Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,888 members, 7,814,007 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 12:36 AM

Sanusi's Impending Catastrophe: Cbn Directives Causes Stir In 'troubled' Banks - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Sanusi's Impending Catastrophe: Cbn Directives Causes Stir In 'troubled' Banks (4313 Views)

The Impending Banking Crisis / If We Devalue Naira Again, We Will Kill Nigerians, Says CBN Governor / A Sample Of Sanusi New 200 Naira Note (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Sanusi's Impending Catastrophe: Cbn Directives Causes Stir In 'troubled' Banks by naijaking1: 10:22pm On Nov 01, 2009
SapeleGuy:

You are right, he can get more leverage by continually implying Soludo's achievement was tarnished by corruption. But what is Sanusi's legacy going to be?
Good question, I beg ask ndu-chucks or Ibime
Re: Sanusi's Impending Catastrophe: Cbn Directives Causes Stir In 'troubled' Banks by Beaf: 10:28pm On Nov 01, 2009
SapeleGuy:

You are right, he can get more leverage by continually implying Soludo's achievement was tarnished by corruption. But what is Sanusi's legacy going to be?

People make the mistake that he is the CBN governor. His legacy is making borrowing a jailable crime and working for Farida who lost her way.
Re: Sanusi's Impending Catastrophe: Cbn Directives Causes Stir In 'troubled' Banks by naijatoday: 10:56pm On Nov 01, 2009
naijaking1:

You're just repeating or echoing one of Sanusi's false and misleading mantra.

You don't even have to go to Bloomberg, just go to NSE. Before Sept. 2008, Oceanic stock was #38, when stock prices fell all over the World it came down to around #17, when Sanusi took over, it was about #15, today, it's less than #3. Go figure, but please don't go blaming the CEOs or the shareholders.
Now, I see your motive. Artificially forcing down the share prices of these banks as a way of making it easier for Hausa people to take over ownership will be the most laughable case of documented "armed robbery" of the decade.

It not mantra, it is what is happening everyday around the world. When a copy cannot meet its obligation to debtors, they become owners.

Why are you using stats before September 2008. The world economy problems came into full effect in September 2008 the month Lehman Brothers crashed. Everything was still relatively good before September 2008 for Nigerian Banks. Show me the statistics of this banks from September 2008- March or April 2009 compared to when Sanusi took over.
Re: Sanusi's Impending Catastrophe: Cbn Directives Causes Stir In 'troubled' Banks by SapeleGuy: 11:03pm On Nov 01, 2009
naijatoday:

It not mantra, it is what is happening everyday around the world. When a copy cannot meet its obligation to debtors, they become owners.

It sounds to me like you are venturing into the realms of insolvency, was there any point when these banks couldn't meet their financial obligations? why couldn't the Companies and Allied Matters Act be relied upon?

Further more how much of the money he set aside was actually used in shoring up these banks?
Re: Sanusi's Impending Catastrophe: Cbn Directives Causes Stir In 'troubled' Banks by texazzpete(m): 11:10pm On Nov 01, 2009
This is getting hilarious  grin

Sanusi comes out strong,. accusing the bank CEOs of running their banks aground and carrying out illegal and unethical acts and the CEO apologists insist that there is no proof and that Sanusi is merely airing his own opinion.

These same people see no issue with taking a one-sided article from Guardian news (which being owned by the Ibrus is definitley going through some conflict of interest) and taking it as gospel truth. What position did you expect to hear from a 'shareholders' association?

They insist Sanusi is not qualified for the position. What good did Soludo's qualifications do him and Nigeria when he wasted billions of tax payers' funds minting coins that went out of circulation one year after their introduction?
Re: Sanusi's Impending Catastrophe: Cbn Directives Causes Stir In 'troubled' Banks by texazzpete(m): 11:13pm On Nov 01, 2009
SapeleGuy:

was there any point when these banks couldn't meet their financial obligations?

Was there any point that Peter Ololo could not afford to buy lunch for himself? That means it's impossible for him to be owing N100 billion since he could eat and fuel his car happily, huh?

Outward rosiness can mask inner rot.
Re: Sanusi's Impending Catastrophe: Cbn Directives Causes Stir In 'troubled' Banks by sjeezy8: 11:17pm On Nov 01, 2009
Beaf:

Bottom line? Do not invest your money in Nigeria.
We need someone with savvy to run the CBN. Area boy thinking is poor at any level, but is a destructive decease in the sophisticated areas of high finance.

