Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,894 members, 7,824,744 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 04:32 PM

Buhari, Saraki Strike Deal Over $29.9b Loan Request - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari, Saraki Strike Deal Over $29.9b Loan Request (25498 Views)

17 States To Benefit From Fed Govt’s $29.9b Loan (see The List) / $29.9b Loans: Senators Set Another Hurdle For Buhari / Charles Okah, Kanu May Be Freed As MEND, FG Strike Deal To End N-delta Crisis (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Buhari, Saraki Strike Deal Over $29.9b Loan Request by Islie: 5:47am On Nov 06, 2016
•FG may re-present request with details this week

by Yusuf Alli,

President Muhammadu Buhari and Senate President Bukola Saraki may have made up on the $29.9billion loan approval which the executive is seeking from the Senate, The Nation learnt last night.

Buhari and Saraki are understood to have met three times on the issue in the last few days since the Senate turned down the request last week.

Saraki has already admitted that the loan request may be re-presented by the executive.

This, the Presidency may do later this week, sources said yesterday.

But there is a caveat: the Senate may refer the request to its Committee on Local and Foreign Debts, headed by Mallam Shehu Sani.

The Senate hinged its rejection of the loan request last week to inadequate information by the Presidency.
The loan is expected to be used for the provision of key infrastructure.

The Nation gathered that during the interactive sessions between Buhari and Saraki, the Senate President was able to clarify that the Red chamber was not out to sabotage the executive arm.

A top source privy to the meetings said:”Following consultations, the President and the Senate President have agreed that the request for the $29.9billion loan be presented again to the Senate.

“All things being equal, the fresh request might be forwarded to the Senate with all the details as demanded by the Senate.

“But the Senate Committee on Local and Foreign Debts, which is headed by Sen. Sani will still go through the request and vet the desirability or otherwise of the loan.

“The recommendations of the committee will determine the final decision of the Senate on the loan.”

Saraki had on Friday spoken on the Senate’s relationship with the Executive as far as the loan is concerned, saying: “We should not look at that as a reflection of the relationship. Don’t let us politicize very important issues. As we said this is work in progress”.

On the purpose of his visit to the Presidential Villa, he said: “I came here to pray; I have finished praying and I just had a general felicitation with the President. It didn’t go beyond that.”

President Buhari’s letter to the Senate was titled “Request for Approval of Federal Government 2016 – 2018 External Borrowing (Rolling) Plan”.

He said the external borrowing plan would be used for infrastructure, Agriculture, Health, Education, Water supply , Growth and employment generation , poverty reduction through social safety net programmes and governance and financial management reforms etc.

He said: “The total cost of the projects and programmes under the borrowing (rolling) plan is $29.960billion made up of proposed projects and programmes loan of $11.274billion, Special National Infrastructure projects $10.686billion, Euro bonds of $4.5 billion and Federal Government budget support of $3.5billion.”

http://thenationonlineng.net/29-9b-loan-buhari-saraki-reach-new-deal/

Re: Buhari, Saraki Strike Deal Over $29.9b Loan Request by Abduljohn(m): 5:56am On Nov 06, 2016
I know they must strike deal. Our Senators use the gullible followers to make money.

How many request has ever being turned down by both the national or state assembly?

Just pray they use the loan fot intended purposes

6 Likes

Re: Buhari, Saraki Strike Deal Over $29.9b Loan Request by Siberia101: 6:04am On Nov 06, 2016
Financial Slavery grin cheesy grin grin

23 Likes

Re: Buhari, Saraki Strike Deal Over $29.9b Loan Request by omenka(m): 6:14am On Nov 06, 2016
They've started arriving again to criticise, insult, and state a billion reasons why the loan shouldn't be approved by the Senate.

These same people wept, wailed and whined endlessly on another thread over how their region was "left out" (even though it was just the usual we-are-being-marginalised lies they flood cyberspace with daily) of the regions where the critical infrastructures are to be sited.

