Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,099 members, 7,863,854 topics. Date: Tuesday, 18 June 2024 at 07:55 AM

Nigerians Should Stop Moaning And Roll Up Their Sleeves - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerians Should Stop Moaning And Roll Up Their Sleeves (12730 Views)

Channelstv Presidential Debate: A.P.C Should Stop Misleading The General / Nigerians Should Beg Jonathan To Seek Second Term – Lawmaker / Stop Moaning... Petrol Is 326.21 Naira a litre in the UK! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians Should Stop Moaning And Roll Up Their Sleeves by rhymz(m): 4:08pm On Nov 01, 2009
@PrinceKC
While I agree with Ur point,I also think U are going a bit of point.This isn't a debate of the Diaspora against Nigerian residents,the poster wasn't even exclusively criticizing the Diaspora,he was talking about Nigerians in general that sit back and complain just about everything without offering any alternatives.
I am all for criticisms but constructive ones not the type that leaves bad tastes in the mouth and despondence in the air.If thesame Nigeria turns around 2morow this same Sect that ve taken to unneccessarily bashing Nigeria will be the first to want to reap where they never sowed.
My point is it's Ok to whine,complain,criticize but dön't stop there go further,everyone of us should see it as a personal task to be the change we want in this country,we can't all be whining or bailing out the country,Nigeria can only get better through our collective efforts,we can form pressure groups,write articles that can inspire others,inform others about what is going on in our polity.A majority of Nigerian youths do not read newspapers or listen to news,we can inform them,that's how we effect change,my slogan has always been "be the change".Afterall,if U come from a family where a majority of the members are losers and U knöw in Ur heart that U want a change,won't U look pass all the shortcomings in the family and strive to make a change.If there's wide spread spirited activism amongst our youth,I tell U things will start to look up not this siddon throway stone wey most ppl dey like do.Those of us in Diaspora whom to an extent are financially well off and having seen the best of lives and orderliness can even start by inciting those of us here in Nigeria to take up the mantle of change instead sitting down with Ur McDonalds Burger and Coca cola and in the throes of Ur enjoyment U just spew rubbish and tell everyone they can't do it until Yaradua does it!
Finall,I will leave U all with this quote from the message of Dr Eric William's Prime Minister of Trinidad & Tobago to the Youths of the Nation at Independence Youth Rally,30th August 1962,"To Ur loving hands the future of the nation is entrusted.In Ur innocent hearts the pride of the nation is enshrined.On Ur scholastic development the salvation of the nation is dependent.When U return to Ur classes after independence,remember therefore,each and everyone of U,that U carry the Future of Trinidad & Tobago in Ur School bags"
This message is aptly reffering to every Nigerian Youth that wants a positive change.
Re: Nigerians Should Stop Moaning And Roll Up Their Sleeves by Kobojunkie: 4:09pm On Nov 01, 2009
Roflmao!!!
Re: Nigerians Should Stop Moaning And Roll Up Their Sleeves by akinalabi(m): 4:14pm On Nov 01, 2009
rhymz:

@PrinceKC
While I agree with your point,I also think U are going a bit of point.This isn't a debate of the Diaspora against Nigerian residents,the poster wasn't even exclusively criticizing the Diaspora,he was talking about Nigerians in general that sit back and complain just about everything without offering any alternatives.
I am all for criticisms but constructive ones not the type that leaves bad tastes in the mouth and despondence in the air.If thesame Nigeria turns around 2morow this same Sect that ve taken to unneccessarily bashing Nigeria will be the first to want to reap where they never sowed.
My point is it's Ok to whine,complain,criticize but dön't stop there go further,everyone of us should see it as a personal task to be the change we want in this country,we can't all be whining or bailing out the country,Nigeria can only get better through our collective efforts,we can form pressure groups,write articles that can inspire others,inform others about what is going on in our polity.A majority of Nigerian youths do not read newspapers or listen to news,we can inform them,that's how we effect change,my slogan has always been "be the change".Afterall,if U come from a family where a majority of the members are losers and U knöw in your heart that U want a change,won't U look pass all the shortcomings in the family and strive to make a change.If there's wide spread spirited activism amongst our youth,I tell U things will start to look up not this siddon throway stone wey most ppl dey like do.Those of us in Diaspora whom to an extent are financially well off and having seen the best of lives and orderliness can even start by inciting those of us here in Nigeria to take up the mantle of change instead sitting down with your McDonalds Burger and Coca cola and in the throes of your enjoyment U just spew rubbish and tell everyone they can't do it until Yaradua does it!
Finall,I will leave U all with this quote from the message of Dr Eric William's Prime Minister of Trinidad & Tobago to the Youths of the Nation at Independence Youth Rally,30th August 1962,"To your loving hands the future of the nation is entrusted.In your innocent hearts the pride of the nation is enshrined.On your scholastic development the salvation of the nation is dependent.When U return to your classes after independence,remember therefore,each and everyone of U,that U carry the Future of Trinidad & Tobago in your School bags"
This message is aptly reffering to every Nigerian Youth that wants a positive change.

Its hard to make a head or tail of what you typed above. And its not even easy
to read
Re: Nigerians Should Stop Moaning And Roll Up Their Sleeves by posakosa(m): 4:15pm On Nov 01, 2009
lol----wht hapened to paragraphs. embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed
Re: Nigerians Should Stop Moaning And Roll Up Their Sleeves by posakosa(m): 4:17pm On Nov 01, 2009
Princek12:

it is fair to say that the Chinese are in Nigeria to leech and do not have at heart the best interests of Nigeria. Also Nigerians complain about[b] the corruption and lack of basic needs in Nigeria, not about lack of business opportunities[/b]. We are not that stupid to the extent that we do not see business opportunities in that Country. So it is fair to say that Nigerians complain because it is their country, and it is extremely frustrating to let your motherland wither without attempting to show concern by complaining; the Chinese, on the other hand, have no ancestral ties to the Nigeria and would not care to complain--I am sure they are complaining about inadequacies of the communist government of the People's Republic of China.

wink wink wink wink wink wink wink wink wink wink
Re: Nigerians Should Stop Moaning And Roll Up Their Sleeves by Kobojunkie: 4:18pm On Nov 01, 2009
Help themselves? How? I feel like coming back home and can you tell me how to help myself
First of all you need money, wherever you are in the world

And where is this money going to come from? From trees or the sky? By the way, what source you come up with, can the over 75 million living on less than a dollar a day access these funds as well with success?

To come back home, I need a generator to have constant electricity
.Buy an inverter and a generator
It was reported only last year that Nigeria spends over 180 million dollars a year on generators and accessories. How much success has been recorded with all that? Does asking people to buy MORE really help anyone, even our dare environment here? Has it helped reduce the price of diesel, electricity etc?

I need pipe borne water, I need gas not Kerosine or firewood to cook.
.Sink a bore hole or well

Sinking yet another borehole? In the compound we have alone, we have dug over 7 boreholes to date. Each borehole costs money to dig, maintain and cover up. In fact, we do not know what effect all those holes will have on our ecosystem at the end of the day because we are more concerned about getting to the water than we are of the cost of our acts at this time. Does digging yet another borehole really help make the main problem go away?

I need two years rent for a decent flat
.Do you not pay rent/mortgage abroad? Do you not pay deposit?

People pay deposit but I can bet you that many have a hard enough time coming up with one month’s rent as deposit, let alone coming up with 2 years of rent as deposit. I mean why would I rent if I could come up with that amount? I might as well buy my own house if I could afford that.

I need a car to move about in search for business as public transport is not very reliable
.Buy a car or are these free abroad

Add another car to the already bad roads? How does that fix the roads, maintain the fixed roads and ensure that all money allocated to road projects are used for road projects?
The world is trying to get away from buying more, instead we are advising people buy more and more and more. All that money ends up outside of Nigeria. How does that help the Nigerian situation though?

