Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,029 members, 7,818,039 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:48 AM

Oba Dosunmu: I Refused To Do Any Ritual Before Wearing The Crown - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Oba Dosunmu: I Refused To Do Any Ritual Before Wearing The Crown (24196 Views)

Ooni Of Ife Performs Ritual Before Boarding Arik Airplane (video) / "Benin People Owned Lagos, Aworis Paid Royalties To Them" — Erelu Abiola Dosunmu / Ezelekhae Ewuare: The Crown Prince Of Benin Kingdom Unveiled In Edo (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Oba Dosunmu: I Refused To Do Any Ritual Before Wearing The Crown by Nobody: 10:46am On Nov 05, 2016
macof:

I don't see it as insult but honest description of you from the comments you post. it's only a moronic african not to mention a bastard that will say the things you say.

your European masters were eating real human flesh 300 years ago. answer to that and stop talking about calabar people killing twins in the past... .. in fact what's worse is that, you tag the killing of twins to all Nigerian ethnicities
shows how ignorant of Nigeria you are
you did not answer my questions, rather you carry on hysterically grin, white people dined in human flesh 300 years ago, if you say so, dude! that was 300 years ago! I believe it's not happening today. And why did the OBA refused the traditional rituals if it is not diabolical in his believe?
I am a barstad? The way you throw insults man! You need to calm down! grin why take it so personal i don't even know you.
It is my opinions afterall
Re: Oba Dosunmu: I Refused To Do Any Ritual Before Wearing The Crown by kodded(m): 10:50am On Nov 05, 2016
[s]
peaceonearth:

The human sacrifice sentiment is one of the points that allows the brainwashing to sink. Let's face it. Yes humans were sacrificed in the past and that wasn't peculiar to Africa (the Bible told us Christ was sacrificed, so don't let us turn a blind eye to that. He was human too). Slavery was the main thing that encouraged that. The essence of sacrifice is to let go of your valuable possessions in order to protect yourself or appease the gods. People then saw slaves as one of such possessions and not as fellow humans. However as society evolved, slavery was abolished and human sacrifice abolished as well following the admonishing of Ifa that 'Bi a se bi eru, la bi omo'. Any Abore (Chief Priest) in Yorubaland asking you to bring Human head for royal or whatever sacrifice is doing his own bidding (probably needs the parts for personal rituals) and should be reported immediately. I can say that categorically because I have inside information. Human sacrifice is a thing of the past in Yoruba tradition.
[/s]

can you explain about the famous "Abobaku of Ile Ife" that supposed to die along side the late Ooni Of Ife. ?

keep supporting a barbaric act until they use someone close to you as a sacrifice

what about this other news, kindly explain it too
https://www.nairaland.com/155234/dead-corps-member-found-oba
mtcgewwwww angry
Re: Oba Dosunmu: I Refused To Do Any Ritual Before Wearing The Crown by OlaoChi: 10:57am On Nov 05, 2016
kodded:

can you explain about the famous "Abobaku of Ile Ife" that supposed to die along side the late Ooni Of Ife. ?

keep supporting a barbaric act until they use someone close to you as a sacrifice

mtcgewwwww angry

grin grin grin so this one didn't know that the abobaku tale was a joke? a very bad one at that.
there's no such thing as abobaku in Ife

cheesy cheesy so they will kidnap somebody, kill him for rituals and dump his body in an open shrine? if you believe that story you will believe anything

1 Like

Re: Oba Dosunmu: I Refused To Do Any Ritual Before Wearing The Crown by kodded(m): 11:01am On Nov 05, 2016
OlaoChi:

grin grin grin so this one didn't know that the abobaku tale was a joke? a very bad one at that.
there's no such thing as abobaku in Ife
and what about this other news, kindly explain it

https://www.nairaland.com/155234/dead-corps-member-
found-oba
Re: Oba Dosunmu: I Refused To Do Any Ritual Before Wearing The Crown by Nobody: 11:03am On Nov 05, 2016
merahki:
Nothing makes me cringe these days as much as seeing Africans "display" their religiosity lipsrsealed. Have you ever seen an African saying, "oh the whiteman has left the ways of God and we blacks are the ones keeping faith alive/saving the world from damnation!? cheesy...SMH

