Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,192 members, 7,818,633 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:19 PM

Factors To Consider When Buying / Renting A House - Comfortable Housing - Properties (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Factors To Consider When Buying / Renting A House - Comfortable Housing (19035 Views)

Renting A House? 5 Things To Consider / Cost Of Renting A 1 Bedroom Apartment In Abuja | Co-tenant / Cost Of Renting A 1 Bedroom Apartment In Lagos | Co-tenant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Factors To Consider When Buying / Renting A House - Comfortable Housing by Kenmatt(m): 7:29am On Nov 11, 2016
I will forward you guys my wealthy experience on this when I am less busy.

1 Like

Re: Factors To Consider When Buying / Renting A House - Comfortable Housing by Nobody: 7:32am On Nov 11, 2016
dangotesmummy:
its a two way thing. The issue is that if you buying land in Lagos and build a house in it you will still spend on transportation however at a reduced cost compared to living in ogun.fine you're right about ogun being relatively cheaper but it won't be cheaper at the long run when you have to be shuttling from ogun to Lagos every day of the week.do you know how much that will cost in a week or a month?

You and I know we live in an unpredictable society. Today there's fuel tomorrow there's fuel scarcity. How do you want to cope?traffic on ibafo redeem camp area nko?

The bottonline is you will spend more living in ogun on transportation and at the end of the day you'll see it's not worth it
You're right. I do not intend to commute from Ogun to Lagos everyday. My plan is to rent an apartment in Lagos while every money I get and a portion of my salary should go into building. I don't know if this makes good economic sense.

I have just gotten my housing allowance (2M) and I have been advised not to keep this money in the bank because of the time value of money - that every penny I get now should be invested into something, else the money will become useless due to inflation.

Now, I can't even acquire a plot in Lagos with that amount. The housing allowance I get comes every year. That means before I can acquire a plot in Lag, I'll have to save up for at least 10 years. After that 10 years, the prices would surely not be the same again as they were 10 years ago.

Now, the same amount of money could be used to acquire a plot in Ogun. With a sustainable 2M inflow every year. This money could be invested into the project and after some years, I'd have completed the building project.

What do you think?

1 Like

Re: Factors To Consider When Buying / Renting A House - Comfortable Housing by Tunmmyzhe: 7:33am On Nov 11, 2016
dangotesmummy:
its a two way thing. The issue is that if you buying land in Lagos and build a house in it you will still spend on transportation however at a reduced cost compared to living in ogun.fine you're right about ogun being relatively cheaper but it won't be cheaper at the long run when you have to be shuttling from ogun to Lagos every day of the week.do you know how much that will cost in a week or a month?

You and I know we live in an unpredictable society. Today there's fuel tomorrow there's fuel scarcity. How do you want to cope?traffic on ibafo redeem camp area nko?

The bottonline is you will spend more living in ogun on transportation and at the end of the day you'll see it's not worth it
bro u try but I don't support all o

I expect anybody that build house in Ogun state to have alternative plan for future o.

u can't be working for a company for the rest of your life

We moved to our house in Ogun state last year May. me and my hubby spend just 5% more in our transport compare to when we were living in a rented apartment in Lagos now.

I worked in Isolo while my hubby works in Ikeja

We paid #250k for apartment in Abule egba area, house maintainance is not added o. no freedom of speech as the house is not belongs to us o. we have to wait till 12pm if we r to take our car out the following morning because their is no parking space and u have to wait for the last person in the night so u can park at his back for your convienncy cos he won't answer u if u call him to come and shift his car while u r going out around 5 am.

