Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,963 members, 7,825,016 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 11:41 PM

Nigeria: Power Crisis And Prosperity - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria: Power Crisis And Prosperity (9941 Views)

Power Crisis: Nigeria Lacks Gas To Generate 7,000MW —osinbajo / Power Crisis ; See The Little Gadget That Rescued Me Last Night. PICTURES. / BUHARI GOVT: Eyeing Lagos Template To Solve Power Crisis. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria: Power Crisis And Prosperity by SkyBlue1: 9:30pm On Nov 04, 2009
mccloud224:

The people gaining from power generators and importation of fuel will NOT allow that to come to pass.Do you know these few people make between hundreds of millions to billions of naira every week from importing these commodities? Imagine the PHCN chairman recieving N100 million as kick back every month. . . lol. . . he will personally blow up the service stations to please his masters.

Hahahahaha

E go tay b4 we get lite 4 dis kwantry! ! !

Can we at least get some reliable material or report or whatever to back up such claims? This thread is beginning to have the credibility of gossip columns.
Re: Nigeria: Power Crisis And Prosperity by MrCrackles(m): 9:32pm On Nov 04, 2009
Sky Blue:

Can we at least get some reliable material or report or whatever to back up such claims? This thread is beginning to have the credibility of gossip columns.
Exactly. . . .We need hard facts!
Re: Nigeria: Power Crisis And Prosperity by Afam(m): 9:49pm On Nov 04, 2009
MrCrackles:

Exactly. . . .We need hard facts!

It seems you have forgotten that Nigerians prefer rumors, gossips and conspiracy theories to facts and truth.
Re: Nigeria: Power Crisis And Prosperity by MrCrackles(m): 9:51pm On Nov 04, 2009
Afam:

It seems you have forgotten that Nigerians prefer rumors, gossips and conspiracy theories to facts and truth.
Actually i havnt forgotten. . . . cheesy
Re: Nigeria: Power Crisis And Prosperity by AjanleKoko: 10:36pm On Nov 04, 2009
Afam:

I believe card technology, ATMs and e-commerce are supposed to work together to make buying and selling easy regardless of any physical boundaries.

Any combination of these that make the processes unsafe for even people who do not care about e-commerce but still have to see their funds withdrawn from their bank accounts without their consents does not make sense.

Elementary knowledge of anything based on facts that cannot be disputed is 100% better than what you think you know that you may want to discuss with people you may want to rip off.

In any case, I know a lot about card technology, how cards are programmed, how card readers work, how ATMs are just computers with note counters and printers and what e-commerce entails because I develop e-commerce websites from scratch and implement custom coupon based payment gateways that are not only safe but running flawlessly as I write this.

Do not question my elementary knowledge, question the facts provided and counter them with logic, facts, relevant knowledge and common sense if any.

I am sick and tired of people who do nothing but criticize others even when they will not state any reasonable thing on the issue at stake.

People who have never used the internet to make payments with their ATM cards or given out their card details to anyone are losing their money without any end in sight and all you do is brag about filling different shipping addresses while card processors decline some of them and you still claim you were not doing anything illegal (read the post that was flagged off as spam).
Dude,
No need to get so upset.
I was wondering what happened to that my post.
Eleven years ago, I was part of the team that built the very first inter-bank e-purse scheme. In this country, not in fiction-land.
When it comes to e-commerce in Nigeria, I am an insider in the very sense of the word. Which e-commerce websites have you built, that nobody knows anything about? We've got lots of aspiring ecommerce sites, you must have built a few of them. But we're talking card payment systems here. Since I never heard of you, and I know everybody who is anybody in Interswitch, e-Tranzanct, Chams, NCR, or any of the financial institutions that has anything to do with ebanking or ecommerce, then you must not be playing in that field. And I do not brag; no need to, brother. I have been around.

My disagreement with your post is this: ATM fraud in Nigeria today has two sources: insider fraud, where bank employees move money around between their bank float and unsuspecting customers' accounts, and phishing, which is those emails and phoney Interswitch websites.
That the WebPay plugin doesn't ask you for your address does not mean it is not secure. Foreign merchant sites, were some people even call you and ask for your card details over the phone, are in my professional judgement a lot less secure. Period.
Re: Nigeria: Power Crisis And Prosperity by Afam(m): 11:37pm On Nov 04, 2009
The 2 problems you listed I believe were mentioned in the article and unless you are hell bent on twisting issues they are very clear.

I don't need to work with the banks or the payment gateway providers to understand what it takes to build a secure transaction channel because I go beyond what is usually obvious as I am well aware of the guiding principles, standards and protocols guiding e-commerce including credit card payments.

By the way being an "insider" (as claimed by you) should give you better understanding of the working of the ATM and allow you to accept criticisms that are logical which is supposed to enable you provide better services for the customers.

I will ignore the part about listing the e-commerce websites I have setup as I am not allowed to do so based on non disclosure agreements so you won't be getting any names from me.

