Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,089 members, 7,953,315 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 02:03 PM

Petroleum Engineering Vs Mechanical Engineering - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Petroleum Engineering Vs Mechanical Engineering (22711 Views)

Sylvia Nduaguba Chinwedu, IMSU Best Graduating Mechanical Engineering Student / Civil Engineering Vs Chemical Engineering / Chemical Engineering Vs Computer Science Which Has More Calculations??? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Petroleum Engineering Vs Mechanical Engineering by kowasco(m): 2:19pm On Nov 09, 2016
pls which is the best pls I need your comments I don't know the one to choose cuz am writing jamb next year any time I tell someone this one will say choose mech anoda will say it petroleum pls tell me in terms of employment and salary thanx

2 Likes

Re: Petroleum Engineering Vs Mechanical Engineering by dingbang(m): 2:22pm On Nov 09, 2016
In terms of employment, Mechanical engineering, in terms of salary, Mechanical engineering!!!

20 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Petroleum Engineering Vs Mechanical Engineering by Theyveedo(m): 2:29pm On Nov 09, 2016
Am studying pet but ll advise u to go for mech

16 Likes

Re: Petroleum Engineering Vs Mechanical Engineering by kowasco(m): 3:23pm On Nov 09, 2016
why pls

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Petroleum Engineering Vs Mechanical Engineering by kowasco(m): 3:23pm On Nov 09, 2016
Theyveedo:
Am studying pet but ll advise u to go for mech
why

2 Likes

Re: Petroleum Engineering Vs Mechanical Engineering by kowasco(m): 3:25pm On Nov 09, 2016
dingbang:
In terms of employment, Mechanical engineering, in terms of salary, Mechanical engineering!!!
but when I search it petroleum in terms of salary

1 Like

Re: Petroleum Engineering Vs Mechanical Engineering by dingbang(m): 4:12pm On Nov 09, 2016
kowasco:
yes but the question is, will u get a job in this country? wink think!

10 Likes

Re: Petroleum Engineering Vs Mechanical Engineering by NL1960: 5:37pm On Nov 09, 2016
kowasco:

I have always believe that petroleum is too narrow. What if you do not get a job in the oil industry?. Mechanical can work in the same oil industry and several other places.

25 Likes

Re: Petroleum Engineering Vs Mechanical Engineering by handsomebolanle: 8:56pm On Nov 09, 2016
I'm a Petroleum enginEer.... and if I'm to advise you... simply Go for mechanical engineer. You could also join SPE(Society Of Petroleum Engineer) in your school chapter and be involve in activities and conferences.... #Forget Salary for now..... Focus on opportunities in which Mechanical engineering is better. The Oil industry is is Multi-discipline...it's been very competitive in the oil and gas sector and I mean very competitive... Thank me later when you make the right choice.. Cheers

28 Likes

Re: Petroleum Engineering Vs Mechanical Engineering by Nobody: 6:53am On Nov 10, 2016

I think you should study Petroleum engineering

There are many job opportunities for Petroleum engineers, you can work in Fuel stations or sell Palm oil and vegetable oil

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Petroleum Engineering Vs Mechanical Engineering by Nobody: 6:53am On Nov 10, 2016
I'd prefer mechanical engineering over petroleum , mechanical graduates can switch to being petroleum engineers but...it is much easy for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than for ........ to become mechanical engineers.

1 Like

Re: Petroleum Engineering Vs Mechanical Engineering by richidinho(m): 6:53am On Nov 10, 2016
Go for ............

Am coming

1 Like

Do NOT make the mistake of choosing Petroleum Engineering. I'd strongly advise that you put in for Mechanical Engineering. Let's look at the reasons below:

1. Mech Eng is versatile compared to Pet. Eng. With your mechanical degree, you can be rest assured that you'd be able to work in numerous fields, in fact - in all fields. Mechanical engineers are in huge demand compared to Pet. Petroleum engineering is limited in terms of versatility. Think about what becomes of you if you're unable to secure employment in an oil & gas company.

2. The oil company has lost its glory days. The good old days are gone. The oil industry is highly volatile. You can be in today and out tomorrow due to the sensitivity of the industry to the prices of Brent. So, don't think because you studied Pet Eng, then you have an automatic ticket to work in the company. in fact, you'd still have to compete with hordes of engineers from other fields - electrical, mechanical, chemical, civil etc. If you check job adverts from oil companies, you'd see that job openings are always open to all engineering fields. in fact, we have more of electrical, mechanical and chemical engineers in the e&p industry compare to Pet eng.

3. Everything you will learn in your five years of study under Pet Eng could be learned in 1 year. Yes, 1 year. Facts and statistics shows that students from other engineering fields perform better than students with petroleum engineering background in a Master's class in Petroleum engineering. My point is that you'd see that most of the principles used in Pet Eng..are from advanced mathematics and physics. Mechanical engineers delve more into this than PE students. Talk about using complex mathematics principles such as Ordinary differential equations, partial differential equations, Laplace theorem etc to model fluid flow. PE students are not exposed indepth to these mathematical principles unlike their mehcnaical and electrical engineering counterparts.