1 Like

Re: Factors To Consider When Buying / Renting A House - Comfortable Housing by Nobody: 7:34am On Nov 11, 2016
Thepasserby:

Mehn I will disagree. 700K is a whole lot of cash. Just count your cost and see What's the most important thing. Everything in life comes with a sacrifice
Thanks. The kind of work I do is in Lagos. Hence, the reason why I still have to have a place of abode in lag. I hope you understand
Re: Factors To Consider When Buying / Renting A House - Comfortable Housing by Nobody: 7:36am On Nov 11, 2016
Thepasserby:

Mehn I will disagree. 700K is a whole lot of cash. Just count your cost and see What's the most important thing. Everything in life comes with a sacrifice

Thanks. The kind of work I do is in Lagos. Hence, the reason why I still have to have a place of abode in lag. I hope you understand
Re: Factors To Consider When Buying / Renting A House - Comfortable Housing by Blakjewelry(m): 7:38am On Nov 11, 2016
I think there is no better time than now to go into real Estate business since most people are selling of their properties to make ends meet

1 Like

Re: Factors To Consider When Buying / Renting A House - Comfortable Housing by Nobody: 7:38am On Nov 11, 2016
Tunmmyzhe:

we build in Ogun..ijoko precisely, and me and my hubby work in Lagos
The area is OK with at least 10hours electricity daily

is gud to be in ones house bro.
we spent like 4 million on the 2 bedroom flat and its easy to maintain.
I sent you a pm ma.
Re: Factors To Consider When Buying / Renting A House - Comfortable Housing by Nobody: 7:40am On Nov 11, 2016
saydfact:

700k is high, but depending on your income level thou. However if u can pay that high then u can afford a decent accommodation built somewhere decent too..
Yeah, my organization gives me housing allowance, but I'd be very foolish to use everything to pay rent.
in fact, my rule of thumb is that my rent must not exceed at most two month pay (Net).

2 Likes

Re: Factors To Consider When Buying / Renting A House - Comfortable Housing by saydfact(m): 7:41am On Nov 11, 2016
Blakjewelry:
I think there is no better time than now to go into real Estate business since most people are selling of their properties to make ends meet

That's what investors do, take advantage of recession and enjoy once it's over.... If you've got the cash, why not
Re: Factors To Consider When Buying / Renting A House - Comfortable Housing by dangotesmummy: 7:41am On Nov 11, 2016
Tunmmyzhe:

I expect anybody that build house in Ogun state to have alternative plan for future o.

We packed to our house in Ogun state last year May. me and my hubby spend just 5% more in our transport compare to when we were living in a rented apartment in Lagos now.

We paid #250k for apartment in Abule egba area, house maintainance is not added o. no freedom of speech as the house is not belongs to us o. we have to wait till 12pm if we r to take our car out the following morning because their is no par king space and u have to wait for the last person in the night so u can at his back for your convienncy cos he won't answer u if u call him to come and shift his car while u r going out around 5 am.
if you build a house in ogun of course you have to work out plan b before you die of stress and hypertension

The thing is if you already have your own house IN ogun just rent a small self contained in Lagos that is close to your work place or at least a trekking distance then you go to work on week days from your self contained house which shouldn't be a maximum of 100k.

Once it's Friday you can go to ogun to spend the weekend IN your house with your family but I'll also suggest you have a side buisness that is moving because of job insecurity. IF they sack you tomorrow or you're tired of the transportation stress you can see something to fall back On.meanwhile this is not a period any woman will be a full time housewife.she has go do something no matter how much money she's bringing home whether big or small

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Factors To Consider When Buying / Renting A House - Comfortable Housing by McTobe(m): 7:51am On Nov 11, 2016
saydfact:
[size=14pt]What is comfortable housing?[/size]

Lets pick our definition from the dictionary: 'That which shelters or covers' while comfort summarily is a 'state of quiet enjoyment'

Since this is not an English class (who would attempt teaching a 'guru' like you English anyway.... lol) lets give the major factors we consider necessary in choosing a comfortable housing.

1. LOCATION: The location of your house is important; as important as the kitchen is to the woman. By location we're referring to the street or as far as the local government area you plan to live in. 'Class' of people around you and their level of exposure must be similar to yours. A kid who grew up in the 'big' city suburb would find it difficult relocating as an adult to the slum areas. (No disrespect to this areas).