I need to pay my exorbitant re-charge cards to transact business.
.Are mobile phone bills free abroad?
Mobile phones are not better abroad but there are so many reliable options available that the cost to own one because greatly reduced for many.

I don't need security guard as I will put my life in the hands of God
.Okay

Lol. . . even your security guard could kill you so you may be better off without one.

I have approached the banks for loan and all the banker managers told me was that, I need collateral (land/property) which I haven't got.
.All over the world, the banks are not lending. Have you tried microfinance or saving? In my experience quick money doesn't work out as planned

The banks are not lending in the rest of the world because of the GLOBAL recession. The banks in Nigeria have not been lending even in the good times. Loans actually are a good way of raising money for business and with a good plan, you are likely to pay off the loan in no time if you plan well and stick to your plan.

Now, please help. How can I help myself?
.Keep working and saving and 'do as your hand reach'
And the ultimate message . . . SAVE THINE OWN SELF. Hhmmmm!!!! Why are we paying government for ANYTHING?
Re: Nigerians Should Stop Moaning And Roll Up Their Sleeves by Kobojunkie: 4:19pm On Nov 01, 2009
@OPCMAN ,

You outlined the problems MAJORITY of Diasporas’ face when they decide to move back to Nigeria to start on their own. If it cost about $25,000, or more for you to relocate in the way you have outlined above, (this does not include actual business money and the lot), and how can $2000 start a SOLAR PANEL manufacturing plant? Where would you get the extra from?
Re: Nigerians Should Stop Moaning And Roll Up Their Sleeves by hollandis(f): 4:24pm On Nov 01, 2009
Kobojunkie:

You just outlined the problems MAJORITY of Diasporas’ face when they[b] decide[/b] to move back to Nigeria to start on their own. If it cost about $25,000, or more for you to relocate in the way you have outlined above, (this does not include actual business money and the lot), and how can $2000 start a SOLAR PANEL manufacturing plant? Where would you get the extra from?

Decide what
You make it sound like your presence in this country will help change things.Solar panel plant my foot.
Re: Nigerians Should Stop Moaning And Roll Up Their Sleeves by redsun(m): 4:26pm On Nov 01, 2009
Good old intelligence entails that people should be able to solve their problems come what may,not running away like we comfort zone dwellers do.If we are claiming to brighter than those rascal leaders in nigeria,we should be able to get rid of them and put our agendas in place for the good of all and posterity sake.

White people made their land what it is today not without monstrous obstacles that they manage to put down,in as much as they used us too and till date still using us because we fail to take the bull by the horns.They didn't run away,those that ran away manage to conquer other weakling tribes,blood suckers and set up their domains as we know today,ie.australia,usa,new zealand,canada,south america.name dem,even south africa.

Nothing good come easy.Sacrifice.I have always known nigeria is a paradise.
Re: Nigerians Should Stop Moaning And Roll Up Their Sleeves by cvibe: 4:34pm On Nov 01, 2009
Redsun,

No use in talking.  Come and take the lead.

Nowadays, one needs to take the bull by the horn and tie its four legs. wink
Re: Nigerians Should Stop Moaning And Roll Up Their Sleeves by Kobojunkie: 4:36pm On Nov 01, 2009
hollandis:

Decide what
You make it sound like your presence in this country will help change things.Solar panel plant my foot.

I just edited my post. my post is not in reference to my self. The Solar panel company idea was from the First Post on this thread.
Re: Nigerians Should Stop Moaning And Roll Up Their Sleeves by Kobojunkie: 4:36pm On Nov 01, 2009
cvibe:

Redsun,

No use in talking. Come and take the lead.

Roflmao!!!
Re: Nigerians Should Stop Moaning And Roll Up Their Sleeves by vanitty: 4:38pm On Nov 01, 2009
I love love love this topic.
True talk Rossike. God bless you.
What you have to understand is there will always be moaners, some will even write almost 10 000 words all about how Nigeria is a bad bad bad place, you are left wondering if this people have jobs at all. undecided
Re: Nigerians Should Stop Moaning And Roll Up Their Sleeves by redsun(m): 4:39pm On Nov 01, 2009
I
cvibe:

Redsun,

No use in talking.  Come and take the lead.

