Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,201 members, 7,818,670 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:27 PM

Ethnic Groups That Always "Click" In Nigeria. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ethnic Groups That Always "Click" In Nigeria. (3293 Views)

Groups That Fought Jonathan Have Lost Their Voice Under Buhari – Abba Moro / 1931 Population Figures Of Nigerian Ethnic Groups- Colonial Annual Report 1933. / Buhari Is Allowing Other Ethnic Groups To Kill Our People - Miyetti Chairman (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ethnic Groups That Always "Click" In Nigeria. by YourNemesis: 8:18pm On Nov 21, 2016
Nupe and Gbagyi / Gbari

The Nupes can be found principally in Niger state, but also in Kwara North senatorial zone and parts of Kogi and FCT, while the Gbagyis can be found principally in Niger State, FCT and Kaduna. The Gbagyis also speak a Nupoid language. The Gbagyis and the Nupes are so mixed up geographically that it is just not possible to separate them into distinct groups. In many instances the Gbagyi and Nupe peoples live in the same villages or, at least, in closely related neighbouring villages. In many instances the villages are simply bilingual with Gbagyi and Nupe families merging one into the other in an inseparable or indistinguishable manner. Inter group marriage is the order of the day, and while the Nupes are principally islamic with a christian minority, the Gbagyis are more religiously diverse with large christian population. Both groups most of the time always seem to go pari-pasu.

Re: Ethnic Groups That Always "Click" In Nigeria. by YourNemesis: 8:18pm On Nov 21, 2016
Hausa, Fulani and Kanuri

It goes without mention that The Hausas, the Fulanis and the Kanuris have some of the most closely knitted communities in Nigeria. Many a times, a lot of people can't differentiate between the three, especially in the urban centres of the north. inter marriage is very rife, and both groups also mostly speak Hausa as a second or additional language. Islam is another strong binding factor that keeps these three groups mostly together. The Seven states of Nigeria's north-west are mostly a mixture of Hausas and Fulanis- and while almost all northern emirs are Fulani by origin, they have adopted the hausa lifestyle. Politically they vote as a single bloc most of the time and seem not to have conflicting interests. The three tribes are the stronghold of Nigeria's north.

Re: Ethnic Groups That Always "Click" In Nigeria. by YourNemesis: 8:19pm On Nov 21, 2016
Yoruba, Edos and Itsekiri

Say no more. The Yorubas, Edos and Itsekiris are like three peas in a pod or three points that make a triangle. They have been together since far back in history exchanging ideas and culture. The Itsekiris speak a language that is described by some as "Almost Yoruba" and by others as a Yoruba dialect. While the Yorubas and Edoid tribes seem to have influenced one another historically, the Itsekiris seem to be historical Yorubas influenced by an Edo culture in a riverine environment. Intermarriage between the three is very common. The various Yoruba sub-tribes are ruled by various Obas, most prominent of which seem to be the Ooni of Ife (which Yorubas regard as their ancestral home) and the Alaafin of Oyo, which was once their political capital, while the Binis are ruled by their Oba. The itsekiris are ruled by the Olu of Warri. Hardly do I ever see any of these three fighting about anything serious. Aside the usual Whose Oba is the biggest banter.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ethnic Groups That Always "Click" In Nigeria. by YourNemesis: 8:20pm On Nov 21, 2016
Igala and Idoma.

Igalas and Idomas are two neighboring tribes in Central Nigeria. The Igalas are predominantly found in Kogi East senatorial Zone, While the Idomas are in the western parts of Benue State. There are also Idoma villages in Kogi state as well. Both tribes claim to have come from Kwararafa empire of the Jukuns which later became what was known as the Wukari confederacy. While the Igalas speak a language closely related to Yoruba, the Idomas speak a language that seem to be on its own related to no neighboring language but years of living close-by has led to a lot of cultural and ideological exchanges. Intermarriage is very common, and some Igalas towns like Ankpa seem to have very strong Idoma elements while many Idomas have also adopted historical Igala names and customs.

Re: Ethnic Groups That Always "Click" In Nigeria. by YourNemesis: 8:22pm On Nov 21, 2016
Igbo, Annang and Ibibio

The Igbos geographically live in East central Nigeria, while the Annang and ibibios live in South-Eastern Nigeria proper. These three tribes always seem to go pari pasu, especially with Igbos of Abia and Ebonyi states. They are neighboring tribes that have related extensively over the years, from the historic formation of Arochukwu town from an Igbo-ibibio blend, to the shared customs of the Okonko cult, and Ekpe (Ibibio for Leopard). Aro traders were also once active in the Annang-Ibibio cultural area. The historical oracle of the Aro people known as Ibini Ukpabi is said to be of Ibibio origin as well.
Intermarriages are very common, there is no clear cut boundary between Annang and Ngwa/Abia communities and there seems to be some degree of spill over from both sides into the other.

