Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,397 members, 7,836,596 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 10:23 AM

Is Development All About Personal Wealth? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Is Development All About Personal Wealth? (2435 Views)

How did Former Treasurer Of Mobil and Drug Trafficker Tinubu Acquire His Wealth? / See Diezani’s Partner-in- Crime, His Super Yacht And Billion Dollar Wealth (pix) / Kano State Starts The Conversion Of Waste To Wealth (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Development All About Personal Wealth? by Beaf: 12:10pm On Nov 05, 2009
One thing keeps ringing in the words of those foolishly condemning Nigerians in the diaspora; it would seem that to them, that development simply means acquiring personal wealth and comfort. One of Nigeria's major problems is greed, with Farida Waziri even believing it to be a mental health issue.

The majority of us, however believe that development is a collective thing. Everyone benefits, everyone contributes, the government must lead and empower.
It is a failure for government to blame its citizens, instead, it must be at the forefront, sacrificing to create an enabling environment to spur growth and development. This includes power supply, rule of law, reduction of bureaucratic processes, investment in transportation, communications, health, education and IT.
There should also be tax breaks and other juicy incentives for Nigerians only, to encourage transfer of technology or innovation.

Above all, there must be investment in people. This includes caring for citizens both home and abroad, as well as, setting up means to harness individual talents for the benefit of all.
When the govt cares for the people, they will respond by caring for each other.
The scene in the image below is not in the least possible in Nigeria; it shows the Toyota Motorsport Chairman and Team Principal Tadashi Yamashina weeping when asked about the future of their young Formula 1 drivers at a news conference to announce their withdrawal from the sport (mainly due to cost in the current global downturn) . The interview took place at the company's headquarters in Tokyo November 4, 2009. Can an employer ever weep for their employees in Nigeria? Can our govt ever weep for an individual Nigerian?

Re: Is Development All About Personal Wealth? by Afam(m): 12:32pm On Nov 05, 2009
Beaf:
Can an employer ever weep for their employees in Nigeria? Can our govt ever weep for an individual Nigerian?

Maybe, for the wrong reasons sha. Maybe when they cannot cheat them at will without any consequences.

One good thing that will come out of difficult times is innovation.

When there is no free money to spend (from the government to the individual) then we begin to question our spending habits, the quality of products and services, projects that may not be viable etc.

I can understand difficulty due to things outside our control but for corruption induced difficulties only execution would do to help in that regard.

Development cannot be about personal wealth because a rich man in the midst of poor people is inherently poor because the problems of the poor by extension becomes your problems too when they have to come to you for help.

Security nko? You get to build a house that looks like a prison yard, spend money installing security gadgets and hiring armed body guards and police men.

So, in my opinion collective development is 100% better than personal wealth.
Re: Is Development All About Personal Wealth? by Beaf: 1:50pm On Nov 05, 2009
Afam:

Maybe, for the wrong reasons sha. Maybe when they cannot cheat them at will without any consequences. . .

shocked shocked shocked

I think our problems lie there.
The govt is so corrupt that practically the only way to survive is by imbibing the same greed, wickedness and and kleptomania.
I am wondering, is there any way that citizens can pull together to avoid this loop to nowhere? Perhaps, forming coorperatives with strict rules might do the trick; but only for a start. The great positive in banding together, is that people would increasingly begin to speak with a single voice and in time, could force the govt along the path to change.
Re: Is Development All About Personal Wealth? by Afam(m): 1:59pm On Nov 05, 2009
Beaf:

shocked shocked shocked

I think our problems lie there.
The govt is so corrupt that practically the only way to survive is by imbibing the same greed, wickedness and and kleptomania.
I am wondering, is there any way that citizens can pull together to avoid this loop to nowhere? Perhaps, forming coorperatives with strict rules might do the trick; but only for a start. The great positive in banding together, is that people would increasingly begin to speak with a single voice and in time, could force the govt along the path to change.

What I have come to realize is that the average Nigerian does not know his rights and majority of those that even know their rights are never ready to enforce those rights out of fear.

Some engage in the same corruption they criticize without any shame.

Working together would be great but as they say - would two people work together unless they agree?

The rate at which people are ready to go to war instead of admitting mistakes worries me a great deal and this is even common with the educated ones that should know better.

I try to sanitize my own space by insisting on what is right at all times, saying NO to corruption at all times and encouraging others to do same.

You don't pray at night for God to protect you from armed robbers and then leave all the doors and windows open.

