Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,836 members, 7,810,214 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:10 AM

English And Literature Is A Course For Never-do-wells? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / English And Literature Is A Course For Never-do-wells? (1203 Views)

How Tough Is Medicine And Surgery As A Course? / 2015 Waec Civic And Literature Question Ans Answers Release / English Language And Literature Online Tutorial For Jamb (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

English And Literature Is A Course For Never-do-wells? by slap1(m): 10:08am On Oct 30, 2009
This post was prompted as a result of the replies to a post I had earlier posted on NL. In the post I had asked if anyone in the House got an admission and had further submitted that I got one to study my “dream course”, English & Lit.

It was at this point, perhaps, that I apparently ‘offended’ some people who believe that I must be really out of my mind to see English & Lit. as a “dream course”. There were other opposing replies, though, which I’ve decided to give little thought.

Again, I would not have bothered to post this rejoinder (you may call it) if, from the path a good number of the replies tend to tow, it does not imply that we have an overwhelming number of unreasonable people in the House.

It would appear, from some of the replies, that there are courses classified as ‘Dream Courses’ by, say, JAMB, ASUU, or even UNICEF and WHO. Someone said the above course was for never-do-wells, while quickly avoiding, obviously a fall-out of his ignorance, to name the lucky courses that occupy the envious list for the ‘do-wells’. At this point, I’d welcome a list of ‘Dream Courses’ and why they are thus called.

Finally, I present this question: are there courses for never-do-wells? Is English & Literature a course for never-do-wells?
Re: English And Literature Is A Course For Never-do-wells? by SEFAGO(m): 10:28am On Oct 30, 2009
well soyinka an dachebe both studied these two courses- see how never-do-wells they became.
Re: English And Literature Is A Course For Never-do-wells? by Spyker: 11:29am On Oct 30, 2009
My dear, i thank God that you called it YOUR DREAM COURSE because those who don't have a dream don't really have much. You see, it is only in Nigeria that they label some courses BIG while other courses SMALL. You can make it if you really love it and that is what life is all about.
See how this country of ours is failing, for example, the wife of the President represented Nigeria in an Energy summit when there are Professors of Physics there. During Abacha days, a man who studied fishery was made a Manager in NNPC, what a shame. Square pegs in round holes.
If you do well in your dream course, do you know how much you will be paid just to read through somebody's work or at lectures or seminars. What about writing books, novels e.t.c. What about lecturing as a Career, English is an international course and so you can be employed in any country.
My friend recently got admission into a Malaysian university (UCIS) and he told me they are in need of Lectures in the humanities because the institution has been admitting International students and English is compulsory for non speaking English students.
Forget about the views of some Nairalanders, i believe their judgment is base purely from the Nigerian perspective.

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

The Most Common Errors In English Language / U.n.n Nsugbe Last Batch Admission 2012 Out / Physics Vs Chemistry

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.