Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,762 members, 7,824,186 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 03:32 AM

11 Things The Bible Bans, But You Do Anyway - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / 11 Things The Bible Bans, But You Do Anyway (3268 Views)

RCCG Bans Long Beard At Weddings (Beard Gang Grooms And Groomsmen) / 12 Things The Bible Forbids But We Still Do And Consider Normal / Did God Command Genocide In The Bible ? This Will Shock You ! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

11 Things The Bible Bans, But You Do Anyway by hahn(m): 9:47pm On Nov 15, 2016
written by Sam Greenspan

Yesterday, I found myself in a discussion about the anti-abortion people. The reason: It's just incomprehensible to us that people get so zealous about that issue that they'll go as far as to murder doctors who perform abortions and bomb abortion clinics.

The conversation then took its natural turn to selective, self-serving interpretations of the Bible... finding a few verses that you can use to justify a position that lets you impose your morality on someone, and riding those verses hard and fast for the rest of your life.

So I thought it'd be a good time to find a bunch of stuff that the Bible bans... stuff that's a lot LESS convenient. Don't worry, though... just because I'm pointing it out, that doesn't mean you now have to follow it. It's a lot easier to keep discriminating against gay people for no particular reason than to stop eating bacon, after all.

Here are 11 things that are technically banned by the Bible. (All quotes are translations from the New American Standard Bible, but, because I'm actually trying to maintain serious journalistic integrity here, I cross-referenced several other translations to make sure I wasn't missing the point.)

Round haircuts. See you in Hell, Beatles... and/or kids with bowl cuts, surfer cuts or (my favorite) butt cuts. Leviticus 19:27 reads "You shall not round off the side-growth of your heads nor harm the edges of your beard."

Football. At least, the pure version of football, where you play with a pigskin. The modern synthetic footballs are ugly and slippery anyways. Leviticus 11:8, which is discussing pigs, reads "You shall not eat of their flesh nor touch their carcasses; they are unclean to you."

And you're doubly breaking that if you wake up, eat some sausage then go throw around the football. Or go to the county fair and enter a greased pig catching contest.

Fortune telling. Before you call a 900 number (do people still call 900 numbers, by the way?), read your horoscope or crack open a fortune cookie, realize you're in huge trouble if you do.

Leviticus 19:31 reads "Do not turn to mediums or spiritists; do not seek them out to be defiled by them. I am the Lord your God." The penalty for that? Check Leviticus 20:6: "As for the person who turns to mediums and to spiritists, to play the harlot after them, I will also set My face against that person and will cut him off from among his people."

Seems like a lifetime of exile is a pretty harsh penalty for talking to Zoltar.

Pulling out. The Bible doesn't get too much into birth control... it's clearly pro-populating but, back when it was written, no one really anticipated the condom or the sponge, so those don't get specific bans.

But... pulling out does. One of the most famous sexual-oriented Bible verses... the one that's used as anti-masturbation rhetoric... is actually anti-pulling out.

It's Genesis 38:9-10: "Onan knew that the offspring would not be his; so when he went in to his brother's wife, he wasted his seed on the ground in order not to give offspring to his brother. But what he did was displeasing in the sight of the Lord; so He took his life also."

Yep -- pull out and get smote. That's harsh.

Tattoos. No tattoos. Leviticus 19:28 reads, "You shall not make any cuts in your body for the dead nor make any tattoo marks on yourselves: I am the Lord."

Not even a little butterfly on your ankle. Or Thug Life across your abdomen. Or even, fittingly enough, a cross.

Polyester, or any other fabric blends. The Bible doesn't want you to wear polyester. Not just because it looks cheap. It's sinfully unnatural.

Leviticus 19:19 reads, "You are to keep My statutes. You shall not breed together two kinds of your cattle; you shall not sow your field with two kinds of seed, nor wear a garment upon you of two kinds of material mixed together."

Check the tag on your shirt right now. Didn't realize you were mid-sin at this exact second, did you? (Unless you checked the tag by rolling off your neighbor's wife while you two were having anal sex in the middle of robbing a blind guy. Then your Lycra-spandex blend is really the least of your problems.)

Divorce. The Bible is very clear on this one: No divorcing. You can't do it. Because when you marry someone, according to Mark 10:8, you "are no longer two, but one flesh." And, Mark 10:9 reads, "What therefore God has joined together, let no man separate."