2. TYPE/SIZE OF HOUSING: Now that we have our location sorted out, what type of house are you trying to acquire / rent? You can argue that any 'big' house should do, once you can afford it, however if its important to factor in the size of your family. A bachelor who has no plan of marrying in years time but rents a 3 bedroom flat cannot be said to have a comfortable house, comfort is not sleeping in multiple rooms but a balance between what you get and what you eventually pay for it. Our aim here is to decide on a particular type of housing e.g 2 bedroom flat, duplex or a mini flat.

3. INTERNAL SPACES: It is common to find say 2-bedroom flats with rooms as small as say 2.1m by 2.4m, this bedroom space would hardly contain a standard 6 ft by 6ft bed, in such cases the purpose of acquiring a 2-bedroom flat has been forfeited as there would hardly be enough space for wardrobes and other stuffs intended for the bedroom. It is also important to ensure the rooms are well lit, ventilated and well spaced from adjoining properties. You would agree that our exercise in No2 is defeated if the internal spaces are far below standards obtainable.

4. COST: The last on our list is cost, how much am I paying for the house / space? The price paid should be relative to the value given, a duplex belonging to Mr A with standard rooms and decent finishing should cost more than an adjoining property belonging to Mr B on the same street with 'normal' finishing or less standard rooms and vice versa. It is possible to find to find Mr B price his property in-line with Mr A's cost; in such situation the house cannot be said to be comfortable 100% even when the that cost difference is overlooked.

Share your idea of a comfortable house with us using the comment box..
Culled from www.palmchatnow.com
Op nice as your writeup is I think it doesn't get the necessary contribution & reaction its meant to get. This is so because your writeup did not accomodate young graduates out there who just came out from school and other low & mid income earners who need such good advice too. Your writing in staged more like its for those well to do folks out there or those that consider themselves so, and considering that there are many young people on nairaland who are just early starters a writeup of this nature ought to have been written with all class of people in view if you are going to truly help them with your post. My humble opinion though.

3 Likes

Re: Factors To Consider When Buying / Renting A House - Comfortable Housing by dangotesmummy: 7:53am On Nov 11, 2016
ColonelDrake:

You're right. I do not intend to commute from Ogun to Lagos everyday. My plan is to rent an apartment in Lagos while every money I get and a portion of my salary should go into building. I don't know if this makes good economic sense.

I have just gotten my housing allowance (2M) and I have been advised not to keep this money in the bank because of the time value of money - that every penny I get now should be invested into something, else the money will become useless due to inflation.

Now, I can't even acquire a plot in Lagos with that amount. The housing allowance I get comes every year. That means before I can acquire a plot in Lag, I'll have to save up for at least 10 years. After that 10 years, the prices would surely not be the same again as they were 10 years ago.

Now, the same amount of money could be used to acquire a plot in Ogun. With a sustainable 2M inflow every year. This money could be invested into the project and after some years, I'd have completed the building project.

What do you think?
I suggest you buy a land and build a house ASAP.

Housing this days is a big asset and investment. Please buy a land and build a house to your taste.as the money keeps rolling IN YOU can furnish it to your taste then use the remaining change to invest IN a buisness of your choice you could open a saloon or barbers shop, ice block buisness, sport viewing centre, beer parlour or whatever buisness and please don't buy car.car is a liability that will be eating up your finances.cars are like babies.you have to keep spending everyday on them.the moment you stop something tragic happens that you begin to gulp times 2 of what you didn't spend earlier

Meanwhile get a cheap self contained in Lagos.pray and leave women alone. They're another version of dangerous liability that will never allow you to reap the rewards of your investments
Re: Factors To Consider When Buying / Renting A House - Comfortable Housing by saydfact(m): 7:53am On Nov 11, 2016
Tunmmyzhe:

We moved to our house in Ogun state last year May. me and my hubby spend just 5% more in our transport compare to when we were living in a rented apartment in Lagos now.

We paid #250k for apartment in Abule egba area, house maintainance is not added o. no freedom of speech as the house is not belongs to us o. we have to wait till 12pm if we r to take our car out the following morning because their is no parking space and u have to wait for the last person in the night so u can park at his back for your convienncy cos he won't answer u if u call him to come and shift his car while u r going out around 5 am.

