Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,852 members, 7,810,280 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:44 AM

Cross River State Govt Bans Okada - From Nov. 15th - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Cross River State Govt Bans Okada - From Nov. 15th (8574 Views)

Nigerian Govt Bans Other Para-military Agencies From Use Of Camouflage Uniforms / Oshiomhole Bans Okada In Benin City / Jigawa State Govt Bans Daily Trust Newspaper (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Cross River State Govt Bans Okada - From Nov. 15th by JosBoy4Lif(m): 5:48am On Nov 04, 2009
Fhemmmy:

their means of income has been taking away from them and now where do u expect them to find money to pay for the land, regardless of how cheap it comes

This is when the gov't should now mobilize and help them. Not to set them up in Calabar where the standard of living is definitely higher than in rural Cross River's
Re: Cross River State Govt Bans Okada - From Nov. 15th by phuckNL: 8:04am On Nov 04, 2009
Why can't you people just stop making unnecesseary noise. Other states did it. Did we hear of any increase in crime?
Lets wait till November 15 and we go see if all una excuses go carry water.
Govt must provide this, govt must provide that, . . . na Govt be una nanny?

Whether you like it or not, OKADA needs to be banned.
Trust me, LAGOS is only waiting for the right time. It will be banned in Lagos pretty soon.
Re: Cross River State Govt Bans Okada - From Nov. 15th by squiboy(m): 9:58am On Nov 04, 2009
why are u guys shouting, it happened in phc and abuja and all the okada men have found new jobs to do, some are taxi drivers and etc, and no body is complaining anymore.calabar has a more organized road network unlike phc, so it wont be a burden on the citizens, motorcycles are a nuisance and easiest way to broken limbs and death. grin
Re: Cross River State Govt Bans Okada - From Nov. 15th by toshacer: 10:01am On Nov 04, 2009
Amazingly stupid Nigerians will complain at anything good thrown their way.
Re: Cross River State Govt Bans Okada - From Nov. 15th by breathless(m): 11:02am On Nov 04, 2009
i have said repeatedly to those who cared to listen that i'll do thanksgiving in church when okada is eventually banned in lagos. it's just waitng to happen
Re: Cross River State Govt Bans Okada - From Nov. 15th by selingel: 11:22am On Nov 04, 2009
There is no point, it will happen someday, but what measure will be put in place to assist the ex okada riders will determine the new face of Lagos. Either increase crime rate, or life goes on normally.
Re: Cross River State Govt Bans Okada - From Nov. 15th by KnowAll(m): 11:51am On Nov 04, 2009
why are u guys shouting, it happened in phc and abuja and all the okada men have found new jobs to do, some are taxi drivers and etc, and no body is complaining anymore.calabar has a more organized road network unlike phc, so it wont be a burden on the citizens, motorcycles are a nuisance and easiest way to broken limbs and death.

It is good to think outside the box, the problem with some of us is we are looking at the small picture, those irritating uncontrollable and unruly motorcycle riders bellowing polluted air into horizon; it is a good riddance to bad rubbish. What we have failed to realise is the net effect and the repercussion of the ban.

The obvious consequence of this ill thought and hastily endorsed policy in Port Harcourt is of 2 folds, firstly, kidnapping incidents in eastern region in particular and the whole Nigeria in general has increased by 1000%, secondly the size of the insurgency in the creeks has quadrupled.

It doesn’t help when States like Imo and Abia went down the same inglorious route by copying an ill conceived policy from Rivers State, what we now have is an endemic problem that is about to consume the whole nation.

Today the militants who use to be a few disorganize marihuana smoking crazed youths with guns have swollen in size and can now be classified as a brigade. A Brigade in military parlance means having between 4000 to 5000 men under arms in a command structure.

Naija delta militants are no more restricted to Bayelsa and Rivers State but have a western command that stretches all the way to Ondo State. I will not be surprise to know that they have even infiltrated the lagoons and creeks of Lagos State.

If this is not the wholesome effect of the ban of Okada bikers in PH, then what could be further from the truth?