This is the typical problem with Nigerians, you punch your keyboards without thinking through just because you are in a hurry to criticize.

For all the noise and claims you made you ended up listing 2 out of the problems I listed and you insist that they are the only problems while leaving it the area you may have been involved in - typical Nigerian, blames every other person but himself/herself.

The content below was written by you barely 3 months ago. Why would a well implemented card payment system be in place and even mastercards and visa cards domiciled in Nigeria can't be used outside?

Nigeria is in a sorry state because people like you want to think for others instead of providing factual information and letting the reading public comprehend the facts provided.

119 Forums / Career / Re: Welcome To My Office on: August 10, 2009, 05:11 PM
How una dey, my people?
Me I am just lying low till weekend, when I zap out on vacation. Regarding office work I'm basically on autopilot, nothing dey happen this week!.

Na wa for online payment in this country sha. Dem just dey reject payments from Nigeria-domiciled Mastercard/Visa cards, left right and center. I wonder the point of getting these cards if you can't even use them outside the country. I've had a few nasty experiences in the last couple of days: monies deducted and transactions frozen, airlines/train bookings made and cancelled, once they discover the card used is from naija, wire transfers hanging between banks anywhere from Lagos to London. I just tire.

Oh, and were we once blasting Nigerians on Nairaland wrt poor customer service? I take it all back. When you call these online travel agents etc, they are so daft and so rude it is unbelievable. 'Specially once they hear one is calling from Africa. An online travel agent took my cash, cancelled the transaction cos it was coming from naija, and rudely informed me that I would get my money back whenever. Meanwhile I called the Lagos office of a global airline to correct a mistake I made with my son's name, and they did it without any surcharge!
Omo, let's love ourselves in Naija, cos guaranteed, the rest of the world hates us.

You should be bold enough to accept responsibility of what you know and what you don't know. There is an on-going Class suit based on ATM card frauds. Nigerians are losing their money everyday without understanding why. Cards are being cloned and used to access accounts and you tell me there is nothing unsafe about that?

I implore you to understand the technology and see how easy it is to mitigate against the current problems instead of trying to defend the indefensible.

By the way I am not upset. I have come across people who brag like you even when they may never know as much as they claim to know in reality.
Re: Nigeria: Power Crisis And Prosperity by AjanleKoko: 8:51am On Nov 05, 2009
@Afam,

That post you quoted, did you read it through before you decided to quote it? The transaction did go through; it was reversed when they found out the issuing address was from Nigeria. But the transaction went through.
Besides, your article talked about card payment systems from Nigeria. As I have said more than once, the bulk of ATM card fraud is not even tied to the card at all; it's insider fraud from the banks. It's technically impossible, for example, to withdraw 1 million naira from an ATM in one day. But that is what has happened to a lot of these customers. Then, the other; some customers unknowingly give up their card details on phoney websites. That's more particular to Interswitch.

Regarding security, any card can be cloned, whether mag-stripe, or EMV-Compliant Chipcards. You can even learn how to clone a card on the Internet. But it's not about the card. In Nigeria, ATMs work within closed networks, between the banks, ATMs and the card issuer or switch. User data can only be phished or stolen by insiders. Which is where your article went south, by citing address verification etc as an indication of lack of secure environment. I'm sure you know people who work in financial institutions. Why not discuss with them?

And that's an awfully long response to my comments about your article. Why not stay with the article, and steer clear of attacks on my persona (who you don't know anyway). I find it's a common trait with Nairaland users to dig up comments made by perceived protagonists, and try to twist them out of context. You wouldn't be the first to do that to me here, so enjoy the game. For me, I have no idea who you are, we have obviously never met professionally, as your name doesn't ring a bell.
Re: Nigeria: Power Crisis And Prosperity by Vavavoom(m): 8:52am On Nov 05, 2009
Afam:

The 2 problems you listed I believe were mentioned in the article and unless you are hell bent on twisting issues they are very clear.

I don't need to work with the banks or the payment gateway providers to understand what it takes to build a secure transaction channel because I go beyond what is usually obvious as I am well aware of the guiding principles, standards and protocols guiding e-commerce including credit card payments.

By the way being an "insider" (as claimed by you) should give you better understanding of the working of the ATM and allow you to accept criticisms that are logical which is supposed to enable you provide better services for the customers.

I will ignore the part about listing the e-commerce websites I have setup as I am not allowed to do so based on non disclosure agreements so you won't be getting any names from me.

This is the typical problem with Nigerians, you punch your keyboards without thinking through just because you are in a hurry to criticize.

For all the noise and claims you made you ended up listing 2 out of the problems I listed and you insist that they are the only problems while leaving it the area you may have been involved in - typical Nigerian, blames every other person but himself/herself.

The content below was written by you barely 3 months ago. Why would a well implemented card payment system be in place and even mastercards and visa cards domiciled in Nigeria can't be used outside?

