Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,410 members, 7,815,914 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:53 PM

Atheists And Agnostics How Do You Feel When You Remember This Hymn Verse - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Atheists And Agnostics How Do You Feel When You Remember This Hymn Verse (1041 Views)

How Do You Feel When You Fall Under The Anointing / Story Behind The Hymn, "When I Survey The Wondrous Cross" / Which Church Has The Best Hymn Songs (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Atheists And Agnostics How Do You Feel When You Remember This Hymn Verse by Nobody: 5:13pm On Nov 17, 2016
Wow, just today I was feeling the cool morning breeze when a hymn I used to sing in school back then when I was still in the christian faith popped up.
I can just remember few lines;
Oh Jesus I have promised to serve thee to the end
Be there for ever near me my master and my friend
I shall not fear the battle if thy are by my side.

I can't remember all, I loved this hymn back then. A part of the hymn said Oh speak to reassure me , and Jesus haven't spoken to me maybe because he don't exist anymore.

Well I left christianity and religion and I posted the reasons here on Nairaland.

Right now I don't accept things based on believe but on knowledge. I just want to play my part in making a better world.

How many of you sang this hymn?

1 Like

Re: Atheists And Agnostics How Do You Feel When You Remember This Hymn Verse by Sanchez01: 5:26pm On Nov 17, 2016
'O Jesus, I have promised
to serve thee to the end:
be thou ever near me,
my Master and my friend;
I shall not fear the battle
if thou art by my side,
nor wander from the pathway
if thou wilt be my guide
.'

It's pretty much interesting how you so called Atheists and Agnostics lose sleep over Christianity. Perhaps Christ didn't reassure you, or perhaps your ears are shut to listen to hear Him. It's safer for you guys to let Christianity be. I read on here how Seun tries night and day to doing the same you're doing now.

You claim not to remember the hymnal and could not properly write out the first verse, but you were quick to jump to the third verse to 'Oh speak to reassure me'. I have come to believe most of you have issues struggling within and seek acceptance for what you have become. Not like it is a bad thing, really. Everyone has the right to seek what he deems profitable, but I pretty much believe it is wiser and more defining of your newly found belief if you stop mocking Christianity, just you could prove a point you never made. Do have a nice day. Cheers smiley

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Atheists And Agnostics How Do You Feel When You Remember This Hymn Verse by Nobody: 5:38pm On Nov 17, 2016
Sanchez01:
be thou ever near me,
my Master and my friend;
if thou art by my side,
if thou wilt be my guide
.'

It's pretty much interesting how you so called Atheists and Agnostics lose sleep over Christianity. Perhaps Christ didn't reassure you, or perhaps your ears are shut to listen to hear Him. It's safer for you guys to let Christianity be. I read on here how Seun tries night and day to doing the same you're doing now.

You claim not to remember the hymnal and could not properly write out the first verse, but you were quick to jump to the third verse to 'Oh speak to reassure me'. I have come to believe most of you have issues struggling within and seek acceptance for what you have become. Not like it is a bad thing, really. Everyone has the right to seek what he deems profitable, but I pretty much believe it is wiser and more defining of your newly found belief if you stop mocking Christianity, just you could prove a point you never made. Do have a nice day. Cheers smiley

Wow, intresting conclusions there.

What if I tell you that some atheists do not actually hate christianity.

1 Like

Re: Atheists And Agnostics How Do You Feel When You Remember This Hymn Verse by Nobody: 5:40pm On Nov 17, 2016
Sanchez01:
be thou ever near me,
my Master and my friend;
if thou art by my side,
if thou wilt be my guide
.'

Where did I mock christianity?
I earlier said I didn't remember the verses all.
Re: Atheists And Agnostics How Do You Feel When You Remember This Hymn Verse by Sanchez01: 5:46pm On Nov 17, 2016
CeoMYN:

Where did I mock christianity?
I earlier said I didn't remember the verses all.

I can't remember all, I loved this hymn back then. A part of the hymn said Oh speak to reassure me , and Jesus haven't spoken to me maybe because he don't exist anymore.
Need I say more?