I would embrace any lawful move taken by mr President to take us out of this economic doldrums occasioned largely by the wastefulness of corruption of the Ineffectual Buffoon.

#InBabaITrust.

#InNigeriaIBelieve.

45 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Buhari, Saraki Strike Deal Over $29.9b Loan Request by orunto27: 6:17am On Nov 06, 2016
Now becoming " A PRESIDENTIAL FIAT". Laugh laugh sticks on a la carte!!!!
Re: Buhari, Saraki Strike Deal Over $29.9b Loan Request by Nobody: 6:17am On Nov 06, 2016
Using debt to finance infrastructure is a sound strategy world over; debt financing is not a bad thing. However, I am worried, very worried.

Nigeria has an unfortunate history of turning all things sound and prudent into disasters. Would this loan be any different? The people at the top want us all to believe that our institutions have become more transparent and accountable in the period starting from May 29th, 2015 owing to the stern mien and righteous body odour (language) of Mr. President, every sane person, every right thinking Nigerian knows this not to be the case.

How faithfully would the borrowed funds--In the event the loan request is approved-- be appropriated? How much inflation would hit these contracts? How much of the funds would be judiciously applied? Is this another case of vultures circling above at the sight of an impending meal?

I would have said: "let us wait, time would tell" but in cases of importance to national growth and prosperity, getting it wrong spells doom for my generation, the one after me and lots more.

We struggled hard to come off the claws of the Paris Club. I remember how happy well meaning Nigerians were when that historic event happened. The general consensus was: "never again would we be so indebted" But now, it seems we are headily going back to the things we said never again to.

85 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Buhari, Saraki Strike Deal Over $29.9b Loan Request by Nobody: 6:20am On Nov 06, 2016
omenka:
They've started arriving again to criticise, insult, and state a billion reasons why the loan shouldn't be approved by the Senate.

These same people wept, wailed and whined endlessly on another thread over how their region was "left out" of the regions where the critical infrastructures are to be sited.

Cutting the East out of the loan is nothing but wickedness at best. All Nigerians should share in both the spoils and the responsibility. Do you mean we can pay tax but not enjoy amenities?

73 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Buhari, Saraki Strike Deal Over $29.9b Loan Request by omenka(m): 6:34am On Nov 06, 2016
WriteBoy:

Cutting the East out of the loan is nothing but wickedness at best. All Nigerians should share in both the spoils and the responsibility. Do you mean we can pay tax but not enjoy amenities?
You know I don't like responding to any of "you people" because it always amounts to sheer waste of energy and time doing so.

Did you see me mention "East" anywhere Do you need glasses to see clearly??

Abeg just stay your lane this morning my brother.

Thank you.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari, Saraki Strike Deal Over $29.9b Loan Request by Nobody: 6:39am On Nov 06, 2016
omenka:
You know I don't like responding to any of "you people" because it always amounts to sheer waste of energy and time doing so.

Did you see me mention "East" anywhere Do you need glasses to see clearly??

Abeg just stay your lane this morning my brother.

Thank you.

Well, I must apologize for falling for your bait. My lane has never looked more inviting!

69 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari, Saraki Strike Deal Over $29.9b Loan Request by okosodo: 6:42am On Nov 06, 2016
They should collect from the over $100 billion dollars that mr. Lie told us they have recovered

28 Likes

Re: Buhari, Saraki Strike Deal Over $29.9b Loan Request by seunmsg(m): 6:46am On Nov 06, 2016
WriteBoy:

You people should stop lying, all Nigerians will benefit from the projects that will be executed with the loan. The Manbilla hydro dam, Lagos-Calabar railway and Lagos-Kano railway will benefit all Nigerians equally.

The Lagos-calabar railway will pass through the commercial city of Aba in Abia state. There are other projects that will be executed with the loans that we are not even aware of as the details of the proposal is still unclear. You guys should stop crying wolf when none exist.