7 Likes

Re: Ethnic Groups That Always "Click" In Nigeria. by YourNemesis: 8:23pm On Nov 21, 2016
Southern Kaduna and Plateau tribes.

The numerous tribes of Southern Kaduna and Plateau state always jive together, They have similar origins, cultured and are mostly Christians in a Northern Nigeria politically dominated by the muslim trio of Hausa, Fulani and Kanuri. The Tyaps, Jarawas, Beroms, Ngas, Kagoro, Afizere, Geomai, Koftar, Piapun, Tarok are just a few of the tribes in this very diverse area. The villages of these groups are all interlinked in both Kaduna and plateau states. intermarriage between all of them is an everyday thing.

Re: Ethnic Groups That Always "Click" In Nigeria. by YourNemesis: 8:25pm On Nov 21, 2016
Urhobo and Isoko

Urhobo and Isokos have always been together from the dawn of time. They are so closely interlinked that some don't even consider them different tribes. They speak similar dialects, eat the same food, have the same clothing, and inhabit the same state. Left to me, the division between these two groups seem to be more political than cultural. There are clans of some ethnic groups in Nigeria who have bigger differences between them than that which exist between urhobo and Isoko. Intermarriage is not even an issue and happens every other day.

While the above listed groups are quite close, I am not implying that each of the afore mentioned groups are close to just one group alone, some ethnic groups share close history or relationships with more than one other group, but these seem to be their closest matches.
What other tribes share a very close, almost brotherly relationship? share your thoughts ....

1 Like

Re: Ethnic Groups That Always "Click" In Nigeria. by OPCNAIRALAND: 8:25pm On Nov 21, 2016
People come up with absurd thoughts and fantasies and slap online.

OP, if you had said people that get along based on religion Id agree to your take on Hausa/Fulani/Kanuri. Ethnically, Kanuri does not get along with those two. Kanuri is far civilized and more developed than these two.

2 Likes

Re: Ethnic Groups That Always "Click" In Nigeria. by YourNemesis: 8:27pm On Nov 21, 2016
Ultimately, most tribes in Nigeria are relating well these days (mostly), especially since many are melting together in the urban areas.
Just thought, I would share with the NL Super audience.

cc: Seun, Lalasticlala.
Re: Ethnic Groups That Always "Click" In Nigeria. by YourNemesis: 8:30pm On Nov 21, 2016
OPCNAIRALAND:

OP, if you had said people that get along based on religion Id agree to your take on Hausa/Fulani/Kanuri. Ethnically, Kanuri does not get along with those two. Kanuri is far civilized and more developed than these two.

Do you even understand the premise of my thread?
Why don't you go the average street in central Kano, and indicate who is Kanuri or Hausa.
It is a known fact that Hausas, Kanuris and Fulanis have very close relationship in Nigeria, denying that is just denying the obvious. I am not saying their relationship is perfect, but it is quite smooth.

1 Like

Re: Ethnic Groups That Always "Click" In Nigeria. by YourNemesis: 8:34pm On Nov 21, 2016
Re: Ethnic Groups That Always "Click" In Nigeria. by decatalyst(m): 8:38pm On Nov 21, 2016
I be Yoruba boi and I click with "any body"!

If you mess up, I put you in your place! No time for general nonsense! cool

6 Likes

Re: Ethnic Groups That Always "Click" In Nigeria. by Young03(m): 8:43pm On Nov 21, 2016
it may be true sha
cc rukkydelta
Re: Ethnic Groups That Always "Click" In Nigeria. by Rukkydelta(f): 8:59pm On Nov 21, 2016
Hmmm Nice observation
Young03 thanks for the invite

1 Like

Re: Ethnic Groups That Always "Click" In Nigeria. by Young03(m): 9:02pm On Nov 21, 2016
Rukkydelta:
Hmmm Nice observation
Young03 thanks for the invite

how are u sweety?
Re: Ethnic Groups That Always "Click" In Nigeria. by Nobody: 9:08pm On Nov 21, 2016
Are you telling me that Ijaw people don't click with any other tribes?
Re: Ethnic Groups That Always "Click" In Nigeria. by PDJT: 9:16pm On Nov 21, 2016
Good try Op.
Re: Ethnic Groups That Always "Click" In Nigeria. by PDJT: 9:18pm On Nov 21, 2016
AfroSisi:

They probably "click" with themselves.

