Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,994 members, 7,817,944 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:34 PM

Manual Drivers, Why The Superiority Complex? - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Manual Drivers, Why The Superiority Complex? (22250 Views)

Aerial View Of Innoson Industrial Complex Nnewi, Anambra State (Photos) / Iceland Tests ‘floating’ Zebra Crossing To Slow Down Speeding Drivers / Lagos To Introduce New Number Plates, Uniforms For Drivers, Conductors (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Manual Drivers, Why The Superiority Complex? by dfrost: 8:33am On Nov 12, 2016
Vince77:

Vehicle breakdown no kw manual and automatic car.

Vince77 can you jump start an automatic vehicle? Just curious to know.

1 Like

Re: Manual Drivers, Why The Superiority Complex? by dfrost: 8:36am On Nov 12, 2016
Osyxcel:

When you are always getting stuck in a move and stop traffic for long hours, you'll know there joy in automatic and I'm sisure your orientation will change

Getting stuck in traffic is not because of the transmission system rather the bad roads we have. You can't use that to judge the system.
Re: Manual Drivers, Why The Superiority Complex? by ba7man(m): 8:37am On Nov 12, 2016
Auto is so easy to drive, a one legged, one armed person can drive it.

Manual is the ish.

My dream weekend drive is a manual BMW 325...... moderate power and the joy of controlling my gear change.
Re: Manual Drivers, Why The Superiority Complex? by dfrost: 8:39am On Nov 12, 2016
donbenie:
How exactly is driving an Automatic stressful?

You didn't get the point. He's saying stress wise, automatic is better than manual.
Re: Manual Drivers, Why The Superiority Complex? by chiraqDemon(m): 8:39am On Nov 12, 2016
Lol its just beautiful to know that u control ur car TOTALLY
Even girls de feel u as strong guy wey fit coordinate all him body cos u need both legs and both hands and ur eyes but auto drivers just need their right legs and they can even use one hand throughout the ride sef
#MANUALGANG grin

1 Like

Re: Manual Drivers, Why The Superiority Complex? by dfrost: 8:48am On Nov 12, 2016
ba7man:

My dream weekend drive is a manual BMW 325...... moderate power and the joy of controlling my gear change.

My brother from another mother wink cheesy grin. We gats to hook up one day. Been rocking that baby since 2011. Sad that I'm giving it to my folks next week. No car for me till recession ends. embarassed
Re: Manual Drivers, Why The Superiority Complex? by Nobody: 8:51am On Nov 12, 2016
AfonjaStinks:

Because driving a manual transmission is harder than any hard thing you can think of

You turn on the ignition, hold the brakes and gas, put it in gear 1 and release the brakes and slowly pressing the gas, put it in gear 1, gear 2, gear 3, gear 4, gear 5 and when you slow down because of the traffic, you start from the beginning by going back to gear 1 to gear 5 again

Even my 18 year old sister drives an automatic transmission and the day i convinced her to drive my manual transmission, she nearly killed 20 people
This is so wrong. You drive a manual by depressing and releasing the clutch, NOT the brakes o!

2 Likes

Re: Manual Drivers, Why The Superiority Complex? by akinkudin: 8:56am On Nov 12, 2016
PaperLace:

Lol.
They always come up with this analogy.
Does it play out like this in reality? How many people around you have manuals that it will be the only car available? cheesy

Funny...it's simple one of my neighbours his wife learnt with auto, so one day (don't know his mind) he went out with her car. She couldn't go out even though there was a car to use. Why? It was manual.

When I was serving one of my corper friends in the office wanted to pack to a new place. She was able to get a staff to loan her his hilux. She could drive oh (auto), hilux was manual, I would have helped but busy, in the end she had to get a driver from the office to assist her.
Re: Manual Drivers, Why The Superiority Complex? by QueenEKAMMA(f): 8:56am On Nov 12, 2016
seXytOhbAd:
Op stop being silly.