Nigeria is in a sorry state because people like you want to think for others instead of providing factual information and letting the reading public comprehend the facts provided.

You should be bold enough to accept responsibility of what you know and what you don't know. There is an on-going Class suit based on ATM card frauds. Nigerians are losing their money everyday without understanding why. Cards are being cloned and used to access accounts and you tell me there is nothing unsafe about that?

I implore you to understand the technology and see how easy it is to mitigate against the current problems instead of trying to defend the indefensible.

By the way I am not upset. I have come across people who brag like you even when they may never know as much as they claim to know in reality.

AjanleKoko:

@Afam,
I read your post on Technology Times.
Your knowledge of card technology, ATMs, and eCommerce, at best is elementary grin cheesy
Won't delve into the details on Nairaland though.

I did sense it too, very elementary indeed!
Re: Nigeria: Power Crisis And Prosperity by Quietrager: 9:10am On Nov 05, 2009
Problem Has Changed Name but the fact remains - Power is the Key to it all!
Re: Nigeria: Power Crisis And Prosperity by Afam(m): 10:16am On Nov 05, 2009
AjanleKoko:

@Afam,

That post you quoted, did you read it through before you decided to quote it? The transaction did go through; it was reversed when they found out the issuing address was from Nigeria. But the transaction went through.
Besides, your article talked about card payment systems from Nigeria. As I have said more than once, the bulk of ATM card fraud is not even tied to the card at all; it's insider fraud from the banks. It's technically impossible, for example, to withdraw 1 million naira from an ATM in one day. But that is what has happened to a lot of these customers. Then, the other; some customers unknowingly give up their card details on phoney websites. That's more particular to Interswitch.

Regarding security, any card can be cloned, whether mag-stripe, or EMV-Compliant Chipcards. You can even learn how to clone a card on the Internet. But it's not about the card. In Nigeria, ATMs work within closed networks, between the banks, ATMs and the card issuer or switch. User data can only be phished or stolen by insiders. Which is where your article went south, by citing address verification etc as an indication of lack of secure environment. I'm sure you know people who work in financial institutions. Why not discuss with them?

And that's an awfully long response to my comments about your article. Why not stay with the article, and steer clear of attacks on my persona (who you don't know anyway). I find it's a common trait with Nairaland users to dig up comments made by perceived protagonists, and try to twist them out of context. You wouldn't be the first to do that to me here, so enjoy the game. For me, I have no idea who you are, we have obviously never met professionally, as your name doesn't ring a bell.

It is obvious you are definitely not understanding the issue. When in doubt ask questions.

You believe the insiders in the banks are responsible for ATM card fraud and you believe phishing sites are the second problem.

This may be convenient to you because you are interested in limiting what you know to what you were presented or asked to work on.

I am talking about how to mitigate against the sharp practices. If you could pay attention to details then you would understand why address verification for online transactions will reduce the incidence of ATM card fraud.

There are documented instances of web based withdrawals running into over N500,000.00. I know of one so this is not about may be. Would the person have been able to do this is all he had were card number, pin number and expiry date if the system required address verification?

I am not surprised at your take because you come across as someone who is intellectually stubborn and believes he understands everything.

Yes, I normally check comments of people I disagree with so as to understand the level of intelligence and comprehension. You don't expect me to argue issues with everyone that comes around as doing so may be a waste of time if the person cannot comprehend basic issues.

The content below was from your posts and I am happy other intelligent people told you to your face what your problems were.

539   Forums / Career / Re: Engineering Vs Medicine "which Is More Challenging?" on: February 17, 2009, 10:44 PM
E be like say this yarn pain these pickins ooo!!!! in fact I be real agbaya sha,

Quote from: oyb on February 17, 2009, 04:30 PM
and the guy claims to be a big oga at a telecomms company

perhaps its the roadside techniciansat his company that are designing the fibre optic backbone for the networks ( i no be telecom guy oh in case i got the terminology wrong )

Quote from: debosky on February 17, 2009, 03:46 PM
How can someone who is sane and claims to be an engineer say

This is sheer idiocy at it's highest level, not to talk of blatant stupidity.

Have you not heard of mandatory continuous professional development (CPD)? There is NO field of learning or endeavour that can remove itself from lifelong learning.

If you said YOUR practice of engineering is 'just applications' then I would understand. Sadly you have shown you have no grasp or any meaningful understanding of what engineering involves. Please keep your ignorance to yourself.

Quote from: oyb on February 17, 2009, 03:24 PM
please, you are obviously another of the frauds that runs around nairaland spouting rubbish . bloody secondary school leaver coming to misyarn

you claim to have been an engineer for ten years, that means you have not learnt anything new in those ten years? what are you - retarded?

you say engineer contract work out to road side technicians. no engineer would talk like that - unless of course, you are one of those 'engineers'(drafter, technician, roadside electrician)

the funniest thing is that so much of what you are blathering abouit is based on TV shows- entertainment TV shows - maybe if you watched more extreme engineering on discovery channel

go here dumb olodo

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-108071.64.html

Young ones,
Make una take am easy. But thanks for all the hailing. Finally I don get some popularity for this forum.
E se gaan. But come o. Una dey pay to post? This una raking too serious o. At least, I be secondary school leaver, marketer, or roadside engineer. Una no fit leave me be? Why kicking a bruda when he down? awwww,

Cheers guys. Make una no vex, I take God beg una.     

