Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,546 members, 7,816,324 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:34 AM

What's The Difference Between Gaining Independence And Becoming A Republic? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What's The Difference Between Gaining Independence And Becoming A Republic? (5992 Views)

Fascinating Photos Of Nigeria Taken Decades Before Its Independence And After. / Igbo's Cannot Be Seeking Economic Independence And Still Be Talking South South / We Shall Declare Niger Delta A Republic On August 1 – Militants (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

What's The Difference Between Gaining Independence And Becoming A Republic? by MrImole: 6:30pm On Nov 06, 2016
Nigeria gained independence in 1960 but became a republic in 1963....

I don't understand this, I need someone to school me.

mynd44 Lalasticlala

1 Like

Re: What's The Difference Between Gaining Independence And Becoming A Republic? by bigtt76(f): 6:58pm On Nov 06, 2016
Prior to gaining independence, Nigeria was ruled by a Governor-General nominated by the Queen. S/he is answerable to the queen and is usually from the UK.

Gaining Independence meant that the queen ruled Nigeria through a Nigerian appointed Governor-General.

Becoming a republic meant holding of elections by the Independent country and electing her own rulers. This meant, the Queen no longer holds sovereign over Nigeria. Each successful election year begins a new republic. I hope this helps.

MrImole:

mynd44 Lalasticlala

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What's The Difference Between Gaining Independence And Becoming A Republic? by Nobody: 7:01pm On Nov 06, 2016
Independence - Britain gave it authority to govern itself but it still remained British territory

Republic - Complete cut off from Britain. They become "equal" in terms of nationhood. Nigeria not answerable to Britain

Another difference is that the territory got a prime minister when it was granted independence (not sure about Nigeria but this was the case in other colonies) but after the country became a Republic, it got a president.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What's The Difference Between Gaining Independence And Becoming A Republic? by Tolexander: 7:20pm On Nov 06, 2016
MrImole:

mynd44 Lalasticlala
A Republic has no monarch as her leader (Head of state or government), the supreme power is vested on the citizens and their representatives.
From 1960 to 63, Nigeria was an independent state without full sovereignty and a republic because she had Queen Elizabeth ii as the head of state.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: What's The Difference Between Gaining Independence And Becoming A Republic? by Nobody: 7:29pm On Nov 06, 2016
Tolexander:
A Republic has no monarch as her leader, the supreme power is vested on the citizens and their representatives.
From 1960 to 63, Nigeria was an independent state without full sovereignty and a republic because she had Queen Elizabeth ii as the head of state.
in addition, a republic ushers in a newly democratically elected government with a new constitution.
Re: What's The Difference Between Gaining Independence And Becoming A Republic? by Nobody: 7:33pm On Nov 06, 2016
Tolexander:
A Republic has no monarch as her leader, the supreme power is vested on the citizens and their representatives.
you are right!
Re: What's The Difference Between Gaining Independence And Becoming A Republic? by Oyiboman69: 7:45pm On Nov 06, 2016
Nice questions and answers....this is the only thing I learn from this forum today tongue
Re: What's The Difference Between Gaining Independence And Becoming A Republic? by MrImole: 10:31am On Nov 08, 2016
People need to learn, please move this to front page.

PLEASE...

Seun lalasticlala mynd44 Dominique modath omenka tonyebarcanista firefire
Re: What's The Difference Between Gaining Independence And Becoming A Republic? by Nobody: 10:52am On Nov 08, 2016
When you become a Republic, you choose who lead you from among yourselves, have your own crafted constitution and separate organs of government that act as checks and balance to one another.
Re: What's The Difference Between Gaining Independence And Becoming A Republic? by SlayerSupreme: 10:52am On Nov 08, 2016
Great thread.
Re: What's The Difference Between Gaining Independence And Becoming A Republic? by Nobody: 10:55am On Nov 08, 2016
I think this story should gain independence on front page.

Where is lalasticlala now sef?
Re: What's The Difference Between Gaining Independence And Becoming A Republic? by TonyeBarcanista(m): 11:08am On Nov 08, 2016
MrImole:
People need to learn, please move this to front page.

PLEASE...

Seun lalasticlala mynd44 Dominique modath omenka tonyebarcanista firefire

OP see it this way using USA and Canada.

USA elects her President, who is the head of state and head of government.

In Canada, the Prime minister is the head of government, while the British Monarch is the Head of State. N/B in hierarchy, the head of State is higher than head of government.

Both countries are independent but only USA is a Republic. Canada is not yet a republic.

Hope, that gives an idea.

1 Like

Re: What's The Difference Between Gaining Independence And Becoming A Republic? by MrImole: 7:02am On Nov 09, 2016
TonyeBarcanista:

In Canada, the Prime minister is the head of government, while the British Monarch is the Head of State. N/B in hierarchy, the head of State is higher than head of government.

Both countries are independent but only USA is a Republic. Canada is not yet a republic.

Thanks brother

1 Like

Re: What's The Difference Between Gaining Independence And Becoming A Republic? by eunisam: 7:28am On Nov 09, 2016
nice rightup
Re: What's The Difference Between Gaining Independence And Becoming A Republic? by Histrings08(m): 7:36am On Nov 09, 2016
This is really educating, I've asked myself this question several times... Thanks to everyone that has contributed reasonably

1 Like

Re: What's The Difference Between Gaining Independence And Becoming A Republic? by MrImole: 5:21pm On Nov 09, 2016
Seun lalasticlala mynd44
Re: What's The Difference Between Gaining Independence And Becoming A Republic? by Nobody: 5:51pm On Nov 09, 2016
TonyeBarcanista:

Canada not a republic? WTF! I'm so surprised to know this. Ignorant me! I thought their Prime Minister Trudeux was really indpeendent of the British throne.
But Canada is so well governed, don't think I'd want them become Republic. They're beautiful, developed, calm, organized and peaceful already, I wouldn't want more.