If you are in an emergency situation, and need to rush a dear friend or close family member to the hospital, and your automatic transmission car has issues, leaving you stuck with the manual or stick shift car, I can bet that the one thought that will run through your mind is "wish I learned how to drive manual".

I usually encourage new drivers or intending drivers to learn manual so that they can be versatile. It really isn't that difficult
THAT IS WHY I'M LEARNING WITH MANUAL AND I'M ALMOST PERFECT. BUT I DON'T HAVE A CAR YET OOO.LOL

2 Likes

Re: Manual Drivers, Why The Superiority Complex? by Nobody: 9:02am On Nov 12, 2016
I will pick a Manual tranny over an automatic transmission any day any time , i just drove from Ilorin to Ibadan this morning and trust me nothing beats that feeling of overtaking those trailers at OYO road with the second gear then move to the third gear as soon as you have moved past them killers grin . It is always amazing when you feel that surge of power right in your engine wink .. I just parked now and those talks about feeling cramps and muscle pull on the legs are for learners NOTHING do my leg fa cool ..

3 Likes

Re: Manual Drivers, Why The Superiority Complex? by bigfrancis21: 9:07am On Nov 12, 2016
I first learned to drive with a manual car, which was my mom's car. It was not easy learning it as you'd have to use your 2 legs. Your left leg first on the clutch that disables the gear at all times, then you start by putting the gear in gear 1, you slowly release your left leg from the clutch as you gently match down with the other leg on the throttle/gas. Now this part becomes tricky as you'd have to learn how to balance the left leg release/right leg match actions. To brake, you'd match down on the clutch pedal first before matching the brake pedal. As you move and the car picks up speed, you have to move to gear 2, 3 up to the max, 5 for most gears. To change gear, left match down the throttle pedal, and then switch your gear to the next. Then slowly release your leg from the throttle and step on the throttle pedal to speed up.

Later when I started driving automatic, I found it to be very easy and stress-free.

One good though about manual cars is that if your car battery breaks down, the car can be pushed (if engaged in neutral) to kick-start it, which is rarely possible with automatic cars.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Manual Drivers, Why The Superiority Complex? by bejeria101(m): 9:08am On Nov 12, 2016
Greene66:

Keep telling yourself that.

Where you would go with your manual car, I would go there too with my automatic car. I might even get there faster than you would if my vehicle is faster than yours undecided

Not on dis planet,automatic cars have what you call takeoff speed,a manual wld catch up and dust you,you can bet your 50kobo on it.

1 Like

Re: Manual Drivers, Why The Superiority Complex? by Nobody: 9:08am On Nov 12, 2016
marylandcakes:
In the U.K. When you have an automatic licence you are restricted to automatic cars only but with a manual Licence you can drive both. A mother with loads of kids in the car and older people I would suggest automatic because it makes your life easier and when you live in a hilly area it is also better to get an automatic.
A place like Nigerian I think automatic is the car to have..

Interesting.
In my state, here in the US, there is no such distinction between an automatic and manual license. Once you're licensed to drive a sedan or minivan (called a "Class C" license), you can drive any type of car.
Re: Manual Drivers, Why The Superiority Complex? by akinkudin: 9:13am On Nov 12, 2016
CFCman:

Interesting.
In my state, here in the US, there is no such distinction between an automatic and manual license. Once you're licensed to drive a sedan or minivan (called a "Class C" license), you can drive any type of car.
If you know how right?..lol
Re: Manual Drivers, Why The Superiority Complex? by Greene66: 9:15am On Nov 12, 2016
macsilver:

Bring your "fast"Automatic car and I'll bring my 2.0 engine Manual car. I'll get to our destination 20 minutes before you.

