Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,639 members, 7,823,816 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 03:56 PM

My Fish Pond Construction Project In Benin City - Agriculture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / My Fish Pond Construction Project In Benin City (57944 Views)

Tarpaulin Fish Pond Price List - Cost Of Different Sizes Of Mobile Fish Ponds / This Snake Threatening My Fish Pond Was Killed Today (Photos) / Need A Project Manager For Your Farm Project,factory And Construction Project? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Fish Pond Construction Project In Benin City by paulavon: 12:44am On Dec 01, 2016
Pillars were erected at the 4 edges were the water will exert pressure. At the back of each walls outside a slant pillar was done to serve as a wedge to support against water pressure.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Fish Pond Construction Project In Benin City by ggoldmine: 1:42am On Dec 01, 2016
paulavon:

You can't use just a pond for fish farming,how do you separate the different sizes?N100,000 can give you a 12ft by 10ft pond

Thanks a lot for Ur reply. Guess I'm yet to understand how it works then.
Re: My Fish Pond Construction Project In Benin City by ifecobaba(m): 2:13am On Dec 01, 2016
kudos bro......the lord is your kidney
Re: My Fish Pond Construction Project In Benin City by Ozzyozzy: 2:32am On Dec 01, 2016
Well bro, you done really good project
I am happy for you.
Re: My Fish Pond Construction Project In Benin City by treasuremi1(m): 2:33am On Dec 01, 2016
Nice job. Fish farming is both a good and interesting biz. I really like it
Re: My Fish Pond Construction Project In Benin City by Ozzyozzy: 2:38am On Dec 01, 2016
And I would like to know you personally..
I wants to start such project..And I needs a mentor
My email is osa_kus@hotmail.com
Please I would appreciate your response ...Thanks
Re: My Fish Pond Construction Project In Benin City by SurePresident: 2:50am On Dec 01, 2016
danilmo:

from experience , constructing a fish pond is more than just settingup bricks like buiding a house,,, it will be better if u give it a round pillar thhat wiill hold up to the middle ones after the first 2 set of block before raising to the final level....water pressure is strong and will stat pushing the walls since no cconnecting pillar in the middle wall

sorry to say seemss ur bricklayers arent expeeriiencee sha...
Yes, I observe that too. Also, the professional that did mine adviced that the water inlet and outlet must NEVER be on same side, but opposite. So that when fresh water enters it convinently pushes and flushes toxic polluted one out. In addition, Concrete ponds are old school and while waste 100k on 12ft by 10ft concrete when same 100k currently gets you double size Pond. 3 years ago I got very strong durable mobile Ponds which I'm still using now from http://CatfishGuru..com They also gave free consultancy till I profitably harvested my first set of fish. Check out my ponds:

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Fish Pond Construction Project In Benin City by AreaFada2: 2:58am On Dec 01, 2016
paulavon:
If you are around Edo/Delta states and you want to construct your concrete pond you can contact me. I can also manage your fish farm.

Interesting.

Nice.
Re: My Fish Pond Construction Project In Benin City by paulavon: 3:09am On Dec 01, 2016
[quote author=SurePresident post=51529133]

It is wrong for you to say concrete pond is old school,concrete and earthen ponds are standards as regards fish farming. Tarpaulin ponds wear out in a short period of time.

3 Likes

Re: My Fish Pond Construction Project In Benin City by Drdonzeez(m): 3:19am On Dec 01, 2016
paulavon:

Fishing farming is more profitable. I prefer it more because of low risk and ready market.
wow,thanks.

1 Like

Re: My Fish Pond Construction Project In Benin City by JosephYbholy(m): 3:50am On Dec 01, 2016
Wow, may the lord bless your new business
Re: My Fish Pond Construction Project In Benin City by AreaFada2: 3:52am On Dec 01, 2016
paulavon:

Fishing farming is more profitable. I prefer it more because of low risk and ready market.

On point on this.

