Nigerians and Indians, it will have knock-on effect on some colleges. Some colleges and even Universities may closedown.

The fees for foreign students keep increasing without control. Nigerian and Indian students are helping the UK with huge money pot for studies.

I have to agree with your analysis. This seems to be a kneejerk reaction by the coalition to tackle immigrants in the UK. Since they can not expel members of the EU, they are concentrating their efforts on non eea nationals.

Oh well, lets see what happens
Re: Nigeria 'may be' Ranked As 'high Risk' By Uk Biorder Agency. by tlops(m): 5:05pm On Feb 08, 2011
why are they threatened by nigerians & indians, I thought they were their best catch,
Re: Nigeria 'may be' Ranked As 'high Risk' By Uk Biorder Agency. by chamber2(m): 5:22pm On Feb 08, 2011
I can always get my British certificate from Malaysia or Singapore even at a lower cost because there are so many UK universities there .What will I be going to the UK to do? Everybody Uk,Uk!! University of Nottingham,University of Derby,University of Sunderland,Oxford Brooks etc all these schools are in Malaysia,Singapore and even S.Africa.You don't need to go to the Uk anymore for these certificates. For instance,accommodation in Malaysia is about $150 per month,tuition fee which people pay as high as 21,000 pounds per yr in the uk is only but 8,000-11,000 USD in Malaysia,Singapore or even S.Africa and at the end of the day you are issued the same certificate,and might even be more knowledgeable than someone who attended the main campus in the UK.

Also,i think its high time we started encouraging these universities to start opening up campuses in Nigeria,since our country is among the highest ''exporter'' of international students to the uk.Doing so,to my knowledge,will reduce cost both for the school,students and their parents, and maybe upon graduation they could go to the uk for their convocation ceremony.

This bad rush to the uk is becoming worrisome.
Re: Nigeria 'may be' Ranked As 'high Risk' By Uk Biorder Agency. by dancewith: 5:48pm On Feb 08, 2011
chamber2:

I can always get my British certificate from Malaysia or Singapore even at a lower cost because there are so many UK universities there .What will I be going to the UK to do? Everybody Uk,Uk!! University of Nottingham,University of Derby,University of Sunderland,Oxford Brooks etc all these schools are in Malaysia,Singapore and even S.Africa.You don't need to go to the Uk anymore for these certificates. For instance,accommodation in Malaysia is about $150 per month,tuition fee which people pay as high as 21,000 pounds per yr in the uk is only but 8,000-11,000 USD in Malaysia,Singapore or even S.Africa and at the end of the day you are issued the same certificate,and might even be more knowledgeable than someone who attended the main campus in the UK.

Also,i think its high time we started encouraging these universities to start opening up campuses in Nigeria,since our country is among the highest ''exporter'' of international students to the uk.Doing so,to my knowledge,will reduce cost both for the school,students and their parents, and maybe upon graduation they could go to the uk for their convocation ceremony.

Best post on the topic

Re: Nigeria 'may be' Ranked As 'high Risk' By Uk Biorder Agency. by boyt1: 6:36pm On Feb 08, 2011
All this Colonial Masters with their ratings, think Nigerians still clamour to enter UK, as China leads the world economy today, so will our potential students search for alternative.
you cant restrict a 9jarian.
Re: Nigeria 'may be' Ranked As 'high Risk' By Uk Biorder Agency. by Sammy107d(m): 7:40pm On Feb 08, 2011
boy t:

All this Colonial Masters with their ratings, think Nigerians still clamour to enter UK, as China leads the world economy today, so will our potential students search for alternative.
you cant restrict a 9jarian.

You got that right.
Re: Nigeria 'may be' Ranked As 'high Risk' By Uk Biorder Agency. by justwise(m): 8:07pm On Feb 08, 2011
chamber2:

I can always get my British certificate from Malaysia or Singapore even at a lower cost because there are so many UK universities there .What will I be going to the UK to do? Everybody Uk,Uk!! University of Nottingham,University of Derby,University of Sunderland,Oxford Brooks etc all these schools are in Malaysia,Singapore and even S.Africa.You don't need to go to the Uk anymore for these certificates. For instance,accommodation in Malaysia is about $150 per month,tuition fee which people pay as high as 21,000 pounds per yr in the uk is only but 8,000-11,000 USD in Malaysia,Singapore or even S.Africa and at the end of the day you are issued the same certificate,and might even be more knowledgeable than someone who attended the main campus in the UK.Also,i think its high time we started encouraging these universities to start opening up campuses in Nigeria,since our country is among the highest ''exporter'' of international students to the uk.Doing so,to my knowledge,will reduce cost both for the school,students and their parents, and maybe upon graduation they could go to the uk for their convocation ceremony.
Don't even get carried away with that, don't carry to compare cos u don't have the experience of both worlds.
Re: Nigeria 'may be' Ranked As 'high Risk' By Uk Biorder Agency. by justwise(m): 8:12pm On Feb 08, 2011
dremoney:

Now this thread is more like hyping UK to me.
It should have read, Good news - Nigerians can think of a better alternative.
Why people still flock here's because they dont believe when we tell them Uk is as good as been in Nigeria save constant power n security (but na dat one go build me solid crib for island?)

[b]In the boom years,people lounge mainly on credit. House, furniture, car, school, phone, travel, even food na on credit card.[/b]Now they are in recession, where the job?
screw them, who cares, mshew!!

Yes. . we dream the dream.
Re: Nigeria 'may be' Ranked As 'high Risk' By Uk Biorder Agency. by justwise(m): 8:14pm On Feb 08, 2011
debosky:

There is no reason to be alarmed. Nigerians are already deemed high risk in practice so there will be little or no change to the actual processes you need to go through.
The difference will be felt by those countries deemed low risk, as the need to demonstrate you have funding for the intended course may be waived/relaxed. This relaxed regime will be primarily based on the history of other students from that country, majority of who have completed their studies and returned, unlike Nigerians.
Rushing through your student application will not make any difference - you will still be treated as high risk anyways. Anyone who has visited a British embassy outside of Nigeria will clearly see that the treatment in Nigeria is very different due to the high risk perception.

Really have to agree with u. Sadly though i wish the case is different.
Re: Nigeria 'may be' Ranked As 'high Risk' By Uk Biorder Agency. by uwaifiokun: 8:32pm On Feb 08, 2011
Why are we alarmed.The UK is not better than nigeria in any thing,except for those who have not been there.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Uk Visa Application (advice Needed) / Lagos Development (Pictures). / First Nation Resumes Flight Operations

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.