Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,681 members, 7,820,386 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:02 PM

What Are The Common Mistake Young People Make That Can Ruin Their Life. - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / What Are The Common Mistake Young People Make That Can Ruin Their Life. (2672 Views)

Wife Trying To Ruin My Career Within A Few Months Of Arriving Abroad / My Husband's Pride Wants To Ruin Our Home / 7 Terrible Mistakes People Make In Marriage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Are The Common Mistake Young People Make That Can Ruin Their Life. by pxjosh(m): 11:09pm On Nov 05, 2016
I am a young guy, in my early 20s. I'm still a student. I want to make the best decisions such that when I look back, maybe some 50years or more after, I'd be proud that I've made the best decisions.

Matured folks in the house, what are the common mistakes young people make that could ruin their life forever? I'd like a discussion on this.

2 Likes

Re: What Are The Common Mistake Young People Make That Can Ruin Their Life. by ayourbamie: 11:45pm On Nov 05, 2016
Forget sex. It ruins destinies. Learn to be satisfy with what you have. Don't buy what u can't afford. Learn to invest early. Learn at least one handiwork

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Are The Common Mistake Young People Make That Can Ruin Their Life. by AK6464(m): 11:56pm On Nov 05, 2016
Stay away from drugs, seek God, these are key to satisfaction in life

4 Likes

Re: What Are The Common Mistake Young People Make That Can Ruin Their Life. by EfemenaXY: 12:13am On Nov 06, 2016
pxjosh:
I am a young guy, in my early 20s. I'm still a student. I want to make the best decisions such that when I look back, maybe some 50years or more after, I'd be proud that I've made the best decisions.
Matured folks in the house, what are the common mistakes young people make that could ruin their life forever? I'd like a discussion on this.

Unprotected sex, recreational drugs, and greed for quick, easy money.

3 Likes

Re: What Are The Common Mistake Young People Make That Can Ruin Their Life. by Chubhie: 2:54am On Nov 06, 2016
You never can tell what life might decide to throw your ways.

Prepare your mind cos you gonna lose and gain in life battles.

Invest more in yourself. it's not about hitting that targets you set at 50 but the man you become in the process.

Stay focused and disciplined in whatever goal you set and learn to travel light. Becareful of women save the ones that align with your destiny.

3 Likes

Re: What Are The Common Mistake Young People Make That Can Ruin Their Life. by Acidosis(m): 5:34am On Nov 06, 2016
I'm not old enough to advise you but these tips are on my A-list.

1. Do not eat your dinner (e.g. SEX) in the morning. Sex is meant for the married ONLY. Having a premarital pen.is is not enough reason to inject every hoe you come across. Would you allow a medical student conduct a major operation in your head, and call it Pre-medical surgery? It is your head we are talking about here. Like your pe.nis, it is priceless, so keep it for your WOMAN.

You need money for college
You need college for job
You need job for money

Can you now see that you're wiser than those who coined this cycle a.k.a career?

friEND
boyfriEND
girlfriEND
best-friEND
man-friEND
famILY

These words have something in common - END, except famILY - I (I) L (Love) Y (You).

4. Do not allow the decayed moral values of your generation make you look stup!d. Sir, virginity is still very much acceptable. There is no such thing as bikini, it is called pants and bra. Should any normal human being be seen on that in the public?

4. He who has a bad wife, his hell begins on earth. Therefore, marry RIGHT.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Are The Common Mistake Young People Make That Can Ruin Their Life. by pxjosh(m): 5:54am On Nov 06, 2016
ayourbamie:
Forget sex. It ruins destinies. Learn to be satisfy with what you have. Don't buy what u can't afford. Learn to invest early. Learn at least one handiwork
wow thanks. I've always had issues with being satisfied with what I have but I'd make adjustments.

