Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,704 members, 7,809,680 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:57 PM

How Vulcanizers In Nigeria Are Killing People - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / How Vulcanizers In Nigeria Are Killing People (22554 Views)

Ambode's Gifts To Vulcanizers Are Springing Up All Over Lagos (PHOTOS) / May God Save Us From These Vulcanizers / Vulcanizers In Nigeria Are Killing People (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Vulcanizers In Nigeria Are Killing People by legendsilver(m): 11:59pm On Nov 13, 2016
*Vulcanizers in Nigeria are killing people*

IMPORTANT INFORMATION TO ALL VEHICLE USERS!

Good day sir/ma. Many people have been wondering what could be the cause of the incessant tyre burst accidents on Nigerian roads. The major cause is that we put too much pressure in our tyres. How did I know?

I was preparing for a journey, I changed some of my tyres and I asked the vulcanizer that 'what is the recommended tyre pressure?' He said 50. I said alright, he should inflate it to 50 all round.

When I got to where I was going, I was discussing with some people on the issue of the minister that died on the road due to a burst tyre and wonder what could have happened because nobody could imagine a minister would be travelling with expired tyres as many would think is the major cause of tyre bursts.

A man (lived in US for many years) said that the major cause of tyre burst in Nigeria is that we put too much pressure in our tyres and that each car has recommended tyre size and pressure clearly written on it by the manufacturer.

*I was surprised and begged him to come and show me where it's written on my car. To my greatest surprise, it's by the drivers door which I enter everyday without noticing it.*

By the time we checked, the recommended pressure for my tyres is 32! and I just traveled with tyres on a pressure of 50! He took me round his compound and showed me that of the cars (which includes a jeep and a sienna) there, the highest was 32. Some were even 29!

He further explained that tyres are made of rubber and expand at high temperature. So, when you are travelling in the afternoon when the asphalt on the road is hot, the tyre will want to expand. If the pressure in the tyre is too much and wouldn't accommodate the expansion, a burst is likely to happen at that time.

Pls check the recommended tyre pressure for your vehicle and others you know.

As many as possible Nigerians need to read this.
thanks

Seun, lalastica, ishiluv and all the other mod pls let's save life here o by doing the needful

120 Likes 35 Shares

Re: How Vulcanizers In Nigeria Are Killing People by Caseless: 12:34am On Nov 14, 2016
No one is regulating them. Isn't there where road safety and VIO should start from?

24 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Vulcanizers In Nigeria Are Killing People by fmc1(m): 1:16am On Nov 14, 2016
Thanks op for this eye opening information.

6 Likes

Re: How Vulcanizers In Nigeria Are Killing People by chukxie(m): 1:22am On Nov 14, 2016
This is a very informative article. Thanks for sharing.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Vulcanizers In Nigeria Are Killing People by eleojo23: 9:02am On Nov 14, 2016
So what happened to Nairaland this morning?
I was unable to log in for a while making it difficult to comment on a thread. It kept saying 'forum is in read-only mode'

I thought my account was banned sef

Is it a routine maintenance?

I just hope it's not another tsunami from cyber terrorists.

14 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How Vulcanizers In Nigeria Are Killing People by buharimustlive: 9:04am On Nov 14, 2016
Most ignorant car owners tell their vulcanizer to pump the tyre very well so they won't spend more or keep coming back to him.

9 Likes

Re: How Vulcanizers In Nigeria Are Killing People by Nobody: 9:05am On Nov 14, 2016
That serious moment when vulcaniser leaves your tyre pressure at 48psi...

grin grin grin grin

The "Ember" months are here...before you go and blame Mama Bilkisu in the village, ensure your vehicle doesn't exceed 35psi on all tyres.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Vulcanizers In Nigeria Are Killing People by bastien: 9:06am On Nov 14, 2016
This thing na copy and paste, e don make front page before