We had a massive loss in poultry once.
Re: My Fish Pond Construction Project In Benin City by Lenny5k: 4:21am On Dec 01, 2016
[quote author=paulavon post=51525737]

The capital to start depends on what you have already.
You need a land, borehole, a small house where the workers will stay, the cost of ponds depends on how many you want and the size. Factor all those and you know the capital you need.[/quote
Very educative posy Paulavon.... Thank you so much... Please see what I have below and tell me what it can get

Compound in Benin City already has Cemented Floor.. and not much space to Build Pound so I would like a Tapoline Pound. What can a 200k Budget get me? Can you break it down Thanks
Re: My Fish Pond Construction Project In Benin City by YOUNGELDER1(m): 4:24am On Dec 01, 2016
paulavon:

It depends on how big or small you intend to start. If you don't have much money and wants to start small, you can go for tarpaulin ponds rather than concrete. If you don't have a land but you have a space in your compound you can construct like 3 tarpaulin ponds and start from there. Give me an estimate of the funds you intend to start with and what you have already and I will tell you the cost.

200-250k sir
Re: My Fish Pond Construction Project In Benin City by datigbogirl: 5:13am On Dec 01, 2016
paulavon:

You don't need training, the engineer building my house we joined heads together and design the pond and build it.

Nope I mean the training to rear the fishes to maturity.
Re: My Fish Pond Construction Project In Benin City by rubyradiance(f): 5:23am On Dec 01, 2016
WizBLANCE:
Yet some graduates keep singing that popular song titled NO JOB... May God crown your effort with success bro. Yet some graduates keep singing that popular song titled NO JOB... May God crown your effort with success. bro.[/b]Yet some graduates keep singing that popular song titled NO JOB... May God crown your effort with success bro.

Pls try and ask the OP how much he spent to get get the fish pond to function and come back quote me and tell nairalanders where someone whose mother sold fish,boli or was a teacher for him to get educated get such capital,,we need something drastic in this country let's always say d fact, in a good country u don't need a bsc to leave a decent life,,ordinary cleaner can live well that's why they will continue to sail to Europe undermining d risk.

7 Likes

Re: My Fish Pond Construction Project In Benin City by bnsufeeanh(m): 6:28am On Dec 01, 2016
This question is not directed to OP alone but also to other fish farmers in the house.

Please, I have been a fish farmer previously but had to suspend it due to my frustration of getting good buyers whenever the fishes hit table size. After many months of farming, some set of women (buyers) come and sort the fishes anyhow and buy it cheaply. Normally, I prefer to sell wholesale because selling to end consumers in units waste time and might lead to unwarranted expenses.

Please, can you connect me with good buyers pending my next harvest?

Also, what's the average price per kg presently?

It's been long I stocked.

Thanks
Re: My Fish Pond Construction Project In Benin City by paulavon: 6:42am On Dec 01, 2016
[quote author=Lenny5k post=51529488][/quote]

You did not state if you have borehole already in your compound! Another major thing is where to drain the waste water to. Assuming you have those two in place.

You can get 2 Tarpaulin ponds of 10ft by 8ft for N40,000 each, the 2 will be N80,000.

You can stock 500 post fingerlings each costing N15 ....N7500

you can use the balance to feed them to table size(1kg).You can add any little amount to it if it is not enough.

After 4 months if you are able to get a total of say 450kg and you sell at N650 per kg you get N292500.
The more you stock the more your profit.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Fish Pond Construction Project In Benin City by Cromagnon: 6:46am On Dec 01, 2016
rubyradiance:

Pls try and ask the OP how much he spent to get get the fish pond to function and come back quote me and tell nairalanders where someone whose mother sold fish,boli or was a teacher for him to get educated get such capital,,we need something drastic in this country let's always say d fact, in a good country u don't need a bsc to leave a decent life,,ordinary cleaner can live well that's why they will continue to sail to Europe undermining d risk.
start small (drums)
Start hatchery
Form Cooperative
But I guess you'd rather wait for manna to fall from heaven

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: My Fish Pond Construction Project In Benin City by kastroveli: 6:48am On Dec 01, 2016
nice
Re: My Fish Pond Construction Project In Benin City by paulavon: 6:54am On Dec 01, 2016
[quote author=bnsufeeanh post=51530574]This question is not directed to OP alone but also to other fish farmers in the house.