What could have led young able men into a struggle which could culminate in the loss of their own life if not hunger, desperation and despair? undecided
Re: Cross River State Govt Bans Okada - From Nov. 15th by selingel: 12:11pm On Nov 04, 2009
KnowAll:

why are u guys shouting, it happened in phc and abuja and all the okada men have found new jobs to do, some are taxi drivers and etc, and no body is complaining anymore.calabar has a more organized road network unlike phc, so it wont be a burden on the citizens, motorcycles are a nuisance and easiest way to broken limbs and death.

It is good to think outside the box, the problem with some of us is we are looking at the small picture, those irritating uncontrollable and unruly motorcycle riders bellowing polluted air into horizon; it is a good riddance to bad rubbish. What we have failed to realise is the net effect and the repercussion of the ban.

The obvious consequence of this ill thought and hastily endorsed policy in Port Harcourt is of 2 folds, firstly, kidnapping incidents in eastern region in particular and the whole Nigeria in general has increased by 1000%, secondly the size of the insurgency in the creeks has quadrupled.

It doesn’t help when States like Imo and Abia went down the same inglorious route by copying an ill conceived policy from Rivers State, what we now have is an endemic problem that is about to consume the whole nation.

Today the militants who use to be a few disorganize marihuana smoking crazed youths with guns have swollen in size and can now be classified as a brigade. A Brigade in military parlance means having between 4000 to 5000 men under arms in a command structure.

Naija delta militants are no more restricted to Bayelsa and Rivers State but have a western command that stretches all the way to Ondo State. I will not be surprise to know that they have even infiltrated the lagoons and creeks of Lagos State.

If this is not the wholesome effect of the ban of Okada bikers in PH, then what could be further from the truth?

What could have led young able men into a struggle which could culminate in the loss of their own life if not hunger, desperation and despair? undecided

That is the long and short of the story.
Re: Cross River State Govt Bans Okada - From Nov. 15th by SkyBlue1: 12:43pm On Nov 04, 2009
KnowAll:

What could have led young able men into a struggle which could culminate in the loss of their own life if not hunger, desperation and despair?  undecided

I'm sorry but I would have to point out that you might be the one being short sighted in all of this (personal view). Yes, I agree that okadas fill a void in the transportational sector, some people call them a necessary evil. However you seem to paint a picture of people being born with their body attached to okada. You seem to paint such a vice as the only viable thing to do in Nigeria as opposed to being probably an easy business to set up. In a lot of instances there is no regulation whatsoever, you have a bike, you can start okada; that my friend is why such thrives. An en vironment that tolerates such indiscipline is also why agberos and thuggery has also become a viable "profession".

This is like the argument people were making for illegal trading in Lagos. People could just put together a rickety structure over drainage and set up market stalls on the road, causing huge traffic and wasted man hours as well as exacerbating the drainage problem, yet such was fiercely defended by some. The simple truth is instilling order might mean there are some casualties. The irony of this whole thing is I was recently watching a video on lagos whereby a former oshodi trader, when asked about how she felt with regards to losing her business, was actually understanding and said it was necessary; she had just lost her business!! When some traders were asked about paying their taxes, for the first time in a long while I heard people being/sounding patriotic, saying they saw it as a duty since they knew the money was being spent to improve the state.

I am not saying that this particular strategy of just banning without creating alternatives is the best, a better thought out strategy might be required. However putting such vices up on such high mantles in the name of humanity just sounds ridiculous considering they are a serious hazard. The irony of all those who claim such views are elitist is that the people who most patronise okadas are low income earners, hence guess which group most largely populates those notorious wards reserved for okada injuriies? That's right, people who a lot of the times can't afford to pay their hospital bills, people who cannot afford to lose a limb because they are the bread winners of their families. Do you now see why I called your argument a bit short sighted? You might argue that Okada is a necessary evil, but I say if it is, then it is one we should be working extrajudiciously to eradicate.

P.S. the okada menace has actually spawned robberies via Okada and has actually become a useful tool in kidnapping. It seems to be in vogue to blame everything on a vague character called poverty, where do we draw the line? When do we say people not being able to ply the Okada trade is not the reason there is kidnapping and armed robbery.
Re: Cross River State Govt Bans Okada - From Nov. 15th by KnowAll(m): 1:08pm On Nov 04, 2009
^^^^^^^^^^

My friend I pray you are not cornered by one of those hoard of desperate men 120,000, those that have experience the menace and assault of these desperados will sing a with a different tune.