And yet you claim to have 11 years experience even when you sat for a basic corpers interview in 1998 and claimed to have abandoned youth service to get a job somewhere?

In an organised setting you won't even have to opportunity to wear any organisation's ID card.

I don't have patience for people who do not know and would not be bold enough to accept such fact.
Re: Nigeria: Power Crisis And Prosperity by Afam(m): 10:47am On Nov 05, 2009
Vavavoom:

I did sense it too, very elementary indeed!

It seems I touched on something that hurt you real bad.

You are confused -

You agreed with my take on inverter backup (as being cheaper than running generator) but claimed the initial capital outlay is high and yet you want us to believe that there is no cost effective solution for your items.

You are a hypocrite - You replaced your bulbs with energy saving bulbs (according to you) but claim that talk about energy efficiency program is nonsense.

You have ego problem - You want me to help advice on energy efficient alternatives for your items and inverter backup but pride would not allow you ask as any reasonable person would.

Conclusion - You are simply too daft for me to engage you in any issue based on technology.
Re: Nigeria: Power Crisis And Prosperity by MrCrackles(m): 11:07am On Nov 05, 2009
Chei wetin una dey turn this thread into naw angry
Re: Nigeria: Power Crisis And Prosperity by Afam(m): 11:11am On Nov 05, 2009
MrCrackles:

Chei wetin una dey turn this thread into naw angry

I am really sorry for this but one thing I will always do is respond to posts in kind. The idea of ignoring people who throw insults or try to question other peoples credibility don't seem the best to me as failure to address issues may lead to misunderstandings.

I have never insulted anyone and will not do so but when and if insulted just because I hold a different view by anyone I will always respond in kind and on time too.
Re: Nigeria: Power Crisis And Prosperity by MrCrackles(m): 11:16am On Nov 05, 2009
Afam:

I am really sorry for this but one thing I will always do is respond to posts in kind. The idea of ignoring people who throw insults or try to question other peoples credibility don't seem the best to me as failure to address issues may lead to misunderstandings.

I have never insulted anyone and will not do so but when and if insulted just because I hold a different view by anyone I will always respond in kind and on time too.
I get your point. . .
Be easy boss!!!
Re: Nigeria: Power Crisis And Prosperity by AjanleKoko: 11:30am On Nov 05, 2009
Afam:

It is obvious you are definitely not understanding the issue. When in doubt ask questions.

You believe the insiders in the banks are responsible for ATM card fraud and you believe phishing sites are the second problem.

This may be convenient to you because you are interested in limiting what you know to what you were presented or asked to work on.

I am talking about how to mitigate against the sharp practices. If you could pay attention to details then you would understand why address verification for online transactions will reduce the incidence of ATM card fraud.

There are documented instances of web based withdrawals running into over N500,000.00. I know of one so this is not about may be. Would the person have been able to do this is all he had were card number, pin number and expiry date if the system required address verification?

I am not surprised at your take because you come across as someone who is intellectually stubborn and believes he understands everything.

Yes, I normally check comments of people I disagree with so as to understand the level of intelligence and comprehension. You don't expect me to argue issues with everyone that comes around as doing so may be a waste of time if the person cannot comprehend basic issues.

The content below was from your posts and I am happy other intelligent people told you to your face what your problems were.

Young ones,
Make una take am easy. But thanks for all the hailing. Finally I don get some popularity for this forum.
E se gaan. But come o. Una dey pay to post? This una raking too serious o. At least, I be secondary school leaver, marketer, or roadside engineer. Una no fit leave me be? Why kicking a bruda when he down? awwww,

Cheers guys. Make una no vex, I take God beg una.

And yet you claim to have 11 years experience even when you sat for a basic corpers interview in 1998 and claimed to have abandoned youth service to get a job somewhere?

In an organised setting you won't even have to opportunity to wear any organisation's ID card.

I don't have patience for people who do not know and would not be bold enough to accept such fact.

I'm would rather ignore all your insults, and still focus on your article.
What do you mean by web-based withdrawal? Are you aware that banks impose a limit on Internet and POS transactions, same as ATM?
What stops me as an insider from tagging a fictitious transaction with an indicator that it was done via the web, via POS, or from an ATM? Right here on Nairaland, someone posted a link to a story of ATM fraud in Kogi state, where a bank insider debited his branch float and credited the ATM float, and went around withdrawing the money from various ATMs. Logically the accounts would balance, but the fraud will eventually be noticed during a reconciliation exercise. That's whyit is impossible for you to withdraw physically 1 million in one day from any ATM, or group of ATMs.