That man is supposed to be a true custodian of tradition and heritage...why is he sabotaging it? Tragic. It would have been more respectable refusing the post/title...guessing it must have its perks eh? .....I have been so proud of the Yorubas for being the strongest adherents of their beliefs and tradition, (more than my people and some other people who even resort to taking matters into their own hands, for religion's sake, sigh)...and now this crowned one comes to say this! angry

The world would never respect a people without their own philosophies. How can it know what you are really about when you troll and parrot other peoples' beliefs and customs to the detriment/abandonment of your own!? How do we not see this? You can be anything or Christian (not much choice here..what with having being colonised and liberated and all lipsrsealed undecided) ...but one must be that without the unnecessary and ignorant denigration of the laws of the land where they will always be from...where their ancestors lived...where they will always belong to even with ten foreign passports and living in foreign lands forever.
@ topic? Just return the crown already angry
SMH @ us
(praying for emancipation from mental slavery)
makes sense, and that is were hyporcrisy comes to mind, we africans are all guilty of hyporcrisy. Picking and choosing when and on what white men's lifestyles or traditions to follow. Why don't we then stick to worshipping idols? Rather than arabs/white religion.

we all wants to live/act like white people in every thing we do, even speak and write in their languages? But when it comes to certain issues like traditions we remember that we are africans.
Re: Oba Dosunmu: I Refused To Do Any Ritual Before Wearing The Crown by Nobody: 11:10am On Nov 05, 2016
Nigerians are hyporcrites! That's all! grin
Re: Oba Dosunmu: I Refused To Do Any Ritual Before Wearing The Crown by ghettowriter(m): 11:16am On Nov 05, 2016
Dear Sir, i give you my maximum respect for just this piece of interview. Your answers were very concise and enlightening.

May Your Days be Long!!
May all your enemies fall at your feet!!

Great Oba Dosunmu!
Re: Oba Dosunmu: I Refused To Do Any Ritual Before Wearing The Crown by OlaoChi: 11:19am On Nov 05, 2016
kodded:

and what about this other news, kindly explain it

https://www.nairaland.com/155234/dead-corps-member-
found-oba

read my last post again.

there are many people slandering traditional practices in Africa, the same way newspapers and social media talked about abobaku in Ife and the lies of murders during oro, you need to examine stories like this.
a boy usually jumps the fence to pluck mango fruits grin at the edge of a shrine undecided that's wouldn't have been allowed by the palace all this while, if the report had stated that was his first time maybe we could consider it credible. Also traditions are very clear way of doing things by a group of people. it has never been traditional to kill a random person. In the past, slaves were used. At the abolition of slavery such sacrifices went with it . ..an Oba should know that. . anything otherwise is not backed by tradition of any time in history, you must also realize that traditions evolve

1 Like

Re: Oba Dosunmu: I Refused To Do Any Ritual Before Wearing The Crown by peaceonearth(m): 11:51am On Nov 05, 2016
kodded:

mtcgewwwww angry

The tale of Abobaku is real. Like I said earlier, human sacrifice was practiced in the past. If you understand the Yoruba belief system of life after death, you will understand why some people felt an Oba should have a 'helper' in his journey through the ethereal realm. However, as new knowledge and understanding of life after death emerged through Ifa, the concept of 'Abobaku' was dropped.

As for news of the Onitire shared above, that's very unfortunate. The fact that the information leaked goes to show that the people are against it. Tradition is all about the people and it is the people that make it what they want through divine guidance, reason and essentials of a contemporary society. It is what you agree to give the gods (Orisa) that they will demand from you (those who have a deep knowledge of our traditional religion will know what I'm talking about). That is why the custodians of the Orisas were able to abolish human sacrifice. However, there are sadly some areas in Yorubaland where some of these barbaric practices of human sacrifice are still existing. When you look closely at the practice there, you will discover that those championing it belong to evil cults requiring human parts for rituals. Their victims are not used to appease any god but as 'ingredients' for their evil concoction, mostly money rituals. The International Council for Ifa Religion has been preaching against this for years. However, just like you have bad eggs in other religions and traditions, traditional religion has its own fair share of bad eggs too. As it will be unfair to label all Christians as Murderers because of 'Reverend' King or all Muslims terrorists because of Shekau, it is also unfair to label all adherents of traditional religion human sacrificers. There are several Odus (Chapters and Stanzas) of Ifa that are against murder and money rituals.
Re: Oba Dosunmu: I Refused To Do Any Ritual Before Wearing The Crown by Dicksonpal: 11:52am On Nov 05, 2016
And your junior brother is languishing in poverty in Abeokuta, living in a rented flat... Shift abeg Mr dosunmu
Re: Oba Dosunmu: I Refused To Do Any Ritual Before Wearing The Crown by Dicksonpal: 12:00pm On Nov 05, 2016
macof:

fela, chinua achebe, Soyinka are all archaic, ignorant, backward fools? is your father as intelligent or exposed as any of these men?
iidiots like you will never use your head, slave mentality has drained your brain. so quick to believe every bad report about your people. ..you are the ignorant one here, to think Yoruba coronation is about killing people... Iidiots like you don't know their history. ..you probably don't even know a thing about your great grandfather, but will tell the history of arabs and Jews like it's your business

here's a dunce calling people ignorant, calabar people killed twins out of lack of understanding of the biology behind it and the belief ( probably through experience) of having one twin turning out bad in society. .they sought to protect the society by killing the twins since they didn't know which will turn bad. Chiefs also took advantage of the situation .. calabar not all Nigerians
the yoruba are known to revere twins, twins are sacred and venerated not killed in Yoruba traditions

300 years ago europeans were still dining on real human flesh, morons like you will never talk about that
in yoruba Land twin are believed to be fortified that's why when you have edun ibeji in your room no witch can attack you

1 Like

Re: Oba Dosunmu: I Refused To Do Any Ritual Before Wearing The Crown by Almand: 12:02pm On Nov 05, 2016
sayyid:
i find it hard to believe this story i dont know why.
you will become a king and will not involve either directly or indirectly in rituals?
somebody is lie lie here
It is possible. I know a know ng in delta state that refused to have anything to do with rituals. He eventually lost him mind but remain steadfast to his conviction. His son who took over from refuses to stay in the old palace until the community built him a new new old. reasons; he does not to have anything to do with ritual
Re: Oba Dosunmu: I Refused To Do Any Ritual Before Wearing The Crown by Nobody: 12:19pm On Nov 05, 2016
.......but the ritual did u.
My lord! There was a ritual.
This man is guilty of rituals.
Re: Oba Dosunmu: I Refused To Do Any Ritual Before Wearing The Crown by osolee(m): 12:30pm On Nov 05, 2016
such a diplomatic responses...promoting Christianity with style. undecided
only the gullible ones will fall for this crap tongue
Re: Oba Dosunmu: I Refused To Do Any Ritual Before Wearing The Crown by mneedss(m): 12:34pm On Nov 05, 2016
People keep talking about the gods....may I ask...who are the gods?
Re: Oba Dosunmu: I Refused To Do Any Ritual Before Wearing The Crown by OkeOladimeji: 2:14pm On Nov 05, 2016
I wonder how some people think..... Every man on earth has a culture, but when a culture becomes an hinderance to process and logic, do you keep protecting it? You shake it up. The culture of killing humans, is that work keeping? One of the problems of Africans is foolish pride. Drop what stops you from moving forward, innovate and move ahead. Some part of the world lives on the power of their brain, while we pride and live on the exploits of the past, our ancestors. While they keep making life better, we keep glorifying same hard way of life. The right culture is that of love, progress, respect and improvement.

Ever wonder why cutlass and hoe still appear on our agricultural science study materials in secondary schools? When the world is on optimization technology.
Re: Oba Dosunmu: I Refused To Do Any Ritual Before Wearing The Crown by Dantee005(m): 2:32pm On Nov 05, 2016
Iffa hear...u want to wear d crown of ur ancestors and U're claiming Christian...Were his ancestors christians ..? Pls give wat belongs to Caesar to Caesar and wat belongs to God to God...otherwise I would advise him to abdicate the throne....
Re: Oba Dosunmu: I Refused To Do Any Ritual Before Wearing The Crown by God2man(m): 2:48pm On Nov 05, 2016
GBAM!
Re: Oba Dosunmu: I Refused To Do Any Ritual Before Wearing The Crown by Nobody: 4:39pm On Nov 05, 2016
tosyne2much:
So you wan use koboko take whip the king? cheesy

I came late to the Palmchat party.
Congrats dear smiley.
Where wine?
Re: Oba Dosunmu: I Refused To Do Any Ritual Before Wearing The Crown by ATERI(m): 4:45pm On Nov 05, 2016
What a bastard!
Re: Oba Dosunmu: I Refused To Do Any Ritual Before Wearing The Crown by Nobody: 5:08pm On Nov 05, 2016
kodded:
a barbaric tradition that support the killing of innocent individuals for sacrifice is not worth celebrating abeg undecided

Don't mind these people. Many of them don't think on this platform before typing. what do you expect from a Godless Generation.