Really? My vehicle is 210hp 3.0 Engine (6 plugs 24V)

What do you guys enjoy in manual sef? grin

1 Like

Re: Manual Drivers, Why The Superiority Complex? by Nobody: 9:17am On Nov 12, 2016
akinkudin:

If you know how right?..lol
Of course cheesy
Re: Manual Drivers, Why The Superiority Complex? by ba7man(m): 9:24am On Nov 12, 2016
dfrost:

My brother from another mother wink cheesy grin. We gats to hook up one day. Been rocking that baby since 2011. Sad that I'm giving it to my folks next week. No car for me till recession ends. embarassed
Damn!!!.... you're living the dream already!!!!

I'm stuck with an automatic Toyota camry.... sad

Na u dey ball.
Re: Manual Drivers, Why The Superiority Complex? by aloziedaya(m): 9:32am On Nov 12, 2016
AUTOMATIC DRIVE ISN'T THE BEST AT ALL.
ONLY AMERICA PREFERS AUTOMATIC
EUROPE DRIVE 90% MANUAL
COMPARE AMERICAN AND EUROPEAN MOTORING, YOU FIND OUT THAT AMERICAN PRIDE IS THE CRITERIA BEHIND AUTOMATIC DRIVE NOT THAT IT IS BETTER THAN MANUAL.
Annually, more road accidents happen in America than Europe because of automatic transmission.

Me, I have 3 cars, all are MANUALS
EXIT POLL
MANUAL== 92%
AUTOMATIC== 18%

2 Likes

Re: Manual Drivers, Why The Superiority Complex? by IbadanHome: 9:41am On Nov 12, 2016
Oga u neva sabi drive..even a 8yrs old pikin can drive an automatic transmission car

pocohantas:

Re: Manual Drivers, Why The Superiority Complex? by Kassidy90(m): 9:44am On Nov 12, 2016
Many people are still living in the past......even Oyinbo people wey manufacture the cars no dey drive manual again are u now saying u sabi drive pass dem..
Re: Manual Drivers, Why The Superiority Complex? by dfrost: 10:03am On Nov 12, 2016
ba7man:
Damn!!!.... you're living the dream already!!!!

I'm stuck with an automatic Toyota camry.... sad

Na u dey ball.

Car nah car brother. I traveled with my buddy on a supposedly four and half hour journey to and fro. We did it in three and half hour mark.

After that day I hailed the Germans for their engineering acumen. If you want to enjoy the car, change the suspension or double the suspension. The balance will be out of this world.

1 Like

Re: Manual Drivers, Why The Superiority Complex? by Mileslamar1(m): 10:06am On Nov 12, 2016
True
Re: Manual Drivers, Why The Superiority Complex? by Nobody: 10:12am On Nov 12, 2016
chosby:
This is so wrong. You drive a manual by depressing and releasing the clutch, NOT the brakes o!

In Nigeria ??
Re: Manual Drivers, Why The Superiority Complex? by metallisc(m): 10:15am On Nov 12, 2016
PaperLace:

Lol.
They always come up with this analogy.
Does it play out like this in reality? How many people around you have manuals that it will be the only car available? cheesy

Well, i have this friend that was ready to buy a car years ago, he said he wanted to learn how to drive before the new car comes. I advised him to learn how to drive using a manual car (i started out with a manual car), he brushed the idea aside and went ahead to learn with an automatic drive. Some months later, his new car arrives and he is cruising around town feeling cool with himself cheesy. I still hammered it on him to go learn how to drive a stick shift, and again he dismissed it with a wave of the hand (we are all drivers now grin ).

About two years down the line, he goes to visit some colleague of his, he gets there and there is no street parking, so he is forced to park inside the very tight compound (mind you, he got there in the afternoon when most people were not at home so he parked deep inside the compound). Evening comes and he had to leave, he comes outside only to realise that the other tenants in the compound had come back and packed their cars behind his. The person he went to visit knocked on the neighbours door, and asks for the cars to be moved so his visitor can drive out and the tired human beings just handed over their car keys to the duo - move the cars and return my keys when you are done.