And regarding your forensic exercises of digging through my posts. . . most of those people who made all those comments, maybe you have neglected to dig deeper and read their indirect apologies for all those comments. Comments that were made, just like you're making all manner of comments just because someone challenged your article. But because this is a web forum and you don't know who I am, you're free to rant and rail as it pleases you, as it doesn't take anything away from me.

And what's this about 'intelligent people'? On a web forum? Are you a child?
Re: Nigeria: Power Crisis And Prosperity by Afam(m): 11:50am On Nov 05, 2009
AjanleKoko:

I'm would rather ignore all your insults, and still focus on your article.
What do you mean by web-based withdrawal? Are you aware that banks impose a limit on Internet and POS transactions, same as ATM?
What stops me as an insider from tagging a fictitious transaction with an indicator that it was done via the web, via POS, or from an ATM? Right here on Nairaland, someone posted a link to a story of ATM fraud in Kogi state, where a bank insider debited his branch float and credited the ATM float, and went around withdrawing the money from various ATMs. Logically the accounts would balance, but the fraud will eventually be noticed during a reconciliation exercise. That's whyit is impossible for you to withdraw physically 1 million in one day from any ATM, or group of ATMs.

And regarding your forensic exercises of digging through my posts. . . most of those people who made all those comments, maybe you have neglected to dig deeper and read their indirect apologies for all those comments. Comments that were made, just like you're making all manner of comments just because someone challenged your article. But because this is a web forum and you don't know who I am, you're free to rant and rail as it pleases you, as it doesn't take anything away from me.

And what's this about 'intelligent people'? On a web forum? Are you a child?

1. The insider angle you are harping on remains one out of many reasons for the ATM card fraud so no need repeating the obvious. I stated that much in the article so don't make it sound like you are bringing up something new.

2. You are desperate to shift all the blame to the banks and none to the current technology and implementation of the technology. This is embarrassing for an engineer who should always challenge technology and make it better, safer and cost effective. It seems we are on 2 parallel lines here as it is obvious you don't understand my position due to your own mindset.

3. I am currently doing some email correspondences with a client and the bank handling the payment gateway implementation. Basic programming knowledge is lacking on the part of both the bank and the payment gateway provider and I have been able to demonstrate (with proof and evidence) where the problem is just because they are finding it difficult to change a return parameter to something the program wants instead of generating new transaction ids as regards the default implementation.

So, don't even go there as I have my hands full on implementation of technologies from software programming to e-commerce solutions with 100% flexibility in the codes and features requested.

I have had to discuss with and help develop security based software for people that were even FBI trained so while I don't intend to give you my CV I must tell you that I never dabble into what I don't have a good understanding about.
Re: Nigeria: Power Crisis And Prosperity by Vavavoom(m): 11:51am On Nov 05, 2009
Afam:

It seems I touched on something that hurt you real bad.

You are confused -

You agreed with my take on inverter backup (as being cheaper than running generator) but claimed the initial capital outlay is high and yet you want us to believe that there is no cost effective solution for your items.

You are a hypocrite - You replaced your bulbs with energy saving bulbs (according to you) but claim that talk about energy efficiency program is nonsense.

You have ego problem - You want me to help advice on energy efficient alternatives for your items and inverter backup but pride would not allow you ask as any reasonable person would.

Conclusion - You are simply too daft for me to engage you in any issue based on technology.

And it took you how many post to discover that am all that? Like Ajankekoko said, áttacking another's persona is your favourite pastime, carry on. I hardly have come across anyone without an ego, oh! Except of course mr. facts, AFAM-you. It wil help if you can trace the ''e'' section of your dictionary and try to find the meaning of the word before using it, especially for someone who claims to walk other people out of his.
You are at best intriguing. You spent more than required post to call me all manner of names, yet in all of that time can not put up a your so-called energy solution program for me to analyse if it is worth the trouble of engaging your mind. So sad sad

Mr, Afam, I have no qualms with you as a person, why should I? Hardly know you smiley Abeg free me tongue

Please no need to misrepresent me,''there is no cost effective solution for your items''. Never said any such thing only your perception, and that Mr. Facts is not reality. Engineering is not about fancy words nor phrases otherwise space shuttles program wouldn't take years to build. I question the viability of the inverter system based on the absent buying power of the most people who'd need it. It is common knowledge that in the long run the installed capacity will break even for any such size system installed, but how many of the poor in Nigeria can afford to set up solar-panelled system requiring a huge capital outlay for a start? To make matters easy so that we have a guide, I posted some of my items in my home so that we have something to work with and sought to knowplus my ego o! grin practically how best an expert like you would go around my problemat least na wetin NL dey offer us cheesy, you then gave an example with energy bulbs and made an assertion that 50% of my energy requirments would be saved ifwonderful practical solution replaced all my energy hungry loadsanother capital intensive outlay lmao, when i dey try to talk say big money will be required to set up an inverter system convinient for my comfort grin. A case of house dey burn pour more fuel! grin.