2 Likes

Re: Atheists And Agnostics How Do You Feel When You Remember This Hymn Verse by Nobody: 5:57pm On Nov 17, 2016
Sanchez01:

Need I say more?
Hope you saw maybe ?
Re: Atheists And Agnostics How Do You Feel When You Remember This Hymn Verse by Sanchez01: 5:57pm On Nov 17, 2016
SirWere:

Wow, intresting conclusions there.

What if I tell you that some atheists do not actually hate christianity.

Perhaps, some of them don't. The same pattern play out on most of them, and that is the fact that they tend to rub whatever it is they have come to accept off other people's faces. They were at some point 'gullible' and crass silly before they attained the status of God. I just see no reason why they won't just stay still and keep their wisdom to themselves. Laughing at what you term the folly of others is indeed not wisdom on one's part but foolishness.

As a Christian, I do not consider myself better than an Atheist or a Muslim. We have what we lean towards and we have our convictions and stick to them.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Atheists And Agnostics How Do You Feel When You Remember This Hymn Verse by Sanchez01: 6:02pm On Nov 17, 2016
CeoMYN:

Hope you saw maybe ?

MAYBE BECAUSE HE DON'T EXIST NO MORE. He cannot reassure you because He doesn't exist again, but He existed while you were still Christian. Funny, if you ask me.

Either way, I have nothing against you or your thread you guys have got to respect others, because one thing I know quite well is, there's no way atheists or agnostics would create threads or topics without causing it to revolve around other beliefs.

3 Likes

Re: Atheists And Agnostics How Do You Feel When You Remember This Hymn Verse by Nobody: 6:07pm On Nov 17, 2016
Sanchez01:

Perhaps, some of them don't. The same pattern play out on most of them, and that is the fact that they tend to rub whatever it is they have come to accept off other people's faces. They were at some point 'gullible' and crass silly before they attained the status of God. I just see no reason why they won't just stay still and keep their wisdom to themselves. Laughing at what you term the folly of others is indeed not wisdom on one's part but foolishness.

As a Christian, I do not consider myself better than an Atheist or a Muslim. We have what we lean towards and we have our convictions and stick to them.

I think you're making hasty generalizations.

Can you affirm that all atheists do this

No matter, this section is rife with hostile; unfriendly words being thrown........ From BOTH sides.

Those "atheists" which you speak of probably developed this attitude when faced with absurd convo, threats and basically BS from the other side.

Even with that; there are quite some atheists, on this section, who will readily and willingly accept a debate with no condensencon or insults.

Examples Johnydon22, donffd, you name it.
Re: Atheists And Agnostics How Do You Feel When You Remember This Hymn Verse by Nobody: 6:14pm On Nov 17, 2016
Sanchez01:

MAYBE BECAUSE HE DON'T EXIST NO MORE. He cannot reassure you because He doesn't exist again, but He existed while you were still Christian. Funny, if you ask me.

Either way, I have nothing against you or your thread you guys have got to respect others, because one thing I know quite well is, there's no way atheists or agnostics would create threads or topics without causing it to revolve around other beliefs.
Good thing you acknowledged the maybe .
Re: Atheists And Agnostics How Do You Feel When You Remember This Hymn Verse by Sanchez01: 6:15pm On Nov 17, 2016
SirWere:

I think you're making hasty generalizations.

Can you affirm that all atheists do this

No matter, this section is rife with hostile; unfriendly words being thrown........ From BOTH sides.

Those "atheists" which you speak of probably developed this attitude when faced with absurd convo, threats and basically BS from the other side.

Even with that; there are quite some atheists, on this section, who will readily and willingly accept a debate with no condensencon or insults.

Examples Johnydon22, donffd, you name it.
For some reasons, you seem not to get my points. Insult is one thing and rubbing or rubbishing people's beliefs on their faces is another. Trust me, I'm not making a hasty generalization here. I have silently observed most Atheists on here. Some create intelligent posts and arguments while some would readily beat down others who do not align with them.