Wrong fisherman. You invest in Nigeria making sure you use British and USA banks based in Nigeria Duh.

step out of the creeks of the delta for a chance punk
Re: Sanusi's Impending Catastrophe: Cbn Directives Causes Stir In 'troubled' Banks by SapeleGuy: 11:20pm On Nov 01, 2009
sjeezy8:

Wrong fisherman. You invest in Nigeria making sure you use British and USA banks based in Nigeria Duh.

Of course British and American banks have never ever crashed.
Re: Sanusi's Impending Catastrophe: Cbn Directives Causes Stir In 'troubled' Banks by Ibime(m): 11:21pm On Nov 01, 2009
Naijaking1,

naijaking1:

Old boy na wa for you-o!
When you want to see what ignorance looks like, just get a mirrow.

CBN does not own majority share in many of these banks. The role of CBN is to regulate, not to own. Even with injection of a paltry 400 billion naira , CBN is far from being major sharholders. Union bank is worth over 2 trillion, and Sanusi questionably injected 100billion, does that make CBN the major share holder?

I have been to check Union Banks market cap and it tells me here that Union Bank's market cap is about N70bn:

http://www.firstglobalselect.com/scripts/cgiip.wsc/globalone/htm/quote_and_news.r?pisharetype-id=6330

Another reliable source tells me that Union Bank's market cap is $651m or N97bn

http://investing.businessweek.com/research/stocks/snapshot/snapshot.asp?ric=UBNP.LG

If this is the case, then CBN's N100bn investment makes them the majority shareholder (not to mention loans under the EDW which have probably been converted to shares)

Can you show me where you got your info that Union Bank's market cap is N2trn? I hope you are not confusing market cap with net asset value.
Re: Sanusi's Impending Catastrophe: Cbn Directives Causes Stir In 'troubled' Banks by Beaf: 11:25pm On Nov 01, 2009
sjeezy8:

If I need to use "British and USA banks based in Nigeria" what does that say about Sanusi and your comprehension?
Re: Sanusi's Impending Catastrophe: Cbn Directives Causes Stir In 'troubled' Banks by SapeleGuy: 11:29pm On Nov 01, 2009
texazzpete:

Was there any point that Peter Ololo could not afford to buy lunch for himself? That means it's impossible for him to be owing N100 billion since he could eat and fuel his car happily, huh?

Outward rosiness can mask inner rot.

A high tide floats all boats. Ololo was the darling of the stock market when things were going well, Unfortunately he invested in Oil and gas, bank stocks and real estate - areas that took a massive hammering during the down turn.

Marabout Sanusi should have guaranteed the depositors funds and taken over the bank after it had crashed. The crisis of confidence was engineered from an ojoro perspective.
Re: Sanusi's Impending Catastrophe: Cbn Directives Causes Stir In 'troubled' Banks by sjeezy8: 11:37pm On Nov 01, 2009
Beaf:

If I need to use "British and USA banks based in Nigeria" what does that say about Sanusi and your comprehension?

they're banks based in Nigeria not part of the Nigerian banking system. Like swiss banks in america
Re: Sanusi's Impending Catastrophe: Cbn Directives Causes Stir In 'troubled' Banks by naijatoday: 11:50pm On Nov 01, 2009
SapeleGuy:

It sounds to me like you are venturing into the realms of insolvency, was there any point when these banks couldn't meet their financial obligations? why couldn't the Companies and Allied Matters Act be relied upon?

Further more how much of the money he set aside was actually used in shoring up these banks?

When a bank is run its day to day activities with the money it is getting from the CBN through EDW and through inter bank market (even though the price of borrowing was outrageous and only those that were desperate were borrowing) and limiting the amount customers could redraw or stating a higher minimum you need to open an account when other banks were cutting their minimum (all the banks are considered to be in the same category), it a sign that something aint right.

When a bank takes a full page ad in the newspaper and telling the president of country to become their official debtor collector, that is another sign of desperation. Cutting workers pay is also a sign especially when you are trying to do it on the down low.

The CBN also said one of the five banks was technically insolvent. If that was the US, I am sure the FDIC would have showed up at 4:59pm on a Friday and taken over the bank.

Which money are you talking about?