Those feeling the heat of these marauding mass of joblessness have already taking necessary step to correct the anomaly and that includes the FG, when they hit u where it hurts most u take notice of their plights, no wonder people like Boyloaf and Tompolo are feted in the highest office in the land.
Re: Cross River State Govt Bans Okada - From Nov. 15th by SkyBlue1: 1:11pm On Nov 04, 2009
KnowAll:

^^^^^^^^^^

My friend I pray you are not cornered by one of those hoard of desperate men 120,000, those that have experience the menace and assault of these desperados will sing a with a different tune.

Those feeling the heat of these marauding mass of joblessness have already taking necessary step to correct the anomaly and that includes the FG, when they hit u where it hurts most u take notice of their plights, no wonder people like Boyloaf and Tompolo are feted in the highest office in the land.

SO I am guessing you are not going to address the issues I raised? smiley
Re: Cross River State Govt Bans Okada - From Nov. 15th by KnowAll(m): 2:24pm On Nov 04, 2009
SO I am guessing you are not going to address the issues I raised?

I have already address the issue of a blanket ban of Okada riders in my earlier post, I said the whole exercise is an aesthetic policy of no intrinsic value to society other than the authorities excluding and disregarding the yearnings, pain, and the wellbeing of 85% of the Society.

To encourage what is clearly an elitist agenda to the detriment of society at large is not only going to spell doom and disaster for that society but clearly as we can see the early stage of the balkanisation of the Nigerian polity has already begun; it remains to see how far this rut will be allowed to slide before it is stopped.

I hope our clueless leaders will come to their senses and know that a flagrant pronouncement against the most vulnerable in our society is not governance but bullying and harassment. I sincerely hope our leaders will re-trace there steps and rescind all repressive and draconian laws which is anti-societal and apartheid in nature.

The Issue of Okada bikers involved in criminality can be addressed on a one to one basis, it is not any different from Danfo drivers involve in One-Chance. Should because Danfo drivers are involve in this social ills be banned from plying our roads. I am sure u can answer that.
Re: Cross River State Govt Bans Okada - From Nov. 15th by Oboma1(m): 2:43pm On Nov 04, 2009
KnowAll:

I have already address the issue of a blanket ban of Okada riders in my earlier post, I said the whole exercise is an aesthetic policy of no intrinsic value to society other than the authorities excluding and disregarding the yearnings, pain, and the wellbeing of 85% of the Society.

To encourage what is clearly an elitist agenda to the detriment of society at large is not only going to spell doom and disaster for that society but clearly as we can see the early stage of the balkanisation of the Nigerian polity has already begun; it remains to see how far this rut will be allowed to slide before it is stopped.

I hope our clueless leaders will come to their senses and know that a flagrant pronouncement against the most vulnerable in our society is not governance but bullying and harassment. I sincerely hope our leaders will re-trace there steps and rescind all repressive and draconian laws which is anti-societal and apartheid in nature.

The Issue of Okada bikers involved in criminality can be addressed on a one to one basis, it is not any different from Danfo drivers involve in One-Chance. Should because Danfo drivers are involve in this social ills be banned from plying our roads. I am sure u can answer that.

Good talk!.
Re: Cross River State Govt Bans Okada - From Nov. 15th by THEAMAKA3(f): 2:47pm On Nov 04, 2009
how to they expect people to get from point A to point B if they cant go through the main roads.
this policy is bullshit!! they are taking away the rights of many people to feed their families.
when Nigeria cannot supply steady jobs for its citizens, they are taking the only thing they have left.
what do they want them to do now?
many people will starve.
to me, this only spells disaster!!!
Re: Cross River State Govt Bans Okada - From Nov. 15th by Oboma1(m): 3:02pm On Nov 04, 2009
May be the Government wants to copy OYO STATE, by turning everybody into taxi driver, most especially the few graduates there. To them, it is better than Okada riding.
Re: Cross River State Govt Bans Okada - From Nov. 15th by OAM4J: 4:12pm On Nov 04, 2009
KnowAll:

Nice one KnowAll. quite my sentiments.
Re: Cross River State Govt Bans Okada - From Nov. 15th by phuckNL: 4:14pm On Nov 04, 2009
THE-AMAKA:

how to they expect people to get from point A to point B if they cant go through the main roads.
this policy is bullshit!! they are taking away the rights of many people to feed their families.
when Nigeria cannot supply steady jobs for its citizens, they are taking the only thing they have left.
what do they want them to do now?
many people will starve.
to me, this only spells disaster!!!

