Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,231 members, 7,818,781 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:57 AM

Who Is Nigerias" Greatest Female Footballer: Mercy Or Perpetual? - Sports (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Who Is Nigerias" Greatest Female Footballer: Mercy Or Perpetual? (36449 Views)

Who Is Really Nigeria's Greatest Footballer? / "Look At Your Mates" - Footballer Kelechi Nwakali All Guccified In New Photo / Nigerian Female Footballer Kneels To Collect Her Entitlements. Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who Is Nigerias" Greatest Female Footballer: Mercy Or Perpetual? by ashatoda: 5:45pm On Nov 23, 2016
i know perpetual is good but mercy is far better. I watched both and will always rate mercy above perpetual
Re: Who Is Nigerias" Greatest Female Footballer: Mercy Or Perpetual? by yedidiah(m): 5:47pm On Nov 23, 2016
even Mercy Akide will tell you Perpetual Nkwocha is greater. 34 AWC goals not to talk of qualifiers, friendlies and international competitions.

3 Likes

Re: Who Is Nigerias" Greatest Female Footballer: Mercy Or Perpetual? by special19: 5:53pm On Nov 23, 2016
Interestingly I met Akide and her husband, Collins Udoh at a friend's wedding in the U S of A last September. She still look fit and her masculine look is still very obvious even in native attire. She's a rare legend.

robosky02:
Mercy Akide Udoh:
(born 26 August 1975 in Port Harcourt, Nigeria) is a former Nigerian football player.

1) In the beginning of her career She played two seasons consistency with Jegede Babes, where she scored a record 49 goals in two seasons, caught the attention of national coach Ismaila Mabo and Mercy was called to camp in 1994 for the Super Falcons. But another rush of goals, 17 in the league and 9 in the Challenge Cup earned her a recall.

2) In 2001 she was named the first African Women Footballer of the Year,

3) In 1999 and 2004 she was named the first African in the FIFA World All-Star.

4) She has played for Nigeria in three FIFA Women's World Cups and 1995,1999,and 2003

5) She helped Nigeria's Super Falcons to three African Women Championships (AWC) titles in 1998, 2000 and 2002.

6) She participated in 2 Olympic with the Super Falcons in Sydney 2000, Athens 2004,

7) In November 2004, she married football journalist Colin Udoh. in of Port Harcourt.

cool In 2005, she was named by FIFA as one of its 15 Ambassadors for Women Football. Becoming the most recognized Female footballer from Africa.

Coaching career:
Between 2006-2008, Mercy was employed at Stars Soccer Club, where she was the head coach for Stars U-16 Athena C Gold Girls and worked within Youth Development (an NGO also employing her friend Luke Concannon, a coach of the U-13 girls team.)

From 2008-2013, Mercy worked as the co-director of Youth Development and for Beach FC in Virginia Beach, Virginia. In 2013, Mercy joined the coaching staff of Virginia Rush Soccer Club, in Virginia Beach, Virginia.

1 Like

Re: Who Is Nigerias" Greatest Female Footballer: Mercy Or Perpetual? by pazienza(m): 5:55pm On Nov 23, 2016
Icon79:

It's actually silly to judge a player's contribution in a game to the number of goals she scored or didn't score. Only people who don't understand how the game is played would do that. Scoring goals is important but there's more to the game than simply goal scoring. Anybody who watched the Falcons during Mercy Akide's era would know that that team belongs to one player and one player only - Marvelous Mercy Akide! In those days when you play against the Falcons, the other teams specifically plans on how to stop Mercy. If you watch the team play, she's the name on the mouth of every player. They keep calling her: Marvelous Mercy, Marvelous Mercy despite the team having lots of other stars like Captain Omogbami, Nkeiru Okosieme, etc. Mercy carried that team and they all looked up to her. In addition, her game was just on a different level - speed, power, and skills.

Nigeria is yet to produce another player on her level. She was like the Jay Jay Okocha of that Falcon's team.

O pari

Perhaps we remember differently. In which case we can agree to disagree.
I remember it was Perpetual Who was said to be a fusion of Kanu and Okocha by the Nigerian press those days.