18 Likes

Re: Buhari, Saraki Strike Deal Over $29.9b Loan Request by Adaowerri111: 6:48am On Nov 06, 2016
I know the initial gra gra won't last

1 Like

Re: Buhari, Saraki Strike Deal Over $29.9b Loan Request by YNWA1: 6:49am On Nov 06, 2016
Ok
Re: Buhari, Saraki Strike Deal Over $29.9b Loan Request by Nobody: 6:56am On Nov 06, 2016
seunmsg:

You people should stop lying, all Nigerians will benefit from the projects that will be executed with the loan. The Manbilla hydro dam, Lagos-Calabar railway and Lagos-Kano railway will benefit all Nigerians equally.

The Lagos-calabar railway will pass through the commercial city of Aba in Abia state. There are other projects that will be executed with the loans that we are not even aware of as the details of the proposal is still unclear. You guys should stop crying wolf when none exist.

We have to cry wolf my brother, because in the absence of such a cry, the shroud may be passed over our eyes again.

Knowing the present atmosphere on ground, the obvious disenchantment of the East with the Federal government owing to years of neglect and Mr. President's tension rousing statements --5 percenters comes to mind-- and obvious mistrust all Nigerians (not a single region mind you) have with the government when it comes to money and other sensitive issues, it behooves the government to be as transparent as possible in all the processes leading up to the request in the senate.

If the government had been as open as should be, YOU would know the exact details of the proposed loan expenditure, even the senate doesn't! And you say no one should cry wolf?

No brother! We would cry and cry until things are righted.

35 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari, Saraki Strike Deal Over $29.9b Loan Request by Hiploko(m): 7:00am On Nov 06, 2016
omenka:

These same people wept, wailed and whined endlessly on another thread over how their region was "left out" (even though it was just the usual we-are-being-marginalised lies the flood cyberspace with daily) of the regions where the critical infrastructures are to be sited.

I would embrace any lawful move taken by mr President to take us out of this economic doldrums occasioned largely by the wastefulness of corruption of the Ineffectual Buffoon.

#InBabaITrust.

#InNigeriaIBelieve.
occasioned largely by the *ineffectual Buuffon*...2016 version. Oya tell us Mr Zombie who chairman-ed the 1984 recession version..

33 Likes

Re: Buhari, Saraki Strike Deal Over $29.9b Loan Request by modath(f): 7:03am On Nov 06, 2016
omenka:

These same people wept, wailed and whined endlessly on another thread over how their region was "left out" (even though it was just the usual we-are-being-marginalised lies the flood cyberspace with daily) of the regions where the critical infrastructures are to be sited.

#InBabaITrust.

#InNigeriaIBelieve.

Haters gonna hate!! It's their calling in life. smiley

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Buhari, Saraki Strike Deal Over $29.9b Loan Request by seunmsg(m): 7:06am On Nov 06, 2016
WriteBoy:

We have to cry wolf my brother, because in the absence of such a cry, the shroud may be passed over our eyes again.

Knowing the present atmosphere on ground, the obvious disenchantment of the East with the Federal government owing to years of neglect and Mr. President's tension rousing statements --5 percenters comes to mind-- and obvious mistrust all Nigerians (not a single region mind you) have with the government when it comes to money and other sensitive issues, it behooves the government to be as transparent as possible in all the processes leading up to the request in the senate.

If the government had been as open as should be, YOU would know the exact details of the proposed loan expenditure, even the senate doesn't! And you say no one should cry wolf?

No brother! We would cry and cry until things are righted.

At least, we know that a part of the loan will be used to build the Manbilla hydro dam. South east and indeed, all parts of Nigeria will benefit equally from the electricity that would be generated from this project.

We also know that the Lagos-calabar railway line will be built from the loan. The railway will pass through the commercial town of Aba in Abia state. This project, when completed will greatly assist Igbo traders in moving their goods from Lagos to the east and to other parts of south south. So, what benefits are you talking about again?

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari, Saraki Strike Deal Over $29.9b Loan Request by modath(f): 7:08am On Nov 06, 2016
Adaowerri111:
I know the initial gra gra won't last

Of course, they probably wanted to shake down the executive & squeeze something for themselves ... They may be greedy & unfeeling , they aren't hard headed enough to face the collective will of the people...

