Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,968 members, 7,821,393 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 12:23 PM

Bitter Leaf Soup - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Bitter Leaf Soup (9031 Views)

A Foodie's Guide To Making Ogbono/bitter Leaf Soup / How I Made Low Budget Goat Head Bitter Leaf Egusi Soup / Efirin/scented Leaf Soup (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Bitter Leaf Soup by Nobody: 10:15pm On Nov 02, 2009
kind people can i get the receipe and method of preparing BITTER LEAF SOUP?
thank you soo much.
Re: Bitter Leaf Soup by SeanT21(f): 10:59pm On Nov 02, 2009
Bitter leaf soup is so bitter. U are brave oo.

Here is a Nigerian recipe.

Ingredients

The following are the ingredients for Bitter Leaf Soup

1kg of assorted meat (Beef, ox tail, shaki, cow leg, goat meat)

I medium smoked fish

I big size stock fish

100grams grounded Crayfish

2 Maggi cubes

1 big sized onion

2 tablespoonfuls dried grounded red hot chilli pepper

10 tablespoonful of red palm oil

2 medium sized white cocoyam

Freshly squeezed or dried bitter leaf

Salt – ½ teaspoonfuls

1 tablespoonful of dried curry powder

½ teaspoonfuls of dried thyme leaves

10 cups of water

Servings: 5

Cooking Time : 90 minutes

Method :

Thoroughly wash the assorted meat in clean warm water. Put in a medium sized pot, add about a cup or two of water and two cubes of maggi seasoning or bullion cubes, half onion, sliced, salt to taste, little sprinkle of dried curry powder – about ½ tablespoonful, dried thyme leaves, and bring to boil for about 20 minutes.

Thoroughly wash the stock fish with sponge to remove any vestige of sand gain and allow to run under plenty of tap water. The stock fish is best soaked overnight to allow it absorb water and become tender. Cut the stock fish into servable bits and add it to the boiling meat. Allow to boil for 5 – 10 minutes.

Add the washed medium smoked fish, and allow the whole mixture of assorted meat, stock fish, and smoked fish to boil for another 5 minutes.

Now add about 4 cups of water into the pot of boiling meat and fish, and add about 1 or 2 tablespoonful of dried red hot pepper to taste and freshly squeezed or dried bitter leaf (3 to 4 balls of hand squeezed fresh bitter leaf, or 3 – 5 tablespoonful of dried bitter leaf. Allow to boil for 3 – 5 minutes.

At this point, add the palm oil, and already cooked and mashed cocoyam to thicken the soup. Where you can not get cocoyam a sprinkle of garri would do the same.

Add salt, and pepper to taste again, and allow to cook for 10 minutes.

Your bitter leaf soup is ready to eat.

Bitter leaf soup can be eaten or served with pounded yam or semolina or eba

http://www.africanfoods.co.uk/bitter-leaf-soup.html
Re: Bitter Leaf Soup by Hauwa1: 11:46pm On Nov 02, 2009
ummm, according to my mama style of ofe onugbu, bitter leaf is blended and no curry kiss
Re: Bitter Leaf Soup by Nobody: 7:20pm On Nov 03, 2009
thanks so much. smiley
Re: Bitter Leaf Soup by mohawkchic(f): 7:28pm On Nov 03, 2009
SeanT21:

Bitter leaf soup is so bitter.

[size=13pt] ~Thats the idea i had as well,being "Bitter Leaf" & all- when cooked properly tho,there's no tatse of any bitterness to it at all!! I think the key is in the boiling/washing of the leaves. . What my Nana says anyways. . hers is the only one i'd eat![/size]
Re: Bitter Leaf Soup by muffins(f): 7:39pm On Nov 03, 2009
Why is bitter leaf so bitter[/color][color=#990000][/color][color=#990000][/color][color=#990000]? undecided
Re: Bitter Leaf Soup by AdaMbaise: 1:14am On Aug 29, 2010
It is medicinal and it helps cleanse out your intestine.
Re: Bitter Leaf Soup by zenatta: 2:47am On Sep 07, 2010
was given a recipe of this soup last September and since then I cannot stop blowing my trumpets on how good a cook I have become of this soup.
I love making and eating it. I guessed it is healthy and I am glad to know now. Thanks AdaMbaise.

1 Like

Re: Bitter Leaf Soup by Nobody: 1:33pm On Sep 07, 2010
If you don't wash your leaves properly, the soup will be bitter. It's a little strenuous today, but it's definitely worth it as you're rewarded with a delicious pot of soup cheesy

I wash my leaves for nearly an hour, depending on how much soup is being made. When washing, don't use too much water as that makes it difficult to wash the leaves; they disintegrate and too much water prevents you from washing properly. I put small oil in the water if the leaves are foaming too much. After the water has turned black, I like to pull the leaves from the water, strain, and start washing in new water. Always try your leaves before you finish washing! There's no time limit on washing. There's no way of checking if your leaves are ready unless you taste it, in my opinion. There should be no bitterness in the leaves when you're done washing.