So, we should not expect the government to change overnight as most powerful and rich people in Nigeria today can only thrive in the current corruption ridden system. That is why they are ready to do everything possible to get into power and once they get in they are ready to do anything to remain there.
Re: Is Development All About Personal Wealth? by Beaf: 7:50pm On Nov 05, 2009
^
You are bang on the money there about citizens not knowing their rights.

For each citizen to play their full part in national development, it is essential that each a individual knows both, knows their rights and what their nation demands of them.
Precisely, because no one knows what goes where, national development lacks definition and is governed by, stupidity, fuzziness, fits and starts, corrupt loopholes and the sickening displays of government "very busy doing nothing" that we see everyday.

The reason most Nigerians do not know their rights is primarily due to illiteracy.
However, there is a much more frightening manifestation, were the "educated" choose to either ignore or forego their rights as shortcuts to a full belly (one that eventually shoots down both the nation and the individual). This sort of behaviour is caused by poverty, the lack of opportunity and frustration from the absence of an enabling environment. The spillover effects of this behaviour are so serious and destructive that it is in Nigeria's interest to raise as high level National security issues; education, poverty eradication, creation of opportunities and an enabling environment.

It is only when we get it right in that way, that we will be able to imagine how a man rated by Forbes, could weep for the sake of his employees welfare. To the Nigerian, such an event is a very wild impossibility; but it happened. http://people.forbes.com/profile/tadashi-yamashina/80512
Re: Is Development All About Personal Wealth? by NegroNtns(m): 11:53pm On Nov 05, 2009
hmmm. . .
Re: Is Development All About Personal Wealth? by ikeyman00(m): 12:48am On Nov 06, 2009
@@@@@@@@@@@
james ibori

what do u think
Re: Is Development All About Personal Wealth? by Kobojunkie: 4:27am On Nov 06, 2009
Here on Nairaland, a large majority of folks on here who profess to be the PATRIOTIC Nigerians seem to think so. Apparently, that their peers are able to run their PERSONAL businesses and make PROFITS for themselves in Nigeria translates to DEVELOPMENT.
Re: Is Development All About Personal Wealth? by posakosa(m): 4:50am On Nov 06, 2009
what form of development do u speak of ? its about much more but an essential part of economic development is about creating jobs/generating taxes for the government.
Re: Is Development All About Personal Wealth? by sjeezy8: 6:44am On Nov 06, 2009
Yes indeed but at the same time paying taxes.
Re: Is Development All About Personal Wealth? by ikeyman00(m): 8:18am On Nov 06, 2009
^^^^^^^^^^

to looter invisible system
??
Re: Is Development All About Personal Wealth? by Beaf: 8:09pm On Nov 06, 2009
sjeezy8:

Yes indeed but at the same time paying taxes.

Aliko Dangote is the richest man in Africa. If the above holds true, why are the states where he has business interests not developed? If he has created job opportunities, why are they so stunted that so few can key in (contrast with Silicon Valley or Las Vegas)? What is missing?
Re: Is Development All About Personal Wealth? by Beaf: 8:11pm On Nov 06, 2009
posakosa:

what form of development do u speak of ? its about much more but an essential part of economic development is about creating jobs/generating taxes for the government.

It encompasses all definitions of development. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Developed_country (the real deal). How, when and what can we do to measure up?

Creating jobs/generating taxes is a miniscule portion of development. It is more about completeness; the condition of the national psyche for one, how we approach and tackle issues, investment in intellectual knowledge as a resource etc.
Re: Is Development All About Personal Wealth? by otokx(m): 12:17pm On Nov 07, 2009
Beaf has raised some salient points but most of us look at development as being wealthy. A society that celebrates opulence without questioning the source can be a good definition of Nigeria. The end justifies the means and its all about the money but i beg to differ.
Re: Is Development All About Personal Wealth? by SapeleGuy: 1:09pm On Nov 07, 2009
Clearly business and wealth should act as catalysts for development and government does their bit by creating an enabling environment (infrastructure, regulatory framework and security).

The problem we have is that we don't have enough large scale industries, we haven't reached critical mass, so the dangote's are conspicous by their presence.

I think the synergy between wealth and development is undeniable but those who can in Nigeria refuse to use wealth for development ends. We really need to be identifying those who can.
Re: Is Development All About Personal Wealth? by posakosa(m): 1:37pm On Nov 07, 2009
Beaf:

It encompasses all definitions of development. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Developed_country (the real deal). How, when and what can we do to measure up.

Creating jobs/generating taxes is a miniscule portion of development. It is more about completeness; the condition of the national psyche for one, how we approach and tackle issues, investment in intellectual knowledge as a resource etc.