Meanwhile, any Oron, Efik, Ibibio, Eket, Annang or Ibeno lady here?
Re: Ethnic Groups That Always "Click" In Nigeria. by YourNemesis: 9:21pm On Nov 21, 2016
AfroSisi:

Ijaws are a special case.
Do Ijaws actually have any real friends? I might be a bit less informed in that arena, please which tribe do Ijaws go paripaso with?

2 Likes

Re: Ethnic Groups That Always "Click" In Nigeria. by kutchs: 9:42pm On Nov 21, 2016
PDJT:

They probably "click" with themselves.

Meanwhile, any Oron, Efik, Ibibio, Eket, Annang or Ibeno lady here?
Wet in happen?
Na for nairaland you wan find wife?
Re: Ethnic Groups That Always "Click" In Nigeria. by tysontim(m): 9:49pm On Nov 21, 2016
I saw one Urhobo guy telling us of how Ijaws are good, that they prefer them rather than other tribes. So is safe to say that IJAW and Urhobo are one.
Re: Ethnic Groups That Always "Click" In Nigeria. by YonkijiSappo: 9:55pm On Nov 21, 2016
Yoruba and Ebira also click very well from my experience.

5 Likes

Re: Ethnic Groups That Always "Click" In Nigeria. by PDJT: 10:05pm On Nov 21, 2016
kutchs:

Wet in happen?
Na for nairaland you wan find wife?

And you are?
Re: Ethnic Groups That Always "Click" In Nigeria. by Nobody: 12:46pm On Nov 22, 2016
Itsekiri wha

Their babes..... No go lipsrsealed
Re: Ethnic Groups That Always "Click" In Nigeria. by sanandreas(m): 1:37pm On Nov 22, 2016
tysontim:
I saw one Urhobo guy telling us of how Ijaws are good, that they prefer them rather than other tribes. So is safe to say that IJAW and Urhobo are one.

The Ijaws are urhobo cousin but recently they have been aggressive. They are still our brother.
Re: Ethnic Groups That Always "Click" In Nigeria. by Kyase(m): 1:50pm On Nov 22, 2016
The only tribe with no duplicate in Nigeria.

TIV
Re: Ethnic Groups That Always "Click" In Nigeria. by drealzum(m): 12:54pm On Nov 26, 2016
There are lot of bogus and blanket statement in this thread.
Islam is the only thing that relates Kanuri,Hausa and Fulani.
There is a wide cultural difference between Hausa and Fulani. Dressing and language wise. They only form alliance for political purpose and true according to your post the click. But what join them with kanuri? Have you been to Maiduguri before? They speak more kanuri than Hausa there o. Most southerners use to think all Northerners speak Hausa. na lie. Go to plateau. My Junior brother can't speak Hausa. My grand ma lived 80 years on this earth and spoke only ngas with her mates in the village. So Hausa don't click with kanuri even politically sef. Yobe and Borno state have always being an ANPP state as compared to north western states. I repeat only Islam link those people.

Number 2 is my state plateau with Southern Kaduna.
We are just related as middle beltans same way we are related with jukuns from Taraba. But to say we are one na lie. Even in plateau states Taroh and Birom don't click even one. they are enemies.
You should have just put picture of middle belt. oh yes I know middle belt tend to move together politically. but it goes beyond southern Kd and jos.
Mada,Eggon,Kilba,jukun,Jaba,bajju,gbayi,nupe,ngas and birom all click.

2 Likes

Re: Ethnic Groups That Always "Click" In Nigeria. by Nobody: 1:26pm On Nov 26, 2016
AfroSisi:
Yes. They don't.
Re: Ethnic Groups That Always "Click" In Nigeria. by Nobody: 6:51am On May 13, 2017
OPCNAIRALAND:

This without a doubt proves the depth of your ignorance and hatred for hausas and fulanis. I have never had any instance where i felt animosity towards, or was victim of prejudice towards kanuris. If theres any alternate perception towards kanuris its the opposite of what you ignorantly claim, that they are a bit extreme when its comes too religion and less progressive in other aspects. Case and point, take borno and yobe for instance and the fact that 90% of boko haram members are kanuris.

But like i said, there is absolutely zero animosity between hausas, fulanis and kanuris except sentiments you ignorant lot feel you need to stir up out of jealously or ignorance.
Re: Ethnic Groups That Always "Click" In Nigeria. by Nobody: 6:59am On May 13, 2017
drealzum:
There are lot of bogus and blanket statement in this thread.
Islam is the only thing that relates Kanuri,Hausa and Fulani.
There is a wide cultural difference between Hausa and Fulani. Dressing and language wise. They only form alliance for political purpose and true according to your post the click. But what join them with kanuri? Have you been to Maiduguri before? They speak more kanuri than Hausa there o. Most southerners use to think all Northerners speak Hausa. na lie. Go to plateau. My Junior brother can't speak Hausa. My grand ma lived 80 years on this earth and spoke only ngas with her mates in the village. So Hausa don't click with kanuri even politically sef. Yobe and Borno state have always being an ANPP state as compared to north western states. I repeat only Islam link those people.
First of all the fact that you associate our political interests with parties is laughable. We have long learnt not to vote parties, but candidates. And if you check you'll find that we always vote the same person on the national scale.

