Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,459 members, 7,819,670 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:29 PM

Oba Dosunmu: I Refused To Do Any Ritual Before Wearing The Crown - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Oba Dosunmu: I Refused To Do Any Ritual Before Wearing The Crown (24201 Views)

Ooni Of Ife Performs Ritual Before Boarding Arik Airplane (video) / "Benin People Owned Lagos, Aworis Paid Royalties To Them" — Erelu Abiola Dosunmu / Ezelekhae Ewuare: The Crown Prince Of Benin Kingdom Unveiled In Edo (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Oba Dosunmu: I Refused To Do Any Ritual Before Wearing The Crown by TheFreeOne: 8:55am On Nov 05, 2016
Every day these son of Jesus obas keeps relegating our culture and tradition to the background all in the name of Christianity.

Na dem dey give those Edo people mouth to yab Yoruba obas.

I hope Yoruba cultures and traditions won't become extinct with these sets of guys on the throne...SMH.

2 Likes

Re: Oba Dosunmu: I Refused To Do Any Ritual Before Wearing The Crown by Nobody: 9:03am On Nov 05, 2016
kodded:
what kind of tradition support the killing of innocent people for sacrifice and to appease the gods undecided
it boggles the mind! I guess they are in support because it may not be their family members who could be sarcrified. Archaic, ignorant and backward fools, same way nigerians were killing tweens babies those days in the name of ritual. These days every nigerian is praying to have tween babies.
Re: Oba Dosunmu: I Refused To Do Any Ritual Before Wearing The Crown by Eleniyan15: 9:04am On Nov 05, 2016
MY KING

1 Like

Re: Oba Dosunmu: I Refused To Do Any Ritual Before Wearing The Crown by kodded(m): 9:07am On Nov 05, 2016
gypsey:
it boggles the mind! I guess they are in support because it may not be their family members who could be sarcrified. Archaic, ignorant and backward fools, same way nigerians were killing tweens babies those days in the name of ritual. These days every nigerian is praying to have tween babies.
my dear don't mind them, most of them are ignorant

they don't know what is going on behind every coronation and festival
Re: Oba Dosunmu: I Refused To Do Any Ritual Before Wearing The Crown by Nobody: 9:08am On Nov 05, 2016
kingobozy:
Yimu of life undecided undecided.. we all know that from time immemorial, accession to the throne of your father s require spilling of innocent virgin blood and other cannibalistic practices..
what?! shocked that sounds barbaric to the core, i mean, who could this innocent virgin be? Some one else child i guess. These peoples should be in prison. angry

1 Like

Re: Oba Dosunmu: I Refused To Do Any Ritual Before Wearing The Crown by Nobody: 9:13am On Nov 05, 2016
kodded:
my dear don't mind them, most of them are ignorant

they don't know what is going on behind every coronation and festival
true! Perhaps they should also give up their iphones and laptops which i believe they are typing this nonesense from, and go back and live nakid in the forest. In the name of tradition
Re: Oba Dosunmu: I Refused To Do Any Ritual Before Wearing The Crown by Nobody: 9:20am On Nov 05, 2016
aariwa:
So continuing with the the traditions of our fore fathers is now considered a ritual because the white man says so
perhaps you should not be using your laptop and smartphones because white men made it, and oh! Stop speaking and writing in the white man's language too.

go back and live in the forest nakid and continue your so called tradition of killing tween and triplets babies, or killing virgin girls for sarcrifice angry.

1 Like

Re: Oba Dosunmu: I Refused To Do Any Ritual Before Wearing The Crown by peaceonearth(m): 9:21am On Nov 05, 2016
kodded:
what kind of tradition support the killing of innocent people for sacrifice and to appease the gods undecided

The human sacrifice sentiment is one of the points that allows the brainwashing to sink. Let's face it. Yes humans were sacrificed in the past and that wasn't peculiar to Africa (the Bible told us Christ was sacrificed, so don't let us turn a blind eye to that. He was human too). Slavery was the main thing that encouraged that. The essence of sacrifice is to let go of your valuable possessions in order to protect yourself or appease the gods. People then saw slaves as one of such possessions and not as fellow humans. However as society evolved, slavery was abolished and human sacrifice abolished as well following the admonishing of Ifa that 'Bi a se bi eru, la bi omo'. Any Abore (Chief Priest) in Yorubaland asking you to bring Human head for royal or whatever sacrifice is doing his own bidding (probably needs the parts for personal rituals) and should be reported immediately. I can say that categorically because I have inside information. Human sacrifice is a thing of the past in Yoruba tradition.