It's not advisable to go rent apartment far away, if it's ur house better and part of a comfortable house is making sure u can park at ease before paying. U shd have considered all.
Re: Factors To Consider When Buying / Renting A House - Comfortable Housing by saydfact(m): 8:00am On Nov 11, 2016
ColonelDrake:
@ saydfact,

In terms of location, I'm looking at building a house in Ogun state. Although, I work in Lagos, but I believe I'll get more value for my money in Ogun state compared to Lagos. A plot of land in a typical Lagos mainland is hovering around 20 million. With this same amount, I can build a super structure in Ogun state.

Must the location where one choose to build a house have to be in proximity to where one works?

Please advise. Thanks

Building a house is planning for the future, pick a location easily accessible in Ogun state.. Remember, Ogun cld be as close as 1km to Lagos.

By the time your house is completed, u cld be working with ease or more flexible with time.

Don't go too remote, pick a location pple are already building too.

Thanks
Re: Factors To Consider When Buying / Renting A House - Comfortable Housing by saydfact(m): 8:07am On Nov 11, 2016
McTobe:
Op nice as your writeup is I think it doesn't get the necessary contribution & reaction its meant to get. This is so because your writeup did not accomodate young graduates out there who just came out from school and other low & mid income earners who need such good advice too. Your writing in staged more like its for those well to do folks out there or those that consider themselves so, and considering that there are many young people on nairaland who are just early starters a writeup of this nature ought to have been written with all class of people in view if you are going to truly help them with your post. My humble opinion though.

You spoke well, would research on one for those struggling to build or save money for building.. Thanks. I like your opinion.
Re: Factors To Consider When Buying / Renting A House - Comfortable Housing by McTobe(m): 8:11am On Nov 11, 2016
saydfact:

You spoke well, would research on one for those struggling to build or save money for building.. Thanks. I like your opinion.
thank u for your flexibility in understanding

1 Like

Re: Factors To Consider When Buying / Renting A House - Comfortable Housing by Nobody: 8:15am On Nov 11, 2016
dangotesmummy:
I suggest you buy a land and build a house ASAP.

Housing this days is a big asset and investment. Please buy a land and build a house to your taste.as the money keeps rolling IN YOU can furnish it to your taste then use the remaining change to invest IN a buisness of your choice you could open a saloon or barbers shop, ice block buisness, sport viewing centre, beer parlour or whatever buisness and please don't buy car.car is a liability that will be eating up your finances.cars are like babies.you have to keep spending everyday on them.the moment you stop something tragic happens that you begin to gulp times 2 of what you didn't spend earlier

Meanwhile get a cheap self contained in Lagos.pray and leave women alone. They're another version of dangerous liability that will never allow you to reap the rewards of your investments
Thanks a lot for your wonderful advice. It is well appreciated. I just came across the sport viewing centre business opportunity recently, and I'd like to discuss it with you offline.
Re: Factors To Consider When Buying / Renting A House - Comfortable Housing by saydfact(m): 8:19am On Nov 11, 2016
shark003:
Check out the facilities in the house,

Most especially the power holding bill, it might be frustrating seeing some accumulated figures which ain't explainable.

Wash hand basin and water closet... just to avoid additional expenses in calling plumber to change it

# shineyoureyes#

Nice point on the bill. My neighbor has 250k debt on his bill, imagine the next occupant of that apartment.. Won't be funny
Re: Factors To Consider When Buying / Renting A House - Comfortable Housing by Hman12(m): 8:23am On Nov 11, 2016
That's absolutely correct.

1 Like

Re: Factors To Consider When Buying / Renting A House - Comfortable Housing by dangotesmummy: 8:30am On Nov 11, 2016
ColonelDrake:

Thanks a lot for your wonderful advice. It is well appreciated. I just came across the sport viewing centre business opportunity recently, and I'd like to discuss it with you offline. If you don't mind, could you please hit me up - Just a flash would suffice, and I'll call back. thanks once again.
I'll soon be deleting my number. Thanks in anticipation.
YOU can take off your number now.

