Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,785 members, 7,831,539 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 08:23 PM

How To Answer When Someone Wants To Help And Asks: How May I Help You - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / How To Answer When Someone Wants To Help And Asks: How May I Help You (628 Views)

Top 5 Ways To Help Build Up Your Self Respect At Work / Back To Work? Keep These 5 Tips In Your Mind To Help You Get Better (pic) / 3 Tips To Help You Escape A Sack Letter When You Can’t Do The Job (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

How To Answer When Someone Wants To Help And Asks: How May I Help You by Jopasdaughter: 1:13pm On Nov 11, 2016
A few years ago, about 10 years ago, I was so desperate to move to Naija and needed a job in Naija. Someone introduced me to 2 MDs of banks and the guys gave me audience. They asked me 'Miss Ajai, what would you like me to help you with?' And I said 'anything sir'

Big mistake.

One told me to give my CV to his secretary. I gave the secretary the CV and that was the last I heard of it. I lost that opportunity. I showed myself to be unprepared and unserious. I showed that my wanting to relocate to Naija was not a well thought out plan but a pie in the sky wish. Busy people don't have time for such faffing around. The other told me that when I was serious, to come back, that he could not think for me what I needed to do with my life. I never got the opportunity to see him again.

This is not a sub. And it is not a prouding tinz. Please don't take it as that. When people send me mesaages, asking for help and I ask what 'would you like me to help you with' and they say anything you can help me with or worst still, give me a shopping list of things they need, it confuses me.

I think that when you are going to ask for help, you should be specific and show the person that you know what you need and not just faffing around.

When I wanted to move back to Naija, I invested in Mont Blanc pens to give as gifts to these people that I was going to ask for help even before I asked them for help. Yorubas say that 'eni ba ma tele tutu, a da omi si waju' - if you want to step on moist grounds, you first water the grounds. I may not have gotten the help that I needed (because I was not specific) but I know that I stood out from the others asking for help. And that I am not a user.

If you want to ask someone for help, if you have not spoken to the person in a long time or have not spoken to them ever before, try and go with a gift, no matter how small. I think this will stand you in good stead.

Source: www.jopasdaughter.com
Re: How To Answer When Someone Wants To Help And Asks: How May I Help You by Mindfido(m): 7:49pm On Nov 11, 2016
Wow u are nt even up to a day old on nairaland n you ve made 3 great posts. Thumbs up to you and nice post.

1 Like

Re: How To Answer When Someone Wants To Help And Asks: How May I Help You by Jopasdaughter: 10:06am On Nov 14, 2016
Mindfido:
Wow u are nt even up to a day old on nairaland n you ve made 3 great posts. Thumbs up to you and nice post.

Thank you so much.

(1) (Reply)

Plumbing/hvac Engineers, Let Us Rub Mind Together / Professional Advice Needed / Information Marketing Re-launch, Make N180,000 Montly. Rgster For My 7 Day Free

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.