Anyway, having listened to your diatribes and jibesAjanlekoko have you covered thorougly when it comes to your knowledge width. abeg free me wink
Re: Nigeria: Power Crisis And Prosperity by Vavavoom(m): 12:14pm On Nov 05, 2009
Afam:

I am really sorry for this but one thing I will always do is respond to posts in kind. [The idea of ignoring people who throw insults or try to question other peoples credibility don't seem the best to me /b]as failure to address issues may lead to misunderstandings.

I have [b]never insulted anyonei guess calling people ''daft'' who you happen to disagree with is not insulting shocked [/b]and will not do so but when and if insulted just because I hold a different view by anyone I will always respond in kind and on time too.

[b]Ego
: '' your sense of your own value and importance, "psychologically. it is also the part of the mind that is responsible for your sense of who you are, hmmm!
Re: Nigeria: Power Crisis And Prosperity by Afam(m): 12:17pm On Nov 05, 2009
Keep shifting the goal post. From no cost effective solution to solar panels and the inability of Nigerians to pay for the inverter system even though you agree it is cheaper than running generator. Learn to be consistent.

I never talked about solar panel so it may be you that is not at home with reality.

I have never used a generator in my office for over 5 years - this is practical, not buzzword or marketing gimmick or even false claims.

I hardly use a generator at home - this is practical.

I provide information to people and write articles to push the same information out anything I get too many questions on any issue concerning alternative energy. So, I don't have any problems providing answers at all but not to people who would label your comments as nonsense and yet expect you to help them provide answers they desperately need.

It is rather disturbing that you fail to understand what cost effectiveness means, for the benefit of others I will delve into it so as to get you out of your ignorance.

If you have N10.00 worth of items and need N90.00 to provide power using generator for say 5 years then your total cost will be put at N100.00.

If you have to spend N20.00 to replace your items that would crash your energy need which in turn would require a must lower capacity generator or inverter backup for say N40.00 then in the same amount of time you would have spent N60.00 as against N100.00 and that represents at least 40% reduction in cost.

I still maintain that the average educated Nigeria lacks what it takes to analyze issues without unnecessary sentiments. Add intellectual stubbornness to the equation and you get complete disaster.

Handle your inconsistencies and leave the other guy alone because he has enough on his hands as his confusion is coming to the fore for all to see. Not that I expect you to understand anyway.
Re: Nigeria: Power Crisis And Prosperity by Afam(m): 12:21pm On Nov 05, 2009
Vavavoom:

Ego: '' your sense of your own value and importance, "psychologically. it is also the part of the mind that is responsible for your sense of who you are, hmmm!

As predicted the guilty will always go down the same route - initiate insults and when responded to in kind begin to complain.

This is one claim that no one can dispute about my comments and disagreements with people.

Why would I turn to insults when I have things to say to back up my positions?

Only those that run out of ideas resort to insults when losing out in any argument.

However, the right to respond to any insult in kind is a fundamental right which I intend to exercise till tomorrow so that idiots like you who think you can insult people just to hide your ignorance would be put where they belong.
Re: Nigeria: Power Crisis And Prosperity by Vavavoom(m): 1:06pm On Nov 05, 2009
Afam:

As predicted the guilty will always go down the same route - initiate insults and when responded to in kind begin to complain.

This is one claim that no one can dispute about my comments and disagreements with people.

Why would I turn to insults when I have things to say to back up my positions?

Only those that run out of ideas resort to insults when[b] losing out [/b]in any argument.

However, the right to respond to any insult in kind is a fundamental right which I intend to exercise till tomorrow so that idiots like you who think you can insult people just to hide your ignorance would be put where they belong.

The guilty, in your court and by whose judgement?
I hardly have insulted you, at best been sarcastic grin While alternative energy is good and pays for itself in the long runin a country alien to manufacturing and producing save oil What you are advocating makes relatively little economic senseblabbing to the many poor in Nigeria who look for the little 300-750 Naira to refuel their ''I pass my neighbour'' and keep a shade of light at night. For any one to totally rid themselves of PHCN and instal required inverter-solar panel-cum battery system will require huge capital outlay. That's why I advocated for banks to come in and make it work by offering monthly EMIs so that chaps can dopss, pay small small without bearing the huge capital brunt.

And you think it's all about winning an arguement? kai! cheesy
Pls, Judge Afam, free me abeg wink grin
Re: Nigeria: Power Crisis And Prosperity by Afam(m): 1:26pm On Nov 05, 2009
Vavavoom:

The guilty, in your court and by whose judgement?
I hardly have insulted you, at best been sarcastic grin While alternative energy is good and pays for itself in the long runin a country alien to manufacturing and producing save oil  What you are advocating makes relatively little economic senseblabbing to the many poor in Nigeria who look for the little 300-750 Naira to refuel their ''I pass my neighbour'' and keep a shade of light at night. For any one to totally rid themselves of PHCN and instal required inverter-solar panel-cum battery system will require huge capital outlay. That's why I advocated for banks to come in and make it work by offering monthly EMIs so that chaps can dopss, pay small small without bearing the huge capital brunt.

