Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,015 members, 7,817,993 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:36 AM

Is It Eczema Or Something Else? —A Must Read - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Is It Eczema Or Something Else? —A Must Read (2243 Views)

Help! Pls I Need Effective Treatment Of Eczema(pics) / Eczema: Please Help / I Saw Eczema On Her Face, And When I Asked She Said She Recently Changed Soap. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It Eczema Or Something Else? —A Must Read by Kalatium(m): 5:04pm On Nov 14, 2016
Tinea versicolor: A stubborn skin disease

Most Nigerians mistake tinea versicolor for eczema due to similarity. Tinea is one of the most common disease in Nigeria mostly occurring in faces of adolescents and young adults, it is very embarrassing.

Introduction

Tinea versicolor(tinea flava) or pityriasis versicolor is a human skin infection cause by a dermatophytic yeast fungi. It is more common in hot, humid climates or in those who sweat heavily . Tinea versicolor causes an infected area to look different from the rest of the skin (Hyperpigmentation or Hypopigmentation). This disease is often confused with eczema.

Tinea versicolor appears at the back of the neck, trunk, face, back etc

Aetiology(cause)

The cause of Tinea versicolor was not known until recent studies shows that majority of the case is caused by the fungus Malassezia globosa or minority by M. furfur. This organism grows naturally on the human skin (a yeast—which means it is not transmitted from one person to another) harmlessly but becomes harmful when the conditions are right i.e hot and humid condition etc. The disease was first identified in 1846.

Signs and symptoms

Hypopigmentation —loss in skin colour, occurs on dark skin tone.
Hyperpigmentation —increase in skin colour, occurs on light skin tones.
Occasional fine scaling of the skin produce a very superficial ash-like scale Pale, dark tan, or pink in color, with a reddish undertone that can darken when the patient is overheated, such as in a hot shower or during/afterexercise, tanning typically makes the affected areas contrast more starkly with the surrounding skin.(Wikipedia, 2015)
Signs of Tinea versicolor occurring on the face usually begins around the nose and spread to other parts of the face.

Epidemiology

Mostly affect adolescent and young adults in humid and warm climate.The yeast is thought to feed on skin oils( lipids), as well as dead skin cells. Infections are more common in people who have seborrheic dermatitis , dandruff, and hyperhidrosis.

Diagnosis

If diagnosis can’t be made just by looking at the skin, your doctor may take a skin scraping. A skin scraping removes cells from your skin for testing by scraping the skin gently. The cells will then be viewed under a microscope to see if they contain the yeast that brings about this condition.
Your doctor may also use a Wood’s lamp to look at your skin. This special machine, which uses ultraviolet light, will be held 4 to 5 inches from your skin. If yeast is present, the affected skin will be yellow or green under the light.Tinea versicolor may be diagnosed by a potassium hydroxide (KOH) preparation and lesions may fluoresce copper-orange when exposed to Wood'slamp .
Appearance of tinea versicolor in the face usually originate from the nose.

Differential Diagnosis (related disease)
Dermatitis(eczema)
Vitiligo

Treatment

Although treatment are available but the exact conditions that cause initiation of the disease process are poorly understood.
Treatment options include:

Topical anti-fungals—These products are applied directly to your skin and may be in the form of lotion, shampoo, cream, foam, or soap. They keep the growth of the yeast under control. Over-the-counter anti-fungal topical products containing ingredients such as zinc, pyrithione, selenium sulfide, miconazole,itraconazole, clotrimazole , and terbinafine are available. But sometimes prescription medications may be needed.

Anti-fungal pills—These may be used to treat more serious or recurrent cases of tinea versicolor. Or in some cases they may be used because they can provide a simpler and quicker resolution of the infection. These medicines are given by prescription and can have side effects. So it's important to be monitored by your doctor while using anti-fungal pills.
Treatment usually eliminates the fungal infection. However, the discoloration of the skin may take up to several months to resolve.