It not about if the banks could meet their obligation or not, are you telling me that all the 106 banks that have failed in the US could not meet their obligations? When you go pass the limit that the CBN (federal reserve) has set then you become insolvent. And the FDIC comes to your office on friday to take over. Even if on that day you payed your obligations to your creditors
Re: Sanusi's Impending Catastrophe: Cbn Directives Causes Stir In 'troubled' Banks by SapeleGuy: 12:02am On Nov 02, 2009
naijatoday:

When a bank is run its day to day activities with the money it is getting from the CBN through EDW and through inter bank market (even though the price of borrowing was outrageous and only those that were desperate were borrowing) and limiting the amount customers could redraw or stating a higher minimum you need to open an account when other banks were cutting their minimum (all the banks are considered to be in the same category), it a sign that something aint right.
This is conjecture at best

When a bank takes a full page ad in the newspaper and telling the president of country to become their official debtor collector, that is another sign of desperation. Cutting workers pay is also a sign especially when you are trying to do it on the down low.

Could this be because govt are in fact the biggest debtors?

The CBN also said one of the five banks was technically insolvent. If that was the US, I am sure the FDIC would have showed up at 4:59pm on a Friday and taken over the bank.

Exactly, we have laws in Nigeria, why didn't he rely on our laws?

the #400 billion that was allegedly used to shore up the banks

It not about if the banks could meet their obligation or not, are you telling me that all the 106 banks that have failed in the US could not meet their obligations? When you go pass the limit that the CBN (federal reserve) has set then you become insolvent. And the FDIC comes to your office on friday to take over. Even if on that day you payed your obligations to your creditors

We have a procedure for this in Nigeria why didn't he follow it? If we don't have such a procedure what has he done to ensure one is in place for the future. What has he done in terms of policy and regulatory reform?
Re: Sanusi's Impending Catastrophe: Cbn Directives Causes Stir In 'troubled' Banks by nduchucks: 12:33am On Nov 02, 2009
Mainwhile:

Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) says yesterday that the sacked Managing Director of Bank PHB Plc Francis Atuche has allegedly laundered N20 billion depositors’ funds and will have to face fresh charges.
Atuche was arraigned last Wednesday alongside a former Executive Director Charles Ojo on a 26 count charges before a Federal High Court in Ikoyi, Lagos for alleged fraudulent transactions worth N80 billion which weakened the liquidity of the bank.

A senior official in the commission involved in the investigation, told Sunday Trust yesterday that[b] Atuche allegedly used existing companies to transfer money into foreign accounts through bogus loans.
[/b]
The former bank executive is said to have forged documents of these companies without their knowledge to take out depositors’ monies.

The official who did not want to be named said in one of the cases of the fraud, a company, Tegosan Oil & Gas owned by Peter Ololo was used to siphon N4 billion as loan for a tank farm.

However, when operatives interviewed Ololo he denied knowledge of the transaction and claimed his signature was forged.

“The account was opened on December 27, 2007 and was credited with N4billion on the same day, our investigations have revealed that the two signatories to the account were forged,” the official explained.

The source also said, “Another company, Extra Oil Nig. Ltd originally owned by one Diamond Uju had a fake account in the bank under the name Tochukwu Kemakolan and was used to siphon N3.9bn.”

According to the source, using fake documents the former bank chief allegedly stole N3.5 billion each from Future View Security Ltd and Traegec Nig. Ltd.

EFCC’s spokesman, Femi Babafemi when contacted for comments on the matter said, “fresh charges cannot be ruled out in some of the cases involving the bank executives because the Chairman Mrs Farida Waziri has given a directive that operatives should dig deeper into their activities as a result of which further investigations are still ongoing.”

we might as well blame cbn for this report too, since that is the order of the day. cbn for handle every ting hush hush, under under, quietly, so dat shareholders for no lose money at all. na cbn and sanusi dey cause all dis embarassment - why dem go give efcc day kind information na?

i sure say, we no go here any outrage about dis report from usual suspects. according to ololo dem forge him signature, and successfully  transfer N4billion overseas!  shocked  shocked  shocked    i suppose atuche with de able assistance of ololo safeguard dat N4billion wey belong to shareholders - him na worthy managing director.

mark my words again, many of dis ceos go spend cozy time in prison, including some of de old superstars wey still dey get sympathy from people wey suppose to know better.
Re: Sanusi's Impending Catastrophe: Cbn Directives Causes Stir In 'troubled' Banks by Beaf: 1:31am On Nov 02, 2009
ndu_chucks:

Mainwhile:

we might as well blame cbn for this report too, since that is the order of the day. cbn for handle every ting hush hush, under under, quietly, so dat shareholders for no lose money at all. na cbn and sanusi dey cause all dis embarassment - why dem go give efcc day kind information na?

i sure say, we no go here any outrage about dis report from usual suspects. according to ololo dem forge him signature, and successfully  transfer N4billion overseas!  shocked  shocked  shocked    i suppose atuche with de able assistance of ololo safeguard dat N4billion wey belong to shareholders - him na worthy managing director.

mark my words again, many of dis ceos go spend cozy time in prison, including some of de old superstars wey still dey get sympathy from people wey suppose to know better.

Let the law take its cause, instead of Sanusi saying funny and dictatorial stuff to the press everyday. Why is Sanusi so concerned about condemning the CEO's before the courts (Sometin dey? shocked). In fact, if they have half decent lawyers, he has shot himself in the foot and prejudiced the case against them.
Re: Sanusi's Impending Catastrophe: Cbn Directives Causes Stir In 'troubled' Banks by naijatoday: 1:36am On Nov 02, 2009
This is conjecture at

How is it conjecture? So no bank borrowed money from the EDW? So  inter bank market rate were never high? So intercontinental bank did not raise its minimum?  

Intercontinental wanted the president to help them collect the money a private company (not a government or listed company) was owing. If they were not desperate they could have done what Access had done a few days before with the AP situation. It took AP to court.

This is Nigeria have we ever handled a bank closing properly. At the end of the day the biggest losers will not be the CEO, but Nigerians who wake up everyday to go to work and put their money in this banks. There are still people who have their money stuck in those wonder banks that have died or gone broke becasue of that.

So picking out of the two, I think saving the banks was better.

I will like to know how much has been used. So far none of the banks has come out to say it does not need or has not used any part of the money. if you have a bank saying that please post.

We have a procedure for this in Nigeria why didn't he follow it? If we don't have such a procedure what has he done to ensure one is in place for the future. What has he done in terms of policy and regulatory reform?

The procedure is either for the CBN to take over the bank by providing it money as loans or buying shares in the company or allow it to fail.

It is the same thing the U.S they saved the systematically important banks such as Bank of America (whose CEO is leaving at the end of the year after pressure from government agencies), Citi group ( got a new CEO). In the U.K too Lloyds (new CEO), Northern Rock (New CEO). The all got new CEO's to go along with the bailout they got from the government.

Re: Sanusi's Impending Catastrophe: Cbn Directives Causes Stir In 'troubled' Banks by naijaking1: 2:13am On Nov 02, 2009
Ibime:

Naijaking1,

I have been to check Union Banks market cap and it tells me here that Union Bank's market cap is about N70bn:

http://www.firstglobalselect.com/scripts/cgiip.wsc/globalone/htm/quote_and_news.r?pisharetype-id=6330

Another reliable source tells me that Union Bank's market cap is $651m or N97bn

http://investing.businessweek.com/research/stocks/snapshot/snapshot.asp?ric=UBNP.LG

If this is the case, then CBN's N100bn investment makes them the majority shareholder (not to mention loans under the EDW which have probably been converted to shares)

Can you show me where you got your info that Union Bank's market cap is N2trn? I hope you are not confusing market cap with net asset value.

While I get you their 2008 corporate statement, I will show you the Union bank statement of 2007:

http://www.unionbankng.com/annualreport.pdf

If you want information about union bank, feel free to go to the source directly. The above link will show you that by March 31st, 2007, Union bank had a total asset of more than #699 billion. Two years later, it's easy to see how this figure easily ran into trillions of naira.

Net asset vs market cap.--- you're just splitting hair. My position is that you can't buy a company worth #1 or 2 trillion with #100billion, unless you be thief, or your name be Sanusi. I still stand by that statement.

