Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,693 members, 7,809,616 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:00 PM

AMOLED Or IPS LCD, Which Is Better? - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / AMOLED Or IPS LCD, Which Is Better? (2422 Views)

IPS LCD Vs AMOLED (pros & Cons) / I Finally Settled For The Samsung Galaxy A20: Comparing Amoled Display To Ips Lc / See The Difference Between AMOLED And LCD Smartphone Displays (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

AMOLED Or IPS LCD, Which Is Better? by PhonePlanet(m): 11:55am On Nov 05, 2016

One of the many choices you have when buying a new smartphone is display type. There are two major technologies on the market, AMOLED (or Super AMOLED) and IPS LCD, and both have their advantages and disadvantages. Here we'll explain exactly what you need to know about them without going too far into the complex technicalities of each approach.

Right away it's worth pointing out that all the major manufacturers put a few proprietary technologies on top of the foundations laid by AMOLED or IPS LCD – technologies usually given a baffling custom name – and that's why two AMOLED smartphones may not match in terms of depth and quality even if they're of the same type. In other words the quality of a phone's display is about more than whether it uses AMOLED or IPS LCD.

While we can talk about the differences between AMOLED and IPS LCD in broad terms, if you want to know the standard of the screen on one particular device, individual reviews are always your best port of call. Differences between these two technologies have changed over the years, and will continue to change as new upgrades appear, so keep an eye on the newest updates from the major manufacturers.

AMOLED

AMOLED (Active Matrix Organic Light-Emitting Diode) technology is now often seen in its next-generation Super AMOLED guise. With these displays, individual pixels are lit separately (that's the active matrix bit) on top of a thin film transistor (TFT) array that passes electricity through organic compounds (that's the OLED bit). It's a newer technology than IPS LCD and improves on it in some areas while still lagging behind in others.

At its heart OLED technology uses anodes and cathodes for electron flow through a very thin film; brightness is determined by the strength of the electron current. Color is controlled by the tiny red, green and blue light-emitting diodes built into the display. The best way of understanding it is to think of each pixel as its own independently colored, miniature light bulb on the screen.

Colors are typically brighter with AMOLED and Super AMOLED, and blacks are darker because portions of the screen can be effectively turned off. This also leads to a theoretical improvement in battery life, but that depends on exactly how you're using the screen (if all the pixels are lit all the time, the inverse can be true with AMOLED being more power-hungry than IPS LCD).

AMOLED traditionally suffered from "burn in," where pixel quality degraded over time, though this is becoming less of a problem as the technology improves. Also in the negative column, they cost more to produce and can appear less sharp when viewed at very close range.

Samsung is Super AMOLED's biggest fan, and you'll often find its phones being talked about in terms of the vibrancy and vividness of the colors – that's Super AMOLED at work. The technology scores highly for gorgeous-looking colors and very deep blacks.

The key difference between Super AMOLED and the standard AMOLED (often used by the likes of Motorola) is that the former integrates touch sensors in the display itself, removing the need for an extra layer and often allowing for an overall thinner device.

Generally speaking Super AMOLED also offers better brightness and battery life, though again manufacturers are working hard to minimize the difference with their own improvements.

IPS LCD

In the other corner of the ring we have IPS LCD, or In-Plane Switching Liquid Crystal Display – as Super AMOLED is an upgrade on plain old AMOLED, so IPS LCD improves on the venerable (TFT) LCD technology. The mighty iPhone uses IPS LCD and from the manufacturers' point of view it's cheaper to produce, which is a bonus.

In essence, LCD uses polarized light which is then run through a color filter. Horizontal and vertical filters on either side of the liquid crystals control the brightness and whether or not each pixel is on or off. With the backlight included, the handsets are usually thicker – though as with many of these points progress is being made to fix that (and Apple's latest iPhones are notable exceptions).

All the pixels are backlit to some extent while the device is on, however, even the black ones. This means contrast and blackness can suffer (if you're watching a movie set in deep space, for example). On the upside, pixels can give the impression of being packed more closely together, aiding sharpness and clarity (something Apple is very keen on). IPS LCD is often spoken of as offering more natural colors; AMOLED screens can sometimes look a little over-saturated.

Viewing angles often aren't quite as good on IPS LCD as they are on AMOLED, broadly speaking, and again its the backlight to blame. On the other hand whites tend to come out better – the whites on an AMOLED screen can sometimes come across as slightly yellowy. Photographers tend to opt for IPS LCD displays as they show colours more accurately.

As well as Apple, LG is a big fan of the IPS LCD approach, and so is HTC. These displays can usually perform better in terms of their visibility in bright sunlight even if they're not quite as good for watching movies in a darkened room (as you can see, it's a tough call to pick one over the other).

Conclusion

There really is no winner when it comes to AMOLED vs IPS LCD, but it's still helpful to know what each technology involves. The quality of a screen primarily comes down to how a manufacturer applies its chosen standard, and a lot of potential problems on both sides – from battery drain to washed-out blacks – can be minimized with a high-quality production process.

