Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,703 members, 7,816,876 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:13 PM

Is Homosexuality Wrong? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is Homosexuality Wrong? (8459 Views)

BIBLE STUDY: Is Homosexuality A Sin? / This Is How A Christian Should View Homosexuality / Is Homosexuality Normal? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Homosexuality Wrong? by AjalaJ(m): 9:24am On Nov 11, 2016
YOUNG PEOPLE ASK

“Growing up, one of the most difficult things I had to deal with was my attraction to others of the same sex. I used to think it was just a phase, but those feelings plague me still.”—David, 23.

David is a Christian who wants to please God. Can he do that while feeling attracted to those of the same sex? How does God really feel about homosexuality?

What does the Bible say?
Does that mean . . . ?
But what if . . . ?
What does the Bible say?

Attitudes about homosexuality may vary from one culture to the next or from one time period to another. But Christians aren’t governed by popular opinion or “carried here and there by every wind of teaching.” (Ephesians 4:14) Instead, they base their view of homosexual conduct (and any other kind of conduct, for that matter) on the standards set forth in the Bible.

The Bible’s standard regarding homosexual acts is clear. God’s Word says:

“You must not lie down with a male in the same way that you lie down with a woman.”—Leviticus 18:22.
“God, in keeping with the desires of their hearts, . . . gave them over to uncontrolled sexual passion, for their females changed the natural use of themselves into one contrary to nature.”—Romans 1:24, 26.
“Do not be misled. Those who are sexually immoral, idolaters, adulterers, men who submit to homosexual acts, men who practice homosexuality, thieves, greedy people, drunkards, revilers, and extortioners will not inherit God’s Kingdom.”—1 Corinthians 6:9, 10.
In reality, God’s standards apply to all people, whether they have homosexual desires or heterosexual desires. The fact is, everyone must exercise self-restraint when it comes to urges to engage in conduct that displeases God.—Colossians 3:5.

Does that mean . . . ?

Does that mean the Bible promotes hatred of gays?

No. In fact, the Bible doesn’t promote hatred of anyone—gay or straight. Rather, it tells us to “pursue peace with all people,” regardless of their lifestyle. (Hebrews 12:14) So it’s wrong to engage in bullying, hate crimes, or any other type of mistreatment of homosexuals.

Does that mean that Christians should oppose laws that allow same-sex marriage?

The Bible shows that God’s standard for marriage calls for the union of one man and one woman. (Matthew 19:4-6) However, discussions of human laws on same-sex marriage relate to a political issue, not a moral one. The Bible tells Christians to remain politically neutral. (John 18:36) Therefore, they neither advocate nor oppose governmental laws involving same-sex marriage or homosexual conduct.

But what if . . . ?

But what if someone currently practices homosexuality? Can that person change?

Yes. In fact, some in the first century did so! After stating that those who practice homosexuality will not inherit God’s Kingdom, the Bible says: “That is what some of you were.”—1 Corinthians 6:11.

Does that mean those who stopped practicing homosexuality no longer felt any inclination toward their former lifestyle? No. The Bible says: “Clothe yourselves with the new personality, which through accurate knowledge is being made new.” (Colossians 3:10) Change is an ongoing process.

But what if someone who wants to follow God’s standard still has homosexual urges?

As with any urge, a person can choose not to nurture or act on those urges. How? The Bible says: “Keep walking by spirit and you will carry out no fleshly desire at all.”—Galatians 5:16.

Notice that the verse doesn’t say that the person will have no fleshly desire. Instead, armed with a good spiritual routine of Bible study and prayer, he or she will have the strength to resist those desires.

David, mentioned at the outset, found that to be true—especially after he confided in his Christian parents about his struggle. “It was a tremendous burden off my shoulders,” he says, “and I probably would have enjoyed my teen years a lot more if I had talked to them sooner.”

In the end, we are happier when we conform to Jehovah’s standards. We are convinced that they “are righteous, causing the heart to rejoice,” and that “in keeping them, there is a large reward.”—Psalm 19:8, 11.

