Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,146 members, 7,818,441 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:57 PM

Biafran War Epic Movie To Cost $10m - TV/Movies (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Biafran War Epic Movie To Cost $10m (10070 Views)

October 1 Epic Movie Is Proudly Nigerian! Cost N200million / The First Hausa Movie To Be Shot In India / Need A Seasonal Movie To Watch (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Biafran War Epic Movie To Cost $10m by THEAMAKA3(f): 3:17am On Nov 02, 2009
SEFAGO:

No, I havnt- and i would state 100% I dont know exactly what they plan to do. But question 1

1) who is the producer/director of the movie

then i would tell you why it is likely to be silly
i might be wrong but you might say if a nigerian is the director the movie will be silly. right?
Re: Biafran War Epic Movie To Cost $10m by SEFAGO(m): 3:17am On Nov 02, 2009
That's the reason I fear this movie might not do well in the box office. I hope i'm wrong sha.

yeah its categorically has to concern white ppl b4  they come to watch it- taht is what i am trying to say so brashly. The main protoganist would have to be caucasian for it to sell, and it must show him saving the ignorant africans from their stupid civil war  angry. Just like blood diamond.

ok, i know people might cite the indian film "slum dog millionaire" but i would be surprised
Re: Biafran War Epic Movie To Cost $10m by umaru2000(m): 3:20am On Nov 02, 2009
The producers are from Britain and America that's what I know for now and I beleive in what bthey have to offer and will invest handsomely if I find a way to contact them. Have you any knowledge on film production process SEFAGO?
Re: Biafran War Epic Movie To Cost $10m by SEFAGO(m): 3:22am On Nov 02, 2009
i might be wrong but you might say if a nigerian is the director the movie will be silly. right?

i think it would still be the same. The nigerian director has to cater for the taste of hollywood- and he can't expect to sell a movie showing some nigerian actor with a thick accent being the main protagonist. Can you see the cast list already- a significant amount of oyibo ppl- to balance the africans.

The producers are from Britain and America that's what I know for now and I beleive in what bthey have to offer and will invest handsomely if I find a way to contact them. Have you any knowledge on film production process SEFAGO

I have an idea, why? Who are the ppl financing the films nigerians? you know people need to know if their investment is going to be worthwhile b4 they do so
Re: Biafran War Epic Movie To Cost $10m by THEAMAKA3(f): 3:23am On Nov 02, 2009
umaru2000:

The producers are from Britain and America that's what I know for now and I beleive in what bthey have to offer and will invest handsomely if I find a way to contact them. Have you any knowledge on film production process SEFAGO?
i wish nigerians had the money and resources to do big movie projects my themselves without the help of the west.
na wa ooooo
and yet the majority of the money will still go into the pockets of these oyibo people.

they wanna "help" make a big movie like this so it can sell and they profit from it.
hmmmmm. . .
Re: Biafran War Epic Movie To Cost $10m by THEAMAKA3(f): 3:24am On Nov 02, 2009
lets just wait and see and criticize later oooo
i don tire
Re: Biafran War Epic Movie To Cost $10m by SEFAGO(m): 3:26am On Nov 02, 2009
Do you want to make a solid bet right now, that my prediction would be right? I am not criticizing, I am just using commonsense. I know enough about films taht it has to cater for a specific audience
Re: Biafran War Epic Movie To Cost $10m by umaru2000(m): 3:28am On Nov 02, 2009
I am a Nigerian and I will put my finance in it because its a move to take our stories to cinema in a high quality just as Things fall apart was made. SEFAGO i sence something about your way of thinking. You seem to think that the white man is the only one who can make good films. That's why all our Nigerian actors are faking themselve on set with fake bature accents. We have to support our own. Namu namu ne. Ours is ours. I don't care if the producers are white or black. I dont care if all the actors are blac. This is our nation story and it should be told with truth.
Re: Biafran War Epic Movie To Cost $10m by SEFAGO(m): 3:33am On Nov 02, 2009
relax mate, and just read what i said, you are misconstruing 95% of what i am saying- fyi i dont watch american films anymore because they are, just like nollywood movies the same and not really innovative. But :