As to your linguistic claims, i parially agree. Kanuris are very proud of their language and identity. But i assure you they mostly speak hausa as a second language. Example, Shekau. A pure kanuri man from Borno but chooses to speak to his followers who are mostly kanuris btw in hausa. Why would he speak to them in a language they dont understand.

And can you tell me how a fulani, hausa or kanuri man dress differently? except in the case of herdsmen who now mostly wear t shirts, i'd like to see you blabber about differentiating the dress code of ordinary or rich northerners.

Nothing more pathetic than when someone from the north central doesnt even understand the politics of the north. But i guess people like you are more middle beltan than northerners.

Number 2 is my state plateau with Southern Kaduna.
We are just related as middle beltans same way we are related with jukuns from Taraba. But to say we are one na lie. Even in plateau states Taroh and Birom don't click even one. they are enemies.
You should have just put picture of middle belt. oh yes I know middle belt tend to move together politically. but it goes beyond southern Kd and jos.
Mada,Eggon,Kilba,jukun,Jaba,bajju,gbayi,nupe,ngas and birom all click.
Funny how you are trying so hard to debunk his statements yet your comment is mostly in sync with what hes saying. It seems you have a sensitive disposition.

As far as i'm concerned, those from southern kaduna and plateau, not only act similarly but look exactly the same as well. Their accent when speaking hausa is very similar.
Re: Ethnic Groups That Always "Click" In Nigeria. by drealzum(m): 10:51am On May 13, 2017
[quote author=Ersan post=56472844]
First of all the fact that you associate our political interests with parties is laughable. We have long learnt not to vote parties, but candidates. And if you check you'll find that we always vote the same person on the national scale.

As to your linguistic claims, i parially agree. Kanuris are very proud of their language and identity. But i assure you they mostly speak hausa as a second language. Example, Shekau. A pure kanuri man from Borno but chooses to speak to his followers who are mostly kanuris btw in hausa. Why would he speak to them in a language he doesnt understand.

And can you tell me how a fulani, hausa or kanuri man dress differently? except in the case of herdsmen who now mostly wear t shirts, i'd like to see you blabber about differentiating the dress code of ordinary or rich northerners.

Nothing more pathetic than when someone from the north central doesnt even understand the politics of the north. But i guess people like you are more middle beltan than northerners.

Funny how you are trying so hard to debunk his statements yet your comment is mostly in sync with what hes saying. It seems you have a sensitive disposition.

As far as i'm concerned, those from southern kaduna and plateau, not only act similarly but look exactly the same as well. Their accent when speaking hausa is very similar. [/qu)

Lol Ersan. I admire your zeal towards convincing every one here with different opinion to yours on this topic.
It was a long time when I wrote what I said here and as time pass by we have different views and perspective to events.
I had to reread the post again to understand why I said what I wrote.
One thing I still find faulty in the writer's post and which is true is that Hausa,Fulani and kanuri vote as a single political bloc. Not until formation of APC,Kano,Kaduna,Katsina and most north western states were PDP states since 1999. Borno has always been an ANPP state. Even during 2011 election, Borno , yobe didn't vote PDP. APC brought this 3 together and the reason for that is a topic for another day.
Then for plateau and southern Kaduna, what I was trying to express was the disunity and lack of cooperation that exist among humanity. Every where we humans bring one reason or the other why we can't mix or interact with others. Go to Kaduna, Governorship election is between Christians and Muslim. People have created a divide, so for you to have balance,you have to get a Muslim governor and Christian deputy vice versa. In Plateau, where they are mostly Christians, they bring tribal divides, if berom will be governor then taroh has to be deputy or any random selections among the tribes. If you go to the south east where they are mostly Christians and Igbo's, they bring denominational divide. if Catholic is governor then Anglican has to be his deputy and vice versa. Now these are the kind of divisions that exist among humans. So you can't say Southern Kaduna and plateau click as one. There also exist a divide among them that they can't voice out as one. That was just something I was trying to clarify.

(1) (Reply)

Does NYSC Do POP On Sundays? , Dino Melaye Cert Read 8th July, 2001(photo) / PHOTOS: Bridge Collapse At Mokwa-jebba Road, Kwara State / Pic: Adopt This Method Instead Of Cattle Colony- Fayose

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.