I am already there,i have a domain.An agent of light in the dark.Nigeria is a piece of cake,if you can see at all.
Re: Nigerians Should Stop Moaning And Roll Up Their Sleeves by toshacer: 4:40pm On Nov 01, 2009
is this topic realy about diasporians moving back home to do business?
Re: Nigerians Should Stop Moaning And Roll Up Their Sleeves by Kobojunkie: 4:46pm On Nov 01, 2009
From my understanding, this is not really about doing business in Nigeria but someone postulating that IF more people opened more businesses in Nigeria, the Nigerian problem would go away. We know that is not true because, many Nigerians, both at home and abroad already own and run one or more businesses in Nigeria. The gospel of SELF RELIANCE, which our parents and those before us preached and practiced for decades, has NOT WORKED in Nigeria's case. We need to admit this and understand that we cannot continue to simplify, or brush aside the Nigerian problem is such a way.
Re: Nigerians Should Stop Moaning And Roll Up Their Sleeves by akinalabi(m): 4:49pm On Nov 01, 2009
I'm yet to get the koko of this thread. . .

Should we stop complaining to the governent?

Should all those that live abroad come home?

What?
Re: Nigerians Should Stop Moaning And Roll Up Their Sleeves by akinalabi(m): 4:51pm On Nov 01, 2009
Kobojunkie:

From my understanding, this is not really about doing business in Nigeria but someone postulating that IF more people opened more businesses in Nigeria, the Nigerian problem would go away. We know that is not true because, many Nigerians, both at home and abroad already own and run one or more businesses in Nigeria. The gospel of SELF RELIANCE has NOT WORKED in Nigeria's case. We need to admit this and understand that we cannot continue to simplify, or brush aside the Nigerian problem is such a way.

Then he must be silly.
Re: Nigerians Should Stop Moaning And Roll Up Their Sleeves by Princek12(m): 4:54pm On Nov 01, 2009
Kobojunkie:

From my understanding, this is not really about doing business in Nigeria but someone postulating that IF more people opened more businesses in Nigeria, the Nigerian problem would go away. We know that is not true because, many Nigerians, both at home and abroad already own and run one or more businesses in Nigeria. The gospel of SELF RELIANCE has NOT WORKED. We need to admit this and understand that we cannot simplify, and brush aside the Nigerian problem is such a way.
True talk. Opening up businesses won't solve the pressing problems which need to be addressed. And if these pressing problems are not solved, aspiring entrepreneurs would be limited as to the type of businesses that which they can start. That is why most new businesses in Nigeria are usually limited to import and export, restaurant, street hawking, etc; and even when these businesses are started, their true potentials are often not realized because of deficient infrastructure.
Re: Nigerians Should Stop Moaning And Roll Up Their Sleeves by redsun(m): 4:56pm On Nov 01, 2009
Kobojunkie:

From my understanding, this is not really about doing business in Nigeria but someone postulating that IF more people opened more businesses in Nigeria, the Nigerian problem would go away. We know that is not true because, many Nigerians, both at home and abroad already own and run one or more businesses in Nigeria. The gospel of SELF RELIANCE has NOT WORKED in Nigeria's case. We need to admit this and understand that we cannot continue to simplify, or brush aside the Nigerian problem is such a way.

What are making nigerian problems seem?american problems,eeh?complexcities.Nigerian problem is as simple as abc,it requires the redefinition of discipline and responsibility,a situation where people like bode george should be made to realize that he is nothing but a monstrous criminal and a nuisance.
Re: Nigerians Should Stop Moaning And Roll Up Their Sleeves by Nobody: 5:00pm On Nov 01, 2009
redsun:

What are making nigerian problems seem?american problems,eeh?complexcities.Nigerian problem is as simple as abc,it requires the redefinition of discipline and responsibility,a situation where people like bode george should be made to realize that he is nothing but a monstrous criminal and a nuisance.

