Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,161 members, 7,818,533 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 06:07 PM

Driving Overseas Vs Driving In Nigeria: Which Is Better? - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Driving Overseas Vs Driving In Nigeria: Which Is Better? (4610 Views)

10 Safety Tips When Driving In The Rain / 25 Rules For Driving In Lagos / Does Driving In Neutral Gear Save Fuel ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Driving Overseas Vs Driving In Nigeria: Which Is Better? by THEAMAKA3(f): 2:30pm On Nov 08, 2009
joxiri:

I think driving in nigeria is the best no speed cameras, no box junctions with cameras no bus lanes no 30 mile speed limit, yeah these things are for safety but a 10 mile journey can take you a decent 1 hr or more in london even without traffic, just because those safety precautions
You have a brand new car and you cant even flog it properly, nigeria is a better place to drive any day
yes theres dangers but not for the very skillful drivers
so getting from point A to point B is more precious than your life and the lives of others?
na wa for you ooooo
Re: Driving Overseas Vs Driving In Nigeria: Which Is Better? by Nobody: 2:35pm On Nov 08, 2009
THE-AMAKA:

so getting from point A to point B is more precious than your life and the lives of others?
na wa for you ooooo

I did wonder.

It's one of the very reasons driving in Nigeria is pretty much hit or miss.
Re: Driving Overseas Vs Driving In Nigeria: Which Is Better? by joxiri: 3:28pm On Nov 08, 2009
the amaka 
its not like one should be in a rush or anything but 1 mile should nt take one more than 6 minutes driving, i mean even long distance runners do a mile in less time than 6 mins but its very possible it can take u that time whilst driving in london especially
Re: Driving Overseas Vs Driving In Nigeria: Which Is Better? by toshacer: 4:03pm On Nov 08, 2009
Noone has answered the pertinent question here- why do people in other countries, either in the west or in aficar, why do they obey traffic signals and traffic and driving decorum while in Nigeria, it is the opposite? In Ghana, South Africa and most other african countries, it is the same, no cammera, no police etc, but these people obey traffic signals, why is it different in Nigeria? Even those who lived abroad, when they come home, they flout traffic signal rules, why is this?
Re: Driving Overseas Vs Driving In Nigeria: Which Is Better? by THEAMAKA3(f): 4:12pm On Nov 08, 2009
Re: Driving Overseas Vs Driving In Nigeria: Which Is Better? by Outstrip(f): 4:33pm On Nov 08, 2009
tosh_acer:

Noone has answered the pertinent question here- why do people in other countries, either in the west or in aficar, why do they obey traffic signals and traffic and driving decorum while in Nigeria, it is the opposite? In Ghana, South Africa and most other african countries, it is the same, no cammera, no police etc, but these people obey traffic signals, why is it different in Nigeria? Even those who lived abroad, when they come home, they flout traffic signal rules, why is this?

My dad has always followed the rules and that did not change when he first moved back home to Nigeria. There was a bad situation were he was driving and the person behind him felt he was not driving fast enough and started using his car to push my dad's car. My dad said he could not believe it. He told the guy that they needed to maintain their lane and the guy was like we know dey do that for here. What really irritated my dad was that someone will just decide that they can use their vehicle to bump yours to make you go faster. I don't know how people can drive like human beings under such conditions. My dad is stickler for the law. If it is a residential area or a market place he will drive at a sensible speed limit. People do not understand that in Nigeria. So don't blame the ones that have to drive a little off to get to their destination
Re: Driving Overseas Vs Driving In Nigeria: Which Is Better? by toshacer: 4:37pm On Nov 08, 2009
OUTSTRIP

I dont think you answered the question.
Re: Driving Overseas Vs Driving In Nigeria: Which Is Better? by THEAMAKA3(f): 4:39pm On Nov 08, 2009
Outstrip:

My dad has always followed the rules and that did not change when he first moved back home to Nigeria. There was a bad situation were he was driving and the person behind him felt he was not driving fast enough and started using his car to push my dad's car. My dad said he could not believe it. He told the guy that they needed to maintain their lane and the guy was like we know dey do that for here. What really irritated my dad was that someone will just decide that they can use their vehicle to bump yours to make you go faster. I don't know how people can drive like human beings under such conditions. My dad is stickler for the law. If it is a residential area or a market place he will drive at a sensible speed limit. People do not understand that in Nigeria. So don't blame the ones that have to drive a little off to get to their destination
WOW!!!! how can someone use THEIR OWN CAR TO PUSH ANOTHER PERSON'S CAR? OMG!!  shocked shocked shocked
dont they even care if they damage their own car or put someone else's life at risk?
people that do such obviously see their life as worthless.
the best answer he could give was "we no dey do that for here"
na wa oooooo!! that is some crazy ish.
i knew people drove crazy but not to the extent of using your car to push another person's car.
just ridiculous!!

things like this are hazardous to the road.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oqeox9C2sk
Re: Driving Overseas Vs Driving In Nigeria: Which Is Better? by Nobody: 11:31am On Nov 11, 2009
Outstrip:

Only in Nigeria - and people actually think it's better than driving in the West? undecided
Re: Driving Overseas Vs Driving In Nigeria: Which Is Better? by akonsboy12: 1:46pm On Nov 11, 2009
Re: Driving Overseas Vs Driving In Nigeria: Which Is Better? by Nobody: 7:00pm On Nov 11, 2009
viva driving in nigeria

last friday at a roundabout a trailer driver attempting to escape the task force pricks hit the back of my car, scattered my bumper, demolished my rear light. see the driver of the trailer - i dont think he was up to 20
Re: Driving Overseas Vs Driving In Nigeria: Which Is Better? by THEAMAKA3(f): 7:01pm On Nov 11, 2009
oyb:

viva driving in nigeria

last friday at a roundabout a trailer driver attempting to escape the task force pricks hit the back of my car, scattered my bumper, demolished my rear light. see the driver of the trailer - i dont think he was up to 20

NA WA OOOOOO shocked shocked shocked
thank God you are okay oo. smiley
Re: Driving Overseas Vs Driving In Nigeria: Which Is Better? by vanitty: 7:05pm On Nov 11, 2009
Is this even up for discussion undecided
Well depends on the "abroad" u mean sha
Driving in surrey is one million times better than Nigeria, i think it has to do with you know road rules being obeyed and ermm money penalty or jail if you don't
I don't even bother in Nigeria, don't have the liver for that.
Re: Driving Overseas Vs Driving In Nigeria: Which Is Better? by Nobody: 7:06pm On Nov 11, 2009
THE-AMAKA:

NA WA OOOOOO shocked shocked shocked
thank God you are okay oo. smiley

thank you ooo

we thank God that it was only aggravation and not actual physical harm i suffered smiley
Re: Driving Overseas Vs Driving In Nigeria: Which Is Better? by toshacer: 1:37pm On Nov 15, 2009
Most of these contributors dont even have cars abroad, yet they comment, WTF?
Re: Driving Overseas Vs Driving In Nigeria: Which Is Better? by r231(m): 1:41pm On Nov 15, 2009
tosh_acer:

Most of these contributors dont even have cars abroad, yet they comment, WTF?

dumb ass
Re: Driving Overseas Vs Driving In Nigeria: Which Is Better? by toshacer: 2:05pm On Nov 15, 2009
^^^^ Your father.
Re: Driving Overseas Vs Driving In Nigeria: Which Is Better? by r231(m): 3:27pm On Nov 15, 2009
tosh_acer:

^^^^ Your father.

if you have one, u won't be referring to others like dat so maybe its time to have a conversation wiv ur mother if she can help u locate your father.
you still a DUMB ASS
Re: Driving Overseas Vs Driving In Nigeria: Which Is Better? by toshacer: 3:28pm On Nov 15, 2009
^^^oops, add your Mum to it.
Re: Driving Overseas Vs Driving In Nigeria: Which Is Better? by r231(m): 3:39pm On Nov 15, 2009
tosh_acer:

^^^oops, add your Mum to it.

thank you
Re: Driving Overseas Vs Driving In Nigeria: Which Is Better? by chelseabmw(m): 10:04pm On Sep 04, 2010
Driving in nigeria is the best
Re: Driving Overseas Vs Driving In Nigeria: Which Is Better? by VolvoS60(m): 11:25am On Dec 17, 2010
Quote from: Outstrip on November 08, 2009, 04:33 PM

"My dad has always followed the rules and that did not change when he first moved back home to Nigeria. There was a bad situation were he was driving and the person behind him felt he was not driving fast enough and started using his car to push my dad's car. My dad said he could not believe it. He told the guy that they needed to maintain their lane and the guy was like we know dey do that for here. What really irritated my dad was that someone will just decide that they can use their vehicle to bump yours to make you go faster. I don't know how people can drive like human beings under such conditions. "

grin  grin  grin
Re: Driving Overseas Vs Driving In Nigeria: Which Is Better? by akinwole21: 11:55am On Dec 17, 2010
For selfish reasons, I prefer driving in Nigeria.

I failed my driving test 2 times because of my 12yrs Naija driving experience. The first time was due to lack of respect to pedestrian and cyclist on the road.

In the UK, Nigerian DL (not the paper type Intl DL which is valid for 12 months) is not recognized for direct conversion to UK full DL (not Provisional DL which is just like a proof of ID) compared with other countries like South Africa & Zimbabwe in Africa.

Anyhow, am proud of Naija!
Re: Driving Overseas Vs Driving In Nigeria: Which Is Better? by Onwan: 1:31pm On Dec 17, 2010
My major problem out there is the seat belt and the $100 fine (its not funny at all) and too much monitoring.

For me, Naija is king.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How To Know Signs Of A Bad Or Failing Abs Control Module / Nairalander Orders Tesla Model X (100% Battery Empowered) / Strictly Bmw E30

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.