Many of the issues and disadvantages we've talked about are being dealt with by Samsung, Apple and the other major players, as each one tweaks the displays in their handsets and the technology lying underneath. For that reason keep reading the reviews as they come out to see how AMOLED and IPS LCD fare in the years to come.

Ultimately, you should focus on the strengths of each technology when choosing – that's bright colors and deep blacks for AMOLED, and natural colors and sharpness for IPS LCD. It would be nice to have one technology that does everything perfectly, of course, but we're not quite there yet.

source: http://newatlas.com/amoled-vs-ips-display-technology/39196/

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: AMOLED Or IPS LCD, Which Is Better? by PhonePlanet(m): 12:14pm On Nov 05, 2016
or better yet

AMOLED = Black
IPS LCD = White

AMOLED = Vivid colours
IPS LCD = Natural colours

currently using a phone with AMOLED display. and i dont think i can ever use LCD again. im loving the screen.

a black out picture is the same as turning my phone off!
whereas on lcd you'll still see backlit on the edges of the screen

8 Likes

Re: AMOLED Or IPS LCD, Which Is Better? by Nobody: 3:08pm On Nov 05, 2016
PhonePlanet:
or better yet

AMOLED = Black
IPS LCD = White

AMOLED = Vivid colours
IPS LCD = Natural colours

currently using a phone with AMOLED display. and i dont think i can ever use LCD again. im loving the screen.

a black out picture is the same as turning my phone off!
whereas on lcd you'll still see backlit on the edges of the screen
None, i use a phone with ips screen, although the black is not that deep, i can as well not tell the difference when watching a hd movie with black scenes when compared with my phone body, i don't see the backlit at the edges of my phone... Amoled of course is deeper and tends toward to wear out with time, also consumes much battery, unlike amoled i can view my ips screen from any angle and still get the same shades of colors
Re: AMOLED Or IPS LCD, Which Is Better? by samsard(m): 4:06pm On Nov 05, 2016
CarlyX8:

None, i use a phone with ips screen, although the black is not that deep, i can as well not tell the difference when watching a hd movie with black scenes when compared with my phone body, i don't see the backlit at the edges of my phone... Amoled of course is deeper and tends toward to wear out with time, also consumes much battery, unlike amoled i can view my ips screen from any angle and still get the same shades of colors
Amoled displays are the power efficient ones, not IPS.
Re: AMOLED Or IPS LCD, Which Is Better? by PhonePlanet(m): 4:18pm On Nov 05, 2016
CarlyX8:

None, i use a phone with ips screen, although the black is not that deep, i can as well not tell the difference when watching a hd movie with black scenes when compared with my phone body, i don't see the backlit at the edges of my phone... Amoled of course is deeper and tends toward to wear out with time, [s]also consumes much battery. unlike amoled i can view my ips screen from any angle and still get the same shades of colors[/s]

read the whole article again!

1 Like

Re: AMOLED Or IPS LCD, Which Is Better? by Nobody: 4:46pm On Nov 05, 2016
PhonePlanet:

Op na you post am oh "This also leads to a theoretical improvement in battery life, but that depends on exactly how you're using the screen (if all the pixels are lit all the time, the inverse can be true with AMOLED being more power- hungry than IPS LCD)."
Re: AMOLED Or IPS LCD, Which Is Better? by tafat: 5:06pm On Nov 05, 2016
PhonePlanet:

Na exam b dat na, the article is too long
Re: AMOLED Or IPS LCD, Which Is Better? by Nobody: 5:42pm On Nov 05, 2016
CarlyX8:

Op na you post am oh
"This also leads to a theoretical improvement in battery life, but that
depends on exactly how you're using the screen (if all the pixels are lit
all the time, the inverse can be true with AMOLED being more power-
hungry than IPS LCD)."
Bro quote the line ..... Hope it's not the battery management part oh!
Re: AMOLED Or IPS LCD, Which Is Better? by PhonePlanet(m): 8:06pm On Nov 05, 2016
CarlyX8:
Op na you post am oh "This also leads to a theoretical improvement in battery life, but that depends on exactly how you're using the screen (if all the pixels are lit all the time, the inverse can be true with AMOLED being more power- hungry than IPS LCD)."
but then,all the pixels are not always lit.
Re: AMOLED Or IPS LCD, Which Is Better? by PhonePlanet(m): 8:13pm On Nov 05, 2016
mods shey i offend una? help me move this tread to fp na
cc honsule, lalasticlala
Re: AMOLED Or IPS LCD, Which Is Better? by PhonePlanet(m): 8:13pm On Nov 05, 2016
twin post......
Re: AMOLED Or IPS LCD, Which Is Better? by Scarpon(m): 10:27pm On Nov 05, 2016
AMOLED display rocks also a fan of it

1 Like

Re: AMOLED Or IPS LCD, Which Is Better? by donhils: 12:00am On Nov 06, 2016
I can't tell the difference, only that red colours on amoled displays deem to be 'reder' and black appears blacker.