And you think it's all about winning an arguement? kai! cheesy
Pls, Judge Afam, free me abeg wink grin

Who is talking of ridding one's self from PHCN? Did I ever make a statement like that? It seems you have finally gone round the bend and you keep manufacturing one lie after another.

The same way someone who buys a bag of pure water will spend less when compared to another that buys the same number of sachets that you have in a bag one at a time.

Don't go far with your manufacturing of lies, stick to the facts stated.

I develop software and bought the same small generator (I pass my neighbor) for N13,500.00 in 2003 and after one year I did an estimate of the cost of running that generator and it came to about N125,000.00 and this is even an office.

In 5 years, I would have spent about N1M because the cost of fuel has changed from what it used to be in 2003 now.

However, I chose to go the alternative energy route and even though I had to start with a regular trailer battery (because I didn't have enough information on the suitability or otherwise in backup systems) the total cost of the inverter and the new battery bank is still less than N200,000.00.

This comes to about N40,000.00 per year and could go to about just N20,000.00 per year if the battery bank remains ok in the coming years.

You cannot eat you cake and have it. Of course, buying a N13,500.00 generator seems cheaper to any inverter let alone the battery but I am a practical person. I am not interested in sentiments as I have respect for facts, hard facts.

You may raise the issue of the banks financing anything with banks as I don't own nor run any.
Re: Nigeria: Power Crisis And Prosperity by Vavavoom(m): 1:59pm On Nov 05, 2009
Afam:

Who is talking of ridding one's self from PHCN? Did I ever make a statement like that? It seems you have finally gone round the bend and you keep manufacturing one lie after another.

The same way someone who buys a bag of pure water will spend less when compared to another that buys the same number of sachets that you have in a bag one at a time.

Don't go far with your manufacturing of lies, stick to the facts stated.

I develop software and bought the same small generator (I pass my neighbor) for N13,500.00 in 2003 and after one year I did an estimate of the cost of running that generator and it came to about N125,000.00 and this is even an office.

In 5 years, I would have spent about N1M because the cost of fuel has changed from what it used to be in 2003 now.

However, I chose to go the alternative energy route and even though I had to start with a regular trailer battery (because I didn't have enough information on the suitability or otherwise in backup systems) the total cost of the inverter and the new battery bank is still less than N200,000.00.

This comes to about N40,000.00 per year and could go to about just N20,000.00 per year if the battery bank remains ok in the coming years.

You cannot eat you cake and have it. Of course, buying a N13,500.00 generator seems cheaper to any inverter let alone the battery but I am a practical person. I am not interested in sentiments as I have respect for facts, hard facts.

You may raise the issue of the banks financing anything with banks as I don't own nor run any.

No offense, my home energy needs are greater than the only-inverter and roadside battery solution you have profered. I can't imagine not being able to recharge my batteries beacuse PHCN is out for some days and I am left handicapped by the non-installation of solar panels nor a gen set to ease up charging. Thank you for all the trouble, I prefer a full-option service that's why I listed my home items so we could be practical instead of theorizing with pure water satchet and helical energy bulbs.
Re: Nigeria: Power Crisis And Prosperity by Afam(m): 2:07pm On Nov 05, 2009
Vavavoom:

No offense, my home energy needs are greater than the only-inverter and roadside battery solution you have profered. I can't imagine not being able to recharge my batteries beacuse PHCN is out for some days and I am left handicapped by the non-installation of solar panels nor a gen set to ease up charging. Thank you for all the trouble, I prefer a full-option service that's why I listed my home items so we could be practical instead of theorizing with pure water satchet and helical energy bulbs.

It seems you have what I call a comprehension limited problem? Who is suggesting a solution to you? Keep deluding yourself unless of course the total value of your items is N10.00 as used in the example. You should be capable of understanding basic issues instead of hiding under the banner of the example does not apply to you because I have made it clear that I am not interesting in providing the answers you are desperate to get.

Thanks for raising other issues now that common sense has prevailed on issues you have been confusing yourself with. However, I won't be responding to them considering the fact that you don't deserve to know the answers.
Re: Nigeria: Power Crisis And Prosperity by Vavavoom(m): 2:44pm On Nov 05, 2009
Afam:

It seems you have what I call a comprehension limited problem? Who is suggesting a solution to you? Keep deluding yourself unless of course the total value of your items is N10.00 as used in the example. You should be capable of understanding basic issues instead of hiding under the banner of the example does not apply to you because I have made it clear that I am not interesting in providing the answers you are desperate to get.

Thanks for raising other issues now that common sense has prevailed on issues you have been confusing yourself with. However, I won't be responding to them considering the fact that you don't deserve to know the answers.