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Vulcanizers In Nigeria Are Killing People by Nobody: 9:06am On Nov 14, 2016
I think Nairaland server is having problems this morning, sometimes it will say "Forum is in read-only mode" or maybe it's from my phone.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Vulcanizers In Nigeria Are Killing People by GoldenJAT(m): 9:07am On Nov 14, 2016
wow oooo! timely Information. it's appreciated
Re: How Vulcanizers In Nigeria Are Killing People by B3sty(m): 9:07am On Nov 14, 2016
NICE ONE
Re: How Vulcanizers In Nigeria Are Killing People by OHIsIManuEL(m): 9:07am On Nov 14, 2016
Very informative, would've been better if you added photos of the driver's door, my opinion though

7 Likes

Re: How Vulcanizers In Nigeria Are Killing People by Nobody: 9:07am On Nov 14, 2016
Eye opening post, there is alot of things wrong in this country, op a picture of where it is written on a car will be very much appreciated

4 Likes

Re: How Vulcanizers In Nigeria Are Killing People by Jojone: 9:07am On Nov 14, 2016
Op thanks for this useful information. How do we check recommended pressure from the seat beat and a picture will explain it better, once a again thanks.

3 Likes

Re: How Vulcanizers In Nigeria Are Killing People by kingreign(m): 9:08am On Nov 14, 2016
legendsilver:
*Vulcanizers in Nigeria are killing people*

IMPORTANT INFORMATION TO ALL VEHICLE USERS!

Good day sir/ma. Many people have been wondering what could be the cause of the incessant tyre burst accidents on Nigerian roads. The major cause is that we put too much pressure in our tyres. How did I know?

I was preparing for a journey, I changed some of my tyres and I asked the vulcanizer thated tyre pressure?' He said 50. I said alright, he should inflate it to 50 all round.

When I got to where I was going, I was discussing with some people on the issue of the minister that died on the road due to a burst tyre and wonder what could have happened because nobody could imagine a minister would be travelling with expired tyres as many would think is the major cause of tyre bursts.

A man (lived in US for many years) said that the major cause of tyre burst in Nigeria is that we put too much pressure in our tyres and that each car has recommended tyre size and pressure clearly written on it by the manufacturer.

*I was surprised and begged him to come and show me where it's written on my car. To my greatest surprise, it's by the drivers door which I enter everyday without noticing it.*

By the time we checked, the recommended pressure for my tyres is 32! and I just traveled with tyres on a pressure of 50! He took me round his compound and showed me that of the cars (which includes a jeep and a sienna) there, the highest was 32. Some were even 29!

He further explained that tyres are made of rubber and expand at high temperature. So, when you are travelling in the afternoon when the asphalt on the road is hot, the tyre will want to expand. If the pressure in the tyre is too much and wouldn't accommodate the expansion, a burst is likely to happen at that time.

Pls check the recommended tyre pressure for your vehicle and others you know.

As many as possible Nigerians need to read this.
thanks

Seun, lalastica, ishiluv and all the other mod pls let's save life here o by doing the needful

Quite an informative topic I'd say. But, I'd put it that its NOT the vulcanizers who does the evil. Its the ignorant car owner who risks his/her life. Nigerians can buy and drive a car without looking at the owners manual and/or reading the various Health and Safety regulatory warning stickers placed on their cars.
Nigerians can buy tyres without due considerations to the intended use of such tyres, can buy mono directional tyres and mount it on their cars in the wrong direction and now you'd blame the vulcanizer?

13 Likes

Re: How Vulcanizers In Nigeria Are Killing People by Nobody: 9:08am On Nov 14, 2016
nigerian road safety is busy checking papers.
Re: How Vulcanizers In Nigeria Are Killing People by sweetval: 9:08am On Nov 14, 2016
Nice one..
Re: How Vulcanizers In Nigeria Are Killing People by optimistD(m): 9:08am On Nov 14, 2016
You are right. A volcanizer I once told to inflate my tyres told me, 'oga the gauge na 45', and I asked him 'why?' He replied 'oga na so we dey pump am.'
I use toyota corolla that requires the tyres pressure to be 30PSI for the front and back tyres and 60PSI for the spare.
Note that the PSI changes with size of the tyre. So you can imagine the difference.
Re: How Vulcanizers In Nigeria Are Killing People by all4gabus(m): 9:08am On Nov 14, 2016
Thanks for this eye opening information.
Re: How Vulcanizers In Nigeria Are Killing People by oludollar(m): 9:08am On Nov 14, 2016
Whr did u copy dis info from.... undecided same article durin d loss of d minister cheesy