Its not miniscule; it the fastest metrics to measuring and documenting growth and development.
Re: Is Development All About Personal Wealth? by Nobody: 4:00pm On Nov 07, 2009
Its what you call passion for excellence. Some people are like that. They hurt so much when they cant meet their targets and expectations.
I sometimes wonder if the businesses run in Nigeria arent just exercises to boost people ego and make them feel just busy.
I have read about the world 1000 brands. Nothing from Nigeria has made it there. The same with universities. Its a big pleasure to know this.
It gives me a great opportunity to be the first Nigerian to make it to that list. I dont care about Forbes.
There are enough people there with ill-gotten wealth. Excellence isnt about money. Its not about beating the competition, its about overcoming your own dreams and expectations.
Re: Is Development All About Personal Wealth? by Beaf: 5:12pm On Nov 07, 2009
posakosa:

Its not miniscule; it the fastest metrics to measuring and documenting growth and development.

While generation of jobs/taxes are a solid measure of economic wellbeing that can't be washed away, they are in no way a measure of development. For instance, a country might generate stupendous wealth from minerals, but remain undeveloped (e.g. Gabon).

These are unemployment rate figures for various countries, in various states of development:
[list]
[li]Thailand - 1.40%[/li]
[li]Cuba - 1.60%[/li]
[li]Russia - 6.40%[/li]
[li]United States - 7.20[/li]
[li]South Africa - 22.90%[/li]
[/list]
Source: https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/rankorder/2129rank.html

In no way are, Thailand, Cuba, Russia more developed than the US. Also, South Africa is much more developed than Cuba.
Re: Is Development All About Personal Wealth? by slimes(m): 5:20pm On Nov 07, 2009
Personal wealth is only measured in terms of per capita income. In countries that are underdeveloped including Nigeria, per capita income figures are "nothing to write home about".
Re: Is Development All About Personal Wealth? by akinalabi(m): 5:47pm On Nov 07, 2009
Beaf:

Is Development All About Personal Wealth?

No chance, and I dont think that's debatable. There is a huge difference betwen individual wealth and the
general development of a country. I dont even think that should come up for discussion.

Beaf:

Can an employer ever weep for their employees in Nigeria?

Nope. And I don't think an employee can weep when a company goes bust

Beaf:

For most of us, we believe that development is a collective thing. Everyone benefits, everyone contributes, the government must lead and empower.

The government must lead and empower for a country to develop. . . But for individual development
and wealth, it is up to the individual
Re: Is Development All About Personal Wealth? by Beaf: 6:30pm On Nov 07, 2009
There is obviously something the FG is missing (matter of fact, it is several things) that could make an individual so committed to both his country, company and fellow humans: he is a completely balanced individual.

Tadashi Yamashina, senior managing director and head of Toyota’s motor racing unit, said through tears that he was sorry for Toyota’s racers, especially the team’s Japanese reserve driver, Kamui Kobayashi. Toyota’s main drivers for the 2009 season were Jarno Trulli of Italy and Timo Glock of Germany.

“The drivers have grown, together with the team,” he said, trailing off as his eyes welled with tears. He spent the rest of the news conference heaving and sighing and dabbing his eyes with a handkerchief.

Alongside Yamanashi, Toyoda, a member of the company’s founding family who took over in June, presented himself as a realist who was not afraid of making tough decisions. “I have always been one of motor sport’s most ardent supporters,” he said. “But since becoming president, my responsibilities have changed. I felt that we needed to shift the company’s resources. Eco-friendly cars are our top priority.”
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/05/sports/autoracing/05prix.html

What a guy! What a guy!

Tadashi Yamashina is not a spirit, neither is he made off special stuff, it is just a coincidence that he was born in a country with the right circumstances for him to very rightly rise to the top. It is certain that a man of his fibre would be to "weak" to make it in the brutish environment Nigeria currently offers. Needless to say, he is at the top in one of the most successful companies to grace the Earth; the area he was involved in (Formula 1) is so advanced, that it hooks into national defense, space, aeronautical, automobile and other cutting edge technologies.

If the FG can get it right, there will be no end to citizens willing to sacrifice their all, both for the country and for their comrades. Development is not mechanical, it is more a societal / community thing,  more to do with cooperation to build to higher heights. If citizens gain a feeling of belonging and are respected, they will push for their collective benefit and drive development.