Mark gets even more hardcore about it a few verses later, in Mark 10:11-12, "And He said to them, 'Whoever divorces his wife and marries another woman commits adultery against her; and if she herself divorces her husband and marries another man, she is committing adultery.'"

Letting people without testicles into church. Whether you've been castrated or lost one or two balls to cancer isn't important. The Bible doesn't get that specific. It just says you can't pray.

Deuteronomy 23:1 reads (this is the God's Word translation, which spells it out better), "A man whose testicles are crushed or whose penis is cut off may never join the assembly of the Lord."

Oh, and the next verse says that if you're a bastard, the child of a bastard... or even have a great-great-great-great-great-great-great-grandchild of a bastard, you can't come to church or synagogue either. Deuteronomy 23:2 reads, "No one of illegitimate birth shall enter the assembly of the Lord; none of his descendants, even to the tenth generation, shall enter the assembly of the Lord."

Wearing gold. 1 Timothy 2:9 doesn't like your gold necklace at all. Or your pearl necklace. Or any clothes you're wearing that you didn't get from Forever 21, Old Navy or H&M.

"Likewise, I want women to adorn themselves with proper clothing, modestly and discreetly, not with braided hair and gold or pearls or costly garments."

Shellfish. Leviticus 11:10 reads, "But whatever is in the seas and in the rivers that does not have fins and scales among all the teeming life of the water, and among all the living creatures that are in the water, they are detestable things to you." And shellfish is right in that wheelhouse.

Leviticus 11 bans a TON of animals from being eaten (it's THE basis for Kosher law); beyond shellfish and pig, it also says you can't eat camel, rock badger, rabbit, eagle, vulture, buzzard, falcon, raven, crow, ostrich, owl, seagull, hawk, pelican, stork, heron, bat, winged insects that walk on four legs unless they have joints to jump with like grasshoppers (?), bear, mole, mouse, lizard, gecko, crocodile, chameleon and snail.

Sorry if that totally ruins your plans to go to a rock badger eat-off this weekend.

Your wife defending your life in a fight by grabbing your attacker's genitals. No joke. Deuteronomy actually devotes two verses to this exact scenario: Deuteronomy 25:11-12.

"If two men, a man and his countryman, are struggling together, and the wife of one comes near to deliver her husband from the hand of the one who is striking him, and puts out her hand and seizes his genitals, then you shall cut off her hand; you shall not show pity."

That's impossible to misinterpret. Ladies, if your husband is getting mugged, make sure to kick the mugger in the pills. Do not do the grip and squeeze (no matter what "Miss Congeniality" might advise). Or your hand needs to be cut off.

As a final note, I know that nine of these 11 cite the Old Testament, which Christianity doesn't necessarily adhere to as law.

To which I say: If you're going to ignore the section of Leviticus that bans about tattoos, pork, shellfish, round haircuts, polyester and football, how can you possibly turn around and quote Leviticus 18:22 ("You shall not lie with a male as one lies with a female; it is an abomination."wink as irrefutable law?

But that's me trying to introduce logic to religious fanaticism (or, at least, trying to counter some mix of ignorance, bigotry and narcissism with logic). And I should probably know better.

Source: http://www.11points.com/Books/11_Things_The_Bible_Bans,_But_You_Do_Anyway

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 11 Things The Bible Bans, But You Do Anyway by abatisegun: 10:00pm On Nov 15, 2016
Over to u the bible schoolars
Re: 11 Things The Bible Bans, But You Do Anyway by 4kings: 10:05pm On Nov 15, 2016
hahn, Galatians 5:14, says "For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this; Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself"
Verse 18, says "if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the law"

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 11 Things The Bible Bans, But You Do Anyway by Nobody: 10:10pm On Nov 15, 2016
I PRAY GOD HAVE MERCY ON YOU AND FORGIVES YOU.
Re: 11 Things The Bible Bans, But You Do Anyway by mejai(m): 10:14pm On Nov 15, 2016
hmmn! buhari follow write d bible? too many bans
Re: 11 Things The Bible Bans, But You Do Anyway by hahn(m): 10:37pm On Nov 15, 2016
4kings:
hahn, Galatians 5:14, says "For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this; Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself"
Verse 18, says "if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the law"

Wait, wait. So, you mean as long as I am led by the spirit I do not need to love my neighbor as myself? undecided

Where is the spirit abeg? I need leading grin
Re: 11 Things The Bible Bans, But You Do Anyway by hahn(m): 10:37pm On Nov 15, 2016
Enochman:
I PRAY GOD HAVE MERCY ON YOU AND FORGIVES YOU.