Do a survey and grace through threads created by these folks. I need not tell you that you'd be amazed at the number of threads beating down both Islam and Christianity. For most of the Christians who exhibit attitude on here during engagements with them, it's all as a result of religiosity. Most religious Christians can't engage in intelligent arguments.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Atheists And Agnostics How Do You Feel When You Remember This Hymn Verse by Nobody: 6:26pm On Nov 17, 2016
Sanchez01:

For some reasons, you seem not to get my points. Insult is one thing and rubbing or rubbishing people's beliefs on their faces is another. Trust me, I'm not making a hasty generalization here. I have silently observed most Atheists on here. Some create intelligent posts and arguments while some would readily beat down others who do not align with them.

Do a survey and grace through threads created by these folks. I need not tell you that you'd be amazed at the number of threads beating down both Islam and Christianity. For most of the Christians who exhibit attitude on here during engagements with them, it's all as a result of religiosity. Most religious Christians can't engage in intelligent arguments.

Well......
Re: Atheists And Agnostics How Do You Feel When You Remember This Hymn Verse by Nobody: 8:40pm On Nov 17, 2016
I remember it and a lot more grin grin
I love Jesus
I love jesus
He's my friend
He's my friend

My teacher used to tell all of us to sing this everyday.
There is no difference between this and hypnotism.
I'm gald I broke free.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Atheists And Agnostics How Do You Feel When You Remember This Hymn Verse by bennyann: 8:20am On Nov 18, 2016
When your creator keeps speaking to you through your spirit to give you direction... .....

You will then ask, but Lord, when did you reveal yourself? Lord, when did you speak to me?

May God help us to please Him to the end.

To CeoMYN and Lennycool, why don't you see it from another perspective also. Like your creator reminding you of your promises to Him. I'm sure at a point in time, you sang those songs from the depth of your hearts and not just for singing sake.

I'm just thinking out loud. Who knows
Re: Atheists And Agnostics How Do You Feel When You Remember This Hymn Verse by Nobody: 9:49am On Nov 18, 2016
bennyann:
When your creator keeps speaking to you through your spirit to give you direction... .....

You will then ask, but Lord, when did you reveal yourself? Lord, when did you speak to me?

To CeoMYN and Lennycool, why don't you see it from another perspective also. Like your creator reminding you of your promises to Him. I'm sure at a point in time, you sang those songs from the depth of your hearts and not just for singing sake.

What makes you think the religion you're born into is the right one?
Just think about it.
If you were born 200 years ago in nigeria you would have been a traditional worshipper for sure.
In India you would be Hindu
In Greek a believer of Zeus
And in Iran Muslim.
It is a matter of sheer luck that you were born Christian. Yet you believe firmly that yours is the only true way to God.
Re: Atheists And Agnostics How Do You Feel When You Remember This Hymn Verse by bennyann: 11:05am On Nov 18, 2016
Lennycool:

What makes you think the religion you're born into is the right one?
Just think about it.
If you were born 200 years ago in nigeria you would have been a traditional worshipper for sure.
In India you would be Hindu
In Greek a believer of Zeus
And in Iran Muslim.
It is a matter of sheer luck that you were born Christian. Yet you believe firmly that yours is the only true way to God.

There is a difference between born into and deciding to remain or change because of a personal conviction.

We are no more babies so we don't talk about serendipity in issues like this, we rather talk about our decisions and personal convictions.

Besides, I don't remember telling you my religion is the right one. I only told you to see things from other perspective also. I only said out my thoughts.

But it's so amazing how you can easily voice out my beliefs. Kudos

Don't you believe you are also on the right path or you have mixed feelings?

And dear, it was out of love I said whatever I said and not for it to yield any form of arguments.

Thank you.
Re: Atheists And Agnostics How Do You Feel When You Remember This Hymn Verse by Nobody: 11:18am On Nov 18, 2016
bennyann:

There is a difference between born into and deciding to remain or change because of a personal conviction.

We are no more babies so we don't talk about serendipity in issues like this, we rather talk about our decisions and personal convictions.