(1) Hollywood movies need to make a profit
(2) These movies must cater for the american audience
(3) This movie, must have something in it that would make people watch it. Famous american actor, beautiful cinematics, great soundtrack, poignant story e.t.c is required for a blockbuster movie. I am not seeing anything in this movie that would appeal to the wide american public which is obviously predominantly from one race
Re: Biafran War Epic Movie To Cost $10m by chic2pimp(m): 3:33am On Nov 02, 2009
THE-AMAKA:

all ye people of little faith.
Nigeria has people sha, with a lot of potential.
just that most of them are given nonsensical storie lines and lines to work with.
there are some really good nollywood actors that could be in this movie.

majority of them are very local though, but there are some.
You might see as having no faith but i'll rather see as me being realistic. The bunch of hollywood wanna be's that seems to make up the majority of nollywoods actors/actresses nowadays can't act to save their lives. To put it bruntly, they are pants.

SEFAGO link=topic=345742.msg4843266# msg4843266 date=1257128268:

yeah its categorically has to concern white ppl b4  they come to watch it- taht is what i am trying to say so brashly. The main protoganist would have to be caucasian for it to sell, and it must show him saving the ignorant africans from their stupid civil war  angry. Just like blood diamond.

ok, i know people might cite the indian film "slum dog millionaire" but i would be surprised
Exactly. Saving private ryan is a classic example. It's a film about the invasion of normandy. An invasion in which countries like the U.S,U.K,France,Canada,Australia,Norway were involved facing the Germans. It basically in one way or another involved the Rich western countries. If the film was any good as saving private ryan was, it is guaranteed to do well in these countries(box office material).

BTW, Slum dog millionaire is not really a n 'Indian Film'. The two peeps that got the most credit(the lead actor Dev Patel & the director Danny boyle) are british.
Re: Biafran War Epic Movie To Cost $10m by umaru2000(m): 3:34am On Nov 02, 2009
Thank you TTHE AMAKA. you are the most sensible woman here. I don't see the point Sefago or what his name is making. He's one of the reoson Nigerians are ashame of our country. We have to support our people and not bad mouth their efforts. Its a shame. We have to finace our own films for world wide market like the indians. They make a lot of films with no white man nor black and they still rake in millions from the west and develop their film industry in Pakistan and Indian so why should we Nigerians not be confident in selling our culture to the world telling the stories correctly? I am so disapointed in SEFAGO. We have to educate ourselkves beyound that way of thinking
Re: Biafran War Epic Movie To Cost $10m by SEFAGO(m): 3:42am On Nov 02, 2009
The main protoganist would have to be caucasian for it to sell, and it must show him saving the ignorant africans from their stupid civil war

by the way this was sarcasm not exactly what i think

He's one of the reoson Nigerians are ashame of our country. We have to support our people and not bad mouth their efforts. Its a shame. We have to finace our own films for world wide market like the indians.

you must be kidding

BTW, Slum dog millionaire is not really a n 'Indian Film'. The two peeps that got the most credit(the lead actor Dev Patel & the director Danny boyle) are british.

exactly, and that was one of the main criticisms about the movie. That it wasn't really more exceptional than previously produced bollywood movies, but that because it was produced by a British person and marketed towards a specific audience it was a success. Its portrayal of the slums of india was not really taken lightly by the indians.

I would be ecstatic if the movie was a hit, it would go a long way to show how much culture nigeria has, and that we face all the problems of a modern nation- while reconciling the differences inherent in us- but still striving to develop and become a leading nation. But i doubt the movie would do so. I am bit happier that it is a nigerian directing the movue but he might have to bend to the will of his investors if he is going to get money.
Re: Biafran War Epic Movie To Cost $10m by chic2pimp(m): 3:52am On Nov 02, 2009
SEFAGO:

I would be ecstatic if the movie was a hit, it would go a long way to show how much culture nigeria has, and that we face all the problems of a modern nation- while reconciling the differences inherent in us- but still striving to develop and become a leading nation. But i doubt the movie would do so. I am bit happier that it is a nigerian directing the movue but he might have to bend to the will of his investors if he is going to get money.
You couldn't have said it any better. I also have my doubts about the movie but i'll have to wait & see if my doubt were unfounded
Re: Biafran War Epic Movie To Cost $10m by umaru2000(m): 3:53am On Nov 02, 2009
SEFAGO, are you a Nigerian? You sound like a man who does not want Nigerians to prosper. The samething everyone here keeps saying to you. Watch the movie before you make judgement.
1. How did you know that the movie does not need profit like Hollywood? When all the press says all investors would be paid back with 25% bprofit

2. How did you know that this movie does not cater for the western audience? When it says boldly it will feautur 2 hollywood actors and famous British actor? Cant you see the budget is $10 million. Have we ever spent such in making films here in 9ja? My younger brother makes a lot of Nollywood films and he likes what he reads here.

3. Answer to your last remark, how did you know when you and I have not seen the script if it has nothing in it that would make people watch it. Or bad sound track or camera quality. Go to imd.com and see the cv of the people working on the film. They have made films in the past. Look at that before you talk and stop been a typical cheap man. We don’t even know who the director is yet. We only know its written by a Nigerina and the producers are Jennifer Belander a Hollywood producer with 24 years experience and George Calil who has worked with Steve Spilberg and Tom Hank and the DOP is a British 2009 award winner cinematographer. So what’s your doubt here that it will be the same kind of videos we make here?
Re: Biafran War Epic Movie To Cost $10m by SEFAGO(m): 3:58am On Nov 02, 2009
umaru2000, seems i am not getting across to you- either my writing is terrible or you are a bad reader:

Read this, goodnight

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-2919.0.html
Re: Biafran War Epic Movie To Cost $10m by SEFAGO(m): 4:02am On Nov 02, 2009
Also the fil of Bruce Will is Tears of the sun. I saw it but it does not tell the real story of our war. It talks more about evaquating a french doctor from the south east of Nigeria as the war breaks out. This film they are making according to reports, tells the cause of the war, the way it was fought and the repacautions and lessons learnt. The name of the write is Sunny Ache but does anyone knows what part of NIgeria he's from? His name does not sound Ibo to me.

see as i expected, this was what the story would be about. evacuating a french doctor, and not telling the story about the people who fought and dedicated their lives to realizing the idea of biafra ( i am sure a lot of  igbo people gave their lives to biafra)- why can't they be the protagonists?
Re: Biafran War Epic Movie To Cost $10m by umaru2000(m): 4:08am On Nov 02, 2009
Thank you SEFAGO. Now we are arriving at the same point. LEts make films about us and tell our stories trutfully as we know it. Thats what I have been trying to explain Sefago. When I saw the tv interveiw and read Thisday, Punch and especially The Nation, I decided to give this a support becaus its written and started by one of us, A born Nigerian. He probably decided to chose a team whic I see is a good team with evidence of the films they have worked on forget about been white or black. You will agree with me that we should support Nigerians who tke such road to make quality films about our Nations. I have aways dreamt of a time when we shall have good film like Things fall apart again. I trust you agree with me on that.
Re: Biafran War Epic Movie To Cost $10m by umaru2000(m): 4:13am On Nov 02, 2009
I am really proud of the way Nigerians are transforming the entertainment industries today. The music industrustries today. I see videos like Dbanj, Mthrill, Psquare and thats a good step making such musical videos today in Nigeria. I beleive that our films will get that better too. This film would definitely be a start and a time will come when we will not need to employ Hollywood crew to film for us anymore as This writer Sunny is doing now. We might not make profits like Bollywood for now but encouraging Nollywood producers like this will get us there.
Good night Sefago.
Re: Biafran War Epic Movie To Cost $10m by akigbemaru: 4:21am On Nov 02, 2009
Biafailed movie or what are you trying to produce? Remember to put in the plots that after British Explorers informed Biafrans about little crude oil deposit, that was when Ojukwu declared war on superior tribes. You stepped on Cobra and you faced the wraths of its fang cool cool cool