4 Likes

Re: Who Is Nigerias" Greatest Female Footballer: Mercy Or Perpetual? by nnamdibig(m): 5:55pm On Nov 23, 2016
Both are great players but I will choose Ann Chiejine and Florence Omagbemi over both of them.

1 Like

Re: Who Is Nigerias" Greatest Female Footballer: Mercy Or Perpetual? by excel101(m): 5:58pm On Nov 23, 2016
Mercy Akide was very good but Perpetua Nkwocha is the best. My reason is because Nkwocha won more team trophies with Super Falcons, scored more goals than Akide, and 4 time CAF player of the year with Akide having just one.

3 Likes

Re: Who Is Nigerias" Greatest Female Footballer: Mercy Or Perpetual? by excel101(m): 5:58pm On Nov 23, 2016
Mercy Akide was very good but Perpetua Nkwocha was better. My reason is because Nkwocha won more team trophies with Super Falcons, scored more goals than Akide, and 4 time CAF player of the year with Akide having just one.

1 Like

Re: Who Is Nigerias" Greatest Female Footballer: Mercy Or Perpetual? by nnokwa042(m): 6:02pm On Nov 23, 2016
PlayerMeji:
Which kinroftin is dis?

Are you trying to share 3 diamond gems equally between 2 people?

Both of them have been fantastic for Nigeria.

So dont take anything away from them by saying one is greater than the other.

so after nkwocha won africa best female player 4 times african cup women cup 5 times u people still want to compare her with mercy akide make una continue

1 Like

Re: Who Is Nigerias" Greatest Female Footballer: Mercy Or Perpetual? by zicky(m): 6:03pm On Nov 23, 2016
I have to give mention to Stella mbachu, serve Nigeria for a very long time female version of Ikedia, very good on the wing.

Ifeanyi cheijine, thought she was related to Ann Cheijine. Very good mid-fielder and and excellent in free kicks

2 Likes

Re: Who Is Nigerias" Greatest Female Footballer: Mercy Or Perpetual? by Nobody: 6:05pm On Nov 23, 2016
Daninya11:
Where is the dichotomy between the duo?.

I was privileged to watch Mercy Akide play football in the '99 world Cup to the early 2000.I strongly opine that she was the best striker Nigeria has ever produced in Female Football.

Perpetual Nwokocha was a Midfielder cum goal poacher who could do exploit from midfield. I will say She is the best Midfielder Nigeria Female has ever seen.

Mercy faced stiffer opposition than Perpetual. During the days of Mercy, we were not technically sound as we are today. Mercy took the team on her shoulders. Countries like U. S. A, Sweden, France,Brazil England were way ahead than their African counterparts.

They are both Legends in their own right.

Endorsed!

I still remember patience Avery who was also the best female winger Nigeria and Africa has ever produced.

1 Like

Re: Who Is Nigerias" Greatest Female Footballer: Mercy Or Perpetual? by nnokwa042(m): 6:06pm On Nov 23, 2016
Nkwocha is messi of women football in africa no rival u dont see her type allways

3 Likes

Re: Who Is Nigerias" Greatest Female Footballer: Mercy Or Perpetual? by dacovajnr: 6:14pm On Nov 23, 2016
Mercy for me is the Greatest Female footballer to ever come out of Africa...Mercy is a Soccer goddess while perpetual is a Legend

1 Like

Re: Who Is Nigerias" Greatest Female Footballer: Mercy Or Perpetual? by victorazy(m): 6:20pm On Nov 23, 2016
Ndomie children will always chose Perpetual Nkwocha. i
Re: Who Is Nigerias" Greatest Female Footballer: Mercy Or Perpetual? by omofunaab(m): 6:22pm On Nov 23, 2016
IMO, I think mercy akide was the best. I had no interest in female football until I saw mercy akide play.
She was the female version of Jay Jay okocha.