Besides, I don't remember telling you my religion is the right one. I only told you to see things from other perspective also. I only said out my thoughts.

But it's so amazing how you can easily voice out my beliefs. Kudos

Don't you believe you are also on the right path or you have mixed feelings?

And dear, it was out of love I said whatever I said and not for it to yield any form of arguments.

Thank you.
I don't want to argue too. But the truth is you're only practicing your religion because you were born where you were born and at this time. Change any of those two parameters and you would be in another religion. I didn't say my side was right or wrong but it is the most logical.
There are 4000 plus Gods in the world, each with its own loyal followers and history. It is either they are all real which you will admit is impossible, since they contradict each other or they are largely non existent.
I refuse you believe that one side out of the thousands is correct and the rest wrong without concrete evidence.
I refuse to believe on just faith alone. As faith is found in all religions, evidence on the other hand is not.
Re: Atheists And Agnostics How Do You Feel When You Remember This Hymn Verse by akintom(m): 12:03pm On Nov 18, 2016
Sanchez01:

You're wrong, you extremely consider yourself better than atheists. Except you don't believe and practice your Bible.

You're Bible calls atheists the following:

* foolish
* sinner
* condemned
* will burn in fire
* lost
* wicked
* evil
* satanic
* will perish
* immoral
* unloving etc

You Christians are sickly hateful and judgemental of atheists.

But if there's any atheist, that shares this base attitudes of Christians, such atheist is ignorant and alien to atheistic ideologies and concepts.
Re: Atheists And Agnostics How Do You Feel When You Remember This Hymn Verse by Nobody: 12:47pm On Nov 18, 2016
bennyann:

You are right at the bolded part, but it's different now.
I have broken free.
Re: Atheists And Agnostics How Do You Feel When You Remember This Hymn Verse by bennyann: 2:45pm On Nov 18, 2016
CeoMYN:

You are right at the bolded part, but it's different now.
I have broken free.

Let's all just hope truly we are free. Let's all hope and pray that we're indeed in the right path.

I believe in different paths of / to life but I'm sure only one stands out.

I pray we all locate that one before it's too late.
Re: Atheists And Agnostics How Do You Feel When You Remember This Hymn Verse by hopefulLandlord: 2:58pm On Nov 18, 2016
Sanchez01:

that's your interpretation

most atheists here are very civil in their rubbishing of your belief

1 Like

Re: Atheists And Agnostics How Do You Feel When You Remember This Hymn Verse by bennyann: 3:00pm On Nov 18, 2016
Lennycool:

I don't want to argue too. But the truth is you're only practicing your religion because you were born where you were born and at this time. Change any of those two parameters and you would be in another religion. I didn't say my side was right or wrong but it is the most logical.
There are 4000 plus Gods in the world, each with its own loyal followers and history. It is either they are all real which you will admit is impossible, since they contradict each other or they are largely non existent.
I refuse you believe that one side out of the thousands is correct and the rest wrong without concrete evidence.
I refuse to believe on just faith alone. As faith is found in all religions, evidence on the other hand is not.

I believe there are other gods. I believe there are different paths to follow but I also believe out of all those gods and paths only one is the truth. Because we can't have many truths since they don't agree with each other.

Let's just hope and pray we are on the right path.

But don't you think if there is a God, then HE is God because He is too big for your logical mind to contain Him? How else will He be God if our logical mind that has a limit contain His fulness.

So dear, please, let's just hope and pray to be on the right path.
Re: Atheists And Agnostics How Do You Feel When You Remember This Hymn Verse by Nobody: 3:19pm On Nov 18, 2016
bennyann:

Let's all just hope truly we are free. Let's all hope and pray that we're indeed in the right path.

I believe in different paths of / to life but I'm sure only one stands out.

I pray we all locate that one before it's too late.

Thumbs up bro smiley

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

BREAKING: Pastor Adeboye Retires As General Overseer Of RCCG / Today's Testimony! / Nigerian Billionaire Escober Smith Surprises His Pastor On Her Birthday

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.