Sooner rather than later, if the loan isn't accessed, people will turn on them, tie the economic issues to them & they can't afford to have that on their plates join the ad image of feeding fat on their obscene salary, they have too much to lose...

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari, Saraki Strike Deal Over $29.9b Loan Request by Ratello: 7:15am On Nov 06, 2016
WriteBoy:
Using debt to finance infrastructure is a sound strategy world over; debt financing is not a bad thing. However, I am worried, very worried.

Nigeria has an unfortunate history of turning all things sound and prudent into disasters. Would this loan be any different? The people at the top want us all to believe that our institutions have become more transparent and accountable in the period starting from May 29th, 2015 owing to the the stern mien and righteous body odour (language) of Mr. President, every sane person, every right thinking Nigerian knows this not to be the case.

How faithfully would the borrowed funds--In the event the loan request is approved-- be appropriated? How much inflation would hit these contracts? How much of the funds would be judiciously applied? Is this a another case of vultures circling above at the sight of an impending meal?

I would have said: "let us wait, time would tell" but in cases of importance to national growth and prosperity, getting it wrong spells doom for my generation, the one after me and lots more.

We struggled real hard to come off the claws of the Paris Club. I remember how happy well meaning Nigerians were when that historic event happened. The general consensus was: "never again would we be so indebted" But now, it seems we are headily going back to the things we said never again to.

Respect to you sir, I concur totally with your submissions here you really are one sounded buff.

17 Likes

Re: Buhari, Saraki Strike Deal Over $29.9b Loan Request by apcisevil: 7:18am On Nov 06, 2016
seunmsg:

At least, we know that a part of the loan will be used to build the Manbilla hydro dam. South east and indeed, all parts of Nigeria will benefit equally from the electricity that would be generated from this project.

We also know that the Lagos-calabar railway line will be built from the loan. The railway will pass through the commercial town of Aba in Abia state. This project, when completed will greatly assist Igbo traders in moving their goods from Lagos to the east and to other parts of south south. So, what benefits are you talking about again?
Yes in your myopic zombie mind, the SE is the only region good at benefiting indirectly while other regions benefit directly... what is wrong if SE benefit directly while others benefit indirectly? Evil people

43 Likes

Re: Buhari, Saraki Strike Deal Over $29.9b Loan Request by omenka(m): 7:20am On Nov 06, 2016
modath:

Haters gonna hate!! It's their calling in life. smiley

That one says "years of neglect by the FG" is responsible for the opposition of their region to just about every single action this this government takes. What a white lie!

Why wasnt there any such opposition under the era of the ineffectual buffoon or isnt his regime captured in the "years" he talks about? Where was their conscience back then?

The nonsense is simply because of two things:

1. Buhari defeated a candidate behind whom they threw 100% of their weight.

2. Religious bigotry made worse by the hate doctrine being promoted by iPod.

"Years of neglect" my brown eye- yet they called themselves "Ambassadors of Nigeria" (TAN).

Nonsense.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari, Saraki Strike Deal Over $29.9b Loan Request by modath(f): 7:26am On Nov 06, 2016
Ratello:

Respect to you sir, I concur totally with your submissions here you really are one sounded buff.

Since you concur totally & didn't pick & choose, imma hold this as evidence for when you guys raise unholy hell when the subject of [b]squandering of reserves (& general low standards) by the prodigal IB comes up.. smiley

3 Likes

Re: Buhari, Saraki Strike Deal Over $29.9b Loan Request by seunmsg(m): 7:29am On Nov 06, 2016
apcisevil:

Yes in your myopic zombie mind, the SE is the only region good at benefiting indirectly while other regions benefit directly... what is wrong if SE benefit directly while others benefit indirectly? Evil people

What do you mean by benefiting directly? Will Igbos not benefit directly from the electricity that would be generated from Mambilla or will Aba traders not benefit directly from the railway that passes through their city?