My recommendation is that you should put in for mechanical engineering and pursue Petroleum engineering in your Master's.

48 Likes

Re: Petroleum Engineering Vs Mechanical Engineering by idris4r83(m): 6:54am On Nov 10, 2016
Mechanical engineering is arguably the best engineering course.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Petroleum Engineering Vs Mechanical Engineering by dreezybines: 6:54am On Nov 10, 2016
Why don't you ask God?? Pray about it bro... People will only tell you what they think is good, but God will give you the best option...

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Petroleum Engineering Vs Mechanical Engineering by TroubleMaker47(m): 6:56am On Nov 10, 2016
Mechanical is bae joor.
Greater opportunities.
U'r not limited to a field.
Arguably better pay.
Brighter career prospects.

Infact wia do I end? undecided

5 Likes

Re: Petroleum Engineering Vs Mechanical Engineering by MzMercie: 6:56am On Nov 10, 2016
Mechanical engineering, be versatile

2 Likes

Re: Petroleum Engineering Vs Mechanical Engineering by skubido(m): 6:56am On Nov 10, 2016
u guys should b aware of Tweakdata12. dat guy is fake. am just been scammed. morning to u all

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Petroleum Engineering Vs Mechanical Engineering by chiben1983: 6:57am On Nov 10, 2016
My brother go for mechanical. I am mechanical engineer and I earn 1m per month.

4 Likes

Re: Petroleum Engineering Vs Mechanical Engineering by veekid(m): 6:58am On Nov 10, 2016
Mechanical engineer

3 Likes

Re: Petroleum Engineering Vs Mechanical Engineering by Olasco93: 6:58am On Nov 10, 2016
First thing first is; Hope he's good in Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry and Further Mathematics if Yes, let him start from there and decide the one he can pursue.

3 Likes

Re: Petroleum Engineering Vs Mechanical Engineering by Nobody: 6:58am On Nov 10, 2016
skubido:
u guys should b aware of Tweakdata12. dat guy is fake. am just been scammed. morning to u all

How did it happened ??

1 Like

Re: Petroleum Engineering Vs Mechanical Engineering by Nobody: 6:59am On Nov 10, 2016
chiben1983:
My brother go for mechanical. I am mechanical engineer and I earn 1m per month.

1 million naira per month ??

You must be the Mechanical engineer that repairs the Generators that power hell fire

56 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Petroleum Engineering Vs Mechanical Engineering by Asuokaa: 6:59am On Nov 10, 2016
Is it for money(petrochemical) or passion (mechanical)

www.evilla.com.ng
Re: Petroleum Engineering Vs Mechanical Engineering by themonk(m): 7:01am On Nov 10, 2016
Choose Street grin

Na joke o
Re: Petroleum Engineering Vs Mechanical Engineering by friyor246(m): 7:02am On Nov 10, 2016
kowasco:
pls which is the best pls I need your comments I don't
know the one to choose cuz am writing jamb next year any time I tell someone this one will say choose mech anoda will say it petroleum pls tell me in terms of employment and salary thanx
go for mechanical its beta if u graduate u can be a boss of urself but in petroleum u will wait for employment tire

2 Likes

Re: Petroleum Engineering Vs Mechanical Engineering by Alexbond(m): 7:03am On Nov 10, 2016
Mechanical: For wider career opportunity and good pay. Also with B.Eng in Mechanical you can acquire M.Sc in other Petroleum courses.

2 Likes

Re: Petroleum Engineering Vs Mechanical Engineering by LastProphet: 7:04am On Nov 10, 2016
do people still read Mech engineering?

1 Like

Re: Petroleum Engineering Vs Mechanical Engineering by masterP042(m): 7:04am On Nov 10, 2016
I study petroleum engineering, but I will advise you to Choose mechanical because petroleum engineering is very narrow, with the uncertainty in the oil and gas industry today, petroleum engineers don't have any other discipline to patronize, whereas, a mechanical engineer can as well do his masters in petroleum engineering, and alas he has killed two birds with a stone wink

2 Likes

Re: Petroleum Engineering Vs Mechanical Engineering by Iny3(m): 7:07am On Nov 10, 2016
AfonjaStinks:

1 million naira per month ??

You must be the Mechanical engineer that repairs the Generators that power hell fire
Chisos Krist...LWKMD,LWTMB,ROTFL...I haff laff n tire oo...

7 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

YABATECH Expells 19 Students Over Malpractices: See Their Names / From MBBS To Botany, Please I Need Suggestion! / UNILAG Releases 2016 Screening Guidelines

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.