1 Like

Re: What Are The Common Mistake Young People Make That Can Ruin Their Life. by mctowel01: 9:07am On Nov 06, 2016
Bruv.. I don't know how you re wired, but i hope my advice will go well...
Focus on what you havr decided to do... Be strong... Be positive.. Life itself is a risk... Be prepared to face challenges. Be prepared to make big decisions. Sacrifice and persevere. And above all.. Hope. Cos many of my good achievements came from opportunities i never planned for.
For relationships,, avoid women.. I m around your age.. I often used to fantasize, till i got my focus strong. Now, girls think that I m snubbish cos I "appear" to be doing well.. But i know i m not where I have to be.. And when they eventually realise and don't see things very chilled, they will run... Remember that for almost every pre wedding pictures you see out there and romantic outings,, without money, its all a farce, and without money 95% of the women will run. Also know that life secrets are hard bitter pills often coated with sugar.. There are lots of them.. You will learn with time.

2 Likes

Re: What Are The Common Mistake Young People Make That Can Ruin Their Life. by Nobody: 9:54am On Nov 06, 2016
mctowel01:
Bruv.. I don't know how you re wired, but i hope my advice will go well...
Focus on what you havr decided to do... Be strong... Be positive.. Life itself is a risk... Be prepared to face challenges. Be prepared to make big decisions. Sacrifice and persevere. And above all.. Hope. Cos many of my good achievements came from opportunities i never planned for.
For relationships,, avoid women.. I m around your age.. I often used to fantasize, till i got my focus strong. Now, girls think that I m snubbish cos I "appear" to be doing well.. But i know i m not where I have to be.. And when they don't see the things very chilled, they will run... Remember that for almost every pre wedding pictures you see out there and romantic outings,, without money, its all a farce, and without money 95% of the women will run. Also know that life secrets are hard bitter pills often coated with sugar.. There are lots of them.. You will learn with time.
Nice one bro
Re: What Are The Common Mistake Young People Make That Can Ruin Their Life. by nnamdibig(m): 1:35pm On Nov 06, 2016
Just stay away from girls.... Both in school & church

2 Likes

Re: What Are The Common Mistake Young People Make That Can Ruin Their Life. by drmikeadams(m): 12:03am On Nov 07, 2016
oga...have sex ,,date fine beautiful girls too,,smoke weed and ciggarettes,,drink beer and wine..suit up and dress well.,,watch nice classic movies like 'the good bad and the ugly..go to party ...read ur books too,,play bet 9ja cos u might be lucky too..be street smart too. ...dont do any of these excessively....enjoy life as a teenager/youth so that when you grow older,you wont look back and slap your self for letting them good side of life pass you by...forget them niggaz giving u holy holy advice for most of em were already fingerinng there house maids at the age of 12.. grin grin grin.please dont join bad gang or secret cult grin

1 Like

Re: What Are The Common Mistake Young People Make That Can Ruin Their Life. by njiasi30(f): 1:35am On Nov 07, 2016
Early twenties , U re still young so b a gd student, enjoy every moment of ur life. Make enough mistakes, dont worry u fall, u stand, u fall u stand... Enjoy it grin but b focus and persistent in achieving ur dreams.

When u re tru with sch...wait to entrepreneur, just to ve some exp, go to a small company, normally a big company is gd to learn processing but when u go to a small company u learn d passion,dreams, u learn how to do a lot of things at one time. It's nt all abt d company, it's abt d boss bc a gd boss will teach u differently.

When u re in ur 30-40 yrs, u ve to think clearly if u want to continue working 4 s/o or u really want to b entrepreneur. Do all d things u re gd at, if u decide to b ur own boss, don't try to jump into new areas. Think abt how to focus on things u re gd at and make it a success.

Work 4 d young ones when u re 50 - 60 yrs, BC dey can do better dan u, so rely on dem, invest on dem and making sure dey re gd.
When u re over 60 yrs, spend time 4 urself, on d beach.... grin whatever u want to do bc it's 2 late 4 u to change.
At dis stage, ve fun just enjoy ur teenage life cheesy but remain a gd student, no bad friends so dey won't influence u. U can drink one or two... is ok, abt gals u can ve dem as friends but sex it's ur choice grin. Ve d fear of God and a gd heart, but b careful 2 much of everything is bad. Bear in mind dat life is nt a bed of roses, so always expect d unexpected... God by ur side u will definitely succeed, all d best wink

2 Likes

Re: What Are The Common Mistake Young People Make That Can Ruin Their Life. by Acidosis(m): 11:52am On Nov 07, 2016
njiasi30:
Early twenties , U re still young so b a gd student, enjoy every moment of ur life. Make enough mistakes, dont worry u fall, u stand, u fall u stand... Enjoy it grin but b focus and persistent in achieving ur dreams.

