Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,488 members, 7,819,772 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:56 PM

SOS To Fashola - Save Our Schools - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / SOS To Fashola - Save Our Schools (950 Views)

Ambode Presents Gift To Fashola At Law Dinner (Photos) / Agbaje’s Response To Fashola’s Tax Indictment / Prophet To Fashola: Re-open Yaba Railway Market Or Lose Your Children (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

SOS To Fashola - Save Our Schools by SapeleGuy: 9:31pm On Oct 30, 2009
'We write on the floor'

http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/News/Metro/5475649-146/%27We_write_on_the_floor%27_.csp
By Gbenro Adeoye

October 30, 2009 02:22PMT
Print print Email email Share Share

It is over a month into the new school session, but it is still a sitting affair for some pupils at Aunty Ayo Girls Comprehensive Junior Secondary School in Ikoyi, Lagos, on Thursday when NEXT visited.

With a policy that requires school pupils to bring chairs and lockers for class use to school, the situation in Aunty Ayo is true of many public schools in the state. A majority of the pupils have to make do on the floor pending a time when their parents will buy the required furniture.

Aminat Yunus, a junior secondary school one (JSS1) pupil said she had passionately looked forward to secondary education, and the facilities that would come with it. According to her, receiving lectures on the floor never featured in those expectations.

She said: "It's not convenient to write on the floor at all, but that is where those of us without chairs and lockers write. I am still waiting for my own; my parents have not made them for me yet."

Adunola, another pupil of JSS1 is also eager to have her ‘own furniture', even though she, along with her friends have devised a method of writing, which she considered effective under the circumstance; they have been writing on their school-bags, placed firmly on their legs.

Ms Adunola said: "That is what we do, and it's easier that way. Another one is if you have a friend that has bought her furniture; she may invite you to join her."

Earlier in the day, a Parents Teachers Association (PTA) meeting was held to address the issue among others. According to the PTA Chairperson, Mr. Adeleye, who spoke to NEXT on the phone after the meeting, the issue featured prominently in their meeting.

He said that the Association has sent letters to the State Government in the past over the issue, without getting the desired response; except for a specification of what type of furniture to provide, and with what material.

He also added that the situation was also affected by the relocation of a satellite campus of the Lagos State Polytechnic (LASPOTECH) which used to hold its lectures within the premises of the secondary school. Some of the pupils benefitted from the furniture provided by LASPOTECH before it moved.

"Now, we have been told that the chairs we make for the students should be made of mahogany wood, and that it should be double, and that means it should long enough to take two students. So the names of the students (pair) will be written on the seats," said Mr. Adeleye.

He added: "We (Parents) can't continue to wait for the government and leave our children to sit on the floor; that's why the parents have to make the chairs for their children. If any parent does not do that, there is nothing else we can do; his child will be left to sit on the floor."

Earlier this year, at a press briefing marking the second anniversary of this administration, Sarah Sosan, the deputy governor had said," I don't think the standard of education is low. We need to improve on factors and we've been doing that through the rehabilitation of science laboratories, provision of libraries, putting of furniture in place, and so on. We are also aggressively putting structures in place to reduce congestion in our schools.

I am proud to say that our public schools in Lagos are wonderful. Who says that the public schools are not good enough?"

Re: SOS To Fashola - Save Our Schools by SapeleGuy: 9:52pm On Oct 30, 2009
How can you ask children to carry their own chairs and tables to school in 2009?
This level of corruption is unacceptable.
Re: SOS To Fashola - Save Our Schools by Fhemmmy: 9:55pm On Oct 30, 2009
I remember that the practice to taking your own chairs and tables to school has been going on since i was a kid, i hope this will all change, however, if that is all it will take for the kids to be educated, i will advice the parents to just do it, at least for the sake of the kids, cos no child deserves sitting on the concrete to learn anything.
Re: SOS To Fashola - Save Our Schools by naijatoday: 10:19pm On Oct 30, 2009
This is bad and can you imagine the rubbish Sarah Sosan is saying. This is nothing to be proud about.
Re: SOS To Fashola - Save Our Schools by SapeleGuy: 10:48pm On Oct 30, 2009
The most annoying thing is that somebody is 'chopping bellefull' from the contract to supply chairs and tables.
Re: SOS To Fashola - Save Our Schools by mekuslogan: 10:54pm On Oct 30, 2009
Eko ti baje! Hahahahah! grin grin grin grin grin
Re: SOS To Fashola - Save Our Schools by Kobojunkie: 11:00pm On Oct 30, 2009
Schools issues in Nigeria need to be tackled agressively!
Re: SOS To Fashola - Save Our Schools by folem: 3:21pm On Oct 31, 2009
angry sad
Re: SOS To Fashola - Save Our Schools by becomrich15: 3:28pm On Oct 31, 2009
And someone says we should not fight for our people right. they are joking.

And the other time someone claim, fbi are looking for me. That can not be true. you remember i put my number down as 1416 904 5008 so that the fbi can call me.

because i ask for the yorubas, edo, delta and bayelsa state to join republic of benin is not a crime , under any country. Even in canada , we have the party call The Bloc Québécois , what they even talk about is out of this world and they even run for premier minister, strong member of the opposition. 

And this party makes quebec to get thier fair share of the national cake.  They control quebec.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bloc_Qu%C3%A9b%C3%A9cois

In the USA , you have other parties with thier on issue, greeen party etc.

So been an advocate for the unification of our people is not a federal crime in nigeria or USA or canada or any country.  It is call freedom of expression.   And when you look at it, we yorubas are only trying to help the north get majority. They are minority from satellite picture.

And i still say, the FBI can give me a call.
Re: SOS To Fashola - Save Our Schools by SapeleGuy: 3:53pm On Oct 31, 2009
Becomrich - you haven't explained how power is going to be shared in this arrangement.

(1) (Reply)

Nairaland Political Action Committee (npac) / See Bad Bele O: Speaker, Others Shun Fashola’s 1,000-day Event / Female Hausa/fulani Joins The Bandwagon Of Thieving Bankers.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.