Don't allow those market women to deceive you, fishes are scarce now in the market, a lot of people left the business due to high cost of feeds, and it translated to boom time for those that remained in the business. Where is your location and what quantity do you have for harvest? If you have from 0.8- 1kg you can sell from 600- 650 per kg. If your fishes are 1kg to 1.3kg you sell at 700.Melange sell for 450 to 500.
Re: My Fish Pond Construction Project In Benin City by paulavon: 7:08am On Dec 01, 2016
[quote author=rubyradiance post=51529841]

You are right, starting fish farm or poultry requires good capital, it is difficult to start small. I started this project since 2014, aside cost of the land, just for fencing, building of a bed sitter farm house, the pond, borehole,gate and source of electricity,I have spent nothing less than 2.5M.

A friend told me he has 300k to start but I told him it will not be enough, he needs borehole which will cost 200k, two ponds will cost N80,000 so how much will be left to raise the fishes. The cheapest way to start is to look for a pond to rent so the little money you have will be used for stocking and feeding.
Re: My Fish Pond Construction Project In Benin City by duullie88(m): 7:49am On Dec 01, 2016
Interesting.. I have been wanting to start a business like this.. what is d maximum number of fish I can stock up with two tarpaulin ponds.. how much will it take to feed to harvest stage

God bless OP
Re: My Fish Pond Construction Project In Benin City by Dramadiddy(m): 8:03am On Dec 01, 2016
paulavon:

Presently it cost like 38k to sew a 12ft by 10ft tarpaulin pond, with additional 17k for the iron stand and the piping work,which is a total of N55,000.
N300,000 can get you like 6 tarpaulin ponds but it can only give you 3 concrete ponds. Tarpaulin ponds will still serve same purpose
thanks for the help. I appreciate
Re: My Fish Pond Construction Project In Benin City by Nobody: 8:25am On Dec 01, 2016
paulavon:

I am currently in the process of completing the construction of 7 fish ponds. 6 of the ponds are 10ft by 12ft while the last one is 8ft by 12ft.
The depth is 4ft 5inches

Materials used includes:

1 trip of sharp sand

1 trip of plastering sand

15 ton truck of granite

1000 9inches hollow blocks

70 bags of cement

Iron rods

woods

plumbing materials

Please what are the estimated cost of all these you mentioned and did you incurred any additional cost in any of these?
Re: My Fish Pond Construction Project In Benin City by ukandi1(m): 8:55am On Dec 01, 2016
This is indeed an inspiration to me. So glad to have stumbled over d knowledge shared here.
Re: My Fish Pond Construction Project In Benin City by Alaminalpha: 8:58am On Dec 01, 2016
Nice,
The principal running cost in fish farming comes from the feed, you should think of ways to produce your own feed.
Re: My Fish Pond Construction Project In Benin City by WizBLANCE(m): 9:04am On Dec 01, 2016
rubyradiance:

sure dear your point is clear as clear could be but have you take your time to study the number of graduates sitting at home not because they can't do a thing but because as graduates starting small is a sin. Who said your fish pond has to be as big and many as the Op's pond before you start? Have it occur to you that many carving to succeed by all means are the uneducated? Graduates wait for the already maid and it often ends up in reveries.

2 Likes

Re: My Fish Pond Construction Project In Benin City by musabayokanu: 9:34am On Dec 01, 2016
My guy you have really opened my eyes, I have been procrastinating when to conversion my 1 and half plot of land to fish pond.

Pls this 750k is it inclusive of workers house, borehole, generator?

Also where do you discharge your waste water from the pond? Do they have drain around or do you channel them to a pit?

1 Like

Re: My Fish Pond Construction Project In Benin City by phemmyutd(m): 9:54am On Dec 01, 2016
paulavon:

I am currently in the process of completing the construction of 7 fish ponds. 6 of the ponds are 10ft by 12ft while the last one is 8ft by 12ft.
The depth is 4ft 5inches

Materials used includes:

1 trip of sharp sand

1 trip of plastering sand

15 ton truck of granite

1000 9inches hollow blocks

70 bags of cement

Iron rods

woods

plumbing materials

Bro, please I need ur contact, I am about to embark on this project aswell

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

How I Started My Earthen Pond Fish Farming In Abuja / Plantain Sucker Planting Season / Hardworking Female Farmer Processing Garri (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.