For ....? undecided

1 Like

Re: 11 Things The Bible Bans, But You Do Anyway by Heavance(m): 10:40pm On Nov 15, 2016
Wait. I still don't get..... Is the op defending gay?
wait o, so I see girls with gorgeous body and then seem to be having a urge for a masculine guy like me? walahi, that means some wires have seriously been malfunctioning in my brain.
Even dogs don't go after their male partners, talk less of lions
Re: 11 Things The Bible Bans, But You Do Anyway by Edenoscar(m): 10:50pm On Nov 15, 2016
Heavance:
wait o, so I see girls with gorgeous body and then seem to be having a urge for a masculine guy like me? walahi, that means some wires have seriously been malfunctioning in my brain.

The point is cherry-picking

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 11 Things The Bible Bans, But You Do Anyway by KingEbukasBlog(m): 10:52pm On Nov 15, 2016
Judaism is like a culture and religion for the Jews The aforementioned was their culture thousands of years ago . And we are Christians- followers of Christ - and we are not subjected to obey those laws (though they are old fashioned anyway ) . This type of lifestyle was given to them by God (Yahweh )

Just like its the culture of some African tribes to wear a type haircut

And in some cultures in Africa , its forbidden to eat or kill snakes or do some certain things .

That's why atheist Jews can still practice Judaism as a culture : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jewish_atheism

Hahn and his usual ignorance of the issues he raises . grin

2 Likes

Re: 11 Things The Bible Bans, But You Do Anyway by hahn(m): 10:58pm On Nov 15, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:
Judaism is like a culture and religion for the Jews The aforementioned was their culture thousands of years ago . And we are Christians- followers of Christ - and we are not subjected to obey those laws (though they are old fashioned anyway ) . This type of lifestyle was given to them by God (Yahweh )

And in some cultures in Africa , its forbidden to eat or kill snakes or do some certain things .

That's why atheist Jews can still practice Judaism as a culture : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jewish_atheism

Lol. But the prophesy of a "savior" was in the old testament. Since that is part of Judaism and is laws for the jews, how does that concern you as an African? undecided

7 Likes

Re: 11 Things The Bible Bans, But You Do Anyway by hahn(m): 10:59pm On Nov 15, 2016
Edenoscar:

The point is cherry-picking

The read but cannot understand

Why do you think they believe things written in the bible? undecided

2 Likes

Re: 11 Things The Bible Bans, But You Do Anyway by hahn(m): 11:01pm On Nov 15, 2016
Heavance:

Read this part again

As a final note, I know that nine of these 11 cite the Old Testament, which Christianity doesn't necessarily adhere to as law.

To which I say: If you're going to ignore the section of Leviticus that bans about tattoos, pork, shellfish, round haircuts, polyester and football, how can you possibly turn around and quote Leviticus 18:22 ("You shall not lie with a male as one lies with a female; it is an abomination."wink as irrefutable law?

Slowly

4 Likes

Re: 11 Things The Bible Bans, But You Do Anyway by KingEbukasBlog(m): 11:05pm On Nov 15, 2016
hahn:

Lol. But the prophesy of a "savior" was in the old testament. Since that is part of Judaism and is laws for the jews, how does that concern you as an African? undecided

Am a follower of Christ not Judaism . Jesus being mentioned in the old testament does not mean Christians should follow Jewish tradition (Judaism )

So thread closed ?

Awww

You guys are lucky winner01 is not around - it would have been mortifying for you .

1 Like

Re: 11 Things The Bible Bans, But You Do Anyway by hahn(m): 11:09pm On Nov 15, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

Am a follower of Christ not Judaism . Jesus being mentioned in the old testament does not mean Christians should follow Jewish tradition (Judaism )

So thread closed ?

Awww

You guys are lucky winner01 is not around - it would have been mortifying for you .

Lol. You guys should tear the old testament out permanently then you will be taken serious. Cherry picking as usual.

