Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,195 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:25 AM

Thierry Henry Officially The World's Best Player! - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Thierry Henry Officially The World's Best Player! (9085 Views)

Cristiano Ronaldo Named UEFA's Best Player For 2013/2014 / Messi, Ronaldo & Ribery For UEFA Best Player Award 2012/2013 / Andres Iniesta 2012 UEFA Best Player (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Thierry Henry Officially The World's Best Player! by Sauron1: 11:20pm On Nov 02, 2009
dayokanu:

Lucatoni had 18 goals in 35 appearances last season Goal per game ratio of 0.5
Berbatov had 14 goals in 43 appearances last season goal per game ratio of 0.32

These are the stats.

Luca Toni scored 18 goals in a grade B league(always remember to add that in your argument).

U cannot compare Berbatov who faced the quality defence of Liverpool, Arsenal and Chelsea(seeded teams in Europe) to Luca Toni playing against the shitty Nazi teams.
There's a universe of difference between the EPL and the DUMB-NDESLIGA. grin grin grin grin
Re: Thierry Henry Officially The World's Best Player! by chic2pimp(m): 11:47pm On Nov 02, 2009
Krayola:

stats don't have opinions. They don't measure talent, or entertainment. Just effectiveness. What makes u the best player? your skill, or your contribution? Does Messi dribbling pass 3 defenders and taking more shots at goal, though many off target, have more value that Henry making simple effective runs and passes, and getting 70% of his shots on target. The ineffective runs will leave an impression on the viewer that makes messi the better player. . .meanwhile stats no send. U lose possession, they deduct points, whether or not u dribbled 50 players before u lost possession.

I'm not a fan of stats, but with the amount of different measures used in this ranking, I think they tell us a lot that we wouldn't otherwise be able to see.
That statement I highlighted just about buttress my claim that football is about opinion. For example I can make a case that messi dribbling past 3 defenders is more valuable than Henry making simple low risk passes.
Re: Thierry Henry Officially The World's Best Player! by Krayola(m): 11:57pm On Nov 02, 2009
I feel u shickchimp. But these are statistical ranking that only measure effectiveness. . .Based on that, Henry is slightly better.

Now if you factor talent, effort, danger caused to defense regardless of end product, volume of goals, appeal, etc of course messi runs away with it. But people saying that under no circumstances should Henry or Luca Toni be on that list are just yarnin dust IMO.
Re: Thierry Henry Officially The World's Best Player! by Sauron1: 12:05am On Nov 03, 2009
Krayola:

I feel u shickchimp. But these are statistical ranking that only measure effectiveness. . .Based on that, Henry is slightly better.

Now if you factor talent, effort, danger caused to defense regardless of end product, volume of goals, appeal, etc of course messi runs away with it. But people saying that under no circumstances should Henry or Luca Toni be on that list are just yarnin dust IMO.

That is NOT the issue.
The crux of the matter is the list has O'Shea ahead of Toure, Jaglieka and Gael Clichy.
Re: Thierry Henry Officially The World's Best Player! by chic2pimp(m): 12:15am On Nov 03, 2009
Krayola:

I think they are letting their emotions cloud their judgement although I can see where they are coming from. If effectiveness was the only measure used to decide the world's best, Lamps would above Zizou.
Re: Thierry Henry Officially The World's Best Player! by tlktopeter: 6:09am On Nov 03, 2009
I havnt seen him play in a long time but 'll have to agree with you (poster), love the way he plays the game we all love,
Re: Thierry Henry Officially The World's Best Player! by muffins(f): 2:00am On Nov 06, 2009
He's not that good, Is it because he's from France? undecided

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Chelsea Vs Norwich City 4 - 1 On 6th October 2012 / Arsene Wenger Needs To Be Sacked. / Student Squanders School Fees While Celebrating Real Madrid Victory

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.