Management

Recurrent episodes are very common because the yeast that causes the infection is a normal fungus that lives on skin. Medicated cleansers may be used one or two times a month to help prevent tinea versicolor from coming back. You may need to use these cleansers if the infection keeps returning, especially if you live in a warm and humid area.
Here are some tips to help you manage tinea versicolor:
Avoid using oily skin products.
Reduce your exposure to the sun. Exposure to the sun may trigger or worsen an episode, and a tan makes the rash more visible.
If you have to go out in the sun, consider using an anti-fungal shampoo daily for a couple of days prior to sun exposure.
Put on sunscreen every day. Use a non-greasy formula with a minimum sun protection factor (SPF) of 30.
Do not wear tight clothing.
Wear breathable fabrics, such as cotton, to decrease sweating.

Reference
Http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tinea Versicolor (retrieved November 7, 2015).
Http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/tinea-versicolor-cause-symptoms-treatments?page=2(retrieved November 18, 2015)
Http://www.healthline.com/health/tinea-versicolor#Overview1(retrieved November 23, 2015)

© Kalatium

Re: Is It Eczema Or Something Else? —A Must Read by Kalatium(m): 5:12pm On Nov 14, 2016
This is the most embarrassing disease so far.
Love to hear your comments
Re: Is It Eczema Or Something Else? —A Must Read by Edwinmason(m): 5:21pm On Nov 14, 2016
its eczema .....try local herbal soap or cream, they are effective
Re: Is It Eczema Or Something Else? —A Must Read by Kalatium(m): 5:42pm On Nov 14, 2016
Edwinmason:
It's not eczema, it's called tinea versicolor. The herbal soap or cream your talking about is antifungal, tinea is a type of fungi. Therefore it gets killed in the process

Re: Is It Eczema Or Something Else? —A Must Read by Edwinmason(m): 5:44pm On Nov 14, 2016
Kalatium:

It's not eczema, it's called tinea versicolor. The herbal soap or cream your talking about is antifungal, tinea is a type of fungi. Therefore it gets killed in the process
okay my mistake...thank you
Re: Is It Eczema Or Something Else? —A Must Read by Kalatium(m): 5:49pm On Nov 14, 2016
Edwinmason:
okay my mistake...thank you
You are welcome
Re: Is It Eczema Or Something Else? —A Must Read by Kalatium(m): 11:45am On Nov 15, 2016
The first pix is tinea versicolor while the second is eczema (dermatitis). Pls do not confuse the two
Re: Is It Eczema Or Something Else? —A Must Read by Nobody: 9:59am On Aug 23, 2018
Please what kind of soap can I use for it
Re: Is It Eczema Or Something Else? —A Must Read by Nobody: 10:01am On Aug 23, 2018
Edwinmason:
Re: Is It Eczema Or Something Else? —A Must Read by Nobody: 10:01am On Aug 23, 2018
Kalatium:

Re: Is It Eczema Or Something Else? —A Must Read by Deprofessional(m): 10:11am On Aug 23, 2018
Oegbeyem1:

I'm also interested in the herbal soap.
Re: Is It Eczema Or Something Else? —A Must Read by Kalatium(m): 9:14pm On Aug 26, 2018
Oegbeyem1:
I will recommend ketoconazole cream n tablet
Re: Is It Eczema Or Something Else? —A Must Read by Nobody: 4:13pm On Aug 27, 2018
Kalatium:

I will recommend ketoconazole cream n tablet
griseofulvin tablet gives me a terrible headache. I bought a clorimatrozole cream but it's small and expensive. I don't think that's a sustainable treatment for me right now finance-wise. Can Dudu Osun soap work?
Re: Is It Eczema Or Something Else? —A Must Read by Kalatium(m): 4:16pm On Mar 14, 2020
griseofulvin tablet gives me a terrible headache. I bought a clorimatrozole cream but it's small and expensive. I don't think that's a sustainable treatment for me right now finance-wise. Can Dudu Osun soap work?
Re: Is It Eczema Or Something Else? —A Must Read by Kalatium(m): 4:17pm On Mar 14, 2020

Sorry man i didnt see your message
But as for dudu osun it may or may not reduce it on your face cos the effects of dudu osun has not being tested. Even if dudu osun works for a while, that thing will still come back. You need to take tablets to kill it from the inside

(1) (Reply)

How Many Pullups Can You Do? / Woman Claims Metal Wire Has Grown From Her Body For 18 Years / Bone-setting, Fracture Can Be 100% Treated In Nigeria-dr. Bone

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.