Mercy akide was respected more internationally

1 Like

Re: Who Is Nigerias" Greatest Female Footballer: Mercy Or Perpetual? by asagbaesiri: 6:27pm On Nov 23, 2016
mercy akide was better because she performed excellently at the nations cup, world cup and Olympics she attended. perpetual is good but mercy is better.
Re: Who Is Nigerias" Greatest Female Footballer: Mercy Or Perpetual? by kilo4sure: 6:30pm On Nov 23, 2016
Yeah Mercy in her time was even recognized by FIFA and in the U.S as one of the best players in the world and the best from Africa. Perpetual was also recognized globally and by FIFA but not to same extent as mercy. Perpetual though was a bit more skillful and l understand why it is difficult to choose who is better, they are definitely of the same class.
Re: Who Is Nigerias" Greatest Female Footballer: Mercy Or Perpetual? by Jacko1(m): 6:32pm On Nov 23, 2016
Na oshaola nike dey on point now

1 Like

Re: Who Is Nigerias" Greatest Female Footballer: Mercy Or Perpetual? by zicky(m): 6:34pm On Nov 23, 2016
omofunaab:
IMO, I think mercy akide was the best. I had no interest in female football until I saw mercy akide play.
She was the female version of Jay Jay okocha.

Mercy akide was respected more internationally
Mercy is no version of Okocha, she's a good striker and a fighter but Perpetual is just a super talent.
Re: Who Is Nigerias" Greatest Female Footballer: Mercy Or Perpetual? by omofunaab(m): 6:37pm On Nov 23, 2016
zicky:

Mercy is no version of Okocha, she's a good striker and a fighter but Perpetual is just a super talent.

When i mean a female version of okocha, i didn't say the same position.

People looked up to okocha in the team likewise Mercy.

Perpetual is talented but not up to Mercy.

Maybe you didn't watch mercy play.. .she opened the door for other Africans
Re: Who Is Nigerias" Greatest Female Footballer: Mercy Or Perpetual? by sontoly: 6:50pm On Nov 23, 2016
Its obvious the stats says it all, four times African best player for women, this is just like comparing messi and ronaldinho. perpetual is the Best, no sentiment pls.

2 Likes

Re: Who Is Nigerias" Greatest Female Footballer: Mercy Or Perpetual? by kilo4sure: 6:57pm On Nov 23, 2016
sontoly:
Its obvious the stats says it all, four times African best player for women, this is just like comparing messi and ronaldinho. perpetual is the Best, no sentiment pls.
The African player of the year Award only began in 2001, mercy made her exploits in the nineties and certainly could have won it in 1998 until 2000 where she was recognized globally and was at her peak, she even bagged the first award in 2001.
Re: Who Is Nigerias" Greatest Female Footballer: Mercy Or Perpetual? by gibzzhd: 7:02pm On Nov 23, 2016
perpetual is a local champion only dominate in Africa.Mercy is a world champion scored so many world cup and Olympic goals vs international teams.An ambassador of African women's football.twice in FIFA women's team of the year.stars for one of the greatest female teams in American women league the best in the world.played along side the greatest female players on earth in America.she made me follow female football.At usa 1999.watched her live at AWC in warri in 2002 and 2004.pls don't compare meat to kpompo.Merciless Mercy is the greatest Nigerian there is........I still can remember her sublime goals perpetual can't rival.
Re: Who Is Nigerias" Greatest Female Footballer: Mercy Or Perpetual? by maximus10: 7:04pm On Nov 23, 2016
Mercy Johnson
Re: Who Is Nigerias" Greatest Female Footballer: Mercy Or Perpetual? by sontoly: 7:06pm On Nov 23, 2016
kilo4sure:

The African player of the year Award only began in 2001, mercy made her exploits in the nineties and certainly could have won it in 1998 until 2000 where she was recognized globally and was at her peak, she even bagged the first award in 2001.

what about the goals and trophies, she is far better, I followed the two watched them play, can u believe a midfielder broke a strikers record?, come on she is wey better. I used messi n ronaldinho to emphasis on the diff. so who is better? messi or ronaldinho?

1 Like

Re: Who Is Nigerias" Greatest Female Footballer: Mercy Or Perpetual? by Aarenasbaba(m): 7:18pm On Nov 23, 2016
To me perpetual nkwocha

2 Likes

Re: Who Is Nigerias" Greatest Female Footballer: Mercy Or Perpetual? by Chartey(m): 7:26pm On Nov 23, 2016
special19:
Interestingly I met Akide and her husband, Collins Udoh at a friend's wedding in the U S of A last September. She still look fit and her masculine look is still very obvious even in native attire. She's a rare legend.