1 Like

Re: How Vulcanizers In Nigeria Are Killing People by Ameboperoo(m): 9:08am On Nov 14, 2016
Not just that, many of the vulcanizers use faulty guages deliberately so that when you want to guage your tyre, it will look shot. They will now pump it again.
It is recommended that every driver./carowner should get a digital tyre guage, and check your tyres yourself. That's all. Don't trust any Bala with your safety

4 Likes

Re: How Vulcanizers In Nigeria Are Killing People by Nobody: 9:08am On Nov 14, 2016
Good info
Re: How Vulcanizers In Nigeria Are Killing People by richyrichlady(f): 9:08am On Nov 14, 2016
this is eye opening, thanks a lot for this info
Re: How Vulcanizers In Nigeria Are Killing People by BIDOO(m): 9:09am On Nov 14, 2016
Caseless:
No one is regulating them. Isn't there where road safety and VIO should start from?
hmm, still wondering why you reason like this ! You mean by carrying gauge upadan?

1 Like

Re: How Vulcanizers In Nigeria Are Killing People by kolajoo(m): 9:09am On Nov 14, 2016
Nice pieces of info and exactly what caused my accident on my way going to Ekiti from Lagos. Front tyre busted on Ilesha road due too much pressure with what vulcanizer pump before i commence on the journey. It was a crazy experience and i thank God for gift of life.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Vulcanizers In Nigeria Are Killing People by OHIsIManuEL(m): 9:10am On Nov 14, 2016
eleojo23:
So what happened to Nairaland this morning?
I was unable to log in for a while making it difficult to comment on a thread.
I thought my account was banned sef

Is it a routine maintenance?

I just hope it's not another tsunami from cyber terrorists.
Same here, i thought i was the only one

1 Like

Re: How Vulcanizers In Nigeria Are Killing People by femliany(m): 9:10am On Nov 14, 2016
Tamuno!! You will even be told say Oga this tyre na new one make i put 60 na tokunbo one be 50..anyway OP thanks for this eye opener

1 Like

Re: How Vulcanizers In Nigeria Are Killing People by TheOtherRoom: 9:10am On Nov 14, 2016
What happened in the morning to
NAIRALAND

2 Likes

Re: How Vulcanizers In Nigeria Are Killing People by lastkidconcepts: 9:11am On Nov 14, 2016
This is great..my first thread to read this morning...really make sense...thank God for ur life and journey mercy.
Re: How Vulcanizers In Nigeria Are Killing People by ikotun1987(m): 9:12am On Nov 14, 2016
Just check mine now it's 31,oga ooo don't even know for more than 3y that I have been moving around with my car
Re: How Vulcanizers In Nigeria Are Killing People by SweetJoystick(m): 9:12am On Nov 14, 2016
Thanks for sharing
Re: How Vulcanizers In Nigeria Are Killing People by JustCalMeDBoss(m): 9:12am On Nov 14, 2016
Omo no one is killing anyone, don't take ur car to a road side vulcanizer and xpect u are dealing with a professional. I had a boss who wanted to change his 2016 bmw x6m tyres. He went about insulting every tyre seller the have substandard tyres since the idrive software was always rejecting the tyres behold the recommended tyre was 21 inch Michelin pilot super sports it cost about 600 dollars for one the list price they agreed to import it for him is 330,000 Naira per tyre times that by 4 and u are over 1.3 million. No be persn tell am say make him use the Nigerian ones like dat. Despite the idrive system saying wrong tyres.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

How To Save Fuel When Driving / Viecar VC002-A/B Mini OBDII Bluetooth Car Scanner Diagnostic Tool (4.5K) / INNOSON Partners With Sterling Bank- PHOTOS

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.