Bye the way, Sanusi said in one of his rambling sessions that the injected funds are not share capitals, but just a temporary measure, so where you came up with the idea that CBN is the major shareholder in a publicly quoted bank still beats me.
Re: Sanusi's Impending Catastrophe: Cbn Directives Causes Stir In 'troubled' Banks by mbulela: 5:33am On Nov 02, 2009
Naijaking has a fundamental problem with Sanusi, hence he sees nothing good in him.
He at the other extreme of men like Suraj.
on this case, i think it goes to the heart of my question at the height of this issue;why was the board not sacked at the same time as the executive team?
i see no reason why CBN should rescue ailing banks with billions and still have the interim mgt team reporting to the same inept board that were partners in destruction with the sacked executive team.
i am not a an of Sanusi but i believe that his actions will drive the fear of God into those cowboy bankers that think acting with impunity and recklessness with depositors funds is akin to hard work and God's grace.
After all this grammar, i am still waiting for the CEO apologists to provide a coherent argument that Sanusi witch hunted the sacked guy.in order words, that they are innocent of the crimes for which they were sacked.
all i hear is that they are not the only ones.to that i answer that, we may not be able to catch all the thieves but let us start somewhere and if you happen to be a scape goat,too bad for you.
for all the billions the CBN put in those ailing banks,it deserves to have oversight responsibility over the banks and not the discredited boards.
if all that happened could happen under their watch, what is the guarantee that same or worse will not happen with the interim CEOs?
let them report directly to CBN, so that if they fail, their will be no one to blame but the CBN.
Re: Sanusi's Impending Catastrophe: Cbn Directives Causes Stir In 'troubled' Banks by rasputinn(m): 6:55am On Nov 02, 2009
Beaf:

Let the law take its cause, instead of Sanusi saying funny and dictatorial stuff to the press everyday. Why is Sanusi so concerned about condemning the CEO's before the courts (Sometin dey? shocked). In fact, if they have half decent lawyers, he has shot himself in the foot and prejudiced the case against them.

That Sanusi should be gagged.His intervention in the banks is welcomed,but his post-intervention antics is worrisome and may lead to some chaos in the boardroom in no time
Re: Sanusi's Impending Catastrophe: Cbn Directives Causes Stir In 'troubled' Banks by rasputinn(m): 6:59am On Nov 02, 2009
mbulela:

why was the board not sacked at the same time as the executive team?

Ask him,he was overly concentrated on making a personal statement against the CEOs,hence he couldn't see that the inept boards needed some sanitisation
Re: Sanusi's Impending Catastrophe: Cbn Directives Causes Stir In 'troubled' Banks by princekevo(m): 7:15am On Nov 02, 2009
naijaking1:

Bye the way, Sanusi said in one of his rambling sessions that the injected funds are not share capitals, but just a temporary measure, so where you came up with the idea that CBN is the major shareholder in a publicly quoted bank still beats me.
Infact i was about to ask this question. Am not a banker as such am getting confused of the whole thing from the CBN. Last time this man told us this was'nt a bailout, now converting them to shares, automatically kicking the initial shareholder out.

Defending the injection of N420billion to save the banks, Sanusi noted that what the apex bank did was not a bailout, but liquidity support and financial intervention to bring them back to a position where they would then be able  to provide their contractual obligations to their customers, adding that much of the money borrowed out by the banks will not come back.[color=#006600][/color]
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria?topic=318085.msg4466213#msg4466213
In this article Sunusi made it clear that the injection of the #420b was'nt a bail out ( which might indicate not buying up shares from the failed banks), but a kinda loan. How come CBN are now claiming the shareholders and ownership of these banks? What becomes of the initial share holders, an ordinary Nigerian like me who invested his/her hard earn money to buy shares from these banks? Does financial intervention he mentioned early includes taking over these banks? Please a since answer to this.
Re: Sanusi's Impending Catastrophe: Cbn Directives Causes Stir In 'troubled' Banks by naijaking1: 9:26am On Nov 02, 2009
mbulela:

Naijaking has a fundamental problem with Sanusi, hence he sees nothing good in him.
He at the other extreme of men like Suraj.

My brother, you're right. I have doubted Sanusi from day one, I don't hate him personally, but I'm not convinced he's the best man for that job. Unfortunately, he continues to prove me right every passing day.

on this case, i think it goes to the heart of my question at the height of this issue;why was the board not sacked at the same time as the executive team?
i see no reason why CBN should rescue ailing banks with billions and still have the interim mgt team reporting to the same inept board that were partners in destruction with the sacked executive team.
i am not a an of Sanusi but i believe that his actions will drive the fear of God into those cowboy bankers that think acting with impunity and recklessness with depositors funds is akin to hard work and God's grace.
After all this grammar, i am still waiting for the CEO apologists to provide a coherent argument that Sanusi witch hunted the sacked guy.in order words, that they are innocent of the crimes for which they were sacked.
all i hear is that they are not the only ones.to that i answer that, we may not be able to catch all the thieves but let us start somewhere and if you happen to be a scape goat,too bad for you.