So, this my friend and his host walk away with confidence that he was leaving in a jiffy only to unlock the first car and realise the car was a manual drive grin. Even the host didn't know how to drive stick shift and there they were, stuck in their ignorance. They spent another one hour (according to his story) trying to convince the neighbours to come and move their vehicles without letting them find out that neither of them, after being drivers for many years, could operate a manual car. After much ado, one of the neighbours found out the real situation, helped them move his car and the other neighbours car while laughing his head off.

Well, in conclusion this friend of mine hasn't gone to visit this his colleague since that day ever again to avoid the embarrassment of meeting those neighbours again. Till today, he now uses an SUV and still hasn't learnt how to drive a manual car, even with all my cajoling.
Moral of the story.... if you want to be an all-round driver, learn how to do both cos you never ever really know what will happen. The story above is just one of many embarrassing real-life scenarios that i know about though. grin grin

6 Likes

Re: Manual Drivers, Why The Superiority Complex? by blackweaver(m): 10:16am On Nov 12, 2016
Kassidy90:
Many people are still living in the past......even Oyinbo people wey manufacture the cars no dey drive manual again are u now saying u sabi drive pass dem..

Do you realise that racing cars ONLY come in manual? There's a reason why people in naija can still buy brand new cars that are manual - because crazy makers still make them, and I'm pretty sure Nigerian manual drivers are not numerous enough to justify manufacturers making them - in other words, it's not only in naija that people drive manual, there are lots of people in developed countries who feel that driving with auto is not real driving

Those stunts in fast and furious movies would NEVER work with auto
Re: Manual Drivers, Why The Superiority Complex? by metallisc(m): 10:21am On Nov 12, 2016
blackweaver:

Do you realise that racing cars ONLY come in manual? There's a reason why people in naija can still buy brand new cars that are manual - because crazy makers still make them, and I'm pretty sure Nigerian manual drivers are not numerous enough to justify manufacturers making them - in other words, it's not only in naija that people drive manual, there are lots of people in developed countries who feel that driving with auto is not real driving

Those stunts in fast and furious movies would NEVER work with auto

don't mind people like this guy, they only know what happens in their small circle and then think that is the way the world is. With people like these, there is no quest for further knowledge and personal research is like a taboo. grin grin
Re: Manual Drivers, Why The Superiority Complex? by DaPuncline: 10:24am On Nov 12, 2016
I was feeling pains in my right leg the 1st tym I drove my Aunty's manual car. Manual car is kinda boring. Lol..
Re: Manual Drivers, Why The Superiority Complex? by metallisc(m): 10:24am On Nov 12, 2016
AfonjaStinks:

In Nigeria ??

shame on that guy for lacking in understanding! grin grin

Re: Manual Drivers, Why The Superiority Complex? by metallisc(m): 10:26am On Nov 12, 2016
Kassidy90:

1 Share

Re: Manual Drivers, Why The Superiority Complex? by metallisc(m): 10:29am On Nov 12, 2016
Greene66:

Really? My vehicle is 210hp 3.0 Engine (6 plugs 24V)

What do you guys enjoy in manual sef? grin

2 Likes

Re: Manual Drivers, Why The Superiority Complex? by metallisc(m): 10:33am On Nov 12, 2016
QueenEKAMMA:
THAT IS WHY I'M LEARNING WITH MANUAL AND I'M ALMOST PERFECT. BUT I DON'T HAVE A CAR YET OOO.LOL

With this, i hereby declare you the queen of calabar! grin you are on the right track my dear, keep it up. you will have yourself to thank later. cool
Re: Manual Drivers, Why The Superiority Complex? by Aeman(m): 10:35am On Nov 12, 2016
Greene66:

Keep telling yourself that.

Where you would go with your manual car, I would go there too with my automatic car. I might even get there faster than you would if my vehicle is faster than yours undecided
mehn my nig*a dnt be decieved manual car is more faster than an automatic car so far d engin is good.in terms of Manuvrability manual is more advantagious.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Planes, Traffic Lights & Tyres : Find Out Why They Have “standard” Colours / Most Googled Car Brands In 2018 / Reasons Why Your Car Consume Much Fuel

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.