Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,521 members, 7,819,875 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:35 AM

How Long Will It Take To Be A Good Manual Driver ??? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / How Long Will It Take To Be A Good Manual Driver ??? (1963 Views)

How Long Does It Take To Get A Driving License? / See How Long It Takes The World’s Richest People To Pay Off Their Cars / How Long Did It Take You To Learn How To Drive (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Long Will It Take To Be A Good Manual Driver ??? by torres89: 6:08pm On Nov 25, 2016
I just got a manual ride...

my question is what's the duration for me to become perfect on it.....

perfect as in I should be able to drive well on express...and perform necessary manipulations...

so if am taking too long or moving too slow in learning , I would know

my dad actually told me 3months....

but I feel it's too long for a smart guy like me...

expert manual drivers... please help

automatic drivers keep off....
Re: How Long Will It Take To Be A Good Manual Driver ??? by peterjero(m): 6:10pm On Nov 25, 2016
Approximately 1 week to 2 years depending on your smartness and courage.

1 Like

Re: How Long Will It Take To Be A Good Manual Driver ??? by KingRex1(m): 6:12pm On Nov 25, 2016
If you drive consistently.. From bad streets, through busy roads, to the express.
You need month or two.. Why? You may discover skills peculiar to urself or fit for ur car. You become your own master
Re: How Long Will It Take To Be A Good Manual Driver ??? by thesicilian: 6:31pm On Nov 25, 2016
peterjero:
Approximately 1 week to 2 years depending on your smartness and courage.
Agreed. You don't need more than a 3days to 1wk to learn manual transmission, but it takes years of experience to be a good driver.

2 Likes

Re: How Long Will It Take To Be A Good Manual Driver ??? by Kjnwancaro: 7:00pm On Nov 25, 2016
Do you already drive an auto tranny car? If yes then you will be good in less than a week.
Re: How Long Will It Take To Be A Good Manual Driver ??? by youngice(m): 7:01pm On Nov 25, 2016
thesicilian:

Agreed. You don't need more than a 3days to 1wk to learn manual transmission, but it takes years of experience to be a good driver.
Gbam
You can learn manual in 4 days
But it will take a while to master manual
Double shifting
Rev matching
Engine braking
Clutchless shifting
Down and Upshifting
Arrhhh manual is not sweet it is delicious

4 Likes

Re: How Long Will It Take To Be A Good Manual Driver ??? by thesicilian: 7:25pm On Nov 25, 2016
youngice:

Gbam
Double shifting
Rev matching
Engine braking
Gearless shifting
Down and Upshifting
I remember those days when I newly started manual. My car used to switch off at every junction. I would arrive the junction in gear 2, wait for the road to clear, then as I'm about to move I'll forget to shift to 1, so the engine would go off. It was so frustrating then, and dangerous since this also happened on express roads, until someone on Nairaland told me what the problem was
Re: How Long Will It Take To Be A Good Manual Driver ??? by youngice(m): 8:53pm On Nov 25, 2016
thesicilian:

I remember those days when I newly started manual. My car used to switch off at every junction. I would arrive the junction in gear 2, wait for the road to clear, then as I'm about to move I'll forget to shift to 1, so the engine would go off. It was so frustrating then, and dangerous since this also happened on express roads, until someone on Nairaland told me what the problem was
Loool this got me so many times, and you will now be sweating in AC

2 Likes

Re: How Long Will It Take To Be A Good Manual Driver ??? by thesicilian: 9:21pm On Nov 25, 2016
youngice:
Loool this got me so many times, and you will now be sweating in AC
Hahahaha, exactly.

3 Likes

Re: How Long Will It Take To Be A Good Manual Driver ??? by torres89: 2:19am On Nov 26, 2016
youngice:

Gbam
Double shifting
Rev matching
Engine braking
Clutchless shifting
Down and Upshifting

please if you don't mind, throw some light on all these shifting..

thanks
Re: How Long Will It Take To Be A Good Manual Driver ??? by ironheart(m): 3:34am On Nov 26, 2016
2 days.

Day1- sit in the car, memoris how gear position. How to clutch and shift.

Day2 - practice practice practice and learn not to stall

Day3 and to the rest of your life, shift like a pro

1 Like

Re: How Long Will It Take To Be A Good Manual Driver ??? by ironheart(m): 3:40am On Nov 26, 2016
youngice:

Gbam
Double shifting
Rev matching
Engine braking
Clutchless shifting
Down and Upshifting
wonder how you Google up stuff n you try doing them on modern cars.
Re: How Long Will It Take To Be A Good Manual Driver ??? by ZIMDRILL(m): 4:27am On Nov 26, 2016
youngice:

Gbam
Double shifting
Rev matching
Engine braking
Clutchless shifting
Down and Upshifting

Dont scare people all is for racing driver, normal driving you dont need all that

1 Like

Re: How Long Will It Take To Be A Good Manual Driver ??? by youngice(m): 6:21am On Nov 26, 2016
ZIMDRILL:

Dont scare people all is for racing driver, normal driving you dont need all that
I get bored when I drive
So the only thing I don't do is drift
Other than that, I do all these
ironheart:
wonder how you Google up stuff n you try doing them on modern cars.
Boredom is a bitc.h
torres89:

please if you don't mind, throw some light on all these shifting..
thanks
Double shifting: when the road is quite free and you might feel like skipping a gear
ie 1 3 5
Upshifting : normal shift i.e. U loose torque and rpm
Downshifting: going from a higher gear and a high/normal rpm to gain more torque/power/acceleration, used when you want to overtake in tight corners and you need a boost
Rev matching/clutchless shifting:Changing gear without clutching, only tried this one
Didn't like the it at all
Engine braking: braking without clutching engine and wheels loose power faster
Re: How Long Will It Take To Be A Good Manual Driver ??? by ironheart(m): 8:29am On Nov 26, 2016
youngice:

I get bored when I drive
So the only thing I don't do is drift
Other than that, I do all these
Boredom is a bitc.h

Double shifting: when the road is quite free and you might feel like skipping a gear
ie 1 3 5
Upshifting : normal shift i.e. U loose torque and rpm
Downshifting: going from a higher gear and a high/normal rpm to gain more torque/power/acceleration, used when you want to overtake in tight corners and you need a boost
Rev matching/clutchless shifting:Changing gear without clutching, only tried this one
Didn't like the it at all
Engine braking: braking without clutching engine and wheels loose power faster

i guess you drive an 80's car without a synchro. Cos any post 80 manual car has no need for double clutching. You can actually still skip gears if the road is flat, the RPM is right n the velocity is ok.
Re: How Long Will It Take To Be A Good Manual Driver ??? by phibetakappa: 6:38pm On Nov 27, 2016
If you have your own car, you should be OK with the gears and clutch within 3 months. The more you drive the more you get better. Driving is not only the ability to control the vehicle, it includes how to use the road, which many drivers lack.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Pls Suggest A Fast-moving Transport Route For Cars / Prices Of New And Tokunbo Cars In Nigeria. Brand New And Tokunbo / Top Check-engine-light Car Repairs

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.