When they hear of missing people here and there do they think ghosts from Jupiter came to make ppl disappear ?
They are being used for rituals and the root course is this their satanic traditions that are supposed to be abolished completely.

I hope some of their family members are abducted for rituals to keep the tradition of their fore fathers alive. Then they would come out screaming Afonja have started again.

Here is a God fearing man telling you he shunned Ritual for Christ you said it's bad and some are saying it's not possible. You think he is the only Christian Oba? You have missed it.

Sick Godless Generation.
Re: Oba Dosunmu: I Refused To Do Any Ritual Before Wearing The Crown by kodded(m): 5:37pm On Nov 05, 2016
davtosh:

Don't mind these people. Many of them don't think on this platform before typing. what do you expect from a Godless Generation.

When they hear of missing people here and there do they think ghosts from Jupiter came to make ppl disappear ?
They are being used for rituals and the root course is this their satanic traditions that are supposed to be abolished completely.

I hope some of their family members are abducted for rituals to keep the tradition of their fore fathers alive. Then they would come out screaming Afonja have started again.

Here is a God fearing man telling you he shunned Ritual for Christ you said it's bad and some are saying it's not possible. You think he is the only Christian Oba? You have missed it.

Sick Godless Generation.
that's why Christianity we hear is different from the Christianity we practice in this country,
you will be shocked to know that most of them abusing the oba are Christians

they have corrupted Christianity with their useless demonic tradition
Re: Oba Dosunmu: I Refused To Do Any Ritual Before Wearing The Crown by ATERI(m): 5:53pm On Nov 05, 2016
Re: Oba Dosunmu: I Refused To Do Any Ritual Before Wearing The Crown by tosyne2much(m): 7:21pm On Nov 05, 2016
PaperLace:

I came late to the Palmchat party.
Congrats dear smiley.
Where wine?
We have aromatic schnapps on board oooo cheesy
Re: Oba Dosunmu: I Refused To Do Any Ritual Before Wearing The Crown by ATERI(m): 7:57pm On Nov 05, 2016
davtosh:

Sick Godless Generation.

In the UK, a child is reported missing every three minutes, used for rituals? My brother, your religion and language have to be originally yours before you can talk of having a culture of your own. There are rituals in every religion. Saudi Arabia shave your head, you never have problem with that, do you? Neither do you have problem killing innocent animals, do you? The earlier we move on from the anachronistic belief that the African Traditional Religion is about human sacrifice the better.

Lastly: I don`t get to choose the traditional rulers of Yorubaland, but Obas have to believe in the religion of Yorubaland. The queen of England can`t undermine the Anglican church and expect the English to respect her. So the lazy and inconsequential Obas have to know that, privilege comes with responsibility. This is a new generation problem, and expect a new generation solution because old generation Obas never disgraced themselves like this.

1 Like

Re: Oba Dosunmu: I Refused To Do Any Ritual Before Wearing The Crown by OlaoChi: 9:58pm On Nov 05, 2016
OkeOladimeji:
I wonder how some people think..... Every man on earth has a culture, but when a culture becomes an hinderance to process and logic, do you keep protecting it? You shake it up. The culture of killing humans, is that work keeping? One of the problems of Africans is foolish pride. Drop what stops you from moving forward, innovate and move ahead. Some part of the world lives on the power of their brain, while we pride and live on the exploits of the past, our ancestors. While they keep making life better, we keep glorifying same hard way of life. The right culture is that of love, progress, respect and improvement.

Ever wonder why cutlass and hoe still appear on our agricultural science study materials in secondary schools? When the world is on optimization technology.

and cutlass and hoe appearing in Nigerian agricultural science classes instead of top notch gears is african culture's fault?
are you aware that the Europeans borrowed technological ideas from many different people particularly Egyptians (a black African people), Chinese and arabs?

people defend the entire collection that is culture because of people like kodded who see African culture as evil and unrewarding

actually the majority of Africans don't give a Bleep about African culture or history, most Africans don't know their history so don't blame culture for africa's problems. blame the lack of culture. we have become true savages and monkeys without appreciation for our identity