You really need to stop commenting on issues from 10,000 miles away.
What do you know about the transport system. We survived when there were no OKADA's. We will survive when they are banned.
No one will starve. They will find other things to do. The only reason we have as many Okada's is because people saw it as an easy way  out. No regulation, no stiff license procedures etc.
You dey sit for america dia they talk say it spells disaster. Abegi. Which disaster happened in PH and Abuja.
The guy that said kidnapping will increase/increased because of OKADA ban knows nothing. (i am not surprise though. another diasporan who thinks he knows what is happening in Nigeria. , mr knowitall)
Kidnapping increased because People keep paying the ransome. The govt is not checking the menace, as a result, it is becoming rampant.
Re: Cross River State Govt Bans Okada - From Nov. 15th by SkyBlue1: 4:26pm On Nov 04, 2009
KnowAll:

I have already address the issue of a blanket ban of Okada riders in my earlier post, I said the whole exercise is an aesthetic policy of no intrinsic value to society other than the authorities excluding and disregarding the yearnings, pain, and the wellbeing of  85% of the Society.  

I was going to give a detailed response but I thought it would mostly be a repeat of what I have said. What I do find amusing though is how you keep referring to this as an "elitist" agenda. True it is mostly people of lower income who patronise okadas, true it is mostly people of lower income who also run okada business. The same excuse can be used for illegal street trading which happens on the road and affects everybody. The okada menace is not an elite Nigeria problem but a Nigerian one, simple as that. It is not only the rich that are subjected to the wreckless display exhibited by okada rider which not only causes accidents but also adds to the whole traffic problem. Driving in Nigeria was already difficult enough. I am not necessarily against Okada in itself, but fiercely opposed to the Nigerian Okada culture. A culture which has lead to many people ending up in hospitals, losing limbs and sustaining serious injuries. Please do tell, what portion of the society is mostly affected by such injuries?

A more apt anoalogy for your argument would be a man complaining about traffic jams in lagos but being fiercely opposed to cleaning up of illegal street traders because they sell him gala while he waits in the traffic jam they had a hand in exacerbating. Isn't such a view myopic? Just because mostly people from a particular income bracket indulge in such ventures does not make it right. Just because poor and unemployed youths are arguably more likely to be armed robbers does not make armed robbery right. What seems a bit naive is the assumption that if there are viable alternatives people would stop using Okada. Do we speak of thesame Nigeria? A lot of people use Okada because they can carelessly and wrecklessly weave through traffic jams without concern for other road users, are we going to close our eyes to such indiscipline also and pretend that is not the case? Please.
Re: Cross River State Govt Bans Okada - From Nov. 15th by ProAnti: 4:26pm On Nov 04, 2009
At last!!!
Thank God.

Gov. Imoke's first real policy achievement.
Okadas were banned in PHC and nothing happened, how much more a small city like Calabar.
Re: Cross River State Govt Bans Okada - From Nov. 15th by Oboma1(m): 6:25pm On Nov 04, 2009
Pro Anti:

At last!!!
Thank God.

Gov. Imoke's first real policy achievement.
Okadas were banned in PHC and nothing happened, how much more a small city like Calabar.

Please, I am not attacking you here, but nothing happened in Portharcourt becos there are opportunities there. Dont even forget that, some of these Okada men left PH for Calabar and Uyo, since their services where no longer needed. Now, if you stop them at Calabar, what happens?
Re: Cross River State Govt Bans Okada - From Nov. 15th by jona2: 6:59pm On Nov 04, 2009
0sisi:

I say make you ride on with ya dog munching
Tufiakwa!

osisi your igbo people eat dogs also,what about your igbo people from your state of Abia who are well know human eater(cannibal}??
osisi the stupid tribalist.
Re: Cross River State Govt Bans Okada - From Nov. 15th by jona2: 8:13pm On Nov 04, 2009
0sisi:

Toshi nwa mama biko jie brake there
there is meat and there is meat
are Calabar people eating dogs because of poverty?
I feel like throwing up as I imagine bingo in a pot
Re: Cross River State Govt Bans Okada - From Nov. 15th by jona2: 9:00pm On Nov 04, 2009
JosBoy4Lif:

This is when the gov't should now mobilize and help them. Not to set them up in Calabar where the standard of living is definitely higher than in rural Cross River's
Re: Cross River State Govt Bans Okada - From Nov. 15th by jona2: 11:06pm On Nov 04, 2009
cool
Re: Cross River State Govt Bans Okada - From Nov. 15th by Oboma1(m): 12:18am On Nov 05, 2009
Somehow, I am waiting to see the result of the ban. Soon Akwa Ibom will join. I heard that, Okada is more than human beings in Uyo. How true is that?. grin grin grin
Re: Cross River State Govt Bans Okada - From Nov. 15th by jona2: 12:22am On Nov 05, 2009
Oboma1:

Somehow, I am waiting to see the result of the ban. Soon Akwa Ibom will join. I heard that, Okada is more than human beings in Uyo. How true is that?. grin grin grin

this is how igbo people carry rumors about other tribes in nigeria?you guys hate yourselves just like you do others.
Re: Cross River State Govt Bans Okada - From Nov. 15th by Ndipe(m): 2:54am On Nov 05, 2009
I dont think Okada should be banned. Entering a taxi in my opinion is more dangerous than riding an Okada, because you might be in the midst of kidnappers and robbers and all that. No, I prefer Okada anytime over taxi.
Re: Cross River State Govt Bans Okada - From Nov. 15th by Oboma1(m): 10:26am On Nov 05, 2009
Ndipe:

I dont think Okada should be banned. Entering a taxi in my opinion is more dangerous than riding an Okada, because you might be in the midst of kidnappers and robbers and all that. No, I prefer Okada anytime over taxi.

Well said, but will they listen!
Re: Cross River State Govt Bans Okada - From Nov. 15th by phuckNL: 6:34pm On Nov 05, 2009
Oboma1:

Well said, but will they listen!

Ndipe:

I hereby nominate the 2 posts above as the DUMBEST ever since manking was created. You need an award.
If you are scared of kidnappers, you can go to taxi parks/garages to get credible taxis. By the way, why can't an Okada rider kidnap you as well?
Your excuse is too ridiculous.
Re: Cross River State Govt Bans Okada - From Nov. 15th by Tudor6(f): 2:13am On Nov 06, 2009
The way some people think is quite shameful and embarrassing, I've read stupid excuses from how unkempt the riders look to risking ones life on a bike.

Its only a brain-dead slowpoke who'll expect a poor okada rider to don a prada suit and go about his business.

As to the weak excuse of 'risk', do vehicle drivers not drive recklessly too? Are automobile accidents not occuring everyday? I guess they should ban cars too then we can all go on to riding the safe camels.
Re: Cross River State Govt Bans Okada - From Nov. 15th by selingel: 6:04pm On Nov 06, 2009
grin grin grin grin
Re: Cross River State Govt Bans Okada - From Nov. 15th by BILLIONs1: 10:57pm On Nov 06, 2009
How many police officers and security personnel is govt willing to deploy after this ban. Because the state would surely need it for the crime that will be unleashed thereafter.

When I hear lame govt programs like substituting 120,000 unemployed okada riders with 250 drivers it makes me sick. Of what effect will this have? Is it feasible to run drive-training schemes for okada riders after the ban, how long will this take, how many will genuinly gat a cab, HONETLY.

The Okada transport business is one of the private business sectors in Calabar (which is a civil service state) why on earth will government want to pinch revenue accrued to citizen (by hard work) in this sector by deploying govt owned taxis which ultimately the funds will be embezzled or mismanaged.

This govt should look for more innovative ways of improving the real sector and bringing more business and industries to the state instead of all these policies that are not directly beneficial to livelyhood of it citizens, and even take food of the tables of common citizen and put them in the accounts of lofty political thugs and thieves.

Another big joke is "all in the name of keeping the town clean and modern" NA CLEAN WE GO CHOP?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

How Nzeogwu Shot Mum - Ademulegun's Daughter / Igbo Senators Shun Ekwueme's 80th Celebration / The Truth About 'Lagos' Sunburn Yacht Hotel

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.