Source: https://www.jw.org/en/bible-teachings/family/teenagers/ask/is-homosexuality-wrong/

Neteller here: www..com.ng

2 Likes

Re: Is Homosexuality Wrong? by ifenes(m): 10:17am On Nov 11, 2016
The misunderstanding of what god is and is not will be a continuous problem to Christianity. The lack of asking the right question will not bring the right answers.

Homosexuality is not wrong. It can be disgusting but certainly not wrong. If the only reason you consider it wrong is due to the bible god, you are being misinformed.

12 Likes

Re: Is Homosexuality Wrong? by felixomor: 10:39am On Nov 11, 2016
ifenes:
The misunderstanding of what god is and is not will be a continuous problem to Christianity. The lack of asking the right question will not bring the right answers.

Homosexuality is not wrong. It can be disgusting but certainly not wrong. If the only reason you consider it wrong is due to the bible god, you are being misinformed.

Will u enrol your 2 yr old daughter in a nursery school run by a lesbian teacher or a rather normally married one?
Re: Is Homosexuality Wrong? by rhektor(m): 10:50am On Nov 11, 2016
ifenes:

Homosexuality is offensive to a reasonable person and as such it is very wrong

4 Likes

Re: Is Homosexuality Wrong? by Nobody: 10:52am On Nov 11, 2016
The bible condemns homosexuality true, but christians ignore most of the rules given in the Bible, they mostly pick the parts of the bible they like and forget about the rest. Citing the Bible as a basis for condemning homosexuality is biased, and those that do so are hypocrites.

Homosexuality cannot simply be switched off, and its impossible to change as you say, and those that try live very miserable lives. They cannot be straight anymore than you can be gay. It is impossible.

The funny thing is that most people that are against homosexuality don't know they are on the wrong side of history, I stopped being homophobic when I realized that it was no different from racism.
Same thing gay people face today are what 70 years ago black people faced. There is no difference.

Even if you don't like it its none of your business what people do with their lives.

2 Likes

Re: Is Homosexuality Wrong? by Nobody: 10:56am On Nov 11, 2016
rhektor:

Homosexuality is offensive to a reasonable person and as such it is very wrong
Black people marrying white people was considered(in some part still is) offensive to other white people. Is it wrong?

Black people going to the same school with white people was once considered offensive, is it wrong?

Black people seating on the same bus with white people was considered offensive, is it wrong?

Homophobia and racism are exactly the same thing.

3 Likes

Re: Is Homosexuality Wrong? by jmoore(m): 11:01am On Nov 11, 2016
If you are a product of homosexual act, then it is not wrong. undecided

2 Likes

Re: Is Homosexuality Wrong? by jmoore(m): 11:03am On Nov 11, 2016
Lennycool:
The bible condemns homosexuality true, but christians ignore most of the rules given in the Bible, they mostly pick the parts of the bible they like and forget about the rest. Citing the Bible as a basis for condemning homosexuality is biased, and those that do so are hypocrites.

Homosexuality cannot simply be switched off, and its impossible to change as you say, and those that try live very miserable lives. They cannot be straight anymore than you can be gay. It is impossible.

The funny thing is that most people that are against homosexuality don't know they are on the wrong side of history, I stopped being homophobic when I realized that it was no different from racism.
Same thing gay people face today are what 70 years ago black people faced. There is no difference.

Even if you don't like it its none of your business what people do with their lives.

Of course we are on the wrong side of history because evil is still evolving.

To compare homophobic and racism is being ignorant.