"Colin" not "Collins". He takes the spelling of his name very seriously.
Re: Who Is Nigerias" Greatest Female Footballer: Mercy Or Perpetual? by hollywater: 7:32pm On Nov 23, 2016
Chichi Igbo
Re: Who Is Nigerias" Greatest Female Footballer: Mercy Or Perpetual? by robosky02(m): 7:33pm On Nov 23, 2016
special19:

gbam that's the living legend grin
Re: Who Is Nigerias" Greatest Female Footballer: Mercy Or Perpetual? by robosky02(m): 7:37pm On Nov 23, 2016
Myself2:

Perpetual has achieved more laurels, been to more tournaments, scored more goals.Wetin again you wan compare .?

Perpetual is more skillful and more of a finesse player, Mercy on the other hand is a turbo-charged power player.

I enjoyed them both (I mean their games,,,,,, O ye of dirty mind) but one over the other ; Perpetual all the way

I think

Mercy is the trail blazer of African football

while

Perpe the amplifier African football cheesy

1 Like

Re: Who Is Nigerias" Greatest Female Footballer: Mercy Or Perpetual? by profmathsland(m): 7:59pm On Nov 23, 2016
Two strikers from different worlds. Mercy was at the twilight of her career when Perpetual started hers. Fast track to 1999 Mercy was in her second world cup when perpetual was one of the youngest players in that tournament. Perpetual was watching with joy as Mercy tormented defenses from the US, Denmark and North Korea. Mercy had already shoned like a million stars on African soil when Nigeria won their third African crown. Perpetual was a teenager by then and was watching with aplomb as her counterpart was in blistering form. That world cup in 1999 defined the era where Africa will get it right against the elite teams like the US, China and Co. Let's not forget that Nigeria played against a Sun Wen-inspired China team and delivered what many believe to be a rude shock even though it was a friendly game ahead of the world cup in 1999. Now understand that this two players cannot be compared for me. Their positions tell it all. Mercy was a darling striker who knows how to position herself when due. She can as she likes and destroy defences as she likes. She was and is still recognised as Africa's top striker in the female game and one of the goal poachers in the international scenes. She is also Nigeria 's all-time leading goalscorer in the national team although Perpetual has now overtaken her as at now. Mercy started her soccer trade from the famous Jegede Babes in the early 1990s.She has also been a member of the Fifa committee on women soccer as well. Such admiration needs a round of Applause. Perpetual on her own part was an attacking midfielder who could support the attack and could also play as a central attacker as well. She broke enormous records that were set initially by Mercy Akide in the African women championship and still remains the leading all-time scorer in the competition. Both of them have gone to the world cup and Olympics as well. Forget about the number of appearances in those competitions because it does not matter. Both have also won the individual award in Africa as well. That is the African women footballer of the year. Once again forget about the number of times they did because it does not matter. I can go on and on but since you are asking for who is better then I will say that the aspects of their game must be put into consideration. These are the impact felt, contributions to their team, the threat they pose to defenders, heading, launching of counter-attacks, inspiring your team when it matters the most as part of all other leadership qualities, dribbling, passing, shooting and set pieces except if I missed any other. Honestly both have it all except for one that Perpetual failed which was in the leadership qualities. Fast track to 1999, 2000, 2003,2004,2007 competitions. You will see why I said so. I rest my case here.

1 Like

Re: Who Is Nigerias" Greatest Female Footballer: Mercy Or Perpetual? by ChristineC: 8:04pm On Nov 23, 2016
I think Perpetua was a more complete footballer, much like Ronaldinho. Azizat possess the same traits now. She was adept in both offense and defense while Mercy was a pure goal scorer.

Nkwocha edges it.

3 Likes

Re: Who Is Nigerias" Greatest Female Footballer: Mercy Or Perpetual? by holluphemydavid(m): 8:09pm On Nov 23, 2016
Mercy Akide

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Top 5 Nigerian Footballers In Serie A History / The Last Portraits Of Muhammad Ali By Zenon Texeira / Checkout Football Players And Their Lovely Kids [photos]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.