1 Like

Re: AMOLED Or IPS LCD, Which Is Better? by CirocBoi(m): 6:45am On Nov 06, 2016
I think you missed the part where AMOLED is flexible, that's why it's being used in dual edge phones, even xiaomi had to get amoled screen from LG for production of the xiaomi mi note 2(dual edge phone) , even LG will supply apple amoled next year
Re: AMOLED Or IPS LCD, Which Is Better? by Turks: 6:53am On Nov 06, 2016
AMOLED is the future. It's like comparing a halogen bulb and an energy saving bulb.
Re: AMOLED Or IPS LCD, Which Is Better? by henryobinna(m): 7:32am On Nov 06, 2016
cool analysis,

but AMOLED wins it, clearly
Re: AMOLED Or IPS LCD, Which Is Better? by hakinze00(m): 7:46am On Nov 06, 2016
Well I am a IPS LCD fan... Well my reason being dat has u said LCD display looks more original nd natural than AMOLED that's why LCD phones tends to have better camera than most AMOLED fone (iphone nd sony xperia camera) and u can make use of LCD display fone for a long time without having eyes discoloration especially @ night,and in a matter of time AMOLED due to it displaying too bright and over colored display, it tend to wear out in a matter of time and also AMOLED is battery consuming than LCD...well anyways team Sony Xperia
Re: AMOLED Or IPS LCD, Which Is Better? by donbenie(m): 9:00am On Nov 06, 2016
hakinze00:
Well I am a IPS LCD fan... Well my reason being dat has u said LCD display looks more original nd natural than AMOLED that's why LCD phones tends to have better camera than most AMOLED fone (iphone nd sony xperia camera) and u can make use of LCD display fone for a long time without having eyes discoloration especially @ night,and in a matter of time AMOLED due to it displaying too bright and over colored display, it tend to wear out in a matter of time and also AMOLED is battery consuming than LCD...well anyways team Sony Xperia
You obviously haven't seen the latest AMOLED Screens from Samsung,the current crop of Super AMOLEDs starting from the Galaxy Note 4 has the best natural color reproduction in ANY Phone bar non and these are Scientifically proven..
The image quality of a camera has ZERO correlation with whether or not the phone is AMOLED or IPS and when the best of Smartphone cameras are being mentioned please leave Sony Xperias out of it,their cameras are Sh!tty compared to the likes of Samsung,iPhones and LG..
I have been using AMOLEDs across three devices and I believe the issue of Screen burn ins are over hyped especially in more recent Screens and no,AMOLEDs are not more power consuming than IPS,individual pixels are powered on if and when needed unlike IPS where the backlight has to be on ALL the time to keep ALL the pixels powered on permanently,the future is AMOLED even Apple are planning to switch to it by next year..
Re: AMOLED Or IPS LCD, Which Is Better? by hakinze00(m): 10:15am On Nov 06, 2016
donbenie:
You obviously haven't seen the latest AMOLED Screens from Samsung,the current crop of Super AMOLEDs starting from the Galaxy Note 4 has the best natural color reproduction in ANY Phone bar non and these are Scientifically proven..
The image quality of a camera has ZERO correlation with whether or not the phone is AMOLED or IPS and when the best of Smartphone cameras are being mentioned please leave Sony Xperias out of it,their cameras are Sh!tty compared to the likes of Samsung,iPhones and LG..
I have been using AMOLEDs across three devices and I believe the issue of Screen burn ins are over hyped especially in more recent Screens and no,AMOLEDs are not more power consuming than IPS,individual pixels are powered on if and when needed unlike IPS where the backlight has to be on ALL the time to keep ALL the pixels powered on permanently,the future is AMOLED even Apple are planning to switch to it by next year..
I didn't say AMOLED display is not good but it is not realistic to me and also talking about camera quality of sony xperia check www.phonerated.com/top-rated-best-overall-camera-phones-global nd see ow many sony xperia fones re on d list nd yes d display matters on d camera quality don't u see dat most of d fones there make use of IPS LCD display?...quite alright LED is more upgraded dan LCD but nevertheless I prefer IPS LCD
Re: AMOLED Or IPS LCD, Which Is Better? by hakinze00(m): 10:20am On Nov 06, 2016
donbenie:
I didn't say AMOLED display is not good but it is not realistic to me and also talking about camera quality of sony xperia check www.phonerated.com/top-rated-best-overall-camera-phones-global nd see ow many sony xperia fones re on d list nd yes d display matters on d camera quality don't see ow many IPS LCD display fones are there...quite alright LED is more upgraded dan LCD but nevertheless I prefer IPS LCD
Re: AMOLED Or IPS LCD, Which Is Better? by PhonePlanet(m): 2:52pm On Nov 06, 2016
hakinze00:
I didn't say AMOLED display is not good but it is not realistic to me and also talking about camera quality of sony xperia check www.phonerated.com/top-rated-best-overall-camera-phones-global nd see ow many sony xperia fones re on d list nd yes d display matters on d camera quality don't see ow many IPS LCD display fones are there...quite alright LED is more upgraded dan LCD but nevertheless I prefer IPS LCD
dude. screen type has nothing to do with camera quality and that site is known by nobody and therefore has zero credibility

(1) (Reply)

Xiaomi Is Really Coming To Nigeria! / Nokia 8.1 (just Few Weeks Used) / Do You Know If Etisalat Experience Centers Open On Saturdays?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.