" Homosexuality is death, I choose life' - Michael Glatze [Former gay advocate]

I don’t believe that I was created gay,” Schwab[former gay advocate] said. “I believe it’s something that developed over time.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1_pBLuBEgw

Non one is born gay, it is a choice, a very foolish choice

2 Likes

Re: Is Homosexuality Wrong? by Deicide: 11:12am On Nov 11, 2016
jmoore:

I don’t believe that I was created gay,” Schwab[former gay advocate] said. “I believe it’s something that developed over time.”

it is no nes that christian love to lie for jesus

Genetic basis

Researchers found that disabling the fucose mutarotase (FucM) gene in laboratory mice – which influences the levels of estrogen to which the brain is exposed – caused the female mice to behave as if they were male as they grew up. "The mutant female mouse underwent a slightly altered developmental programme in the brain to resemble the male brain in terms of sexual preference" said Professor Chankyu Park of the Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology in Daejon, South Korea, who led the research. His most recent findings have been published in the BMC Genetics journal on July 7, 2010.[36][37] Another study found that by manipulating a gene in fruit flies (Drosophila), homosexual behavior appeared to have been induced.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homosexual_behavior_in_animals

1 Like

Re: Is Homosexuality Wrong? by Nobody: 11:15am On Nov 11, 2016
jmoore:

Guy you are being ignorant, scientific research has revealed homosexuality is not a choice, it is caused by the brain. Why can't you ask yourself why anyone would chose to be gay in a country like nigeria. Its not a choice you're born like that.
Google is your friend. Quench the ignorance.
Homophobia is exactly like racism, in every aspect, only difference is that race is visible.
Re: Is Homosexuality Wrong? by Nobody: 11:17am On Nov 11, 2016
felixomor:

Will u enrol your 2 yr old daughter in a nursery school run by a lesbian teacher or a rather normally married one?
Would being a lesbian affect teaching performance?
You can't teach a child to become gay. Its not learnt.
Re: Is Homosexuality Wrong? by felixomor: 11:19am On Nov 11, 2016
Lennycool:

Would being a lesbian affect teaching performance?
You can't teach a child to become gay. Its not learnt.

Will you? Yes or No.
I didn't mention any other criteria.
Re: Is Homosexuality Wrong? by jmoore(m): 11:26am On Nov 11, 2016
Deicide:

Genetic basis

Researchers found that disabling the fucose mutarotase (FucM) gene in laboratory mice – which influences the levels of estrogen to which the brain is exposed – caused the female mice to behave as if they were male as they grew up. "The mutant female mouse underwent a slightly altered developmental programme in the brain to resemble the male brain in terms of sexual preference" said Professor Chankyu Park of the Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology in Daejon, South Korea, who led the research. His most recent findings have been published in the BMC Genetics journal on July 7, 2010.[36][37] Another study found that by manipulating a gene in fruit flies (Drosophila), homosexual behavior appeared to have been induced.

grin grin There he goes quoting oyibo anyhow. So why can't a man impregnate his fellow man? undecided

I posted two quotes from notable ex-gay activists that have denounced homosexuality and you are posting useless links. undecided

2 Likes

Re: Is Homosexuality Wrong? by jmoore(m): 11:26am On Nov 11, 2016
Lennycool:

Guy you are being ignorant, scientific research has revealed homosexuality is not a choice, it is caused by the brain. Why can't you ask yourself why anyone would chose to be gay in a country like nigeria. Its not a choice you're born like that.
Google is your friend. Quench the ignorance.
Homophobia is exactly like racism, in every aspect, only difference is that race is visible.

You are the ignorant one. Any stupid scientist can come up with nonsense!!!!

Why are you not a product of gay parents?

Show me one person in the whole world that is a product of gay parents. Mention just on

2 Likes

Re: Is Homosexuality Wrong? by Nobody: 11:30am On Nov 11, 2016
felixomor:

Will you? Yes or No.
I will. Even if every student and all the teaching staff were homosexuals.
They are all still just people.
Re: Is Homosexuality Wrong? by oteneaaron(m): 11:33am On Nov 11, 2016
felixomor:

Will you? Yes or No.

I don't think he will answer that question with a complete Yes/No basis...

Personally.....when it comes to the -Christian morality compass- Homosexuality is completely wrong.....

But the homophobia....the hate.....the killing?.....nah ...I don't support that....