When u re tru with sch...wait to entrepreneur, just to ve some exp, go to a small company, normally a big company is gd to learn processing but when u go to a small company u learn d passion,dreams, u learn how to do a lot of things at one time. It's nt all abt d company, it's abt d boss bc a gd boss will teach u differently.

When u re in ur 30-40 yrs, u ve to think clearly if u want to continue working 4 s/o or u really want to b entrepreneur. Do all d things u re gd at, if u decide to b ur own boss, don't try to jump into new areas. Think abt how to focus on things u re gd at and make it a success.

Work 4 d young ones when u re 50 - 60 yrs, BC dey can do better dan u, so rely on dem, invest on dem and making sure dey re gd.
When u re over 60 yrs, spend time 4 urself, on d beach.... grin whatever u want to do bc it's 2 late 4 u to change.
At dis stage, ve fun just enjoy ur teenage life cheesy but remain a gd student, no bad friends so dey won't influence u. U can drink one or two... is ok, abt gals u can ve dem as friends but sex it's ur choice grin. Ve d fear of God and a gd heart, but b careful 2 much of everything is bad. Bear in mind dat life is nt a bed of roses, so always expect d unexpected... God by ur side u will definitely succeed, all d best wink

Making enough mistakes is not an achievement o..

You don't enjoy a mistake, you regret it...

1 Like

Re: What Are The Common Mistake Young People Make That Can Ruin Their Life. by TV01(m): 12:15pm On Nov 07, 2016
Acidosis:

Abi? Some mistakes are ruinous. Others can be the start of a downward spiral you never recover from. Really liked your initial post too.

OP, lots of good stuff already...I have 5 pennies worth;

1. Exercise - start this early enough - like now while you are still packed with youthful vigour - and it will help ensure length of days and better quality health and fitness for those days

2. Don't exercise - obsessively or fanatically

3. Eat - eat well and healthily. It will keep you fitter, more alert and more able

4. Don't eat - excessively or junk food

5. Marry - at the right time, with the right understanding and to the right person

6. Don't marry - without due diligence, due regard to your support groups (primarily family) , or a long-term shared vision for your home. Avoid fornication prior to marriage and adultery after.

7. Be hard working and of solid character and reputation. Have a career/business/employment plan, but be flexible. If marriage and family are in view for you, there will be a non-negotiable burden that you must subject your aspirations to. Therefore make sure that whatever your aspirations are, you will be able to bear this burden.

Start to collect value for money, good quality assets as soon as possible. And hold on to them. Almost all money ends up in assets, and money is typically tied to asset prices, not the other way round. As you work for money, make your money work for you. Assets!

All the very best. Be sure to come back and share here. The younger generations will find your lived experience invaluable smiley.

Rumble young man, rumble.

TV

3 Likes

Re: What Are The Common Mistake Young People Make That Can Ruin Their Life. by njiasi30(f): 12:15pm On Nov 07, 2016
Acidosis:

Toor, I hardly reply mentions unless its 4 fun but I just want to correct u.
1, where did I write dat mistakes is an achievement ?
2, I don't regret my mistakes, rather I learn 4rm it. We don't bc perfect under a day. Does dat achieved it today didn't make it under a day, dey had dere ups and down but it didn't stop dem 4rm achieving dere goals at d end. Most of dem failed many times, but dey never gave up. Dats d success spirit grin tongue
3, my only regret will b giving up, nt trying again...
Re: What Are The Common Mistake Young People Make That Can Ruin Their Life. by Acidosis(m): 12:52pm On Nov 07, 2016
njiasi30:

Toor, I hardly reply mentions unless its 4 fun but I just want to correct u.
1, where did I write dat mistakes is an achievement ?
2, I don't regret my mistakes, rather I learn 4rm it. We don't bc perfect under a day. Does dat achieved it today didn't make it under a day, dey had dere ups and down but it didn't stop dem 4rm achieving dere goals at d end. Most of dem failed many times, but dey never gave up. Dats d success spirit grin tongue
3, my only regret will b giving up, nt trying again...

