Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,118 members, 7,863,899 topics. Date: Tuesday, 18 June 2024 at 08:34 AM

Is Development All About Personal Wealth? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Is Development All About Personal Wealth? (2442 Views)

How did Former Treasurer Of Mobil and Drug Trafficker Tinubu Acquire His Wealth? / See Diezani’s Partner-in- Crime, His Super Yacht And Billion Dollar Wealth (pix) / Kano State Starts The Conversion Of Waste To Wealth (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Development All About Personal Wealth? by Getiso: 11:47am On Nov 09, 2009
Aliko Dangote is the richest man in Africa. If the above holds true, why are the states where he has business interests not developed? If he has created job opportunities, why are they so stunted that so few can key in (contrast with Silicon Valley or Las Vegas)? What is missing?

Dangote is a very greedy man. He can never weep fr any of his staff he would rather see them go hungry or die. He has virtually monopolise the Nigerian Market. and at the same time created barriers so that others will not gain entry into his business areas. Those already there he looks for means to ursup them and get them out.
Re: Is Development All About Personal Wealth? by dakkylove(f): 11:52am On Nov 09, 2009
seriously one of the major issues we have in this country is corruption,
how do we tackle corruption when the machinery that put our leaders their in the first place is intrinsically corrupt.
the shame going on at the Under 17 world cup is just one of the examples. How do you buy second hand machinery for 8.billion,
whilst South Africa buys brand new of that same machinery for 6 Billion.
at this point i'm tired of all the talk on the ills of Nigeria, things are not getting any better.
what do we do, what is the way out that is what i want to hear.
action, action, action.
Re: Is Development All About Personal Wealth? by TonyRolo: 12:38pm On Nov 09, 2009
Aliko Dangote is the richest man in Africa. If the above holds true, why are the states where he has business interests not developed? If he has created job opportunities, why are they so stunted that so few can key in (contrast with Silicon Valley or Las Vegas)? What is missing?

Dangote is a very greedy man. He can never weep fr any of his staff he would rather see them go hungry or die. He has virtually monopolise the Nigerian Market. and at the same time created barriers so that others will not gain entry into his business areas. Those already there he looks for means to ursup them and get them out.

@ Getiso. You might be wrong there. Dangote has greatly helped in the economic development of this nation. He has really been commited to Nigeria in many ways. Beside creating jobs, he generates tax for the government, he takes care of the community where he has his factories and he is an advocate of good governance.
Re: Is Development All About Personal Wealth? by posakosa(m): 4:23pm On Nov 09, 2009
TonyRolo:

@ Getiso. You might be wrong there. Dangote has greatly helped in the economic development of this nation. He has really been commited to Nigeria in many ways. Beside creating jobs, he generates tax for the government, he takes care of the community where he has his factories and he is an advocate of good governance.

YOU ARE WRONG
. A good business man does NOT monopolize markets, he allows for competition and knows that his business ideas can survive. Actually NOT monopolizing markets will allow the competition to create jobs for citizens.

DANGOTE IS A GREEDY RETARD.
Re: Is Development All About Personal Wealth? by Kobojunkie: 4:38pm On Nov 09, 2009
Getiso:

That is UNFAIR judgement there. The man is like most every other business man in the jungle. He does all he can to ensure His business continues to experience growth at most all cost. Even small business owners tend to do the same thing. He is no different from the man that believes when He provides for SELF first, people around him will benefit in one way or another and that means Nigeria development for the country.

That could not be far from the truth. What I call the age of SELF RELIANCE has been around for almost 25 years in Nigeria. It started right about the time when Babangida took office back in 1985; people started preaching that self reliance was probably the way to go( Don't expect Government to do for you, do it for self). Well, 25 years later, we have significant figures to work with in understanding how effective that whole exercise has been in building the nation as a whole. What are we going to do with that knowledge? Continue to believe that the status quo is ok? or figure out it might be time to try a different approach to solving our problems? And maybe that HELPING SELF FIRST is not really as good as it sounds.
Re: Is Development All About Personal Wealth? by posakosa(m): 4:44pm On Nov 09, 2009
No matter what; MONOPOLY is not good for any economy.
Re: Is Development All About Personal Wealth? by Afam(m): 4:51pm On Nov 09, 2009
posakosa:

No matter what; MONOPOLY is not good for any economy.

Monopoly kills innovation.

Monopoly even destroys the business because its growth will remain stunted.

Anybody can make money if he/she is running a business that is based on monopoly.

There is nothing good about monopoly.

Unfortunately, most (if not all) of our business men and women that enjoy such may not be able to survive in an atmosphere of competition.
Re: Is Development All About Personal Wealth? by posakosa(m): 5:23pm On Nov 09, 2009
z^^^^^^well said homie. wink wink wink wink I provide a little bit of insight into monopoly on here:

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria?topic=345267.msg4838746#msg4838746
Re: Is Development All About Personal Wealth? by Nezan(m): 2:07pm On Nov 10, 2009
Is monopoly good?
Re: Is Development All About Personal Wealth? by posakosa(m): 2:59pm On Nov 10, 2009
Nezan:

Is monopoly good?