If someone accuses you of a crime, wouldn't you like to at least get a decent trial before being condenmed? If you would like a trial, why not let these CEOs be tried, convicted, before calling them thieves.

for all the billions the CBN put in those ailing banks,it deserves to have oversight responsibility over the banks and not the discredited boards.
if all that happened could happen under their watch, what is the guarantee that same or worse will not happen with the interim CEOs?
let them report directly to CBN, so that if they fail, their will be no one to blame but the CBN.

Have you heard about socialism, we experimented with those ideas in the 1970s and 1980, to no avail. No, government is trying to unload all the non-performing companies it's running, you want them to run more?

Do you remember when you can't make a phone call unless your girlfriend worked at P&T, then NITEL, or when you can't get on NigerianAirways, because it's already filled by non-paying government workers, or when you spend a whole day standing in Barcklay's Bank waiting to cash your #20 naira check? Those are just examples of government run companies, now you want the government or the CBN to run our banks again? One step forward and three steps backward.
Re: Sanusi's Impending Catastrophe: Cbn Directives Causes Stir In 'troubled' Banks by Maxidoe(m): 9:51am On Nov 02, 2009
This is crap, poster get us another link to this story.
Any news concerning Sanusi,Banks blah blah blah that comes out of Guardian as far as am concerned is crap.This is a newspaper owned by the biggest thief and defaulter of this banking reforms,so we all know they can never give unbiased report, so guy something else and not this complete crap
Re: Sanusi's Impending Catastrophe: Cbn Directives Causes Stir In 'troubled' Banks by coolG: 10:08am On Nov 02, 2009
This is conjecture at

How is it conjecture? So no bank borrowed money from the EDW? So  inter bank market rate were never high? So intercontinental bank did not raise its minimum?  

Intercontinental wanted the president to help them collect the money a private company (not a government or listed company) was owing. If they were not desperate they could have done what Access had done a few days before with the AP situation. It took AP to court.

This is Nigeria have we ever handled a bank closing properly. At the end of the day the biggest losers will not be the CEO, but Nigerians who wake up everyday to go to work and put their money in this banks. There are still people who have their money stuck in those wonder banks that have died or gone broke becasue of that.

So picking out of the two, I think saving the banks was better.

I will like to know how much has been used. So far none of the banks has come out to say it does not need or has not used any part of the money. if you have a bank saying that please post.

The procedure is either for the CBN to take over the bank by providing it money as loans or buying shares in the company or allow it to fail.

It is the same thing the U.S they saved the systematically important banks such as Bank of America (whose CEO is leaving at the end of the year after pressure from government agencies), Citi  group ( got a new CEO). In the U.K too Lloyds (new CEO), Northern Rock (New CEO). The all got new CEO's to go along with the bailout they got from the government.

The above highlighted is not true. Citigroup does not have a new CEO. Vikram pandit has been CEO since 2007 and continues to stay after the bailout. Lloyds does not have a new CEO. Eric Daniels continues to stay after the British Govt bailed them out and currently own 43.2% of Lloyds. Bank of America CEO was not removed. Ken Lewis decided to leave the bank at the end of this year because he was angry that democratic members of congress were unfairly attacking him to score cheap political points even when he thought he was being patriotic (prodded by Hank and Ben Bernanke) by going ahead with the deal to consummate the acquisition of Merrill Lynch after he wanted to pullout because he found out the buy was over-priced. Your suggestion that it was pressure from government is a non starter. The US Govt does not own any voting right in BOA. I am sure you did not know his voluntary retirement was shocking to the market the day it was announced because just this April the board voted to have him remain as CEO though he relinquished  his second role of chairman. The only CEO that left was Northern Rocks because it was nationalized by the British Government.
It may be better you stick to facts rather than embellishment.
Re: Sanusi's Impending Catastrophe: Cbn Directives Causes Stir In 'troubled' Banks by ntvinh986: 10:58am On Nov 02, 2009
Hi all!
I've just visited this forum. Happy to get acquainted with you. Thanks.