I have told you that Biafailed war is a myth, why still talking about it. You just want to create unnecessary controversies. When Kasala bursts just don't tap out.
Re: Biafran War Epic Movie To Cost $10m by AloyEmeka6: 4:28am On Nov 02, 2009
SEFAGO:

No, I havnt- and i would state 100% I dont know exactly what they plan to do. But question 1

1) who is the producer/director of the movie

then i would tell you why it is likely to be silly

“Unbreakable Nation” will feature Hollywood actor, George Calil, actor/co-producer, Annie Carrington, an American based cinematographer and 2009 award winner in directing 31 North and 62 East film. Jennifer Belander is producer/casting director of “Unbreakable Nation.”
The film will also feature Nollywood actors and actresses like Segun Arinze, Jim Iyke, Genevieve Nnaji and Rita Dominic. Investors in to the film get 25 per cent pay back. “Unbreakable Nation” has the budget of the $10million dollar while the budget for the first quarter of advertisement is $2million.
Re: Biafran War Epic Movie To Cost $10m by AloyEmeka6: 4:29am On Nov 02, 2009
omar22:

My questions

1) Is it going to be a product of Hollywood or Nollywood?
2) is it going to be a true story or fixtion with just the basic part of the biafran war?
3) Would it be filmed in Nigeria or not?
4) Would all the casting crew be Nigerian

“Unbreakable Nation” will feature Hollywood actor, George Calil, actor/co-producer, Annie Carrington, an American based cinematographer and 2009 award winner in directing 31 North and 62 East film. Jennifer Belander is producer/casting director of “Unbreakable Nation.”
The film will also feature Nollywood actors and actresses like Segun Arinze, Jim Iyke, Genevieve Nnaji and Rita Dominic. Investors in to the film get 25 per cent pay back. “Unbreakable Nation” has the budget of the $10million dollar while the budget for the first quarter of advertisement is $2million.
Re: Biafran War Epic Movie To Cost $10m by Onlytruth(m): 4:46am On Nov 02, 2009
I don't like this movie already, even one bit! You have a nation that fought a war about 40 years ago, and the issues which triggered the war are still unresolved and hushed up. Someone is here talking about an "Ubreakable nation". Some idiocy. I hope they include the recent MEND activities and the MASSOB. Nigeria is not America (which settled her own civil war issues properly). Nigeria simply swept hers under the carpet with a threat to kill whoever opens the carpet.

I bet you the story will still be the same bullshit about why Nigeria must stay one even if tens of thousands die yearly. The lie continues!~
Re: Biafran War Epic Movie To Cost $10m by sexymiss1(f): 4:46am On Nov 02, 2009
FROM THE NATION NEWSPAPER
Reported by Victor Akande – Saturday, 1/11/2009

I watched as the crew, from the UK and US, led by Nigerian born Sunny Ache addressed the media on the need to give this project the best hype that will elicit partnership from corporate Nigeria.

Also parading high profiled technical crew from the U.K and U.S like George Calil ( co-producer), a British born film actor/producer who came into the limelight in 2001 with his role of PVT James in Steve Spielberg's war TV series Band of Brothers; Anna Carrington (cinematographer); Jennifer Belander, ( Casting Director), an Equity and AFTRA actress with 24 years of experience in theater, film and television, and Nigerian Sunny Ache  (writer & Co-Director), a US and UK trained programmer for television films. I really want to see this ugly reality of an 'Unbreakable' Nigeria movie making waves in the American cinemas.
Re: Biafran War Epic Movie To Cost $10m by JosBoy4Lif(m): 6:54am On Nov 02, 2009
Tears of the sun was not enough ba?  cry
I am watching it right now lemme know if you need a link
http://tvshack.net/movies/Tears_of_the_Sun__2003_/
Re: Biafran War Epic Movie To Cost $10m by TheSly: 7:02am On Nov 02, 2009
JosBoy4Lif:

Tears of the sun was not enough ba?  cry
I am watching it right now lemme know if you need a link
http://tvshack.net/movies/Tears_of_the_Sun__2003_/
Tears of the sun and the Biafran war have nothing in common.
Re: Biafran War Epic Movie To Cost $10m by CHAIRMAN1(m): 8:14am On Nov 02, 2009
this movie is a serious movie, why r they using people like jim iyke?
They should have begged RMD to come take a lead role not JIMiYKE.
i can bear R.Dominic but not Jim iyke, he's too unserious-claimni what he isn't
Re: Biafran War Epic Movie To Cost $10m by THEAMAKA3(f): 8:19am On Nov 02, 2009
this is a chance for jim iyke to show another side of him in nigerian movies.
we are tired of seeing the same thing.
if we wants to gain some recognition instead of being looked at as the "hard wannabe american criminal who thinks he is all that with his ghetto slang, thug" then this could be the role for him.
but anyway we need REAL people.

what about chinedu and osita iheme? lolol
Re: Biafran War Epic Movie To Cost $10m by AloyEmeka6: 8:23am On Nov 02, 2009
CHAIRMAN1:

this movie is a serious movie, why r they using people like jim iyke?
[b]hey should have begged RMD to come take a lead role not JIMiYKE[/b]T.
i can bear R.Dominic but not Jim iyke, he's too unserious-claimni what he isn't

How old is RMD? Unless you want him to play Ojukwu's father.
Re: Biafran War Epic Movie To Cost $10m by Ojumiii(m): 11:26am On Nov 02, 2009
Shop 4 actors & actresses, who really look like the real character, & train them to perfection.

All the actors, actresses & producer/director should be made to read book on Beafra war writen by different writers(Why we Strop By Adewale Ademoyega, My command By Obasanjo, Not my will by Ojuwku e.t.c)

Get characters that will fit the five majors & there supporters like Victor Banjo e.t.c i red some of this books some 12 years ago in my jss II so,

Please, tell the real story as that will help our history,
Re: Biafran War Epic Movie To Cost $10m by omar22(m): 11:42am On Nov 02, 2009
(1) Nobody knows the actual budget for the movie, nobody knows who is funding the movie, and nobody knows who the producer, director and most important the executive producers,  Then we talk about chorographer, costume manager, film editor, because until you know all these people, you can’t really say much about the movie.
(2) I asked yesterday is it going to be a Nollywood or Hollywood movie, everyone said it’s definitely going to be a Nollywood movie but do we know who is funding the project? The Director? Or Producer?
(3) The critical part, everyone here wants the movie to be as real as possible! Cool!!! my honest opinion, am yet to see a Nigerian filmmaker that could pull such movie off, we are talking about a war movie, not a genocide or a coupe, it’s a war movie which would require a lot of shooting, bomb blast, missiles plans (war ship) armour tanks, grenades etc. are we still convinced that Nollywood could pull it off? I doubt it! Then we have 2 characters that would sell the movie WORLDWIDE!!! These 2 characters would play Ojukwu and Gowon, you could get away with one Nollywood actor taking one of the roles, but not definitely not both of them, I honestly believe that actors and actresses would be drafter in from all over the world.
(4) Film site: I also think that the movie should be shot somewhere in East Africa! Its has a bigger open space to shoot a movie and it would be cheaper and you wont need any Government interference or the problems from the delta region.
Re: Biafran War Epic Movie To Cost $10m by obyann(f): 12:05pm On Nov 02, 2009
OMO IBO:

What is Segun Arinze's spoken Igbo like?
I think the role will fit Pete Edochie nontheless, Segun Arinze is such a good actor.

I think Sam Dede will fit in very well cool cool
Re: Biafran War Epic Movie To Cost $10m by sexymiss1(f): 12:20pm On Nov 02, 2009
Boys, I just found a 10 minutes documentary about the cew on youtube. This is not Nollywood as we thought. They are serious Hollywood film makers. Watch this

http://www.youtube.com/user/savilpress

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Do Yo Remember The NTA Ladies Of The 80's And 90's? / Nollywood Actress Geraldine Ekeocha Is Dead / Baba Suwe To Shoot Movie On NDLEA Ordeal

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.