As for sport viewing centre. I'm a bit familiar with the buisness intricacies but I know it pays well.I remember I used to have a friend who was living beside a sport viewing centre and even though I wasn't intrested in their conversation (my friend and the owner of the sports viewing centre ) he used to tell my friend that if you want to open a sports viewing centre do something different that will attract more customers for example you can do a mini bar by the side of your sport viewing centre or suya/asun spot so while they're watching they can be buying beer OR asun.you Will make money both ways but the downsides is those customers fighting destroying your prop in the cause of the fight OR getting drunk. It's you that will know how you will put security measures in place to inhibit stuffs like that.

The reason I'm not intrested is 1.its a man's buisness that will attract more men of all classses
2.the buisness hazards are violence and destruction.I can't handle that. I'm a lady abeg
3.some who don't have money and want to ferment trouble
4.dealing with your staffs who want to cheat you

Have a nice day though. I've gotten your number and will flash you soon
Re: Factors To Consider When Buying / Renting A House - Comfortable Housing by Nobody: 8:35am On Nov 11, 2016
dangotesmummy:
YOU can take off your number now.

As for sport viewing centre. I'm a bit familiar with the buisness intricacies but I know it pays well.I remember I used to have a friend who was living beside a sport viewing centre and even though I wasn't intrested in their conversation (my friend and the owner of the sports viewing centre ) he used to tell my friend that if you want to open a sports viewing centre do something different that will attract more customers for example you can do a mini bar by the side of your sport viewing centre or suya/asun spot so while they're watching they can be buying beer OR asun.you Will make money both ways but the downsides is those customers fighting destroying your prop in the cause of the fight OR getting drunk. It's you that will know how you will put security measures in place to inhibit stuffs like that.

The reason I'm not intrested is 1.its a man's buisness that will attract more men of all classses
2.the buisness hazards are violence and destruction.I can't handle that. I'm a lady abeg
3.some who don't have money and want to ferment trouble
4.dealing with your staffs who want to cheat you

Have a nice day though. I've gotten your number and will flash you soon
Flash seen... thanks a lot
Kindly, modify your mention. My number appears there.
Thanks.
Re: Factors To Consider When Buying / Renting A House - Comfortable Housing by lakeside3020(m): 8:52am On Nov 11, 2016
find out the history of the house, good house, Ghost hunt, evil house ?very important
Re: Factors To Consider When Buying / Renting A House - Comfortable Housing by haryomikun(m): 8:57am On Nov 11, 2016
ColonelDrake:
@ saydfact,

In terms of location, I'm looking at building a house in Ogun state. Although, I work in Lagos, but I believe I'll get more value for my money in Ogun state compared to Lagos. A plot of land in a typical Lagos mainland is hovering around 20 million. With this same amount, I can build a super structure in Ogun state.

Must the location where one choose to build a house have to be in proximity to where one works?

Please advise. Thanks
Ota bro..... I can't say if land is still cheap there but its the best choice at least. You can easily move from ota to your workplace in Lagos easily

You could choose Abeokuta if you're intending to work in Ogun state. Traffic jam free and good paid jobs over there.

Lastly you can move to ijebu ode. Cheaper cost of land in ijebu than in Abeokuta or ota, its a city, low traffic jams. The only perk is its level of armed robbery and thuggery. Its a bit far from Lagos though
Re: Factors To Consider When Buying / Renting A House - Comfortable Housing by haryomikun(m): 9:08am On Nov 11, 2016
dangotesmummy:
ColonelDrake

Transportation from Ogun to Lagos isn't as expensive as you make it seem bro. From ota to oshodi is about 100-150. Its only when you're living in ijebu ode or Abeokuta. You'll have difficulty in shuttling to Lagos. My dad shuttles between VI and Sango ota everyday.