I recall the Jesus said......-- Let he who is without Sin cast the First stone---

Now from the -- Liberal Morality Compass-- Homosexuality is a Choice......some people were born with these traits( i have seen a guy who ever since we were little he always acted like a chic.....female cloths...etc.....his parents were well-to-do...he left Nigeria many years ago...and guess what? -- yea you are right, he is a Full time gay.....)

The LGBTQ are humans like you and I......

on the other hand.... This Pastor said that Clinton, if she had won would have brought the " Anti-Christ"....read more on this Thread - https://www.nairaland.com/3459583/us-election-anti-christ-taken-over

1 Like

Re: Is Homosexuality Wrong? by Pastafarian: 11:35am On Nov 11, 2016
felixomor:

this question is dishonest and shows a deep lack of exposure, it shows someone who's not been to the US for instance (no offense)

are you tryna say that she being a lesbian would make her want to abuse your child? are you saying she'll teach your child to be a lesbian.?

if a teacher tries to teach sex to kindergarten babies, she's doing something against the law

if a teacher abuses 2 year old sexually, she's doing something against the law too

things like sexual affection can't be shared between teachers in front of 2 year old students

that law cuts across all doesn't matter if you're gay, lesbo, or bi

okay

would you enrol your daughter in a nursery school run by a female "normally married" teacher? or a Male "normally married" teacher?

your answer please
Re: Is Homosexuality Wrong? by Nobody: 11:36am On Nov 11, 2016
[quote author=jmoore post=50948224]

Show me one person in the whole world that is a product of gay parents. Mention just one
This was confirmed by different researches at different times by different institutions. It is a universal fact.
Gay people can have children through surrogate mother's or adaptions.
And why do you think reproduction is the main aim of everybody, is it bad to adopt from the millions that are homeless?
World population is at 7 billion + we don't need more people.
Re: Is Homosexuality Wrong? by Richirich713: 11:56am On Nov 11, 2016
It's unnatural and disgusting

1 Like

Re: Is Homosexuality Wrong? by ifenes(m): 12:15pm On Nov 11, 2016
felixomor:

Which is worse than enrolling her into a Christian school where they brainwash her with fear of Hell fire and emotionally blackmail her to pity a man dying on a cross.

One of my tutors in college was gay, that didn't turn me gay.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Homosexuality Wrong? by jonbellion(m): 12:17pm On Nov 11, 2016
[quote author=jmoore post=50948224]

Show me one person in the whole world that is a product of gay parents.

1 Like

Re: Is Homosexuality Wrong? by jonbellion(m): 12:19pm On Nov 11, 2016
jmoore:

Show me one person in the whole world that is a product of gay parents. Mention just on
there are also heterosexual couples that can't give birth but still marry
If there are people like this and they are not disturbed why bother about gays. Cuz after all they adopt or have surrogates exactly like gay people
It's obvious it just disgusts you to think of two men having sex. Well the good thing is that they didn't knock on your door to ask your permission to f*ck in your house so it ain't your business
I honestly don't see any difference between most christians and Donald trump. It's people like you that express homophobia and bigotry that run America now. It's just unfortunate the minorities would suffer from it
Way to go smiley

2 Likes

Re: Is Homosexuality Wrong? by felixomor: 12:20pm On Nov 11, 2016
Lennycool:

I will. Even if every student and all the teaching staff were homosexuals.
They are all still just people.

Hian... undecided
Re: Is Homosexuality Wrong? by felixomor: 12:22pm On Nov 11, 2016
Pastafarian:

this question is dishonest and shows a deep lack of exposure, it shows someone who's not been to the US for instance (no offense)

are you tryna say that she being a lesbian would make her want to abuse your child? are you saying she'll teach your child to be a lesbian.?

if a teacher tries to teach sex to kindergarten babies, she's doing something against the law

if a teacher abuses 2 year old sexually, she's doing something against the law too

things like sexual affection can't be shared between teachers in front of 2 year old students

that law cuts across all doesn't matter if you're gay, lesbo, or bi

okay

would you enrol your daughter in a nursery school run by a female "normally married" teacher? or a Male "normally married" teacher?

your answer please

Answer d question first, mr moniker
Re: Is Homosexuality Wrong? by felixomor: 12:23pm On Nov 11, 2016
ifenes:

Which is worse than enrolling her into a Christian school where they brainwash her with fear of Hell fire and emotionally blackmail her to pity a man dying on a cross.

