Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,015 members, 7,817,993 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:36 AM

Driving Overseas Vs Driving In Nigeria: Which Is Better? - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Driving Overseas Vs Driving In Nigeria: Which Is Better? (4609 Views)

10 Safety Tips When Driving In The Rain / 25 Rules For Driving In Lagos / Does Driving In Neutral Gear Save Fuel ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Driving Overseas Vs Driving In Nigeria: Which Is Better? by ObamaUS: 6:08am On Nov 03, 2009
Princek12:

What a stupid and dumb question and a waste of precious front page space.

NAIRALAND has become a serious joke, I wonder if SEUN has gone on holiday,
Re: Driving Overseas Vs Driving In Nigeria: Which Is Better? by Nobody: 6:13am On Nov 03, 2009
I've got just a little to add and that is that if you can try a car in nigeria. You can drive any car any where in the world!
Re: Driving Overseas Vs Driving In Nigeria: Which Is Better? by Nobody: 6:13am On Nov 03, 2009
I've got just a little to add and that is that if you can try a car in nigeria. You can drive any car any where in the world!
Re: Driving Overseas Vs Driving In Nigeria: Which Is Better? by Nobody: 6:14am On Nov 03, 2009
Re: Driving Overseas Vs Driving In Nigeria: Which Is Better? by elamx(m): 8:43am On Nov 03, 2009
well
you can compare cos naijas never care with any cautions niether laws they drives anyhow abroads are strictly with laws and cautions they operate with rules and regulation,any regulations in najas will be violated within an hour from the day oy implementation.pls maintain your status in naija we dont abide by the law cos our leadersare truant
[b][/b]
Re: Driving Overseas Vs Driving In Nigeria: Which Is Better? by RichyBlacK(m): 8:50am On Nov 03, 2009
Driving in America is a wonderful pleasure!

In Nigeria, nobody drives, people just move heavy pieces of metallic junk, violently and noisily, from one point to another. grin
Re: Driving Overseas Vs Driving In Nigeria: Which Is Better? by r231(m): 9:11am On Nov 03, 2009
chic2pimp:

You fit drive for Naija, you can drive anywhere in the world. That's for sure smiley.

true dat
Re: Driving Overseas Vs Driving In Nigeria: Which Is Better? by Nobody: 9:19am On Nov 03, 2009
it seems that the OPs friends are true nigerians. their love for driving in nigeria has to do with the fact that there are no rules

obviously these friends do not work in lagos.

anyone who has to face the chaotic traffic jams to and from work where you face off against danfo drivers okada riders trailers tankers and other crazy drivers will not consider driving in nigeria to be anything to write home about
Re: Driving Overseas Vs Driving In Nigeria: Which Is Better? by bintab(f): 9:45am On Nov 03, 2009
Fhemmmy:

This is like comparing death with sleep, there is no comparison at all.
In Nigeria you can be a holder of Nigerian driver licence without knowing how to drive.
No signs and nothing to follow on the road, everyone is just on their own.
You said it all,In Naija everybody drives everywhereI almost had a heart attack the last time i was home.It is sicken to watch talkless of driving.
Re: Driving Overseas Vs Driving In Nigeria: Which Is Better? by Niseed(m): 9:47am On Nov 03, 2009
Lets see, i've been driving in the Uk for about 8 years,no accident, scratches nada, came to Nigeria this year and ive had 3  accidents. In fact i dont even drive anymore.

if you want to live and get to your final destination overseas driving is for you but if you dont really send anybody Nigeria is the place.
carry go!!!
Re: Driving Overseas Vs Driving In Nigeria: Which Is Better? by Nobody: 10:00am On Nov 03, 2009
I prefer driving in Europe, or The Americas.

And before anyone asks, yes, I did drive in Nigeria, I was actually a welathy lady's chauffeur for a year in Lagos, before returning to Britain.

Some of the replies here shock me, and are an indication of how some brains work - why would one prefer to drive in Nigeria, just because there are no laws governing driving?

As for the saying, "if you can drive in Nigeria, you can drive anywhere else in the world," that's not true. Can these drivers that have been issued driver's licenses in Nigeria drive in Europe / The Americas to a standard, enough to pass their tests? I have Nigerian friends who have failed their tests multiple times, some have given up trying!

Some can't even get past the written test!
Re: Driving Overseas Vs Driving In Nigeria: Which Is Better? by r231(m): 10:15am On Nov 03, 2009
Siena:

I prefer driving in Europe, or The Americas.

And before anyone asks, yes, I did drive in Nigeria, I was actually a welathy lady's chauffeur for a year in Lagos, before returning to Britain.

Some of the replies here shock me, and are an indication of how some brains work - why would one prefer to drive in Nigeria, just because there are no laws governing driving?