How is winner01 anyways? I like that guy. Especially the fact that he loves Jehovah so much he only creates threads on atheism cheesy

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: 11 Things The Bible Bans, But You Do Anyway by KingEbukasBlog(m): 11:16pm On Nov 15, 2016
hahn:

Lol. You guys should tear the old testament out permanently then you will be taken serious. Cherry picking as usual.

Its not cherry picking . Its actually being cognizant of what pertains to Christianity and Judaism - what you religious skeptics are ignorant of .

How is winner01 anyways?

He is good

I like that guy.

me too

Especially the fact that he loves Jehovah so much he only creates threads on atheism cheesy

You create threads about a God that you claim does not exist and I'm not being querulous about it

1 Like

Re: 11 Things The Bible Bans, But You Do Anyway by Edenoscar(m): 11:17pm On Nov 15, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

Is the ten commandment or paying of tithe written in the new testament and since being a christian is all about christ and not judaism why read the OT at all,why follow the ten commandment,why do pastors quote and read verses that only talked about the isrealites and jews,infact why attach the OT to the new testament in the first place.
Re: 11 Things The Bible Bans, But You Do Anyway by KingEbukasBlog(m): 11:25pm On Nov 15, 2016
Edenoscar:

Is the ten commandment or paying of tithe written in the new testament and

KingEbukasBlog:

These are contentious issues for sure , but Christians still obey those laws because of the spiritual/financial benefits . Some Christians disagree though - that tithing and first fruit offerings should not be paid

KingEbukasBlog:

Christians who deprecate tithing and first fruit do so because they believe its part of the tradition of the Jews . Christians who still tithe and offer first fruits do so because of the spiritual/financial benefits - people have testimonies concerning this .

Edenoscar:
since being a christian is all about christ and not judaism why read the OT at all,why follow the ten commandment,why do pastors quote and read verses that only talked about the isrealites and jews,infact why attach the OT to the new testament in the first place.
KingEbukasBlog:

Its not cherry picking . Its actually being cognizant of what pertains to Christianity and Judaism - what you religious skeptics are ignorant of .
Re: 11 Things The Bible Bans, But You Do Anyway by HCpaul(m): 11:25pm On Nov 15, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:
Judaism is like a culture and religion for the Jews. The aforementioned was their culture thousands of years ago . And we are Christians- followers of Christ - and we are not subjected to obey those laws (though they are old fashioned anyway ) . This type of lifestyle was given to them by God (Yahweh )

Hahn and his usual ignorance of the issues he raises. grin

Must you always abuse people? Must you??
And you will still go ahead calling yourself a Christian when there are characters within you that has been negatively influenced. You abuse people whenever you ran out of reasonable points and arguments.

I won't abuse you but i have instead advised you.

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 11 Things The Bible Bans, But You Do Anyway by hahn(m): 11:27pm On Nov 15, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

He is good

me too

You create threads about a God that you claim does not exist and I'm not being querulous about it

I create threads against the "idea" of a savage, barbaric, incompetent and genocidal god as depicted by Christians and Muslims.

In fact, I feel that if there is a god, although there is no proof of it, but if there is a "God" then the description by Christians and Muslims are an embarrassment to the concept.

You can even say I am defending "God" grin

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: 11 Things The Bible Bans, But You Do Anyway by KingEbukasBlog(m): 11:29pm On Nov 15, 2016
HCpaul:

Must you always abuse people? Must you??
And you will still go ahead calling yourself a Christian when there are characters within you that has been negatively influenced. You abuse people whenever you ran out of reasonable points.

I won't abuse you but i have instead advised you.

I don't abuse out of anger or hate . Its more of having a persiflage . Hahn is a good friend of mine . All na play play

Who says I run out of points ? Me ? Run of points ? Hian !!! grin
Re: 11 Things The Bible Bans, But You Do Anyway by hahn(m): 11:30pm On Nov 15, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

I don't abuse out of anger or hate . Its more of having a persiflage . Hahn is a good friend of mine . All na play play

Who says I run out of points ? Me ? Run of points ? Hian !!! grin

Hcpaul, leave Bubu o. Na my guy. He is only doing what Jesus would have done as a true Christian cheesy grin

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: 11 Things The Bible Bans, But You Do Anyway by HCpaul(m): 11:37pm On Nov 15, 2016
hahn:

Hcpaul, leave Bubu o. Na my guy. He is only doing what Jesus would have done as a true Christian cheesy grin

Ok!!!! The guy even tried, at least he could control his temper a little bit and not like Jesus abusing and belittling people all around.