1 Like

Re: Oba Dosunmu: I Refused To Do Any Ritual Before Wearing The Crown by OlaoChi: 10:03pm On Nov 05, 2016
gypsey:
makes sense, and that is were hyporcrisy comes to mind, we africans are all guilty of hyporcrisy. Picking and choosing when and on what white men's lifestyles or traditions to follow. Why don't we then stick to worshipping idols? Rather than arabs/white religion.

we all wants to live/act like white people in every thing we do, even speak and write in their languages? But when it comes to certain issues like traditions we remember that we are africans.

nobody worships idols. oh my god! idols are merely representative images to help channel spiritual energy
human beings naturally need material things to see and touch to feel the presence of something else that cannot be seen or touched ie. keeping a picture of your loved ones.

the truth is yes, Africans should and infact need to drop Arab/european religion. the Europeans are already dumping the Christianity they created as it has outlived it's usefulness in their agenda.
we live and act like white people, so isn't that the more reason you should defend our culture and traditions?

1 Like

Re: Oba Dosunmu: I Refused To Do Any Ritual Before Wearing The Crown by Nobody: 10:31pm On Nov 05, 2016
OlaoChi:

nobody worships idols. oh my god! idols are merely representative images to help channel spiritual energy
human beings naturally need material things to see and touch to feel the presence of something else that cannot be seen or touched ie. keeping a picture of your loved ones.

the truth is yes, Africans should and infact need to drop Arab/european religion. the Europeans are already dumping the Christianity they created as it has outlived it's usefulness in their agenda.
we live and act like white people, so isn't that the more reason you should defend our culture and traditions?
true, but too late to defend african culture and tradition, look around you every thing we do is european in our own africa, you are writing in English a white man's language( british) too late. Even the so called african celebrities are copying white man's lifestyle even our leaders go abroad for medical treatments and their children study abroad( white man's country) even african women marrying white folk. It's sad. embarassed
Re: Oba Dosunmu: I Refused To Do Any Ritual Before Wearing The Crown by PMIcon(m): 11:46pm On Nov 05, 2016
macof:

this one has a fried brain. oh africa! the dying continent.
Which Africa is dying? No culture ever remains the same. We take what is valuable and move on. The only constant thing is change. Even the rituals and all the paraphernalia of royalty were not always the same from the beginning.
Didn't they know he is a Christian before asking him to become their king? Why are you angry that there are still people who stand by what they believe. Are such not the type who should be on the throne?
Re: Oba Dosunmu: I Refused To Do Any Ritual Before Wearing The Crown by PMIcon(m): 11:55pm On Nov 05, 2016
OlaoChi:

Whoever taught you Christianity is European didn't try at all. By the way, even many Jews won't call Christianity theirs and so calling it Middle-Eastern doesn't hold water too. People like to give labels to what they don't understand.

The same people who are shouting against the king not following the ritual because of "Eyinbo" religion will be glad to see any "Eyinbo" that forsake the "Eyinbo" religion and culture to take up African's.

Why didn't you go and fight "Yeye Osun" for leaving her people and culture to embrace Osun goddess?
Re: Oba Dosunmu: I Refused To Do Any Ritual Before Wearing The Crown by PMIcon(m): 12:17am On Nov 06, 2016
OlaoChi:

blame the lack of culture. we have become true savages and monkeys without appreciation for our identity
You see, what you call identity were not there from the beginning so how is it identity? The colour of your skin is not even your identity as African because we exist in different shades even among our tribes.

Let's stop persecuting others for their choices instead of caring to understand them so we can live peacefully even if we don't believe the same things. If you don't know why people do what they do you may turn someone who actually cares about you into causing you distress by your perception.
Re: Oba Dosunmu: I Refused To Do Any Ritual Before Wearing The Crown by OlaoChi: 8:18am On Nov 06, 2016
gypsey:
true, but too late to defend african culture and tradition, look around you every thing we do is european in our own africa, you are writing in English a white man's language( british) too late. Even the so called african celebrities are copying white man's lifestyle even our leaders go abroad for medical treatments and their children study abroad( white man's country) even african women marrying white folk. It's sad. embarassed
like I said, this is the reason we must fight against this slave- and Colo mentality, by protecting the African identity. we must celebrate our culture, language, history and traditions. We must begin a cultural rebirth in Africa

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

How Many Language Do Nigeria Have And Can You Name Your Language? / Western Culture Vs African Culture / Is It Common For An Igbo Man To Marry A Woman Who Is Not Igbo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 136
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.