No, I don't. You are not suggesting cos you have none tongue Only generic theories, common sense knowledge and roadsideikoku solution. So you should know, materials on alternative energy and its applicability are prepondorant, all over the internet and at a snap. Currently have someone installing a safe-mode switch system that can shut out my ''power hungry loads''tanx for this term sha grin when PHCN goes out while keeping the manageable loads afloat. My discussion with you was to see if you could profer a better option than am currently installingapparently not sad. Oh by the way my batteries are German3, 180Amps. All this is possible because I can afford it, the many 75%chappies/folks below the $1 mark can't. That is the crux of the matter, the many who need it for their saloons, shops, and petty trading businesses! You can keep your N10.00 analogy now, mr facts.
Re: Nigeria: Power Crisis And Prosperity by Afam(m): 3:07pm On Nov 05, 2009
Vavavoom:

No, I don't. You are not suggesting cos you have none tongue Only generic theories, common sense knowledge and roadsideikoku solution. So you should know, materials on alternative energy and its applicability are prepondorant, all over the internet and at a snap. Currently have someone installing a safe-mode switch system that can shut out my ''power hungry loads''tanx for this term sha grin when PHCN goes out while keeping the manageable loads afloat. My discussion with you was to see if you could profer a better option than am currently installingapparently not sad. Oh by the way my batteries are German3, 180Amps. All this is possible because I can afford it, the many 75%chappies/folks below the $1 mark can't. That is the crux of the matter, the many who need it for their saloons, shops, and petty trading businesses! You can keep your N10.00 analogy now, mr facts.

Thank God you have summoned the courage to ask the question. I have no business with your capability as regards being able to afford anything because as long as you cannot offer to pay hundreds of millions that I roundly rejected based on professional integrity what you think you have as regards money remains minute.

However, I will not be providing you with the answer you desperately need until you learn to ask questions like a normal human being.
Re: Nigeria: Power Crisis And Prosperity by Vavavoom(m): 3:35pm On Nov 05, 2009
Afam:

Thank God you have summoned the courage to ask the question. I have no business with your capability as regards being able to afford anything because as long as you cannot offer to pay [hundreds of millions that I roundly rejected based on professional integrity /b]what you think you have as regards money remains minute.

However, I will not be providing you with the answer you desperately need until you learn to ask questions like a normal human being.

See posturing grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin I am trying to imagine you with a personality[b]''you cannot offer to pay [b][hundreds of millions that I roundly rejected based on professional integrity''
after that statement cheesy. Am not interested in your percieved intergritybecome Afamophobic tongue, adds nothing to my human content neither value, if you like reject $10 billionna ur cup of coffee b dat. Just keep a handle on things bro, am sure you are worth the millions you reject wink
Re: Nigeria: Power Crisis And Prosperity by Vavavoom(m): 3:51pm On Nov 05, 2009
Afam:

Thank God you have summoned the courage to ask the question. I have no business with your capability as regards being able to afford anything because as long as you cannot offer to pay hundreds of millions that I roundly rejected based on professional integrity what you think you have as regards money remains minute.

Well, am not a rich man by any meansI no fit reject millions unless I get pass to pdp and hammer lol grin, and lol, there has never been need for any summon let alone courage to do so, maybe in your court[ :Dsub]after all you don find me guilty before from previous post[/sub]you frankly have delighted me long enough with your presence and it's heartnening to know your type exist in this country, .
Re: Nigeria: Power Crisis And Prosperity by Afam(m): 3:52pm On Nov 05, 2009
Enjoy the rest of the day.
Re: Nigeria: Power Crisis And Prosperity by yeswecan(m): 4:15pm On Nov 05, 2009
It glares that Power is inimical to out Prosperity.
Re: Nigeria: Power Crisis And Prosperity by AjanleKoko: 4:36pm On Nov 05, 2009
Afam:

I still maintain that the average educated Nigeria lacks what it takes to analyze issues without unnecessary sentiments. Add intellectual stubbornness to the equation and you get complete disaster.

Handle your inconsistencies and leave the other guy alone because he has enough on his hands as his confusion is coming to the fore for all to see. Not that I expect you to understand anyway.

It just came to me. You build web sites for a living!
Can't believe I've been arguing with a guy who builds websites for a living. You guys are all over Ikeja, man!
Keep on ranting and raving.
Re: Nigeria: Power Crisis And Prosperity by Fhemmmy: 4:45pm On Nov 05, 2009
AjanleKoko:

It just came to me. You build web sites for a living!
Can't believe I've been arguing with a guy who builds websites for a living. You guys are all over Ikeja, man!
Keep on ranting and raving.

So what are you trying to say, that someone building a website for a living has no brain?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Kaduna Refinery Dormant, Port Harcourt, Warri Producing Below 30% — NNPC / Atiku’s Desperation For Presidency By Adamu Mohammed / Live Debate On Fuel Subsidy Removal On Channels Tv At 8pm

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 167
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.