1. You specifically told the young man to "make enough mistakes". You made it sound like mistakes are meant to be enjoyed. Actually you told him to enjoy his mistakes.

2. You don't regret your mistakes? Can you please stop quoting these idle 'motivational speakers'?

The mistakes you don't regret can no longer be referred to as 'mistakes'.
Re: What Are The Common Mistake Young People Make That Can Ruin Their Life. by njiasi30(f): 2:14pm On Nov 07, 2016
Acidosis, cheesy ur own point of view might b diff 4rm others ok , so case.... tongue

2 Likes

Re: What Are The Common Mistake Young People Make That Can Ruin Their Life. by brandable: 2:14pm On Nov 07, 2016
TV01:

Abi? Some mistakes are ruinous. Others can be the start of a downward spiral you never recover from. Really liked your initial post too.

OP, lots of good stuff already...I have 5 pennies worth;

1. Exercise - start this early enough - like now while you are still packed with youthful vigour - and it will help ensure length of days and better quality health and fitness for those days

2. Don't exercise - obsessively or fanatically

3. Eat - eat well and healthily. It will keep you fitter, more alert and more able

4. Don't eat - excessively or junk food

5. Marry - at the right time, with the right understanding and to the right person

6. Don't marry - without due diligence, due regard to your support groups (primarily family) , or a long-term shared vision for your home. Avoid fornication prior to marriage and adultery after.

7. Be hard working and of solid character and reputation. Have a career/business/employment plan, but be flexible. If marriage and family are in view for you, there will be a non-negotiable burden that you must subject your aspirations to. Therefore make sure that whatever your aspirations are, you will be able to bear this burden.

Start to collect value for money, good quality assets as soon as possible. And hold on to them. Almost all money ends up in assets, and money is typically tied to asset prices, not the other way round. As you work for money, make your money work for you. Assets!

All the very best. Be sure to come back and sure here. The younger generations will find your lived experience invaluable smiley.

Rumble young man, rumble.

TV
Words on marble

2 Likes

Re: What Are The Common Mistake Young People Make That Can Ruin Their Life. by Acidosis(m): 2:16pm On Nov 07, 2016
njiasi30:
Acidosis, cheesy ur own point of view might b diff 4rm others ok , so case.... tongue

I like you already; you're an easy-going person.
Re: What Are The Common Mistake Young People Make That Can Ruin Their Life. by njiasi30(f): 2:18pm On Nov 07, 2016
Acidosis:

I like you already; you're an easy-going person.
cheesy thanks grin
Re: What Are The Common Mistake Young People Make That Can Ruin Their Life. by Acidosis(m): 2:19pm On Nov 07, 2016
njiasi30:
cheesy thanks grin
Lol
Very funny
Re: What Are The Common Mistake Young People Make That Can Ruin Their Life. by njiasi30(f): 2:24pm On Nov 07, 2016
Acidosis:
Lol

Very funny
grin we re derailing.... tongue
Re: What Are The Common Mistake Young People Make That Can Ruin Their Life. by Acidosis(m): 2:58pm On Nov 07, 2016
njiasi30:
grin we re derailing.... tongue
I know

Just tell me you want me to PM you. I will understand tongue tongue grin grin grin grin tongue grin
Re: What Are The Common Mistake Young People Make That Can Ruin Their Life. by njiasi30(f): 3:56pm On Nov 07, 2016
Acidosis:
I know

Just tell me you want me to PM you. I will understand tongue tongue grin grin grin grin tongue grin
Hahaha grin grin grin
Re: What Are The Common Mistake Young People Make That Can Ruin Their Life. by yetseyi(f): 8:06pm On Nov 07, 2016
grin grin
Re: What Are The Common Mistake Young People Make That Can Ruin Their Life. by YourCoffin: 11:26am On Nov 08, 2016
1. Have lots of protected sex now. You will get less of it when you get married and you wouldn't want frustration to drive into doing s/th negative.

2. Make lots of friends. Join a political party, attend community and alumni meetings. The people you forge relationship with now will be very instrumental later.