4 Likes

Re: Buhari, Saraki Strike Deal Over $29.9b Loan Request by Hiploko(m): 7:33am On Nov 06, 2016
seunmsg:

What do you mean by benefiting directly? Will Igbos not benefit directly from the electricity that would be generated from Mambilla or will Aba traders not benefit directly from the railway that passes through their city?
ideologies like these are very evil and dangerous. It is better left for witchcrafts. And you know what I mean

22 Likes

Re: Buhari, Saraki Strike Deal Over $29.9b Loan Request by TroubleMaker47(m): 8:49am On Nov 06, 2016
We have bern mortgaged!

Paris club loading!
And when all the chips are down, the shameless afonjas and almajiris would come running to another Okonji Iweala for debt relief!

22 Likes

Re: Buhari, Saraki Strike Deal Over $29.9b Loan Request by EnEnPeecee: 8:51am On Nov 06, 2016
grin

Saraki trying every means possible to please the dullard all on account of soft-landing because of His travails in CCT

Useless corruption fighting mugu. Useless Saraki. Useless APC government.

I rest my case

2 Likes

Re: Buhari, Saraki Strike Deal Over $29.9b Loan Request by Akinz0126(m): 8:51am On Nov 06, 2016
Well let's see how things unfold but am sure Buhari has no idea what he's getting himself into only to wake up on a beautiful day and realized he had been scammed by his coherent.As for the sharia bill Many gullible Nigerian Christians including the VP who had been kept at bay still hasn't realised the hidden Agenda of Buhari and his folks I just hope it's won't be dawn on Us all before we realised islamization of Nigeria is not just mere speculation.

Hppy Sunday buddies

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari, Saraki Strike Deal Over $29.9b Loan Request by Profkomolafe(m): 8:52am On Nov 06, 2016
undecided Nigerians Don enter another one chance with this romance, leaving burdens for the unborn children.
Re: Buhari, Saraki Strike Deal Over $29.9b Loan Request by Lanre4uonly(m): 8:52am On Nov 06, 2016
Well, if the loan would be truly use to pursue the aforementioned projects & have a positive impact on the country's economy. I think the process of approving the loan should be given the second chance.

1 Like

Re: Buhari, Saraki Strike Deal Over $29.9b Loan Request by erico2k2(m): 8:53am On Nov 06, 2016
WriteBoy:

Nigeria has an unfortunate history of turning all things sound and prudent into disasters. Would this loan be any different? The people at the top want us all to believe that our institutions have become more transparent and accountable in the period starting from May 29th, 2015 owing to the the stern mien and righteous body odour (language) of Mr. President, every sane person, every right thinking Nigerian knows this not to be the case.

How faithfully would the borrowed funds--In the event the loan request is approved-- be appropriated? How much inflation would hit these contracts? How much of the funds would be judiciously applied? Is this a another case of vultures circling above at the sight of an impending meal?

We struggled real hard to come off the claws of the Paris Club. I remember how happy well meaning Nigerians were when that historic event happened. The general consensus was: "never again would we be so indebted" But now, it seems we are headily going back to the things we said never again to.

SOmeone wrote about how we Nigerians react to act carried out by our politicians, and you proved him right.I will look for that post in a bit.Since when have any politician in the HISTORY OF NIGERIA USED DEBT MONEY TO CREATE THESE INFRASTRUCTURES WE CRAVE FOR?

2 Likes

Re: Buhari, Saraki Strike Deal Over $29.9b Loan Request by canalily(m): 8:54am On Nov 06, 2016
Saraka abi na saraki, so u ar nw a toy to be played onundecided buhari is now pressing u pim- pon pim-pon to tel u what to do eenhundecided ur grandchildren wil be involved wen the original deal strikesangry

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Court Orders Interim Forfeiture Of Mompha's Designer Glasses, Wristwatches / APC, Ajimobi Leading In Oyo / Throwback Photos Of Nigerian Senators

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.