Sorry OP, I know you asked for a recipe. I don't have one but here's a little advice so that one's soup isn't bitter smiley

1 Like

Re: Bitter Leaf Soup by zenatta: 3:21pm On Sep 07, 2010
^^^
thanks so much. needed to know this as I have to depend on others to do this for me

1 Like

Re: Bitter Leaf Soup by Nobody: 6:08am On Sep 08, 2010
No problem! Glad it helped you out. That's how my mom taught me smiley
Re: Bitter Leaf Soup by bayleaf(m): 3:02pm On Sep 13, 2010
funy enough i like the bitter taste. i wash mine just once and put it in the soup.
Re: Bitter Leaf Soup by tpiadotcom: 6:07am On Jun 20, 2015
If you don't wash your leaves properly, the soup will be bitter. It's a little strenuous today, but it's definitely worth it as you're rewarded with a delicious pot of soup cheesy

I wash my leaves for nearly an hour, depending on how much soup is being made. When washing, don't use too much water as that makes it difficult to wash the leaves; they disintegrate and too much water prevents you from washing properly. I put small oil in the water if the leaves are foaming too much. After the water has turned black, I like to pull the leaves from the water, strain, and start washing in new water. Always try your leaves before you finish washing! There's no time limit on washing. There's no way of checking if your leaves are ready unless you taste it, in my opinion. There should be no bitterness in the leaves when you're done washing.

Sorry OP, I know you asked for a recipe. I don't have one but here's a little advice so that one's soup isn't bitter smiley

very correct.

1 Like

Re: Bitter Leaf Soup by tpiadotcom: 6:08am On Jun 20, 2015
bayleaf:
funy enough i like the bitter taste. i wash mine just once and put it in the soup.

the actual bitterness is too much though, unless you're not using a lot perhaps?
Re: Bitter Leaf Soup by mzhyde: 5:54am On Jun 21, 2015
I m igbo from Anambra State and this is how I do it

1kg beef
2 stockfish heads
1 roundof smoked cat fish
2 tbspoons of achi or 6 medium sized cocoyams
100g ground crayfish
Up to 300 g washed bitterleaf
2 cooking spoons red oil
2 wraps ogili

Preparation
Put your bitterleaf in a pot and boil with lots of water till stems turn yellow to further remove bitterness
Put the stockfish, smoked fish and meat in your main pot , add water to cover and leave abt half an inch above the meat and start cooking
Nows the time to boil cocoyam till soft and pound till no more lumps can be felt
When your main stock has boiled,add already boiled bitterleaf and leave to boil,then
,add your pounded cocoyam and leave to boil
Then add crayfish,fresh pepper,2 cubes of knorr,2 spoons of oil, salt to taste, if you are using achi,nows the time to dissolve in water and add to the point.i wld recommend adding it half a tablespoon at a time every 5 mins till you get the consistency yoù prefer

Then , reduce our flame and leave to simmer...do not
tun yet

Turn when you see it boiling cheerfully
Your soup is ready when your meat is tender

My ppl eat it with akpu(pounded cassava)

A word of caution, none of the quantities of achi , cocoyam or bitterleaf are exact, I ve never measured them before,use your discretion,I ll measure it next time and update this

Since I came to calabar,I ve started using shelled periwinkles and my yoruba friend loves it...he s even asking for it as a birthday treat
Tell me how you get on

2 Likes

Re: Bitter Leaf Soup by aydelicious: 5:47pm On Jun 22, 2015
SeanT21:

Ingredients

I medium smoked fish

I big size stock fish

2 Maggi cubes

1 big sized onion

Salt – ½ teaspoonfuls

10 cups of water

Method :

Thoroughly wash the assorted meat in clean warm water. Put in a medium sized pot, add about a cup or two of water and two cubes of maggi seasoning or bullion cubes, half onion, sliced, salt to taste, little sprinkle of dried curry powder – about ½ tablespoonful, dried thyme leaves, and bring to boil for about 20 minutes.

Thoroughly wash the stock fish with sponge to remove any vestige of sand gain and allow to run under plenty of tap water. The stock fish is best soaked overnight to allow it absorb water and become tender. Cut the stock fish into servable bits and add it to the boiling meat. Allow to boil for 5 – 10 minutes.

Add the washed medium smoked fish, and allow the whole mixture of assorted meat, stock fish, and smoked fish to boil for another 5 minutes.