And whose responsibility is it to ensure all these? Except of course you are expecting 150 million individual to reason together at once without an effective leadership guiding them.
Re: Nigerians Should Stop Moaning And Roll Up Their Sleeves by adigun101: 5:07pm On Nov 01, 2009
No one should blame Nigerians for complaining. But we have to acknowledge that in the midst all the criticisms there have been giant strides in very many areas. I want to list a few.
1. Banking
   We now have banks thanks no the Obasanjo/Soludo Era. Crisis or not. We now have banks that are an alternative source of funding to the economy asides the government and foreign aid.

2. NAFDAC
   You now have to look at a NAFDAC no before you buy things like pure water and drugs.

3. On going Reforms in the banking and Oil Sector.
   You will all agree that this was a free for all game for politicians and croonies who get allocated oil blocks for no reason.

4. Niger Delta
   13% derivation, OMPADEC, NDDC, Niger-Delta Ministry at least the total neglect of the Niger-Delta as the goose that lays the golden eggs is being addressed. Copare the present situation to 10-15 years ago.

5. EFCC
   Have you ever wondered who was in charge of investigation allegations of financial misappropriation both on the corporate and public levels. Your guess is as good as mine.Yes, The understaffed, overstretched Nigerian Police. Even people like Olabode George are now being sentenced. Like Obj once said at the inception of the EFCC "it is no longer business as usual" . A lot still needs to be done in this area but the journey has started at least !

6. Last but Not the least DEMOCRACY
   Allthough far from perfect but there are attempts to win over the masses. This for example as I have been observing is playing a huge role in Anambra state were most of the masses are going for Ngige for only the road construction he did in 3 years. Even PDP was forced to search for a credible candidate that they could sell to the people even though he was not a politician.

We still need to cover grounds in the following 3 areas of Power and Security. Only then can we start our journey as an emerging market and a developing economy.
Nigerians have to bear in mind that Rome was not built in one day !
Re: Nigerians Should Stop Moaning And Roll Up Their Sleeves by Beaf: 5:09pm On Nov 01, 2009
I don't understand the purpose of this thread.

Is it that those Nigerians in the diaspora have no right to complain?
Are those Nigerians in the diaspora somehow less Nigerian than those at home?
Are we being told categorically that those in the diaspora are all there solely to make a buck which they should be making in Nigeria?

I don't understand the purpose of this thread. Is this the new apartheid?
Re: Nigerians Should Stop Moaning And Roll Up Their Sleeves by redsun(m): 5:14pm On Nov 01, 2009
nuzo:

And whose responsibility is it to ensure all these? Except of course you are expecting 150 million individual to reason together at once without an effective leadership guiding them.

We are the leaders,we are the people,so? And i never said criticism is bad,but criticism is better with active participations,by examples.
Re: Nigerians Should Stop Moaning And Roll Up Their Sleeves by kaypinchi(m): 5:18pm On Nov 01, 2009
Na wah o!
This thread started today and has earned this much replies. This is moaning too.

Chei! We need to roll our sleeves indeed.
Re: Nigerians Should Stop Moaning And Roll Up Their Sleeves by koolchicco: 5:19pm On Nov 01, 2009
posakosa:

ol--- the same girls wey dey go club dey church----so ?

Lmao. . Some but not all of em! grin grin grin
Re: Nigerians Should Stop Moaning And Roll Up Their Sleeves by posakosa(m): 5:20pm On Nov 01, 2009
abeg jo! Na the one way dey phuck pass, no dey miss service for sunday. They need to ask for 4giveness for their sins. grin grin grin
Re: Nigerians Should Stop Moaning And Roll Up Their Sleeves by hollandis(f): 5:31pm On Nov 01, 2009
posakosa:

abeg jo! Na the one way dey phuck pass, no dey miss service for sunday. They need to ask for 4giveness for their sins. grin grin grin
u well so?
Re: Nigerians Should Stop Moaning And Roll Up Their Sleeves by ziga: 5:47pm On Nov 01, 2009
@Poster

i understand what u are trying to say.