As for the saying, "if you can drive in Nigeria, you can drive anywhere else in the world," that's not true. Can these drivers that have been issued driver's licenses in Nigeria drive in Europe / The Americas to a standard, enough to pass their tests? I have Nigerian friends who have failed their tests multiple times, some have given up trying!

actually they can but not just going to last if you have been leaving in UK and drives all you have to do is adjust bck to civilization. But not all those danfo drivers noooooooo dey will get their ass locked up so quick.
Re: Driving Overseas Vs Driving In Nigeria: Which Is Better? by Nezan(m): 10:19am On Nov 03, 2009
Driving in 9ja is very hectic, what with the careless manouvres of taxi drivers . . . . and if you are not driving within Abuja city, you have to consider the additional menace of careless okada riders.
Re: Driving Overseas Vs Driving In Nigeria: Which Is Better? by spikedcylinder: 10:39am On Nov 03, 2009
Siena:

I was actually a welathy lady's chauffeur for a year in Lagos, before returning to Britain.

A ceremonious word for drifa! grin
Re: Driving Overseas Vs Driving In Nigeria: Which Is Better? by Nobody: 11:12am On Nov 03, 2009
spikedcylinder:

Abi o! grin
Re: Driving Overseas Vs Driving In Nigeria: Which Is Better? by KennyG6(m): 11:18am On Nov 03, 2009
spikedcylinder:

Mind u it depends on the perks he gets as well ooo
Re: Driving Overseas Vs Driving In Nigeria: Which Is Better? by mrofficial(m): 11:34am On Nov 03, 2009
Naija sweet well well for driving. the only thing they have in common is the gunpoint. the rest, forget it.
Re: Driving Overseas Vs Driving In Nigeria: Which Is Better? by Nobody: 12:55pm On Nov 03, 2009
, I mean no one read or studied logic to dictate a bad argument? A third world country(developing) vs a developed country, angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry
Re: Driving Overseas Vs Driving In Nigeria: Which Is Better? by koolchicco: 1:29pm On Nov 03, 2009
Ranks007:

, I mean no one read or studied logic to dictate a bad argument? A third world country(developing) vs a developed country, angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry

Gbam Ijiya!!!
Re: Driving Overseas Vs Driving In Nigeria: Which Is Better? by otukpo(f): 4:52pm On Nov 03, 2009
Driving in lagos is crazy. I enjoy driving down east, but in lagos, i dont enjoy it.
U can have a drivers' licence in Nigeria even without having seen a car for the 1st time not to talk of knowing how to hold a steering.
Re: Driving Overseas Vs Driving In Nigeria: Which Is Better? by Outstrip(f): 10:06pm On Nov 03, 2009
You can drive without lights or mirrors in Nigeria but you cannot drive without a horn. I can't imagine what will make me even consider driving in Nigeria. It's pure madness
Re: Driving Overseas Vs Driving In Nigeria: Which Is Better? by THEAMAKA3(f): 1:58am On Nov 04, 2009
first of all overseans can mean anywhere really.
but im assuming most people here  are comparing it to the west.
and this makes this topic a rhetorical question if you are not being specific with what is "overseas"
DUH!!!!!!!! who wants to drive in Nigeria?
when i first came in (back in 2005), we took a van from the PH to Imo State and i thought we wouldnt even make it the first day in Nigeria.
i thought we were going to die on those roads, right there.
GOSH!!! i couldnt believe my eyes.

so a topic like this is almost a "DUH" answer.
unless you want to talk about places like India or some south american countries, then i would rather drive in Nigeria. lol
Re: Driving Overseas Vs Driving In Nigeria: Which Is Better? by THEAMAKA3(f): 1:59am On Nov 04, 2009
RichyBlacK:

Driving in America is a wonderful pleasure!

In Nigeria, nobody drives, people just move heavy pieces of metallic junk, violently and noisily, from one point to another. grin

LMFAO!!!!!!! i don laugh finish oooooo
Re: Driving Overseas Vs Driving In Nigeria: Which Is Better? by chic2pimp(m): 2:04am On Nov 04, 2009
hbrednic:

to drive in naija,you must learn 1st how to abuse and curse other road users tongue
but india is the worst place on earth to drive.
Wahlai nah for road I hia many of em' curse words grin grin. For one ear I go hia bastard,for the other I go bloody fool and so on and so forth. This swear words were not in english alone, yoruba & igbo words were also used grin cheesy cheesy grin

Siena:

BIG DEAL!!!!. I HAVE FRIENDS FROM ALL OVER THE WORLD WHO HAVE NOT ONLY FAILED TESTS HERE IN THE UK. I ALSO KNOW OF MANY PEEPS WHO HAVE FAILED TESTS IN EUROPE & NORTH AMERICA
Re: Driving Overseas Vs Driving In Nigeria: Which Is Better? by Nobody: 2:06am On Nov 04, 2009
Driving here is perfect bliss, the roads arent all that better than the roads in Abuja but the bottomline is everyone follows the rules. You dont need to have your heart in your mouth each time you cross a busy intersection.
Re: Driving Overseas Vs Driving In Nigeria: Which Is Better? by ajayi1(m): 2:46am On Nov 04, 2009
Driving in some Area in Nigeria is cool. I love Driving in the Lagos Island at Night.
Re: Driving Overseas Vs Driving In Nigeria: Which Is Better? by Nobody: 10:48pm On Nov 07, 2009
until i have travelled overseas, i cant say for such which is better.
Re: Driving Overseas Vs Driving In Nigeria: Which Is Better? by mtyekinni: 6:57am On Nov 08, 2009
I used to be a driving instructor in Chicago (teen & adult)
Anytime I had to follow a so called veteran 9ja driver to
the DMV I usually brace myself for the worst.
They are usually opinionated & mostly incapable of adapting
to driving by the rules. You have to pray they don't start
honking for no apparent reason- 9 times out of 10 they will!
Worse still when they fail the road test; they attribute it to
driving in an unfamiliar car or the one that usually crack me
up- 'it is b/c the car is automatic; I would never have failed
if I have been driving a manual!'
In fairness it is hard to teach an old dog a new trick. Even
I know that I still retain some ingrained bad habits from my
days of driving in Lagos, even now I tend to curse out bad
drivers,  I do it quietly; but it makes me feel real bad even
though I know no one can hear me; b/c I'm mostly alone in
the car.
Bottom line until we realize that anytime we are behind the
wheels we are literally holding our lives in our hands; Nigeria
will continue to be a game of Russian roulette for her drivers.
Re: Driving Overseas Vs Driving In Nigeria: Which Is Better? by toshacer: 10:52am On Nov 08, 2009
Stupid people. Who said there are no road signs in Nigeria? There are road signs but these are never obeyed, and more so, those people who are supposed to be educated are the ones who flout the traffic rules the ost, example, it is hard for people to stop at Zebra crossings, the markings are there, but in Nigeria, noone obeys it, including the people who come home from overseas- why must this be the case? In Nigeria, people beat red lights, why? Because there is no man made machine like the camera to tell you or warn you not to do so? Is the man made machine better than the brain that God has given all of us? Even when lanes are marked on the roads, some stupid drivers drive one side of the car on each side of the lane. Why is this? In Ghana, these things never happen, so who do you blame, you blame Yar Adua or the government again? for people to obey traffic rules? Just because no police man to arrest, no camera to catch you doesnt mean you shouldnt use your brain as to know the necessity of driving according to the highway and traffic rules. It is such a shame on Nigerians.

So Poster, change your question to, Why are traffic signals not obeyed by Nigerians but obeyed by people in the West and developed countries.
Re: Driving Overseas Vs Driving In Nigeria: Which Is Better? by THEAMAKA3(f): 2:09pm On Nov 08, 2009
tosh_acer:

Stupid people. Who said there are no road signs in Nigeria? There are road signs but these are never obeyed, and more so, those people who are supposed to be educated are the ones who flout the traffic rules the ost, example, it is hard for people to stop at Zebra crossings, the markings are there, but in Nigeria, noone obeys it, including the people who come home from overseas- why must this be the case? In Nigeria, people beat red lights, why? Because there is no man made machine like the camera to tell you or warn you not to do so? Is the man made machine better than the brain that God has given all of us? Even when lanes are marked on the roads, some stupid drivers drive one side of the car on each side of the lane. Why is this? In Ghana, these things never happen, so who do you blame, you blame Yar Adua or the government again? for people to obey traffic rules? Just because no police man to arrest, no camera to catch you doesnt mean you shouldnt use your brain as to know the necessity of driving according to the highway and traffic rules. It is such a shame on Nigerians.

So Poster, change your question to, Why are traffic signals not obeyed by Nigerians but obeyed by people in the West and developed countries.
lolol that really made me laugh.
especially the honking for no reason. lolol
and especially the people who drive their cars in BOTH LANES!!
one half of the car on each side of the road. lolol
soooo true. i really wonder why that is. undecided
Re: Driving Overseas Vs Driving In Nigeria: Which Is Better? by joxiri: 2:21pm On Nov 08, 2009
I think driving in nigeria is the best no speed cameras, no box junctions with cameras no bus lanes no 30 mile speed limit, yeah these things are for safety but a 10 mile journey can take you a decent 1 hr or more in london even without traffic, just because those safety precautions
You have a brand new car and you cant even flog it properly, nigeria is a better place to drive any day
yes theres dangers but not for the very skillful drivers

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How To Know Signs Of A Bad Or Failing Abs Control Module / Strictly Bmw E30 / WANTED - Peugeot 504 Saloon

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.