Re: Sanusi's Impending Catastrophe: Cbn Directives Causes Stir In 'troubled' Banks by mikkyrazzy: 12:25pm On Nov 02, 2009
A situation where people entrusted with power, money and the likes fail, punishment shouldn't be traded for mercy. Imagine if you had woken up one day and found that all your savings in a bank you never thought could go down went off its hook. It would be most disheartning and the damage could be irreparable. Revelations of gross mismanagement is what we should all commend Sanusi for, but there should be a lot of caution in bringing about sanitization in the system. This is because people who are affected will definitely fight back no matter what. I for one have lost so much trust in people with revelations going on in every sphere of this country. There is no one to be trusted.
Re: Sanusi's Impending Catastrophe: Cbn Directives Causes Stir In 'troubled' Banks by Nezan(m): 2:29pm On Nov 02, 2009
When will all these drama end?
Re: Sanusi's Impending Catastrophe: Cbn Directives Causes Stir In 'troubled' Banks by Ibime(m): 3:27pm On Nov 02, 2009
naijaking1:

(1.)The above link will show you that by March 31st, 2007, Union bank had a total asset of more than #699 billion. Two years later, it's easy to see how this figure easily ran into trillions of naira.

(2.) Net asset vs market cap.--- you're just splitting hair. My position is that you can't buy a company worth #1 or 2 trillion with #100billion, unless you be thief, or your name be Sanusi. I still stand by that statement.

(3.) Bye the way, Sanusi said in one of his rambling sessions that the injected funds are not share capitals, but just a temporary measure, so where you came up with the idea that CBN is the major shareholder in a publicly quoted bank still beats me.

(1.) Your position is  that you can't buy a company worth N1 or 2 trillion with N100billion? Who told you UBN is worth N1trn or N2trn? At some stage, it will be wise to just admit that you dont have a clue what you're talking about. The assets for 2007 stand at N700bn. The liabilities stand at N600bn. You say that by the next year the assets had grown to N2trn? Really? From $700bn? Even if I agree that is the case, only an ignoramus will tell me the bank is worth $2trn without even looking at liabilities. Since when is the value of a company determined by its gross asset value?

Anyway, thats by the by. . . .

(2.) Our debate was whether CBN's $100bn investment would make them majority shareholder. A sciolist like yourself disagrees based on the gross asset value of the bank. It is at this point that we really see what calibre of person we are discussing with. Even a novice knows that the first thing to do in such a scenario would be to look at the market cap and see what percentage holding a N100bn investment will give an investor. The bank is only worth it's market cap, which for UBN is N70bn - 90bn, and CBN's N100bn investment easily takes it across the 51% threshold which would allow it to be considered the majority shareholder.

(3.) I believe the loans have been converted to preference shares.
Re: Sanusi's Impending Catastrophe: Cbn Directives Causes Stir In 'troubled' Banks by naijaking1: 9:33pm On Nov 02, 2009
@Ibime
You just like to spin things upside down?
Our debated is muted by the fact that even Sanusi had said on several occassions that the money injected into the banks are temporary assistance that will refunded in 18 months, they're not for shares.
I guess you just don't want to admit that you screwed up when you said that CBN is the major shareholder of these banks. Just admit it.
Re: Sanusi's Impending Catastrophe: Cbn Directives Causes Stir In 'troubled' Banks by Ibime(m): 9:50pm On Nov 02, 2009
naijaking1:

@Ibime
You just like to spin things upside down?
Our debated is muted by the fact that even Sanusi had said on several occassions that the money injected into the banks are temporary assistance that will refunded in 18 months, they're not for shares.
I guess you just don't want to admit that you screwed up when you said that CBN is the major shareholder of these banks. Just admit it.

Last time I read the papers, it said those investments had been converted to preference shares.

http://allafrica.com/stories/200908180436.html

If thats not the case, I guess I was misinformed by the article.

Thats by the by. . . . the fact remains that anybody like yourself who does not know the definition of market cap or who judges the value of a company by it's gross assets should quit making economic arguments against Sanusi lest you expose yourself. It is better for you to just say that you hate Sanusi cos he's a Northerner.
Re: Sanusi's Impending Catastrophe: Cbn Directives Causes Stir In 'troubled' Banks by Nobody: 10:38pm On Nov 02, 2009
sanusi lamido is getting unpopular by the day.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

I need advice on starting a Dry Cleaning Business / Please Pals How Safe Is This Lr To Pm Exchange To Make Gain In Your Lr / Benefits Of Devaluation In The Economy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 122
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.