Nigerians have a reputation of being arrogant. They always believe mine is better that yours, and i think that is why we complain about everything.

The annoying part is that we complain about the same things we are guilty of. Corruption, greed, bribery is in low places as well as in high places.

Put a Nigerian in a "perfect foreign society" and he will still complain about something even when the true habitants of that society are "relatively comfortable".

The poster is not saying we shouldn't complain about things that are not right, but complaining and folding your arms doesn't make anything better (just like a nagging wife).

When you complain, take action to remedy the situation.
Re: Nigerians Should Stop Moaning And Roll Up Their Sleeves by Beaf: 5:56pm On Nov 01, 2009
ziga:

@Poster

i understand what u are trying to say.

Nigerians have a reputation of being arrogant. They always believe mine is better that yours, and i think that is why we complain about everything.

The annoying part is that we complain about the same things we are guilty of. Corruption, greed, bribery is in low places as well as in high places.

Put a Nigerian in a "perfect foreign society" and he will still complain about something even when the true habitants of that society are "relatively comfortable".

The poster is not saying we shouldn't complain about things that are not right, but complaining and folding your arms doesn't make anything better (just like a nagging wife).

When you complain, take action to remedy the situation.

I am finding it difficult to engage with the above, the same way I cannot understand the intentions of this thread.
[size=14pt]So now the victim is to be blamed?[/size]

@topic
What is this thread really about? What fuelled such rubbish?
Re: Nigerians Should Stop Moaning And Roll Up Their Sleeves by ziga: 5:57pm On Nov 01, 2009
rhymz:

@PrinceKC
While I agree with your point,I also think U are going a bit of point.This isn't a debate of the Diaspora against Nigerian residents,the poster wasn't even exclusively criticizing the Diaspora,he was talking about Nigerians in general that sit back and complain just about everything without offering any alternatives.
My point is it's Ok to whine,complain,criticize but dön't stop there go further,everyone of us should see it as a personal task to be the change we want in this country,we can't all be whining or bailing out the country,Nigeria can only get better through our collective efforts,we can form pressure groups,write articles that can inspire others,inform others about what is going on in our polity.A majority of Nigerian youths do not read newspapers or listen to news,we can inform them,that's how we effect change,my slogan has always been "be the change".Afterall,if U come from a family where a majority of the members are losers and U knöw in your heart that U want a change,won't U look pass all the shortcomings in the family and strive to make a change.If there's wide spread spirited activism amongst our youth,I tell U things will start to look up not this siddon throway stone wey most ppl dey like do.Those of us in Diaspora whom to an extent are financially well off and having seen the best of lives and orderliness can even start by inciting those of us here in Nigeria to take up the mantle of change instead sitting down with your McDonalds Burger and Coca cola and in the throes of your enjoyment U just spew rubbish and tell everyone they can't do it until Yaradua does it!
Finall,I will leave U all with this quote from the message of Dr Eric William's Prime Minister of Trinidad & Tobago to the Youths of the Nation at Independence Youth Rally,30th August 1962,"To your loving hands the future of the nation is entrusted.In your innocent hearts the pride of the nation is enshrined.On your scholastic development the salvation of the nation is dependent.When U return to your classes after independence,remember therefore,each and everyone of U,that U carry the Future of Trinidad & Tobago in your School bags"

akinalabi:

Its hard to make a head or tail of what you typed above. And its not even easy
to read

Unfortunately, it wasn't hard for me to read and understand what rhymz had to say. If you didn't understand the post, you could have asked questions rather than complain.
Re: Nigerians Should Stop Moaning And Roll Up Their Sleeves by Princek12(m): 5:59pm On Nov 01, 2009
ziga:

Unfortunately, it wasn't hard for me to read and understand what rhymz had to say. If you didn't understand the post, you could have asked questions rather than complain.
LMAO

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply)

FG Owes 70,000 Workers Three-month Salaries / CCT Dismisses Saraki’s Motion Seeking To Disqualify Justice umar / Osinbajo Visits Niger Delta Today, Youths Give Condition For Peace

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.