One of my tutors in college was gay, that didn't turn me gay.

Thank God u said "college"!
Re: Is Homosexuality Wrong? by felixomor: 12:26pm On Nov 11, 2016
oteneaaron:

I don't think he will answer that question with a complete Yes/No basis...

Personally.....when it comes to the -Christian morality compass- Homosexuality is completely wrong.....

But the homophobia....the hate.....the killing?.....nah ...I don't support that....

I recall the Jesus said......-- Let he who is without Sin cast the First stone---

Now from the -- Liberal Morality Compass-- Homosexuality is a Choice......some people were born with these traits( i have seen a guy who ever since we were little he always acted like a chic.....female cloths...etc.....his parents were well-to-do...he left Nigeria many years ago...and guess what? -- yea you are right, he is a Full time gay.....)

The LGBTQ are humans like you and I......

on the other hand.... This Pastor said that Clinton, if she had won would have brought the " Anti-Christ"....read more on this Thread - https://www.nairaland.com/3459583/us-election-anti-christ-taken-over

Point of correction.
Nobody is born gay. It has been proven.

He cant answer d question. because something in him still identifies with the truth. But he doesn't know.
Re: Is Homosexuality Wrong? by jonbellion(m): 12:28pm On Nov 11, 2016
Richirich713:
It's unnatural and disgusting
Alan Turing father of computer science(not computers that was Charles babbage) was a homosexual athiest
His work helped crack the enigma code and won world war 2
Stop using computers and smartphones they are disgusting

1 Like

Re: Is Homosexuality Wrong? by Pastafarian: 12:29pm On Nov 11, 2016
felixomor:

Answer d question first, mr moniker
one is just as good as the other for me
now answer my own question
Re: Is Homosexuality Wrong? by tartar9(m): 12:33pm On Nov 11, 2016
Deicide:

Genetic basis

Of course disrupting the normal brain functioning should make one act abnormal undecided …this doesn't substantiate your views.
Re: Is Homosexuality Wrong? by felixomor: 12:33pm On Nov 11, 2016
Pastafarian:

one is just as good as the other for me

now answer my own question

Which will u choose? Only 2 options are there.
Re: Is Homosexuality Wrong? by jmoore(m): 12:33pm On Nov 11, 2016
Lennycool:

This was confirmed by different researches at different times by different institutions. It is a universal fact.
Gay people can have children through surrogate mother's or adaptions.

Who is talking about surrogacy? Is English so hard for you? Go and impregnate your fellow man, then come back before I can have a discussion with you.

Homosexuality being inborn has been debunked by many wise scientists

http://www.breakpoint.org/features-columns/breakpoint-columns/entry/2/27340

http://www.charismanews.com/opinion/42234-debunking-five-common-arguments-for-homosexuality

http://www.conservapedia.com/Homosexuality_in_animals_myth
Re: Is Homosexuality Wrong? by jmoore(m): 12:37pm On Nov 11, 2016
jonbellion:
there are also heterosexual couples that can't give birth but still marry
If there are people like this and they are not disturbed why bother about gays. Cuz after all they adopt or have surrogates exactly like gay people
It's obvious it just disgusts you to think of two men having sex. Well the good thing is that they didn't knock on your door to ask your permission to f*ck in your house so it ain't your business
I honestly don't see any difference between most christians and Donald trump. It's people like you that express homophobia and bigotry that run America now. It's just unfortunate the minorities would suffer from it
Way to go smiley

The questions is are you a product of a heterosexual couple? undecided

There are billions of offspring from heterosexual couple. Name just one from a homosexual, and are writing hogwash.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Download Music: Samsong Ft Chioma Jesus - Odogwu Jesus / Where Can I Get "Alone With God" By Bishop Francis Wale Oke / How Did You Become An Atheist

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.