7 Likes

Re: Oba Dosunmu: I Refused To Do Any Ritual Before Wearing The Crown by PAGAN9JA(m): 9:33am On Nov 05, 2016
gypsey:
perhaps you should not be using your laptop and smartphones because white men made it, and oh! Stop speaking and writing in the white man's language too.

go back and live in the forest nakid and continue your so called tradition of killing tween and triplets babies, or killing virgin girls for sarcrifice angry.

continue your tradition of fvckjng young boys like a pedopjile in church .sick fool.

slavery has not been wiped out.

2 Likes

Re: Oba Dosunmu: I Refused To Do Any Ritual Before Wearing The Crown by Padipadi(m): 9:43am On Nov 05, 2016
aariwa:
So continuing with the the traditions of our fore fathers is now considered a ritual because the white man says so
the man even answered the ritual questions diplomatically.
I think He lied. He took the real ritual like incisions, eating the previous King's heart etc.
Re: Oba Dosunmu: I Refused To Do Any Ritual Before Wearing The Crown by samtee37(m): 9:47am On Nov 05, 2016
What is all this now... .. Baba., Abeg go siddon

Re: Oba Dosunmu: I Refused To Do Any Ritual Before Wearing The Crown by Emperormartin(m): 9:50am On Nov 05, 2016
[quote author=peaceonearth post=50780232]

The human sacrifice sentiment is one of the points that allows the brainwashing to sink. Let's face it. Yes humans were sacrificed in the past and that wasn't peculiar to Africa (the Bible told us Christ was sacrificed, so don't let us turn a blind eye to that. He was human too). Slavery was the main thing that encouraged that. The essence of sacrifice is to let go of your valuable possessions in order to protect yourself or appease the gods. People then saw slaves as one of such possessions and not as fellow humans. However as society evolved, slavery was abolished and human sacrifice abolished as well following the admonishing of Ifa that 'Bi a se bi eru, la bi omo'. Any Abore (Chief Priest) in Yorubaland asking you to bring Human head for royal or whatever sacrifice is doing his own bidding (probably needs the parts for personal rituals) and should be reported immediately. I can say that categorically because I have inside information. Human sacrifice is a thing of the past in Yoruba tradition. You're grounded bro
Re: Oba Dosunmu: I Refused To Do Any Ritual Before Wearing The Crown by fabulousdora(f): 9:51am On Nov 05, 2016
So you refer to God as an imported God....I pirry you
xnsandrxns:
Most people didn't even bother reading the interview.
I just wonder why people that are supposed to be the custodians of the great Yoruba culture and tradition neglect it for foreign gods.
Dropping your tradition for imported ones is not smart
Re: Oba Dosunmu: I Refused To Do Any Ritual Before Wearing The Crown by lightblazingnow(m): 10:00am On Nov 05, 2016
GoldenJAT:
very intelligent man!apt and concise answers.

Love this King forever
Re: Oba Dosunmu: I Refused To Do Any Ritual Before Wearing The Crown by lightblazingnow(m): 10:01am On Nov 05, 2016
Pavore9:
Insightful read.

Great mind greatness King
Re: Oba Dosunmu: I Refused To Do Any Ritual Before Wearing The Crown by lightblazingnow(m): 10:02am On Nov 05, 2016
peaceonearth:
Embarassing to say the least.
The rituals were for your own good. We've heard cases of criminals kidnapping Obas or robbers/assassins shooting Obas successfully. The rituals are to turn you to the actual 'Alase, ekeji Orisa' and fortify you spiritually against all forms of spiritual/physical attacks.

Before Colonisation, we the Yorubas had our own successful system of governance. In that system, the Oba is the Head of government, Head of State and Commandar-in-chief of the armed forces. He and his 'Ijoyes' form the Executives. The Ogbonis represented the Judicial arm. Incidentally, the Owu people (the people this Oba now represents) started the first Legislative arm known as 'Igbimo' where ordinary citizens are allowed to contribute to National issues in a parliamentary arrangement.

The Ibadan people have a more sophisticated system that combines Executive, Judiciary and Legistlature in a single body that evolved into what is now known as Olubadan Council.

We had our own civilisation. Colonisation and religious brainwashing denied us the opportunity of developing the inventions and gains of our forefathers. What is now practiced as democracy today was an ancient greek philosophy, refined and reformed continuously till it emerged as a system acceptable to all. If we had reformed and refined our primordial system of governance, instead of rubishing it like we like to do, perhaps we would have escaped the ill-luck of corrupt and inept leadership that remains the single bane to our national development.