Now add about 4 cups of water into the pot of boiling meat and fish, and add about 1 or 2 tablespoonful of dried red hot pepper to taste and freshly squeezed or dried bitter leaf (3 to 4 balls of hand squeezed fresh bitter leaf, or 3 – 5 tablespoonful of dried bitter leaf. Allow to boil for 3 – 5 minutes.

At this point, add the palm oil, and already cooked and mashed cocoyam to thicken the soup. Where you can not get cocoyam a sprinkle of garri would do the same.

lovelyyyyyy.hhhmmmmm what a nice taste to have at anytime
Re: Bitter Leaf Soup by tpiadotcom: 1:15pm On Jun 23, 2015
^ have you eaten it before? cheesy
Re: Bitter Leaf Soup by giftcruzzy: 2:54pm On Sep 10, 2015
please how do one prepare bitterleaf soup without using cocoyam as thickner [color=#770077][/color]
Re: Bitter Leaf Soup by Ama80(f): 5:54am On Sep 14, 2015
SeanT21:

Ingredients

I medium smoked fish

I big size stock fish

2 Maggi cubes

1 big sized onion

Salt – ½ teaspoonfuls

10 cups of water

Method :

u mean u use curry,thyme,onion to cook bitterleaf soup.aru!

4 Likes

Re: Bitter Leaf Soup by aariwa(m): 5:54pm On Sep 15, 2015
mzhyde:
I m igbo from Anambra State and this is how I do it

1kg beef
2 stockfish heads
1 roundof smoked cat fish
2 tbspoons of achi or 6 medium sized cocoyams
100g ground crayfish
Up to 300 g washed bitterleaf
2 cooking spoons red oil
2 wraps ogili

Preparation
Put your bitterleaf in a pot and boil with lots of water till stems turn yellow to further remove bitterness
Put the stockfish, smoked fish and meat in your main pot , add water to cover and leave abt half an inch above the meat and start cooking
Nows the time to boil cocoyam till soft and pound till no more lumps can be felt
When your main stock has boiled,add already boiled bitterleaf and leave to boil,then
,add your pounded cocoyam and leave to boil
Then add crayfish,fresh pepper,2 cubes of knorr,2 spoons of oil, salt to taste, if you are using achi,nows the time to dissolve in water and add to the point.i wld recommend adding it half a tablespoon at a time every 5 mins till you get the consistency yoù prefer

Then , reduce our flame and leave to simmer...do not
tun yet

Turn when you see it boiling cheerfully
Your soup is ready when your meat is tender

My ppl eat it with akpu(pounded cassava)

A word of caution, none of the quantities of achi , cocoyam or bitterleaf are exact, I ve never measured them before,use your discretion,I ll measure it next time and update this

Since I came to calabar,I ve started using shelled periwinkles and my yoruba friend loves it...he s even asking for it as a birthday treat
Tell me how you get on
Re: Bitter Leaf Soup by aydelicious: 4:22pm On Sep 17, 2015
Ama80:
u mean u use curry,thyme,onion to cook bitterleaf soup.aru!
don't add curry to it but you can only add a little thyme to it and the onions will be chopping to it.
Re: Bitter Leaf Soup by Ama80(f): 8:30pm On Sep 17, 2015
aydelicious:

don't add curry to it but you can only add a little thyme to it and the onions will be chopping to it.
jump n pass
Re: Bitter Leaf Soup by aydelicious: 1:53pm On Sep 18, 2015
Ama80:
jump n pass
Re: Bitter Leaf Soup by Pavore9: 4:23pm On Sep 18, 2015
Onions, curry, thyme in bitterleaf soup?

5 Likes

Re: Bitter Leaf Soup by Bollinger(m): 7:02am On Sep 21, 2015
Pavore9:
Onions, curry, thyme in bitterleaf soup?

Exactly. Most of these soups are so easy to cook, but most "chefs" just make things so difficult. When i cook it, I;

1. Boil whatever type of meat, stockfish, and fish together in one pot.

2. Wash the bitter leaf with salt and boil after washing for 30 minutes.

3. Boil and blend/mash cocoyam into a paste.

4. When properly cooked, remove the fish (if any) from the cooked meat while leaving the stockfish and add palm oil with pepper and crayfish.

5. Add the mashed cocoyam into the soup and let it cook for 10 min. (Experience will let you know how much quantity you need)

6. Once the cocoyam thickner has blended with the soup, add the bitter leaf and fish. Don't drown the soup with bitter leaf. Experience over time will show you the quantity you need.

7. Cook for another 20 minutes at low heat and then you are done.

Enjoy.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Why Do People Love Roasted Corn? / Three Crowns Commences Family Dance Off In Its ‘Jara’ Campaign / Best Food For Life: Which Food Do You Eat Everyday?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.