NO
Re: Is Development All About Personal Wealth? by hasyak(m): 3:20pm On Nov 10, 2009
my take on this, is that we have to fight corruption in all its facets, that is the only way we can general development in the country,
Re: Is Development All About Personal Wealth? by TonyRolo: 1:49pm On Nov 11, 2009
Guys, i do not see monopoly here, I only see a businessman who keeps succeeding in anything he lays his hands on. Any businessman will do what it takes to succeed and remain at the top. The problem with some Nigerian businessman is that they fear risk and chicken out at any slightest attempt to compete with them. We should not blame Dangote for courageous to hold the reins of his business and remaining on top despite the hash business environment we are in. He is a good strategist; and no businessman can survive without this.
Re: Is Development All About Personal Wealth? by Beaf: 1:56pm On Nov 11, 2009
hasyak:

my take on this, is that we have to fight corruption in all its facets, that is the only way we can general development in the country,

I think a fundamental question is why it is so easy to be corrupt in Nigeria. My answer is that the constitution has way too many loopholes (deliberate?), we need to push to block them.
Re: Is Development All About Personal Wealth? by hasyak(m): 2:13pm On Nov 12, 2009
Beaf:

I think a fundamental question is why it is so easy to be corrupt in Nigeria. My answer is that the constitution has way too many loopholes (deliberate?), we need to push to block them.

i don't believe our constitution is that weak on corruption, its the enforcement of what is even there that is the major issue, the law enforcement agencies and the courts?
Re: Is Development All About Personal Wealth? by emiemi(f): 4:49pm On Nov 12, 2009
@topic
Yes, that's d meaning of the word in Naija.
Re: Is Development All About Personal Wealth? by Beaf: 5:33pm On Nov 12, 2009
hasyak:

i don't believe our constitution is that weak on corruption, its the enforcement of what is even there that is the major issue, the law enforcement agencies and the courts?

The constitutuition makes it extremely difficult to bring criminals to account, the reason being that all power is very heavily centered in Abuja.
It is such a mismatch that when crimes are committed at state level, accountability is to Abuja shocked. For example, the landscape is replete with ex-governors who cannot be brought to book (the "untouchables"wink, because the system has deliberately made the states too weak to challenge them (don't forget the current constitutuition was written during a dictatorship and foistered on the country in an undemocratic way).

The "untouchable" class is not limited to ex-governors only, it extends to ex-presidents and to a lesser extent, all ex political office holders. It is extremely easy for criminal office holders to take advantage of consituitional loopholes and become "untouchables" that can do as they please. Those who cannot benefit directly can do so very easily by subsribing to "godsonship" or "goddaughtership", thus making the already powerful political criminal class into even more powerful criminal cabals.

That is the sad story of today's Nigeria. embarassed
Re: Is Development All About Personal Wealth? by Kobojunkie: 6:00pm On Nov 12, 2009
TonyRolo:

Guys, i do not see monopoly here, I only see a businessman who keeps succeeding in anything he lays his hands on. Any businessman will do what it takes to succeed and remain at the top. The problem with some Nigerian businessman is that they fear risk and chicken out at any slightest attempt to compete with them. We should not blame Dangote for courageous to hold the reins of his business and remaining on top despite the hash business environment we are in. He is a good strategist; and no businessman can survive without this.

Let's call a spade a spade!! Monopoly is partly key to success in a Business jungle like that.

emiemi:

@topic
Yes, that's d meaning of the word in Naija.

You can say that again!
Re: Is Development All About Personal Wealth? by Nobody: 6:28pm On Nov 12, 2009
I think so because these days a man's achievement is measured by his money and other valuables he possesses.,whether you develop yourself or not doesnt ring a bell even to you,,i mean you poster
Re: Is Development All About Personal Wealth? by Beaf: 7:09pm On Nov 12, 2009
~Bluetooth:

I think so because these days a man's achievement is measured by his money and other valuables he possesses.,whether you develop yourself or not doesnt ring a bell even to you,,i mean you poster

And how is a woman's achievement measured?
Where does society come in, if development is all about the individual achievements of males?
Re: Is Development All About Personal Wealth? by Afam(m): 10:59am On Nov 13, 2009
Can the society develop without the individuals that make up the society being developed? I don't think so.

Is it possible to see a prosperous nation without prosperous people? I don't think so.

In the final analysis even government boils down to the individuals who are either selected or elected to take charge of the affairs of the people.

So, we may need to rephrase the title for us to appreciate the facts of the matter.
Re: Is Development All About Personal Wealth? by Nobody: 2:50pm On Nov 13, 2009
@beaf
i beg to disagree with u,,we are talking about private citizens here.,citing a well to do nigerian as an example,the only thing that he cares about is himself and his nuclear family.,he doesnt care about his extended family talkless of his environs.People care less about the society nowadays even the government is not excluded.
Re: Is Development All About Personal Wealth? by Kobojunkie: 2:56pm On Nov 13, 2009
What the @Poster is asking, or my interpretation of the question, is when considering development in a COUNTRY, does the wealth obtained by individuals, even selfish ones, what counts? Take for instance, you take a poll on here on what people see as signs of development in NIgeria, and you are bound to read some people talk of how people like Dangote, Otedola have been able to make billions in the current environment and how that is sign of COUNTRY-WIDE development. Some will give examples of their so-called peers being more money and living better lives as signs that the country as a whole is moving in the right direction.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Meet Dr Ekekwe, The Nigerian Inventor / Military Shake Up: Army Redeploys Gocs, Senior Officers / Alfred Nobel The Owner Nobel Prize Was An Arms Manufacturer And Dealer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.