If he stays in ota, he won't have to worry about passing ibafo. He'll take the Lagos/Abeokuta expressway route. The Ibafo route can only be taken when he's staying at ijebu. Besides, if he doesn't want to deal with traffic at ibafo, he can pass through the shagamu-papalanto road... Although it's a far way from Lagos embarassed

It all depends on ColonelDrake sha.... My father always said though that he never regrets building his own house. Paying rent is something he's always hated.
Re: Factors To Consider When Buying / Renting A House - Comfortable Housing by Nobody: 9:32am On Nov 11, 2016
haryomikun:

Transportation from Ogun to Lagos isn't as expensive as you make it seem bro. From ota to oshodi is about 100-150. Its only when you're living in ijebu ode or Abeokuta. You'll have difficulty in shuttling to Lagos. My dad shuttles between VI and Sango ota everyday.

If he stays in ota, he won't have to worry about passing ibafo. He'll take the Lagos/Abeokuta expressway route. The Ibafo route can only be taken when he's staying at ijebu. Besides, if he doesn't want to deal with traffic at ibafo, he can pass through the shagamu-papalanto road... Although it's a far way from Lagos embarassed

It all depends on ColonelDrake sha.... My father always said though that he never regrets building his own house. Paying rent is something he's always hated.

Thank you for your submission.

Seems your dad and I have something in common. I hate to pay rent ehn...espcially in a state like Lagos.

I don't really care about the transportation cost but the stress I'd have to sustain everyday. The traffic on that Lagos-Abeokuta expressway can be something else. Going to work might not be in problem if one wakes up early, but coming back is really hectic. One could spend up to 3 hours on that road.

It won't be easy coming from ogun to lag everyday. Your dad shuttles between VI and Ota? Are you kidding me? How's your dad able to do this? The stress, the traffic et al.
I'd love to know cos this has been my greatest fear.

1 Like

Re: Factors To Consider When Buying / Renting A House - Comfortable Housing by MrMr(m): 9:47am On Nov 11, 2016
can anyone link me wit a registered estate surveyor and valuer where I can start my career and actually practice my profession. thnks in anticipation....
Re: Factors To Consider When Buying / Renting A House - Comfortable Housing by saydfact(m): 10:01am On Nov 11, 2016
MrMr:
can anyone link me wit a registered estate surveyor and valuer where I can start my career and actually practice my profession. thnks in anticipation....

I guess you're referring to employment?
Re: Factors To Consider When Buying / Renting A House - Comfortable Housing by Nobody: 10:20am On Nov 11, 2016
availability of light and water are two key factors. if u got a wide array of options, safety of the environment comes into consideration

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Factors To Consider When Buying / Renting A House - Comfortable Housing by dangotesmummy: 10:26am On Nov 11, 2016
haryomikun:

I'm not saying he should be a permanent tenant but then he should weigh his costs and consider those factors I listed.besides costs of transportation can skyrocket at anytime. Afterall we're all in this country together where everything is getting more expensive
Re: Factors To Consider When Buying / Renting A House - Comfortable Housing by gameboyo: 10:28am On Nov 11, 2016
paulo220:
Road should also be another factor to consider..

Adequate power supply should also be considered....

These are much better factor than most stated by the op. A little to add here is finding out landlord - tenant relationship through occupant
Re: Factors To Consider When Buying / Renting A House - Comfortable Housing by Tunmmyzhe: 10:29am On Nov 11, 2016
ColonelDrake:
I sent you a pm ma.
sorry bro I don't understand this pm thing

u can sent me mail moscobabs8@gmail.com
Re: Factors To Consider When Buying / Renting A House - Comfortable Housing by dangotesmummy: 10:29am On Nov 11, 2016
ColonelDrake:

Flash seen... thanks a lot
Kindly, modify your mention. My number appears there.
Thanks.
done

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Fire Consumes Part Of Newly Built Block Of Flats In East London (Photos) / Residential Building On Fire In Ojota Area Of Lagos - Pictured / Construction Of Mini Bakery/ Office Space By Rotech77

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 130
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.