1 Like

Re: What's The Difference Between Gaining Independence And Becoming A Republic? by MrImole: 12:17pm On Nov 16, 2016
Lalasticlala mynd44 Seun, it's not too late, let people gain on this thread, it's an educative one, KINDLY PUSH IT TO FRONT PAGE.
Re: What's The Difference Between Gaining Independence And Becoming A Republic? by masseratti: 12:28pm On Nov 16, 2016
You all are very wrong, Op gaining Independent simply means under your own Authority and sovereignty, you make your rules and your laws without any outside or foreign approval.

To be a Republic simply means all citizens of the Nation are equal and can get into any position they wish to, before Nigeria became a republic we had the house of chiefs, just like they have the house of lords in the Uk, you cannot get into the House of chief if you are not born royal, that means we all are not equal.

Azikwe was the 1st Governor General representing the Crown of England.
Re: What's The Difference Between Gaining Independence And Becoming A Republic? by NDprudent(m): 12:49pm On Nov 16, 2016
Nice thread.

I've always heard about Nigeria's 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th republic.....who would kindly explain that?
Re: What's The Difference Between Gaining Independence And Becoming A Republic? by MrImole: 3:37pm On Nov 16, 2016
You keep moving mediocre threads to front page and you leave the ones people can gain from...

What's wrong with you people?

What concerns people about Tonto dike's clothes?

This site used to be remarkable 10years ago, it was an avenue to learn...

Seun Lalasticlala mynd44 Dominique ishilove

Ban me if you want to...

I don't fucking care.

NONSENSE!
Re: What's The Difference Between Gaining Independence And Becoming A Republic? by Arielle: 6:01pm On Nov 16, 2016
Funnicator:

Canada not a republic? WTF! I'm so surprised to know this. Ignorant me! I thought their Prime Minister Trudeux was really indpeendent of the British throne.
But Canada is so well governed, don't think I'd want them become Republic. They're beautiful, developed, calm, organized and peaceful already, I wouldn't want more.

I think there was a referendum some years ago, asking Canadians if they wanted out, that is become a Republic and no longer have the Queen as head of state. Canadians liked it just fine. Go figure. I guess it works for them. And why is this thread not on the front page angry
Re: What's The Difference Between Gaining Independence And Becoming A Republic? by MrImole: 5:24am On Dec 19, 2016
seriously?
Seun Mynd44 lalasticlala
Re: What's The Difference Between Gaining Independence And Becoming A Republic? by azimibraun: 5:34am On Dec 19, 2016
So what does Biafra has now?
Re: What's The Difference Between Gaining Independence And Becoming A Republic? by Nobody: 6:04am On Dec 19, 2016
Go read your SS3 Government textbook and stop disturbing people here. If I see this on headline, the mod that pushed it will do frog jump.

Nairaland is not for toddlers.undecided
Re: What's The Difference Between Gaining Independence And Becoming A Republic? by Femich18(m): 8:20am On Dec 19, 2016
bigtt76:
Prior to gaining independence, Nigeria was ruled by a Governor-General nominated by the Queen. S/he is answerable to the queen and is usually from the UK.

Gaining Independence meant that the queen ruled Nigeria through a Nigerian appointed Governor-General.

Becoming a republic meant holding of elections by the Independent country and electing her own rulers. This meant, the Queen no longer holds sovereign over Nigeria. Each successful election year begins a new republic. I hope this helps.

Gbam
Re: What's The Difference Between Gaining Independence And Becoming A Republic? by MrImole: 1:46am On Jan 28, 2017
SirJeffry:
Go read your SS3 Government textbook and stop disturbing people here. If I see this on headline, the mod that pushed it will do frog jump.

Nairaland is not for toddlers.undecided

What's the source of your problem?
Re: What's The Difference Between Gaining Independence And Becoming A Republic? by Nobody: 5:12am On Jan 28, 2017
Funnicator:

The Queen of England also has the title, the Queen of Canada. She is also Queen of Australia, Newzealand, Jamaica and other former colonies that are not republics.

1 Like

Re: What's The Difference Between Gaining Independence And Becoming A Republic? by Armstrong34(m): 7:17am On Jan 28, 2017
Make I fence my Land for heregrin
Re: What's The Difference Between Gaining Independence And Becoming A Republic? by Canme4u(m): 7:46am On Jan 28, 2017
I leanrt something today.
Re: What's The Difference Between Gaining Independence And Becoming A Republic? by MrImole: 2:51pm On Feb 13, 2017
Canme4u:
I leanrt something today.

What's the problem of the moderators here? They keep pushing unnessessary topics to front page while leaving the ones that are VERY educative.

Seun lalasticlala Dominique and mynd44, you're losing it.
I do not care if you ban me till 2099. Abi wetin concern me with "who wore it better, Tonto Dike or Ini Edo?"

You had better retrace your steps before it is too late.

2 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (Reply)

APC-PCC Accept members of Atiku Support Organization To Tinubu's Camp / Can You Interpret Why Wike Is Looking At Gov Fubara Like This At Pdp Nec Meeting / Nigeria Should Have Four Capital Cities

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.