3. Make very high risk decisions now whether it's business or relationship decision because this the only time you have less to loose and more to learn in risk management.

4. Create s/th and start marketing it now

5. Be stingy to women but help them with every other thing that won't inconvenience you.

6. Visit a grave yard once a month

7. Smoke weed for two years and party a lot for four years.

8. Don't ever turn the other cheek

I don't tire
Re: What Are The Common Mistake Young People Make That Can Ruin Their Life. by Bryan12(m): 6:29pm On Nov 08, 2016
I'm in my early 20s too and truth is that I've realised that when you get older there are things you'd regret you didnt do when you were younger like clubbing,partying and some other crazy stuffs.just get a girlfriend cos there are times you will only need to talk to an opposite sex...its worth it.live a balanced life no carry anything for head.make sure your input commeasurate with your output.read think and grow rich by napoleon hill and 48laws of power by robert greene those books changed my life.above all put God first

3 Likes

Re: What Are The Common Mistake Young People Make That Can Ruin Their Life. by Nobody: 8:25pm On Nov 08, 2016
Getting drunk cry
Re: What Are The Common Mistake Young People Make That Can Ruin Their Life. by montezz(f): 10:41pm On Nov 08, 2016
Ignorance(deliberate); when you are in your early 20s, you actually are more ignorant then knowledgeable, which is rightly quoted by someone that ‘Life is a journey from Ignorance to Knowledge’, so when you are ignorant you are more inclined towards engaging yourself into acquiring more worldly(unnecessary) possessions. You need to learn....read!
Misplaced priorities:Following trendy celebrity lifestyles,trying to imitate them,going through thick and thin just to 'belong' or fit in...Comparing your life to some else's.
There is time for everything. There is time to toil and plan your way up. There is time to enjoy the returns of your labour. You can't put the cart before the horse. Everyone wants to wear designer shoes,clothes,jewelries bla bla but they ain't ready to toil for it.

4 Likes

Re: What Are The Common Mistake Young People Make That Can Ruin Their Life. by obawinner(m): 12:34am On Nov 09, 2016
your friend when you passed out from secondary school are golden, By their way of life you will unconsciously form your way of life. but never attempt to be like them. keep in touch with them, in the next 50 years you will still be friends. it is innate.

it is truth when people say " what a old man sees while seating a young man can't see while standing "

in early 20, make decisions by seeing the repercussions first.

1 Like

Re: What Are The Common Mistake Young People Make That Can Ruin Their Life. by mctowel01: 10:12am On Nov 09, 2016
montezz:
Ignorance(deliberate); when you are in your early 20s, you actually are more ignorant then knowledgeable, which is rightly quoted by someone that ‘Life is a journey from Ignorance to Knowledge’, so when you are ignorant you are more inclined towards engaging yourself into acquiring more worldly(unnecessary) possessions. You need to learn....read!
Misplaced priorities:Following trendy celebrity lifestyles,trying to imitate them,going through thick and thin just to 'belong' or fit in...Comparing your life to some else's.
There is time for everything. There is time to toil and plan your way up. There is time to enjoy the returns of your labour. You can't put the cart before the horse. Everyone wants to wear designer shoes,clothes,jewelries bla bla but they ain't ready to toil for it.
You made a lot of sense. But
@ the bolded... I dont think so.. Learning is continual and it never ends.. Even knowledge keeps changing. What i knew last year might not be applicable this year. It all boils down to attitude.
Re: What Are The Common Mistake Young People Make That Can Ruin Their Life. by mctowel01: 10:14am On Nov 09, 2016
@OP.. Same with success.. It is more of an attitude than a certain destination.. Its people on the outside who see it as a certain position.. Believe me, even successful people have ambitions to get higher.. Its that drive that keeps them at the level they are perceived to be. Without the drive for improvement to be better in this competitive world, you will just fall like a pack of cards.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (Reply)

Money Found Hidden Under A Mattress By A Guest In My Home. What Does This Mean? / It's Despicable What A Lot Of Younger Women Wear Nowaday's. / When Your In-laws Behave This Way, What Will You Do? Advice Pls

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.