Am no longer surprised.

2 Likes

Re: 11 Things The Bible Bans, But You Do Anyway by 4kings: 12:06am On Nov 16, 2016
hahn:

I create threads against the "idea" of a savage, barbaric, incompetent and genocidal god as depicted by Christians and Muslims.

In fact, I feel that if there is a god, although there is no proof of it, but if there is a "God" then the description by Christians and Muslims are an embarrassment to the concept.

You can even say I am defending "God" grin
@bolded
What am i seeing?
Re: 11 Things The Bible Bans, But You Do Anyway by hahn(m): 12:10am On Nov 16, 2016
4kings:

@bolded
What am i seeing?

although there is no proof of it

This one? cheesy
Re: 11 Things The Bible Bans, But You Do Anyway by 4kings: 12:20am On Nov 16, 2016
hahn:

although there is no proof of it

This one? cheesy
Describe this "it"
Re: 11 Things The Bible Bans, But You Do Anyway by UncleSnr(m): 5:47am On Nov 16, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

You forgot that Jesus is a Jew, and he said that he haven't come to abolish the law but to uphold them. As a follower, you are meant to be Jewish, follow the laws.
Remember, his disciples were Jewish and they preached in the Jewish synagogue.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 11 Things The Bible Bans, But You Do Anyway by Immorttal: 5:57am On Nov 16, 2016
I will also set My face against that person and will cut him off from among his people." Mr Hahn. the cut him off part actually means death. the translations are trying hard to remove the barbaric and narcissistic part of Yahweh.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 11 Things The Bible Bans, But You Do Anyway by Immorttal: 6:03am On Nov 16, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

So thread closed ?

Awww

Mr Ebuka, where is winner01? i miss his arguments and threads oo
Re: 11 Things The Bible Bans, But You Do Anyway by jonbellion(m): 6:39am On Nov 16, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

So thread closed ?

Awww

then tear off the old testament
Lol that's like 75% of the bible sooo I guess you guys would feel bad ur holy book would the smallest out of the three Abrahamic religions.
you guys special plead tremendously for this old testament anyway
Just neglect the ten commandments. Afterall they were also given to the Jews same with Deuteronomy laws
Don't shun gays
Jesus wasn't explicit about them
The golden rule is the new thing now right
Christianity is basically like a parasite to Judaism sucking off the parts they like while damaging Jewish culture in the process(after all the Jews reject jesus Christ cuz he claimed to be God plus he hardly fulfilled the messianic prophecies...... And he died)
Abeg when Jesus said I'm in my fathers house was he in the church or the synaguoage?
Lol
Islam is like a parasite to both the religions.
Of course if The Old Testament were really so irrelevant, one would wonder why you guys even bother including it at all in your holy book, especially when it makes up about 75% of the said holy book. Not to mention the holy book isn't quite specific on which parts of it you can happily ignore. Then there's that part about jesus saying until heaven and earth pass away not one drop of the law would be invalid
But that's none of my business

1 Like

Re: 11 Things The Bible Bans, But You Do Anyway by Wilgrea7(m): 7:28am On Nov 16, 2016
Edenoscar:

Is the ten commandment or paying of tithe written in the new testament and since being a christian is all about christ and not judaism why read the OT at all,why follow the ten commandment,why do pastors quote and read verses that only talked about the isrealites and jews,infact why attach the OT to the new testament in the first place.

the ten commandments?? well... tithe, and the 9 of the things OP mentioned above were laws given by moses to solve certain problems.. for example, tithe was to help the strangers who passed by, the less privileged and the levites because they didn't have land. just like that for the things mentioned above.. although I'm not in support of tatoos.

concerning the ten commandments.. Jesus summed it up in two things
1. love the lord your God
2. love thy neighbor as thyself.

simple as that.. if you're obeying the two commandments listed above, you're obeying the 10 commandments

my opinion tho

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 11 Things The Bible Bans, But You Do Anyway by hahn(m): 9:49am On Nov 16, 2016
4kings:

Describe this "it"

A product of the imagination of savage and barbaric primitive goat herders

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

How Come We Did Not Hear Satan's Side Of The Story? / If There Is No Heaven Or Threat Of Hell, Will You Prefer Devil To God? / His Story - God's Story

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.