Ask for understanding dear. You far, too far from the truth
Re: Oba Dosunmu: I Refused To Do Any Ritual Before Wearing The Crown by xnsandrxns: 10:09am On Nov 05, 2016
fabulousdora:
So you refer to God as an imported God....I pirry you
Pirry yourself ma
Re: Oba Dosunmu: I Refused To Do Any Ritual Before Wearing The Crown by peaceonearth(m): 10:22am On Nov 05, 2016
lightblazingnow:

Ask for understanding dear. You far, too far from the truth

Which truth are you talking about? The actual truth, the rumoured truth or the 'truth' of those who twist history for selfish reasons? I won't pretend to know it all but I know more about my past as an African than the average African youth. The truth is there for those who seek it.
Re: Oba Dosunmu: I Refused To Do Any Ritual Before Wearing The Crown by macof(m): 10:25am On Nov 05, 2016
gypsey:

fela, chinua achebe, Soyinka are all archaic, ignorant, backward fools? is your father as intelligent or exposed as any of these men?
iidiots like you will never use your head, slave mentality has drained your brain. so quick to believe every bad report about your people. ..you are the ignorant one here, to think Yoruba coronation is about killing people... Iidiots like you don't know their history. ..you probably don't even know a thing about your great grandfather, but will tell the history of arabs and Jews like it's your business

here's a dunce calling people ignorant, calabar people killed twins out of lack of understanding of the biology behind it and the belief ( probably through experience) of having one twin turning out bad in society. .they sought to protect the society by killing the twins since they didn't know which will turn bad. Chiefs also took advantage of the situation .. calabar not all Nigerians
the yoruba are known to revere twins, twins are sacred and venerated not killed in Yoruba traditions

300 years ago europeans were still dining on real human flesh, morons like you will never talk about that

4 Likes

Re: Oba Dosunmu: I Refused To Do Any Ritual Before Wearing The Crown by Nobody: 10:25am On Nov 05, 2016
PAGAN9JA:

continue your tradition of fvckjng young boys like a pedopjile in church .sick fool.

slavery has not been wiped out.
yes! The same way you have been fuvcked in your ass! Otherwise how did you know that young boys are been fuvked in the church?, because they fuvcked you too, did you enjoy it? Fool! angry

Why direct your fuvking anger at me?! It wasn't me who fuvked you in the ass! angry now fuvk! Off!
Re: Oba Dosunmu: I Refused To Do Any Ritual Before Wearing The Crown by Nobody: 10:26am On Nov 05, 2016
Nothing makes me cringe these days as much as seeing Africans "display" their religiosity lipsrsealed. Have you ever seen an African saying, "oh the whiteman has left the ways of God and we blacks are the ones keeping faith alive/saving the world from damnation!? cheesy...SMH

That man is supposed to be a true custodian of tradition and heritage...why is he sabotaging it? Tragic. It would have been more respectable refusing the post/title...guessing it must have its perks eh? .....I have been so proud of the Yorubas for being the strongest adherents of their beliefs and tradition, (more than my people and some other people who even resort to taking matters into their own hands, for religion's sake, sigh)...and now this crowned one comes to say this! angry

The world would never respect a people without their own philosophies. How can it know what you are really about when you troll and parrot other peoples' beliefs and customs to the detriment/abandonment of your own!? How do we not see this? You can be anything or Christian (not much choice here..what with having being colonised and liberated and all lipsrsealed undecided) ...but one must be that without the unnecessary and ignorant denigration of the laws of the land where they will always be from...where their ancestors lived...where they will always belong to even with ten foreign passports and living in foreign lands forever.
@ topic? Just return the crown already angry
SMH @ us
(praying for emancipation from mental slavery)