We can change things if we try, positive ways forward (without the corrupt FG) need to be identified. We too can get there.
Re: Is Development All About Personal Wealth? by kcjazz(m): 7:39pm On Nov 07, 2009
The answer to our national development is connected with the level of our social capital. That promotes trust, accountability, values, patriotism and makes business easier.
Re: Is Development All About Personal Wealth? by olalekan1(m): 7:45pm On Nov 07, 2009
There will be no tangible development in NIgeria until we practice a free and fair election.
Re: Is Development All About Personal Wealth? by Dede1(m): 8:18pm On Nov 07, 2009
For sake of this thread, development is a process of growth. And the process is a series of events to produce a result in a given system or set of procedures used to produce result.

Let us examine Nigeria in the lights of development. The issue of process is paramount to growth, hence developments. There are factors and variables that will combine to represent events within a process that will manifest into a good or bad result. It is the strength of dynamic cohesion during the process that will fuse the factors and variables together to produce the desired results.

Nigeria is an entity that is required to grow. The factors and variables included the people, form of education, land, climatic conditions, culture and method of government.

Until the inhabitants of the geographical expression known as Nigeria take critical look at the factors and variables that are lodged into a process in the country, the development we all envisaged for the nation would remains as elusive as a mirage. However, if the personal wealth is a resultant of a process that saw any bit of growth, then it is a form of development.
Re: Is Development All About Personal Wealth? by cvibe: 8:30pm On Nov 07, 2009
I'm simply not a fan of talking about it, but doing it. We can talk from now till thy kingdom come, nothing will happen until action is taken.
Re: Is Development All About Personal Wealth? by Nobody: 9:32pm On Nov 07, 2009
I think we should start by asking IBB who still has $12b oil windfall in his pocket. how about Alams, Joshua Dariye just to mention a few
Re: Is Development All About Personal Wealth? by ezeagu(m): 9:51pm On Nov 07, 2009
Talking. Talking. Talking. Talking. Talking. Talking.
Re: Is Development All About Personal Wealth? by SapeleGuy: 10:29pm On Nov 07, 2009
Beaf:

What a guy! What a guy!

Tadashi Yamashina is not a spirit, neither is he made off special stuff, it is just a coincidence that he was born in a country with the right circumstances for him to very rightly rise to the top. It is certain that a man of his fibre would be to "weak" to make it in the brutish environment Nigeria currently offers. Needless to say, he is at the top in one of the most successful companies to grace the Earth; the area he was involved in (Formula 1) is so advanced, that it hooks into national defense, space, aeronautical, automobile and other cutting edge technologies.

I think it is hard to discount the positive part that faith / religion plays in the life of the Japanese. These people have maintained their traditional belief of Shinto and Buddhism despite attack from Christianity. They believe.
Honour and integrity play such a big part in their culture, hence some of them Will commit 'harikiri' when failure strikes.

In truth, i don't see any chief exec in UK or USA crying because they have to make people redundant - Cultural thing.

In Nigeria's case if this was true, we for don cry river. Religion for our politicians is schizophrenic, Islam or Christianity by day, evil ritualism by night. Jekyll and Hyde.
Re: Is Development All About Personal Wealth? by philipinho: 12:28pm On Nov 08, 2009
how many people can use their own money to build their community? i see beautiful houses all around, but the roads leading to these houses are all messed up?
Re: Is Development All About Personal Wealth? by hajifaty: 1:05pm On Nov 08, 2009
Our greediness is our problem
Re: Is Development All About Personal Wealth? by ellagold(m): 2:58am On Nov 09, 2009
I believe personal development is the key that will save this our great nation from falling total .We are not fighting against flesh and blood at all .Ignorance many destiny in Nigeria than any thing I encourage all to know that love is great weapon to help us win this war we are facing now.
Re: Is Development All About Personal Wealth? by Getiso: 11:45am On Nov 09, 2009
Aliko Dangote is the richest man in Africa. If the above holds true, why are the states where he has business interests not developed? If he has created job opportunities, why are they so stunted that so few can key in (contrast with Silicon Valley or Las Vegas)? What is missing?[/Beaf]

Beaf is not far from the truth. Dangote is a very greedy man. He is just interested in himself. He can never weep for any of his staff he would rather see them go hungry or die. He has virtually monopolies the Nigerian Market. and at the same time created barriers so that others will not gain entry into his business areas. Those already there he looks for means to usurp them and get them out.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Meet Dr Ekekwe, The Nigerian Inventor / BOMBSHELL: “pres. Jonathan Can’t Win In 2015″ – Dokubo Asari / Only A Bastard From Igboland Would Vote Apc Or Buhari

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.