Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,142 members, 7,815,003 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 04:24 AM

Federal Government Suspends Fuel Importation (Says LeadershipNigeria) - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Federal Government Suspends Fuel Importation (Says LeadershipNigeria) (3742 Views)

Fuel Crisis: 5 Reasons Why Buhari Cannot Stop Fuel Importation / Nigeria Spends $6bn Annually On Vehicle Importation, Says Aganga / Marketers To Suspend Fuel Importation Over N356.2bn Unpaid Subsidy Claims (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Federal Government Suspends Fuel Importation (Says LeadershipNigeria) by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 5:43pm On Nov 06, 2009
George_D:

you strike me as someone who doesn't know jack what he's writing about angry

No vex, bros, what are you on about? what exactly has the NLC done to contribute meaningfully to this situation smiley
Re: Federal Government Suspends Fuel Importation (Says LeadershipNigeria) by GeorgeD1(m): 6:00pm On Nov 06, 2009
without the nlc, you'd be buying fuel for N250 per littre by now.
Re: Federal Government Suspends Fuel Importation (Says LeadershipNigeria) by revolt(m): 6:23pm On Nov 06, 2009
youths of nigeria why do we waste our time arguing i was suprised someone said da solution to our problems is vote pdp. i guess tobs is not nigerian. well whe we get hungry enough well start the revolution
Re: Federal Government Suspends Fuel Importation (Says LeadershipNigeria) by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 6:48pm On Nov 06, 2009
George_D:

without the nlc, you'd be buying fuel for N250 per littre by now.

I am hard-pressed to agree there. that the NLC came out en-masse and the FG retraced their steps after months of FEC meetings on this de-regulation issue and with all the economists and intellectuals who put in hours to come up with a recommendation backed by facts. they decide to throw in and think-up some other plan?

To my knowledge a Labour union is like a cartel Unions argue that they can raise their members' wages, but few people understand the economic theory explaining how they do this. Unions are labor cartels. Cartels work by restricting the supply of what they produce so that consumers will have to pay higher prices for it. OPEC, the best-known cartel, attempts to raise the price of oil by cutting oil production. As labor cartels, unions attempt to monopolize the labor supplied to a company or an industry in order to force employers to pay higher wages. they function like any other cartel and have the same effects on the economy. Cartels benefit their members in the short run and harm the overall economy.

What is the NLC? is it organized labour? if so, they actually protect worker wages from the effects of a price hike that de-regulation will cause, they are not actually helping the economy there are they?

What i feel they should be doing is expanding their traditional role as labour mafias and becoming economic strategists, it is not all about wage increase and better working conditions, all of which is transferred to general consumers as higher prices (inflation) and the lower sales which hurt the economy rather then help. they should take the global economic plan of FG and leverage their active membership to lobby for worker-friendlier policies that allow harsh economic policies to work with less pains.

My grouse is that the Oil/Gas industry went through 2 decades of gas flaring/failing refineries and power-problems that have brought us to this situation we are in today. I bet thousands of people lost their jobs. If the NLC had been proactive and pulled their weight to make inputs to change FG irresponsibility or in-action, we would have lesser problems than this. They would rather fight for better wages to balance with harsher economic policies, FG does not just print monies for the sae of it, someone or something is going to suffer for it in the near future
Re: Federal Government Suspends Fuel Importation (Says LeadershipNigeria) by GeorgeD1(m): 5:49pm On Nov 07, 2009
you don't still get it. fighting for better wages and resisting fuel price hike must go hand in hand. what use is a fat salary when you have to spend everything on fueling and tranportation before the end of the month?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Amnesty Or Not This Can't Stop(pics) / Lekki-ikoyi Bridge / Exclusive: Boko Haram Begins Recruitment Of Yoruba Youths

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.