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oba Dosunmu: I Refused To Do Any Ritual Before Wearing The Crown by macof(m): 10:27am On Nov 05, 2016
gypsey:
true! Perhaps they should also give up their iphones and laptops which i believe they are typing this nonesense from, and go back and live nakid in the forest. In the name of tradition

another idiota who thinks yoruba tradition is about living in forests roaming naked
Re: Oba Dosunmu: I Refused To Do Any Ritual Before Wearing The Crown by Nobody: 10:31am On Nov 05, 2016
macof:

fela, chinua achebe, Soyinka are all archaic, ignorant, backward fools? is your father as intelligent or exposed as any of these men?
iidiots like you will never use your head, slave mentality has drained your brain. so quick to believe every bad report about your people. ..you are the ignorant one here, to think Yoruba coronation is about killing people... Iidiots like you don't know their history. ..you probably don't even know a thing about your great grandfather, but will tell the history of arabs and Jews like it's your business

here's a dunce calling people ignorant, calabar people killed twins out of lack of understanding of the biology behind it and the belief ( probably through experience) of having one twin turning out bad in society. .they sought to protect the society by killing the twins since they didn't know which will turn bad. Chiefs also took advantage of the situation .. calabar not all Nigerians
the yoruba are known to revere twins, twins are sacred and venerated not killed in Yoruba traditions

300 years ago europeans were still dining on real human flesh, morons like you will never talk about that
thanks for all the insults shows how sad your life is, anyway just because some things was done in ignorance, in your own words, the same word (ignorant)which you accused of using, should people then carry on with that tradition of ignorance? When will it stop? grin white people dined in human flesh 300 years ago , if you say so, but i believe that inhumane tradition no more exist, unlike the tradition which you would like to carry on, and if the tradition is so Good why did the oba refused it?

3 Likes

Re: Oba Dosunmu: I Refused To Do Any Ritual Before Wearing The Crown by macof(m): 10:32am On Nov 05, 2016
gypsey:

this one has a fried brain. oh africa! the dying continent.

1 Like

Re: Oba Dosunmu: I Refused To Do Any Ritual Before Wearing The Crown by Nobody: 10:36am On Nov 05, 2016
macof:

this one has a fried brain. oh africa! the dying continent.
i made my opinion you do not have to agree grin
Re: Oba Dosunmu: I Refused To Do Any Ritual Before Wearing The Crown by kodded(m): 10:38am On Nov 05, 2016
gypsey:
my brother thier hypocrisy stinks like a rotten dead rat

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oba Dosunmu: I Refused To Do Any Ritual Before Wearing The Crown by macof(m): 10:38am On Nov 05, 2016
gypsey:
thanks for all the insults shows how sad your life is, anyway just because some things was done in ignorance, in your own words, the same word (ignorant)which you accused of using, should people then carry on with that tradition of ignorance? When will it stop? grin

I don't see it as insult but honest description of you from the comments you post. it's only a moronic african not to mention a bastard that will say the things you say.

your European masters were eating real human flesh 300 years ago. answer to that and stop talking about calabar people killing twins in the past... .. in fact what's worse is that, you tag the killing of twins to all Nigerian ethnicities
shows how ignorant of Nigeria you are

2 Likes

Re: Oba Dosunmu: I Refused To Do Any Ritual Before Wearing The Crown by Smooyis(m): 10:39am On Nov 05, 2016
What a great king leader and pacesetter of our time. As an African, Nigerian, yoruba, am indeed proud of our culture. But not all these cultural practices are good. As new generation citizens, we should be able to draw a line between good culture and bad culture.

Many decent and Godly people have rejected to serve their people either in politics, royalty and a host of others just because of the rituals they have to go through. Must we continue to deny such great people the opportunity of serving their people just because we want to hold on to one archaic and retrogressive culture.

The Oba Owu has bared it opened finally. The question should always be what are the reasons for those rituals, are there alternative ways out, are there superior arguments against such rituals? Has there been any developments or progress from the age long rituals of our forefathers. Why must we hold on to something that cannot prosper us? Why must we be so proud to hold on to such cultural practice just because we want to preserve the way things are done as of old? How many of the Kingmakers, or ritualists are still living by the old way of life? Let's stop deceiving ourselves. Our forefathers worshipped idols that did more harm than good. And the king here is saying No.

The earlier responses by majority of nairalanders on this thread have shown to me clearly why Nigeria and many of us we are not progressing despite the fact that we are either Christians or Muslims.

Kudos to the king. May he live long and rule with righteousness on the throne. He has chosen to live by what he believes. I pray God will justify him and grant him a successful reign.

1 Like

Re: Oba Dosunmu: I Refused To Do Any Ritual Before Wearing The Crown by Nobody: 10:40am On Nov 05, 2016
macof:

another idiota who thinks yoruba tradition is about living in forests roaming naked

no need to be hysterical and obnoxiuos grin yes! That's what i think. Why not educate me instead of insults?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Chinua Achebe To Be Buried At Night / The Power The Oba Of Benin Wield In The Past / How Many Language Do Nigeria Have And Can You Name Your Language?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.